Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Remember when Trent Williams spent $150K on a Silverback chain?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/trent-williamss-silverback-chain/2011/07/21/gIQAHp1yRI_blog.html

Non-issue.

Oh my god and that was one of the most gaudy, ugliest goddamn things I've ever seen. I remember seeing that and thinking "Who the hell looks at that and not only says 'This will look excellent and subtle on me' but also 'This is definitely worth $130,000'"?

At least Dwayne has good taste. That Bently is pretty smooth looking. Just glad he didn't get it gold plated or something. I hate it when people ruin such nice cars by making sure they look as idiotic as possible. 

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Oh my god and that was one of the most gaudy, ugliest goddamn things I've ever seen. I remember seeing that and thinking "Who the hell looks at that and not only says 'This will look excellent and subtle on me' but also 'This is definitely worth $130,000'"?

I had the same thought--but hey--not my money! Point is, he spent his money how he saw fit--even if I thought it was ****ing hideous, still turned out to be a damned good, if not great, left tackle. Making a big deal about what Haskins is spending on is pointless. If I had that money--I'd hate (or love) to think about what I'd waste it on!

This is what he said:

Heard this from multiple people, and one scout put it simply, in answering my question: Washington actually could take Tua. Do I believe that the Redskins will draft Tagovailoa? I don’t know yet. What I do know is that the current Redskins staff is just getting to know Dwayne Haskins, and having the second pick puts that staff in a unique position to draft a blue-chip quarterback if they see fit. Or trade the pick for a haul. Or take Ohio State DE Chase Young. Either way, I think you’ll see a significant Redskins contingent at Tagovailoa’s Pro Day in April. I’ve been told they’ll do all the work as if they are taking a quarterback at two. Which doesn’t mean much yet, other than that they’re being diligent about it.

1 hour ago, JoggingGod said:

Taking Tua at 2 would be the worst move in franchise history.

That's a huge stretch. Tua has the goods to become a playmaking franchise QB. Health is a concern, but he has more natural talent IMO than anybody we've had under center in a long time. 

55 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

That's a huge stretch. Tua has the goods to become a playmaking franchise QB. Health is a concern, but he has more natural talent IMO than anybody we've had under center in a long time. 

Imo, Dwayne is actually more "talented" than Tua.

Of course, it all depends on how you define "talent".

4 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

See the bold part.  That's why drafting Tua at 2 would be a huge risk and the team ain't got time for risky high draft picks.  Great talent but let some other team have at him.

12 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Talent isn't the end all be all. RGIII had more physical talent than anyone could want. A hell of an arm. Could run faster than most wide receivers. Etc. He could hurt, got hurt again, and couldn't get his head right. I think Tua is probably a better prospect than RGIII from a standpoint of accuracy and understanding the game, but on a sheer talent level... RGIII probably had as much as any in the history of the game.

7 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Taking Tua at 2 would be the worst move in franchise history.

That's a huge comment and it would only take 1 high pick and we may still be able to get something for DH.

You also can't ignore hindsight about trading a ton to draft a QB with zero ability to learn a pro offense.

17 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Not Taking Tua at 2 would be the worst move in franchise history.

Fify 

12 hours ago, RWJ said:

Love Tua's make up as a QB.  He'd go #1 overall w/out question would be the best QB in the draft save for the injuries.  I don't expect him to last more than 5 years in the NFL.

Who needs him after 5 years 🤔

12 hours ago, arftech said:

See the bold part.  That's why drafting Tua at 2 would be a huge risk and the team ain't got time for risky high draft picks.  Great talent but let some other team have at him.

Watson was hurt frequently & Wentz is hurt frequenters... no one in the league would take Haskins & Young over either of those guys. 

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It’s two plays, but his willingness to challenge defenses is a key factor in why I like his ceiling potential (would love to see more examples of this). Kirk’s unwillingness to make these throws was a primary reason I was not confident about his ceiling. 

15 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

we Are looking for the last GM for our Mock Draft that starts March 20th. The team available is the New England Patriots! Please let us know if you wanna do it. Thank You!

My twin brother has the Bills, I’ll take NE. 

I agree with PFF's general point, the value of a QB offsets all, if they are riding with Haskins I am cool with it albeit I agree with the conclusion that they better be right on that front.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/11/redskins-rebuild/

“[Haskins] can be a solid starter,” said ESPN draft expert Todd McShay. “I just think … Tua’s going to wind up being a better quarterback, and it’s the most important position in this game, and it makes up for more sins than any other position. If you have an opportunity to upgrade that position, how do you not?”

The numbers support this strategy. Timo Riske, a data scientist for Pro Football Focus, built predictive models to simulate outcomes for each possible Redskins approach, and he found that drafting Tagovailoa has a higher probability of returning more value than drafting Young or any other prospect to pair with Haskins. The reason, Riske argues, is that teams often overvalue the impact of a non-quarterback. The Los Angeles Rams had perhaps the league’s best non-quarterback in defensive tackle Aaron Donald, but they did not accomplish much until new Coach Sean McVay unlocked quarterback Jared Goff.

The point underscores the issue at the heart of this Redskins offseason: Rivera must emerge with a franchise quarterback, either by determining it’s Haskins or selecting Tagovailoa — even if the latter means passing up Young.

17 hours ago, wit33 said:

It’s two plays, but his willingness to challenge defenses is a key factor in why I like his ceiling potential (would love to see more examples of this). Kirk’s unwillingness to make these throws was a primary reason I was not confident about his ceiling. 

He did that all throughout the year and even in pre-season. He would often make the more difficult throw and push things up the field and even make the harder choice in the red zone. He doesn't just want to win, he literally wants to shred a defense and punk them if he can. If he can make a strike in the end-zone by looking off a safety and firing the ball into a tight window he will take it over a check-down walk-in score. I remember a touchdown to steven sims where he did exactly that.

I vaguely remember a segment comparing the rookie qb's after pre-season and it had Haskins leading by far in the amount of difficult throw attempts or whatever the hell they called it. I wish I could track that down somehow.

For someone to have that instinct while knee deep in the beginner process of adapting to the NFL is a major plus trait. Especially if that instinct is corralled by good decision making and a feel for what can and can't be done within the framework of optimal mechanics.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

“I just think … Tua’s going to wind up being a better quarterback, and it’s the most important position in this game, and it makes up for more sins than any other position. If you have an opportunity to upgrade that position, how do you not?”

It's simple, Todd. You take Chase Young. The difference between Haskins and Tua Tags is not Chase Young.

Couple of issues with that article.

1. What data is Riske basing his conclusion on? 7 games? That's way too small a sample size.

2. Teams often over-value quarterbacks in the draft--I'd even say moreso.

3. The Aaron Donald point, the last part there, unlocking Jared Goff...who had played 7 games...under an extremely conservative, out-dated coach...

Archived