Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Listen to the press conference again. He said he can't coach 1 player when there are 52 other guys who want to win. He said fans don't see the faces of the rest of the team who want to win. He blamed Haskins. And that wasn't a leak, that was from the coach's mouth. 

And when you bust your QB down to third string and make no other changes, you are saying loud and clear that the QB is the problem.

6 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

He stinks now. But as the Giants stick with him and we see him grow, people will be saying why didn't we develop Haskind. 

Look at Campbell's early carerr numbers. Close to Eli but one was given time and consistency one wasn't. We set who developed. 

wait....did you just compare Eli to Jason Campbell???

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well, it was 2 2nds. And players available at those slots:

2019: Greedy Williams, Juan Thornhill, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf

2020: Pittman, Kmet, McKinney, Shenault...

It was only one 2nd during that year (of starting 0-5), which is what I was referring to.

And if we had taken another WR at that spot, I really doubt we would have still drafted Terry in the 3rd.

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I don't think they're insinuating it. They called him out on it. And it's been an issue since he came into the league.

Okay, who called him out?  Give me a name.

I don't think coming to work at 8 vs 9 makes much of a difference.  Heck, I work extra from home sometimes, and people won't know about it.

Nobody know his work ethic.  Only Haskins knows about it.

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Listen to the press conference again. He said he can't coach 1 player when there are 52 other guys who want to win. He said fans don't see the faces of the rest of the team who want to win. He blamed Haskins. And that wasn't a leak, that was from the coach's mouth. 

OK if its all about the leaks who do you think is reponsible for them?  You were very defensive about Bruce and the previous regime -- you defended them for years.  And we had leaks like crazy under that regime.  i don't recall you going off on that regime about it unless am forgetting some posts?

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

He stinks now. But as the Giants stick with him and we see him grow, people will be saying why didn't we develop Haskind. 

Look at Campbell's early carerr numbers. Close to Eli but one was given time and consistency one wasn't. We set who developed. 

Oh, I forgot you are still one of those Jason Campbell What-if-ers.

How long do you think Jones rope is?  You can only let a guy go out there and turn it over but so much before you have to pull the plug.  That said, in today’s NFL I’d gather teams may be more willing to provide a longer rope for guys that can be elusive and make plays with their legs.

1 minute ago, skins4eva said:

wait....did you just compare Eli to Jason Campbell???

That's what we did every day on here in the 2005 to 2008 years. And yes they were similar. It was a discussion on the John Riggins show and many callers said JC, many said Eli because of his risk taking. Remember Tiki said Eli would never win as ring. 

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's a very telling sign, regarding Rivera's mindset, that even though Allen was medically cleared to return in the 2nd half, that he stuck with Smith the rest of the way

Rivera seems to be flying off the cuff, in my opinion. Think he just went with the moment. But ya, he’s made it clear he’s neutral on Allen. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nope I won't change my tune if that happened.  I like Rivera and i'll give him some time.  If we are on year #3 and we got issues, then my mind likely changes.

Changing culture doesn't happen overnight.   We can say all day long that Rivera is being power hungry here but by just about every count not only does Kyle Smith agree with Rivera but so do the scouts in that building.  So this likely involves every key decision maker in the organization not just Ron.  Now if I heard Kyle disagreed with Rivera that might get my attention some but the narrative is the opposite of that. 

So the lone wolf of Rivera against the world would be an interesting narrative maybe in another situation.  But it has no bearing on this one.  This one by most accounts is Dan Snyder against the HC and FO.  And heck maybe Dan decided to back off for a change and if so that's progress albeit i suspect it might be fleeting on that count, will see. 

I get taking the macro view, but how do you feel up to this point? 

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is the truth.  Daniel Jones will eventually be a starter in the league because the Giants play the long game very well.  They know patience.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK if its all about the leaks who do you think is reponsible for them?  You were very defensive about Bruce and the previous regime -- you defended them for years.  And we had leaks like crazy under that regime.  i don't recall you going off on that regime about it unless am forgetting some posts?

I didn't think the leaks came from Bruce as the media was always so sure they did. If they were so sure them it meant they knew more than they were telling. But now he's gone and same leaks, same type.

1 minute ago, redskins59 said:

This is the truth.  Daniel Jones will eventually be a starter in the league because the Giants play the long game very well.  They know patience.

You're probably right. There is nothing Haskins did to earn this demotion. Poor kid. Such a victim.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And when you bust your QB down to third string and make no other changes, you are saying loud and clear that the QB is the problem.

I agree but to me it screams that it goes beyond just his play. 

