Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

@Skinsinparadise, will you change your tune on Rivera if he lets Kyle Smith go this offseason in favor of hiring "his guy" from Carolina, Marty Hurney, once his contract expires this season?

Nope I won't change my tune if that happened.  I like Rivera and i'll give him some time.  If we are on year #3 and we got issues, then my mind likely changes.

Changing culture doesn't happen overnight.   We can say all day long that Rivera is being power hungry here but by just about every count not only does Kyle Smith agree with Rivera but so do the scouts in that building.  So this likely involves every key decision maker in the organization not just Ron.  Now if I heard Kyle disagreed with Rivera that might get my attention some but the narrative is the opposite of that. 

So the lone wolf of Rivera against the world would be an interesting narrative maybe in another situation.  But it has no bearing on this one.  This one by most accounts is Dan Snyder against the HC and FO.  And heck maybe Dan decided to back off for a change and if so that's progress albeit i suspect it might be fleeting on that count, will see. 

22 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Snyder will never not have a say in who his franchise QB will be.  Simple as that.  If that's your excuse for the mishandling of the current situation, I'm not sure why you guys are still here, because that will never change.

You think he will once again go over his HC and talent evaluator’s heads to overdraft a guy that only he wants? Because that’s what you’re saying. Rivera will get his guy whenever that opportunity arises, Snyder isn’t taking a guy no one wants again for a while. He has no Allen or Vinny to enforce his will and guys like Rivera aren’t being told who to draft like a lame duck Gruden (who had to listen to Allen, Gruden had no power—again, that figure isn’t here any more).

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

playmaking instincts, decision-making skills, ability to read coverages and make adjustments pre and post snap...ability navigate the pocket, accuracy, arm talent, toughness, efficiency and ability to keep the chains moving, ability to operate a pass heavy offense and fully utilize his personnel.

He showed this in 2 starts in the NFL, out of 11. There's a lot of objective analysis that shows how he doesn't possess these skills at an NFL level. How did this organization fail him if he is unwilling to put in the work? That's the big red flag for me. There have been multiple years of reports saying his work ethic was lacking. He may have worked HARDER, but not hard enough. 

It's moot at this point, his future here is pretty much done. I trust Rivera and Ken Zampese over a Snyder-forced pick.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

We're like, 9 months in.  

You can't evaluate a QB in 11 games... but you sure as heck can evaluate a regime in 9 months. 

Joking aside... I can't blame anyone for being beaten down to a bloody mix of entrails and dreams. This franchise is really hard to stay a fan of...

We don't even have a name :ols:

But... I think emotions are taking over for a lot of people...

And again... I can't blame anyone for that. I just can't follow the logic...

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

He showed this in 2 starts in the NFL, out of 11. There's a lot of objective analysis that shows how he doesn't possess these skills at an NFL level. How did this organization fail him if he is unwilling to put in the work? That's the big red flag for me. There have been multiple years of reports saying his work ethic was lacking. He may have worked HARDER, but not hard enough. 

It's moot at this point, his future here is pretty much done. I trust Rivera and Ken Zampese over a Snyder-forced pick.

You have to put QBs in position to succeed or they will fail.  You have to give them reliable protection.  They have to be able to anticipate with consistent accuracy where they're going to be getting pressure on their reps.  They have to be able to look downfield to make their reads.  Our QBs clearly can't do that right now, the protection calls have been a mess and the OL has been awful.  And it's pretty clear to me that Dwayne has done a better job managing his protection and reading pressure than any of our other QBs over the past two years.  You have to give QBs weapons for them to make plays.  Not even just make plays, but to function and be able to take just what the defense gives you, you need competent starters at the skill positions.  Guys who can get off of the line of scrimmage against a press.  Guys who can make the right reads and run the right routes.  We've got one guy worth a damn.  You've got to coach well and run a strong scheme with playcallers who can be excellent at calling situational football.  Turner already looks terrible, and his learning on the job has decapitated the offense.

