Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

52 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I really dislike quotes like this. Who is the source? Rick Snider will say he is familiar with the organization's thinking--doesn't mean his opinion matters more than a bag of dog**** to me...

This is why this quote doesn't matter a bit to me--Kiper and McShay are standard ESPN--sound bites and face time, accuracy and fact-telling be damned.

I don't see though how an opinion is fact telling?   We all got our takes here on Haskins.  There is no fact that Haskins is a franchise QB or for that matter that he isn't.  We all have our opinions based on what we think.  Kiper and McShay are no different 

I don't know if you ever listen to their podcasts but they are free flowing, they just expand on their thoughts more more so than they do on TV.  I don't think I've ever seen their podcast quotes turn into stories.  When they are on TV, it's a different story.

And yeah if you listen to them enough, it paints a picture.  I do think McShay genuinely isn't high on Haskins.  Kiper is back and forth on him, not really high, not really low.   Neither write him off but neither is in love with the dude and that's not hard to parcel out of their podcasts. 

Does their opinion matter?  Nope. But to my point that McShay says he'd consider Tua in the Redskins shoes.  I think he genuinely means it.  He's slammed Haskins on multiple podcasts.  And McShay has plenty of man crushes.  I think if he really dug Haskins, he'd say he does. 

23 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

WalterFootball has been pretty accurate, I think.

Yeah, they win.  Lol at Mel Kiper.

2019 NFL Mock Draft Accuracy

2019 Mock Drafts                                     2018 Mock Drafts                                 

Who has the most accurate NFL Mock Draft?
Our accuracy scores rate the first round predictions of Draft Analysts across four scoring categories. Analysts earn points based on their ability to correctly predict: 1) Draft slots for each player, 2) Rank within a position players will be drafted, 3) Positions (e.g. QB) each team will select, and 4) Teams that will pick each player. View full scoring methodology here

2019 NFL Mock Draft Accuracy | FantasyPros
Rank
Analyst
Points by Category
Draft Slots (?)
128 pts possible
Player Ranks (?)
96 pts possible
Positions (?)
64 pts possible
Teams (?)
32 pts possible
Total (?)
320 pts possible
1 Charlie Campbell - Walter Football 54 78 28 11 171
2 Walter Cherepinsky - Walter Football 55 71 34 9 169
3 Evan Silva - Rotoworld 52 78 26 10 166
4 Ben Standig - NBC Sports 57 70 28 11 166
5 Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz 56 73 26 10 165
6 Kevin Hanson - EDSFootball 47 78 26 13 164
7 Jason La Canfora - CBS Sports 47 79 30 7 163
8 Zach Berman - Philly.com 58 70 24 11 163
9 Scott Smith - RotoViz 50 73 28 12 163
10 Anthony Staggs - FF Statistics 50 73 30 8 161
11 Peter Schrager - NFL.com 52 75 24 10 161
12 Brad Richter - Going For 2 50 74 28 7 159
13 Dan Brugler - The Athletic 42 76 32 9 159
14 Daniel Jeremiah - NFL.com 48 78 24 9 159
15 Chris Trapasso - CBS Sports 52 73 26 8 159
16 Todd McShay - ESPN 50 73 28 8 159
17 Brendan Donahue - EDSFootball 52 77 22 8 159
18 Ken Zalis - Pressbox 48 77 24 9 158
19 Jenny Vrentas - The MMQB 54 68 26 10 158
20 Matt Miller - Bleacher Report 54 69 26 7 156
21 Luke Easterling - Draft Wire 50 75 24 7 156
22 Matthew Freedman - FantasyLabs 42 77 28 9 156
23 Dave Birkett - Detroit Free Press 57 70 22 6 155
24 Staff - Draft Site 51 69 28 7 155
25 Dan Turner - NFL Draft Zone 52 66 28 9 155
26 DJ Boyer - DraftSite 51 69 28 7 155
27 Elisha Twerski - Cheesehead TV 46 72 28 8 154
28 Nate Bouda - NFL Trade Rumors 46 70 28 10 154
29 Staff - Tankathon 45 78 24 7 154
30 Bryan Fischer - Athlon Sports 53 69 24 7 153
31 Chris Simms - Bleacher Report 50 66 30 6 152
32 Jimmy Kempski - Philly Voice 51 67 26 8 152
33 Rob Staton - Seahawks Draft Blog 48 74 22 7 151
34 Matthew Jones - Draft Examiner 45 71 24 11 151
35 Eric Galko - Optimum Scouting 47 71 24 8 150
36 Don Banks - Patriots.com 49 69 24 8 150
37 Jody Smith - FantasyPros 43 75 24 7 149
38 R.J. White - CBS Sports 48 69 24 7 148
39 Ryan McCrystal - Draft Ace 42 72 26 8 148
40 Ryan Wilson - CBS Sports 48 66 24 9 147
41 Peter King - The MMQB 50 66 22 8 146
42 Manish Mehta - NY Daily News 48 67 22 9 146
43 Jared Smola - Draft Sharks 38 74 26 8 146
44 Trevor Sikkema - The Draft Network 50 63 22 10 145
45 Josh Norris - Rotoworld 40 68 30 7 145
46 Bob Glauber - Newsday 47 73 18 7 145
47 Brad Biggs - Chicago Tribune 44 70 22 8 144
48 Staff - My NFL Draft 49 68 20 7 144
49 Benjamin Solak - The Draft Network 43 67 26 7 143
50 Pat Fitzmaurice - The Football Girl 48 69 20 6 143
51 Andy Singleton - Expand The Boxscore 42 70 24 6 142
52 Mel Kiper Jr. - ESPN 41 66 28 7 142

