Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

59 minutes ago, Chachie said:

I repeat: I don't think he'll be back.  😋

If we win 10, Jay should be headed to Canton & awarded a Nobel, an Academy award, a Pulitzer, a Grammy, a Golden Globe, a Golden Throne, the Turing award, & an MTV music award.

Pretty simple logic.  If he has a better grasp of the offense and can make the right reads and all the right throws and is better than Case Keenum then you start him right away and chances are he’s on track to be a pretty damn good QB.  If he is struggling and looking shaky, not able to beat out Case Keenum year one, good chance that he never really wows us as a QB.

29 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Pretty simple logic.  If he has a better grasp of the offense and can make the right reads and all the right throws and is better than Case Keenum then you start him right away and chances are he’s on track to be a pretty damn good QB.  If he is struggling and looking shaky, not able to beat out Case Keenum year one, good chance that he never really wows us as a QB.

Begs the question, how much better is Tyrod than Case.

7 hours ago, Chachie said:

TOTALLY agree about "has it or doesn't." I use this analogy for all sports players and I'm sure I've used here on ES.

Semi-agree about throwing him out there ASAP. My heart wants to see him week 1 but my head says let this guy learn from the sidelines. I've seen too many QBs become fantastic players by waiting with a clipboard for a season. 

I don't think Jay Gruden and his staff will be with us next year whether we see Dwayne this season or not so I'd rather see him learning the scheme of the new regime in 2020. 

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

Somewhat disagree.

I think to an extent you're correct, but I think that a guy either has the "potential" to be a top NFL QB or he doesn't...not "he is or he isn't". I think Haskins has the talent, smarts, and the character to be a top NFL QB, but I still don't think it's a good idea to throw him to the wolves unless they truly think he's ready and from what I've seen and read, he isn't. 

One thing to keep in mind is that for the most part the other guys sampled in the article that @Skinsinparadiseprovided (thanks!) had WAY more starting experience in college. Haskins had really barely mastered his college offense and next thing you know he's off to the NFL, where the speed and complexity is on a whole new level. If he'd been at least a 2 year starter (preferably 3+) then I'd say absolutely...see what he can do, he has enough experience. But I really don't think his footwork and mechanics had even caught up enough at the college level, let alone the NFL level.

IMO the issues I saw with him at the college level (inconsistent and sometimes slow/shoddy footwork, lower body not in sync with upper body, etc) he's now bringing to the NFL level and it's causing him problems...likely more problems than a guy with multiple years starting in college would have. So on top of having to learn a new and complex offense, adjust to the speed of the NFL, and adjust to complex NFL defenses, he's having to rapidly develop his footwork and mechanics. Yes, every rookie has to do that, but I think his refinements are more drastic than guys who have more experience. 

I'm not saying I wouldn't play him at all this year, but given what we've read, I'd be extremely hesitant about putting him out there unless he's truly ready. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he doesn't play at all this season, especially if we end up fielding a semi-competitive team. 

I'm not saying to start him tonight and every game from here on out. I'm not saying he's got it all down and has no issues.  I just believe wether you start him week 1, week 6, or week 12, will have no baring on wether he will sink or swim long term. A good QB learns and gets significantly better over time, regardless of his situation. It also doesnt mean that if you started him in week 6, he would be lights out, he may really struggle and look bad for a while.  Goff and Manning are good examples of looking really bad in the first year and growing greatly from that experience.  There is no greater substitute than actually doing it, a clipboard doesnt bite back.  Wether its week 1, 6, or 10, we'll know soon enough what we got and just how much it could grow from here on out...Excited.

Listen this guy will probably start at some point this year. With that being said he doesn't need to start the season as the starter. It would probably be bad for his career if they start him early.

Problem is Jay knows that, but Bruce and Snyder have the final  say. That means it's possible he starts the season as our starter. If that's the case don't expect this kid to be anything special.  

Those first two completions are why you draft him, the INTs are why he’s there at 15. Nothing unexpected, I think it just comes down to how bad he wants it & whether or not we have the coaches who can get it out of him. DH desperately needs to work on his feet, just get him into daily tap dancing classes & he’ll improve immediately. DH can’t process zones, that will take time, but the larger issue is how heavy his feet get when he’s in the pocket... he doesn’t move his feet & that makes the ball sail when his feet are lined up with the spot he anticipates his window being. This is simple; DH has the talent & work ethic, I don’t know if he will figure it out here, but the issues have been obvious for a year & they are correctable with repetition. He just got his first nfl reps - plenty to be excited about.

I was firmly in the let Haskins sit and learn this year camp before the game and I am still there but I was encouraged by some aspects of Haskins play tonight.  He seemed to understand what was going on since he either threw it or took off running, he didn't sit at the bottom of his drop looking down the field waiting to see someone break free like Griffin.  Haskins either threw the ball or tucked it and ran which makes me think he understands what he is doing which is all we could hope for this early into things.  Second,  he's quicker and more nimble than we were lead to expect which is a big plus.  Third, he slides!  So he seems to understand things, is decisive about throwing or running, moves quick enough to be effective and protects himself.  Wonderful!  

He threw a couple of picks.  The first one the guy was blanketed so it was foolish to throw it as for the second I am not even sure what was happening since the ball was so far from a Redskins receiver,  Maybe he just overthrew the target badly but it was so far off it could have been something else.  In any case, I was encouraged by want I saw from him.  To me playing QB is first understanding what you are trying to do and making quick decisions and he seems to get it I am encouraged.

