Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, Poindexter said:

I'm really not worried about those rumors.  We have 2 really really good WRs in McLaurin and Sims.

Sims is a target monster and McLaurin is just a very well-rounded WR.  We also have Harmon who is very hunger as well.

I would much rather miss out on the Paul Richardson's of the world and stick with the group we have.  We are guaranteed to find another diamond in the draft, especially at the WR position.  Haskins has put in work and I think it will show.  Priority #1 is getting a LT to protect him.

I'm not worried either, yes he would have improved our offense but that's a steep cost for a team who will have to pay Jonathan Allen soon and an entire DLine of 1st round picks in the future. I don't think Amari Cooper is the type of player you want 20 million dollars strapped to, he's super inconsistent. 

Hello Everyone! GM Mock draft starts at Noon tomorrow. Rosters will be locked down at Noon Tomorrow, First pick is at 12pm tomorrow!! 

Please send in your listS of preferred players to me or @goskins10 to keep the draft moving. Let’s really try to get through this with a little urgency. Best way to avoid Long waits is to just send us your lists.

Interesting snippet in John Kiems piece about the Kyle Allen signing. Seems Haskins is getting a head start on the playbook ...

“Haskins must piece together offensive coordinator Scott Turner's system by watching film and studying the routes favored in Carolina the past two seasons. He's been doing all of that, then throwing passes on all those routes in individual workouts this spring. Haskins has talked to others he knows around the league about the offense, and he works with people who know the system.“

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39766/what-does-redskins-kyle-allen-trade-mean-for-dwayne-haskins

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

How is Haskins throwing to people during spring workouts when the nation is basically in quarantine?

Its been spring for 5 days.

I mean as long as he's throwing passes to guys at least six feet away he's good. Just don't be John Beck-ing up the joint.

On 3/23/2020 at 6:07 PM, MartinC said:

Interesting snippet in John Kiems piece about the Kyle Allen signing. Seems Haskins is getting a head start on the playbook ...

“Haskins must piece together offensive coordinator Scott Turner's system by watching film and studying the routes favored in Carolina the past two seasons. He's been doing all of that, then throwing passes on all those routes in individual workouts this spring. Haskins has talked to others he knows around the league about the offense, and he works with people who know the system.“

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39766/what-does-redskins-kyle-allen-trade-mean-for-dwayne-haskins

Perhaps, reborn samurai this one is.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:44 PM, volsmet said:

What makes me like this even more is that Del Rio doesn’t say this without Riverboat’s direct or implied consent.

Old Ron has to maintain the appearance of unbiased arbiter of a fair competition between Kyle and Dwyane— he’s the proverbial bad cop. JDR is the good cop, letting Haskins know where “they” really stand.

16 minutes ago, SumTingWong said:

What makes me like this even more is that Del Rio doesn’t say this without Riverboat’s direct or implied consent.

Old Ron has to maintain the appearance of unbiased arbiter of a fair competition between Kyle and Dwyane— he’s the proverbial bad cop. JDR is the good cop, letting Haskins know where “they” really stand.

September 2019, he had no reason to say anything supportive of DH at all. 

This sentiment below from that same Keim article seems to be a theme, too from some covering this story.  Rivera's comment about Haskins-QB competition had much praise for Kyle Allen.  Bucky Brooks who seemed wired in to the Redskins FO last year -- basically said some at Redskins Park see Kyle Allen as a starter caliber QB.  Ditto a Carolina reporter who said the same yesterday as for what he heard back when Rivera/Turner were in Carolina.

I don't have an opinion on Kyle Allen yet but i am thinking this acquisition might lead a real Qb competition in camp. 

Haskins cannot relax: Allen started 12 games for Carolina last season -- and 13 in his two years -- and knows the offense well, having spent two years with Turner. Allen won his first four starts before losing seven of his last eight. He is reuniting with a staff that felt comfortable starting him -- and even had success with him in the short term. Allen doesn't project to be a frontline starter, but he can run the offense. If Haskins struggles picking it up in an offseason that could be devoid of workouts, then Washington can turn to Allen. While Allen entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent, he was a five-star recruit in high school and has a strong arm. His demeanor and locker room presence in Carolina earned praise, too. And, he's 4-4 on the road as a starting quarterback.

Haskins, the 2019 first-round pick, should be the Redskins' No. 1 guy, but he will have to earn the job.

Bullock like Bucky Brooks worships Haskins or close enough.  So interesting they both see him as a threat.  I know there are some beat guys who see it as a yawn acquisition and presents no threat to Haskins.   I got to watch Kyle Allen to make up my own mind.   But I agree in theory that he can be a threat in part because of his past with Rivera/Turner. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.26.58 AM.png

For all of the debate about our QB position, the combination/competition lined up between Haskins and Allen is a fairly good outcome. Haskins get his chance, but he will have to excel in order to fight off Allen, who definitely has an inside track with the coaching staff. 

Will be an interesting battle.

38 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

For all of the debate about our QB position, the combination/competition lined up between Haskins and Allen is a fairly good outcome. Haskins get his chance, but he will have to excel in order to fight off Allen, who definitely has an inside track with the coaching staff. 

I agree. I love the competition brought in at all positions. Training camp has alot more intrigue and preseason games have a bit more sizzle when you evaluate depth 1-2-3 across the board. I think we may find a few surprises and less drop off with inevitable injury.

With all that being said I think the draft might have a slightly different feel to it. Going for impact and high potential players as opposed to safe picks. Chase Young at 2, but after that I think we see high upside talent.(BPA)

45 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Two very talented cheap QBs, yes please. Unfortunately.... Smith. 

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, I think we save $16.2mm total if we cut him this year with a June 1 designation, right?

roughly his cap his this year is 21mi. 

cutting him creates a total dead cap hit of 32mi. As a post 1st June that puts 16mil this year and 16mil next.

so we gain 5 mil this year (21-16) whilst taking 16 through the cap next season.

there is some debate as to what happens with the 12mil insurance policy we have on Smith. I think that also pro rata’s off the dead cap.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

roughly his cap his this year is 21mi. 

cutting him creates a total dead cap hit of 32mi. As a post 1st June that puts 16mil this year and 16mil next.

so we gain 5 mil this year (21-16) whilst taking 16 through the cap next season.

there is some debate as to what happens with the 12mil insurance policy we have on Smith. I think that also pro rata’s off the dead cap.

Hmmm.

I was basing my calculation of this OvertheCap page: https://overthecap.com/player/alex-smith/784/

If you add up the "Cut pre-June 1" numbers in the "Dead Money" column through 2022, it equals $48.4mm.  But if you toggle down to the "Cut post-June 1" view, the numbers add up to $32.2mm.  The difference pre vs post June 1 over the remainder of his contract is $16.2mm.  The same is true if you add up the numbers in the "Cap Savings" column by the way.

It would be nice if we got an additional $12mm on top of the $16.2mm via the insurance policy.

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Hmmm.

I was basing my calculation of this OvertheCap page: https://overthecap.com/player/alex-smith/784/

If you add up the "Cut pre-June 1" numbers in the "Dead Money" column through 2022, it equals $48.4mm.  But if you toggle down to the "Cut post-June 1" view, the numbers add up to $32.2mm.  The difference pre vs post June 1 over the remainder of his contract is $16.2mm.  The same is true if you add up the numbers in the "Cap Savings" column by the way.

It would be nice if we got an additional $12mm on top of the $16.2mm via the insurance policy.

don’t add the number up to get to 48.4, you just need the 2020 number.

that just shows how the actual deal cap decreases year on year. 

Archived