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I really dislike quotes like this. Who is the source? Rick Snider will say he is familiar with the organization's thinking--doesn't mean his opinion matters more than a bag of dog**** to me...

To me, "a source familiar with the organization’s thinking" is basically saying "My source doesn't actually know anything or have any first-or-secondhand knowledge, but here's their educated speculation."

36 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

To me, "a source familiar with the organization’s thinking" is basically saying "My source doesn't actually know anything or have any first-or-secondhand knowledge, but here's their educated speculation."

The writer is definitely casting a wide net. It’s so vaguely worded that it could literally encompass anyone from Rivera himself to the wife of the greenskeeper at Redskins park. Given the propensity of reporters to exaggerate  the legitimacy of their sources I suspect it’s closer to the latter than the former.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Well, my thing is that it has to make sense, otherwise, drafting a dude like Tua at no. 2 overall to "Compete" with Haskins, should be enough to get you committed. It really isn't even a good smokescreen.

Any good lie has to have a shred of truth/believability.  That leaked explanation sinks it.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Well, my thing is that it has to make sense, otherwise, drafting a dude like Tua at no. 2 overall to "Compete" with Haskins, should be enough to get you committed. It really isn't even a good smokescreen.

Any good lie has to have a shred of truth/believability.  That leaked explanation sinks it.

Nobody in the league believes Washington is going to take Tua. 

I am in only one camp besides keeping Haskins as the starter. If the Redskins pick up Teddy Bridgewater (age 28) and let them compete for the starting position. Of course I believe Teddy wins. This is not a bad thing, because it gives Haskins that developmental time back (although many might say the only way to develop is to play). Teddy comes in the door understanding Turner's offense. Haskins can learn the new offense under Teddy. Over time, if D shows that he's NFL ready, he'll be the starter in waiting while the team wins football games under Teddy. I realize Teddy is going to want to get paid, so you pay the man his money. You wanna win right?

I am absolutely against bringing in a rookie in hopes that he'll be NFL ready. I really don't think any of the QBs in the draft are world beaters. Tua is getting ridiculous hype IMO. Nevertheless, the Redskins can not afford to be hamstrung by inadequate play at that position. Its not to say that I think Haskins will be bad. But if the coaches don't feel comfortable with him, they would be best served by getting the best option at the position now. On the other hand, Ron has said that this process is not going to happen overnight. He even said it may take a year or two. And for  sure he does not want to get into a QB carousel this team has been in for an entire generation. Picking up Teddy would be a bit a carousel. But I'd be 100% fine with getting on this one. Pick up Teddy in FA, draft a NFL ready player in Chase. No projects please. 

21 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

2019 NFL Mock Draft Accuracy

1. I really respect this because it gives a (maybe not the best but at least a) way to compare the different mocks, particularly over more than one spectrum like just player X going to team Y. 

2. I had to reconsider my sources. I've always liked Walterfootball because they have a nice site thats easy to navigate and has a wealth of information. I don't always consider it the most efficient, and some of their stuff on the lower round prospects may be nothing more than a sentence (if that) compared to multiple pages for the potential higher picks. I'm not really a mock guy but I do find it interesting that they did so well. 

3. My other site is NFL.com and they seem to have more information about more players, so I like them probably more than Walterfootball. Its interesting that they are all for the most part in that 159 total points range (except Dan Turner who had 155) but its an interesting way of looking at things. 

4. Like I said I'm not too big on mocks, but this gives me more information about how much I trust their scouting reports. WF and NFL are two I've been going to for a while because of how easy their sites are to navigate. But I will have to make sure I'm updating my sources. 