He had highs he had lows. Overall I think he did ok for his first outing. Liked his poise, and his mobility.  Seemed to get into and out of the huddle well except for that first false start early. Gives me hope, he's got a gun. Liked his aggressiveness as well. He'll learn, it's a long process that was just started in May, today was a good step.

I saw nothing from Case Keenum to indicate to me he's a better option Week 1.  I know the beatwriters and fellow fans who went to Camp have touted the difference in arm talent that Colt/Case and Dwayne have...but man, that's more than I expected it to be.

1st interception I'm not sure why he didn't want to lead him, nobody was near that wheel route if he lofted it and let the RB run under it.  Maybe that's heavy feet, maybe he was lined up for more of an out route or backshoulder type of thing. (Edit: Rewatched it and nope...RB wasn't in the spot I thought he was, the LB there was in good position.  Dwayne should've backshouldered, threw it away, or looked elsewhere.)

I didn't like that sack he took.  I liked that he decided to protect his legs, but wish he could have done that at the same time as throwing the ball away.  Browns announcers were saying it was a missed protection call by Haskins.  It's pre-season, he wasn't hurt.  So silver linings.

I thought both Case was worse than Dwayne against interior pressure.  Is that rust?  Is that a sign of things to come?  Don't know.  QB play period (I know Colt didn't play) left this season as no more than 6 wins.  If Case just needs to shake off the rust and perform better in a muddied pocket, then maybe 8 wins is the ceiling.  With Dwayne, it's a "does he get it this game" type of thing.  I think as a rookie, right now, there will absolutely be games he single handedly loses as well as wins for us.  Is what we saw also rust?  Maybe?

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I saw nothing from Case Keenum to indicate to me he's a better option Week 1.  I know the beatwriters and fellow fans who went to Camp have touted the difference in arm talent that Colt/Case and Dwayne have...but man, that's more than I expected it to be.

1st interception I'm not sure why he didn't want to lead him, nobody was near that wheel route if he lofted it and let the RB run under it.  Maybe that's heavy feet, maybe he was lined up for more of an out route or backshoulder type of thing.

Clev baited him on that first int. Little zone dropped over the wheel. Rookie QB 101, zero concerns with that. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Clev baited him on that first int. Little zone dropped over the wheel. Rookie QB 101, zero concerns with that. 

Is Robert Davis supposed to "interfere" more with Mack Wilson's path?  Isn't that wheel route supposed to be open because the LB is stuck in traffic or am I wrong?

Doesn't change the decision to throw though, have a  beat to see what was unfolding and he still threw it.

Good NFL players usually come out guns blazing. Like Sean Taylor. Like Moreland tonight. Making excuses about steps and gradual improvement is nonsense.  Good players play well and get better especially in preseason when everything is vanilla. Bad players don’t. Haskins is not looking like a good player.

For a guy who had a 54 to 9 TD to int ratio to throw 2 horrendous picks and nearly fumble the ball on the sack against vanilla defense and backup NFL players is pretty alarming. It’s an infinitely small sample size but we’ve seen this movie before... 

He does have great arm strength but those picks were pretty bad. Far more likely a bust than not at this point...

8 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I didn't like that sack he took.  I liked that he decided to protect his legs, but wish he could have done that at the same time as throwing the ball away.  Browns announcers were saying it was a missed protection call by Haskins.  It's pre-season, he wasn't hurt.  So silver linings.

On that particular sack DH & the back each share some blame, the back & guard blocked the same guy ... DH will get rid of that in the future, he’s had the best blocking backs in football in his lone year starting. DH can get rid of it & communicate it better, but that’s a sack you see young guys take all day.

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Is Robert Davis supposed to "interfere" more with Mack Wilson's path?  Isn't that wheel route supposed to be open because the LB is stuck in traffic or am I wrong?

Doesn't change the decision to throw though, have a  beat to see what was unfolding and he still threw it.

That route v that zone is pretty dead, you want the rb to take the lb out & a wr should sit in the spot vacated by the lb; it’s tough to pick v zone on the sideline, it’s just a misread.

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Good NFL players usually come out guns blazing. Like Sean Taylor. Like Moreland tonight. Making excuses about steps and gradual improvement is nonsense.  Good players play well and get better especially in preseason when everything is vanilla. Bad players don’t. Haskins is not looking like a good player.

For a guy who had a 54 to 9 TD to int ratio to throw 2 horrendous picks and nearly fumble the ball on the sack against vanilla defense and backup NFL players is pretty alarming. It’s an infinitely small sample size but we’ve seen this movie before... 

He does have great arm strength but those picks were pretty bad. Far more likely a bust than not at this point...

The defense wasn’t vanilla. 

*Lock has looked much better in his 2nd start than he did a week ago. Rookie QBs have the toughest job in sports... I guarantee his nerves were beyond what most of us can imagine, it’s a crazy experience for these guys, even the first preseason game... it’s a shock to the system.

During pre-season baseball, pitchers throw balls in spots to test their limitations. QBs throw balls in windows to test the waters also (sort a speak). Admittedly so, Haskins had bad throws on the two interceptions. These weren't let me see what I can do against this coverage. Bad throws, plain and simple.

But hey, bad throws are a part of the game. And to that, its his first NFL game, he's playing with a lot guys he won't see in a couple weeks and he's young.

1 minute ago, joeken24 said:

During pre-season baseball, pitchers throw balls in spots to test their limitations. QBs throw balls in windows to test the waters also (sort a speak). Admittedly so, Haskins had bad throws on the two interceptions. These weren't let me see what I can do against this coverage. Bad throws, plain and simple.

But hey, bad throws are a part of the game. And to that, its his first NFL game, he's playing with a lot guys he won't see in a couple weeks and he's young

Spot on, imo.

Archived