But before you even get to those other considerations of system, your staff has to be genuinely committed to developing a prospect and propping him up and protecting him through the highs and lows of the development phase, until he reaches a point in his career where he gets good enough to prop you up.  This is something that is so basic and the errors we've made in doing this are so astounding and obvious that the only explanation for making them is incompetence.  The franchise is fundamentally unstable and incompetent.  We will sabotage and ruin any QB prospect we draft until we see a fundamental change in the way the FO and coaching staff are composed and operate.

Just now, KDawg said:

You can't evaluate a QB in 11 games... but you sure as heck can evaluate a regime in 9 months. 

Don't worry, those goalposts will move to fit the agenda.

I really don't know what people wanted from this year. Things we have: a good, not great, DL (who got pretty much manhandled by a good OL today), 2 maybe 3 decent to good CBs, 1 WR, and 1 RB. That's it.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

I really don't know what people wanted from this year. Things we have: a good, not great, DL (who got pretty much manhandled by a good OL today), 2 maybe 3 decent to good CBs, 1 WR, and 1 RB. That's it.

You forgot a punter. We have a punter.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Joking aside... I can't blame anyone for being beaten down to a bloody mix of entrails and dreams. This franchise is really hard to stay a fan of...

then you need to go away and stop inflicting yourself on the people who still have hope, or like the team, because by what measure are you still a fan at that point?

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think we have 2 RBs and I like our corners when they're in man

2 minutes ago, carex said:

then you need to go away and stop inflicting yourself on the people who still have hope, or like the team, because by what measure are you still a fan at that point?

I think you're mixing me up with someone else.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well, emotions get in the way of logic, usually.  So there's that.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You have to put QBs in position to succeed or they will fail.

But there are numerous plays a game that Haskins misses. He has the time, he has open receives and he misses them--either doesn't see them, or his mechanics get all out of whack and he sails it. You're speaking in hypotheticals, but ignoring the concrete evidence. They tailored the offense towards him and he still struggled. I am not sure what else people expect. I understand the surrounding cast isn't good, but neither was Haskins.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But before you even get to those other considerations of system, your staff has to be genuinely committed to developing a prospect and propping him up and protecting him through the highs and lows of the development phase, until he reaches a point in his career where he gets good enough to prop you up.  This is something that is so basic and the errors we've made in doing this are so astounding and obvious that the only explanation for making them is incompetence. 

If he is unwilling to put in the work--and we have YEARS (plural) of reports from all layers of evaluation saying so--why should we waste more time? It takes effort on the player's part. If he is not putting in that time, he is not going to get better--the coaches can't do it for him.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I am far from a fan of watching Alex Smith play quarterback.  That said, you can’t be serious.  Dude had 17 surgeries on his leg and hasn’t taken a live snap in 2 years, enters a sloppy game with Wes Martin briefly standing between him and Aaron Donald.  

Goes back to coaching. He should not have been the backup. If you want to punish Haskins give the ball to Allen but making Smith the #2 is unforgivable. I applaud the guys comeback but...

7 minutes ago, carex said:

Oooo let's do a poll where people vote whether to keep Carex the eternal homer or KDawg.  Loser leaves for good.  You agree to these terms?

11 minutes ago, carex said:

You’re in the Haskins thread. If he’s such a bust and not worth discussing, why are people even in this thread?  Why inflict yourself on people who still support Haskins?

What Dwaynes agent said was dumb, but he wasn’t wrong. Only the greatest qbs of the game can turn garbage into wine. ( Rodgers/Brady/etc). We have the worst TE group in the league. A terribly subpar OL, a rookie rb who was a wr in college, a Greenhorn OC, brand new coach, no training camp, and 1 wr who gets doubled or tripled every down. 

There’s no possibility of success unless played perfectly. I didn’t agree with the benching because outside of all those factors, you can’t say we are evaluating the season, then at the same time make a move to win the division... if anything, the fact that the division is struggling is reason to ride the young guy, not give up 

Archived