All good to see.  Haskins will prove all the doubters wrong.  If Rivera gives him a strong OL and players around him this O can be special, I think.  We have the talent on the D and when we draft Young and JDR is able to work with our D as a whole, this team is headed in the right direction.  :)

On 3/11/2020 at 3:50 PM, Califan007 said:

That word, educated, I do not think it means what you think it means. 

:P

Every member of ES is “a source familiar with the organization’s thinking.” 

11 hours ago, RWJ said:

All good to see.  Haskins will prove all the doubters wrong.  If Rivera gives him a strong OL and players around him this O can be special, I think.  We have the talent on the D and when we draft Young and JDR is able to work with our D as a whole, this team is headed in the right direction.  :)

Agree. Dude has a cannon. You know what I don't love there, though? The jump throw he did all last season that wound up not working a majority of the time and led to inaccuracy.

We'll see. I think Zampese is going to refine the things that need it and let the things that can slip stay as they are. I'm cautiously optimistic with Haskins at this point. Especially due to Zampese's involvement.  

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Agree. Dude has a cannon. You know what I don't love there, though? The jump throw he did all last season that wound up not working a majority of the time and led to inaccuracy.

We'll see. I think Zampese is going to refine the things that need it and let the things that can slip stay as they are. I'm cautiously optimistic with Haskins at this point. Especially due to Zampese's involvement.  

Running and throwing going left is awkward, especially when trying to deliver a football with power or down the field for any QB (Most don’t have the ability to do so down the field). Dump offs or throws that don’t require much power are different. 

What is the proper technique/form when sprinting left for a right handed QB? 

I guess for me, I’m okay with his shoulders being square and achieving some level of lower half balance when starting his throwing motion. 

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Running and throwing going left is awkward, especially when trying to deliver a football with power or down the field for any QB (Most don’t have the ability to do so down the field). Dump offs or throws that don’t require much power are different. 

Shoulders around, hips in throw. 

It's not stay square to LOS, jump in the air and fling :)

55 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I guess for me, I’m okay with his shoulders being square and achieving some level of lower half balance when starting his throwing motion. 

Problem is the throw is all arm. He can get away with it a little because his arm is so strong, but he wouldn't need to get away with it if he got his shoulders around. If his arm goes, or he has an injury to any part of his upper body, it's going to effect his ability to get the ball out there. The hips are what generates more power and allows for a better "aimed" throw. 

The hips are the power hose in athletic movements, as I'm sure you are aware. Throwing a baseball, hitting a baseball, tackling, etc. 

When going back to watching him last year, he actually had some throws where he was in the air when he threw the ball. 

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Exactly (that part in bold)....it's almost like a bad habit that he falls back into a little too easily.

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

The problem for me is, he does those jump throws in all scenarios..running left, running right, back-peddling, running forward...you name it. Right now it's the one aspect of his game that I fear he wont improve on anytime soon.

15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The problem for me is, he does those jump throws in all scenarios..running left, running right, back-peddling, running forward...you name it. Right now it's the one aspect of his game that I fear he wont improve on anytime soon.

Good point on it being present in other areas of his game. That is a worrisome trait that hopefully either works it out of his game or masters it to the level of it being effective. 

Not as concerned when he does it rolling left as much, due to feeling like all QBs naturally have an upward motion when throwing on the run to the left. The amount of time the QB has to set his feet also plays a role— it seems when in a rush the lower half plays less of a role and with more time the QBs engage the the lower half more effectively. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Good point on it being present in other areas of his game. That is a worrisome trait that hopefully either works it out of his game or masters it to the level of it being effective. 

Not as concerned when he does it rolling left as much, due to feeling like all QBs naturally have an upward motion when throwing on the run to the left. The amount of time the QB has to set his feet also plays a role— it seems when in a rush the lower half plays less of a role and with more time the QBs engage the the lower half more effectively. 

I think much of that had to do with the game speed being too fast for him and him not believing what his eyes were seeing. I think it'll improve with experience. Reps are the only cure for bad habits. Once he's seen it all/done it all he will know what he can and can't get away with in this league.. understanding and evolution in his game will follow.

If the tweet from the guy saying DH working on moving laterally to improve his pocket elusiveness, then he's already showing signs of understanding and evolving. I say give the dude a chance. You can't bail on a uber talented guy after one year. That is foolhardy.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Except, guys, he’s not per this video. 

He’s also really flat in his roll out. 

It’s a troubling sign. But in Zampese I trust.

I’m most encouraged by his ability to move in the pocket and roll out in either direction— One of the main reasons I like his ceiling potential. It’s An absolute must for the pocket QBs of today to have the ability to manipulate and create plays on the edges when available. The dude seems to naturally have this and really pride himself on doing so.

Disclaimer: I have not reached any conclusion on the dude. 

Archived