I can't just dismiss the rumors about Haskins work ethic (which began way before Rivera even got here) the agent's comment, players thoughts, etc, just because hey WFT does bad things.  For me to buy that, it comes off like an old school vampire movie where Rivera was the good guy and all of a sudden he becomes a vampire like everyone else or maybe he was a vampire all along and hid it for years.  The narrative to me comes off too weird to believe.   Rivera aside from being known as being a good coach is specifically known for his integrity.  I just don't get the plausibility of an argument that Rivera is targeting Haskins for just made up concerns about his intangibles.   

I got zero doubt that Rivera has genuine concerns about his intangibles and for me just to dismiss them because of what happened with Shanny and McNabb, Jay and RG3 or whatever -- just seems odd to me but each their own. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you buy the rumors, nope.  they didn't want to draft Jones at 15 either.  But supposedly they preferred Jones over Haskins if that's what you mean.   That part did come out.   Supposedly Jay would have preferred to go for a Qb in the 2nd round or later.  Not sure whom.  I would trust Jay and Kyle Smith's evaluation of the QB spot over Dan Snyder. 

So, say they had drafted Sweat at 15 and Lock in the 2nd round... what would have been different?  We'd be in nearly the same position as we are now.

Haskins has the stink of Snyder's support on him, but people love to say that as if the "football people" had a better plan.

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

I didn't think the leaks came from Bruce as the media was always so sure they did. If they were so sure them it meant they knew more than they were telling. But now he's gone and same leaks, same type.

Ashburn is a snake pit.  It could be anyone and everyone in the organization.  The culture here is poisonous.  And it's super disappointing to see the same games and internal politics being played by this new regime when they've been preaching competitiveness and culture change since they got hired.

8 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Okay, who called him out?  Give me a name.

I don't think coming to work at 8 vs 9 makes much of a difference.  Heck, I work extra from home sometimes, and people won't know about it.

Nobody know his work ethic.  Only Haskins knows about it.

Yep.....not true. Big difference in Haskins world......

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I get taking the macro view, but how do you feel up to this point? 

I am fine with everything.  I take the Haskins benching as a good culture move not a bad one. 

I like some moves, I don't like some others.  I like the first draft.  I like how they left cap room in FA to go for the kill next off season.  I like Rivera as a person.  Overall, positive.   But on the aggregate, I believe you got to give a coach some time for their plan to play out. 

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So, say they had drafted Sweat at 15 and Lock in the 2nd round... what would have been different?  We'd be in nearly the same position as we are now.

Haskins has the stink of Snyder's support on him, but people love to say that as if the "football people" had a better plan.

Who knows I am with Cooley on that one i think Lock > Haskins. 

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

You're probably right. There is nothing Haskins did to earn this demotion. Poor kid. Such a victim.

Apparantly, Daniel Jones has showed enough despite all his interceptions and fumbles:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/61378/daniel-jones-first-16-starts-enough-positives-to-give-giants-hope

The problem here in DC is the thinking that a QB cannot grow or develop.  

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am fine with everything.  I take the Haskins benching as a good culture move not a bad one. 

I like some moves, I don't like some others.  I like the first draft.  I like how they left cap room in FA to go for the kill next off season.  I like Rivera as a person.  Overall, positive.   But on the aggregate, I believe you got to give a coach some time for their plan to play out. 

Who knows I am with Cooley on that one i think Lock > Haskins. 

But it's not just Lock and Sweat. It's Lock, Sweat, and one of Pittman, Shenault, Kristan Fulton, etc.

1 minute ago, redskins59 said:

The problem here in DC is the thinking that a QB cannot grow or develop.  

Well, Cousins did. And he was at least decent. Haskins has not shown the work necessary--until there is concrete evidence of this, there is nothing really else.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

That's cool, but Haskins has played better as a pro.

Disagree.  Lock with a 46.6 career QBR, Haskins with a 29 career QBR.   Lock is hurt right now. 

But even if I agreed with you, I believe more in Lock's skill set than Haskins.  He'd be a dude I'd be more inclined to give more patience for than Haskins.  i wasn't in love with Lock either but liked him over Jones and Haskins.  Will see how it all plays out.

Look, if Zampese and Rivera change their mind and say Haskins is burning it in practice or whatever, I'd change my mind.  I am open on any young QB even Haskins and Jones.  I don't consider myself or anyone on this board as having the defnitive opinion about any player especially a QB, that would be silly.  The coaches not only bring more expertise but also have a ton more info and data than we do about said player.   But if the powers that be aren't sold, then that's good enough for me. 

Archived