Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

this could go in a couple different threads

fwiw, steven a on espn re-asserts his earlier reporting that according to his sources dan snyder not only insistently drove the move to take haskins over more than a little resistance (not just from jay), but is just as insistent about tua not being in consideration at all for the 'skins

fortunately i guess, if you buy steven's reporting, rivera is fine with passing on tua

it seems to me kyle allen serves as a known-commodity buffer for rivera  in any way needed (starter/backup/tutor) between now and the future qb-wise as we go forward betting on haskins for the longer term but if haskins falters badly, there's a low-cost no-disaster substitute to go to at least temporarily

Christ, Snyder needs to just go away. I don’t take these as “rumors”. With this team where there is smoke there is fire. Snyder has proven to always meddle and has awful football judgement. If Tua is what Ron wants, then let him draft Tua and don’t give your 2 cents. Don’t even give your 1 cent. Just go away.

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF are wildly schizophrenic about Haskins.  On one count, they are leading the chorus that the Redskins would be fools not to take Tua and how on some metrics Haskins looks like a likely bust.  Then they also push the narrative that Haskins shows well on certain metrics and deserves a chance...

i think this usually happens with such a small sample size. Most of what I have read is what we saw--he has potential, but has questions. A lack of a full off-season doesn't help either.

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

steven a on espn re-asserts his earlier reporting that according to his sources dan snyder not only insistently drove the move to take hoskins over more than a little resistance (not just from jay), but is just as insistent about tua not being in consideration at all for the 'skins

fortunately i guess, if you buy steven's reporting, rivera is fine with passing on tua

I don't put it past Snyder to do this, but...it's Stephen A Smith. If there was ANY validity to it, you know Chris Russell would be screaming about it.

Generally I put very little stock until it comes from Keim, Finlay, Hoffman, Schefter, or the like.

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

this could go in a coiple differnt therads

fwiw, steven a on espn re-asserts his earlier reporting that according to his sources dan snyder not only insistently drove the move to take hoskins over more than a little resistance (not just from jay), but is just as insistent about tua not being in consideration at all for the 'skins

Yep.   If I recall it was Keim who said he heard Dan in the building during that college season would tell people that Haskins is the best player in college football.  And Haskins was the only meeting he sat in on during the combine.  Dan seems to have the reverse Midas touch when it comes to QBs starting with Jeff George through today.  Heck and I don't just mean who've they brought in but also some of his other man crushes supposedly on Brady Quinn, Mark Sanchez.   

But you figure as dumb as Dan seems to be when he tries to be a football guy -- you'd think he'd be due eventually?  Just on random luck alone he should eventually succeed considering how can a dude be so wrong over and over again?   So you'd figure maybe that actually works here in Haskins' favor. So personally I got no issue with Dan loving him as a player -- my issue is about him imposing it on his football guys. 

Multiple reporters-radio guys (Keim, Sheehan, Russell) have doubled down that Kyle Smith was just as opposed to drafting Haskins (coupled with some of the scouts there) as Jay was.  Kyle Smith supposedly graded Haskins as a 2nd rounder.  I noticed some want to bill Jay as the big bad wolf with Haskins but if you listen to many of these reports -- Jay was far from being on an island about it there.  And the more descriptive leaks about Haskins that weren't always flattering were actually not coming from Jay according to multiple reporters.  Though some contend it was Jay who leaked the initial report about Dan's involvement with the pick. 

Russell doubled down last night on a Cleveland radio station that Kyle Smith wasn't on board with the Haskins pick.  And as for the why when others have spoken about it:  It's not the narrative that it was all about they were in a win now mode last year.  But more specifically they didn't see him as a first round value. 

As for what they think of him now?  Seems like what the beat guys are hearing is they are jazzed about his talent, have pause about his intangible-work ethic, unsure if he's the QB of the future.  Rivera has the reputation of being a motivator-lift players up type.  Keim said they have a plan to "push" Haskins.  And I gather that plan involves positive reinforcement for Haskins to encourage good off season habits. 

Some say they feel bad for Haskins.  I do as well.  But I don't blame Jay for it.  This is all Dan IMO with help from Bruce that created the drama.  If you are going to shove a QB down the throats of both your front office and coach then you are creating a tense environment for all involved.  I think Jay, Kyle, and Haskins were all the victims of it.  Now, it is what it is.  And i gather the plan is to make it work.  And I hope they do.  I do buy that Haskins has his share of faults on the intangible equation but from my own small sample of seeing him on a personal basis in multiple settings -- he seems like a really nice guy.  

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Russell doubled down last night on a Cleveland radio station that Kyle Smith wasn't on board with the Haskins pick.  And as for the why when others have spoken about it:  It's not the narrative that it was all about they were in a win now mode last year.  But more specifically they didn't see him as a first round value. 

This is the opinion that gives me pause about Haskins--Kyle Smith not being on board (even if it is from Chris Russell...who has a history of over-reacting).  I couldn't possibly care less if Jay wanted him or not--he was fighting to save his job, he wanted someone that could play right away. And as for the narrative about winning now--the draft should never be about winning now. It's always about the future.

I am curious who said they didn't have a 1st round grade on him--I thought he was roundly thought of as a 1st rounder?

Brady loses Gronk and looks much different, everyone cried about how unfair it was that NE left him with so few weapons. A guy who is considered to be the best ever, in a system he’s run for 20 years, with a roster far better than ours, wasn’t very good & most people blame the supporting cast. The most expensive piece Haskins had on his offense was Alex Smith, & 2nd was Trent Williams... his offenses weapons were an old RB nobody wanted, a TE with a concussion, and 3 rookies ...none of whom anyone wanted all that badly. If you’re giving up on Haskins - based on last year - you may simply be suffering from a case of booty-envy. 

14 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I thought he was roundly thought of as a 1st rounder?

Not really. Mitch Trubisky is partially to blame. 

I think Skins should seriously consider taking Tua.  Remember when they passed on Big Ben in ‘04 because they had Ramsey. 

I like Haskins, but if you have both (or even Herbert) your chances of finally solving this long-term QB problem increase substantially.  This needs to be the number one goal for the Skins. Finally solve the QB issue.  Key to long term success in the NFL is QB.  

Just now, volsmet said:

Washington.

Maybe you’re talking about twitter. 

No. I am talking about any one person with a name (other than Chris Russell, he....he doesn't count.)

1 minute ago, Andre The Giant said:

Remember when they passed on Big Ben in ‘04 because they had Ramsey. 

They took Sean Taylor.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

No. I am talking about any one person with a name (other than Chris Russell, he....he doesn't count.)

Well, the only person we are certain had him in round 1 is Dan Snyder. I thought Drew Lock was going to be a round 1 guy to most ..but... 🤷🏻‍♂️

We know teams will move what they need to get a round 1 QB, Watson, Mitch, Mahomes etc etc etc are all guys teams moved up for. We know we didn’t want Haskins at 15 and we know nobody moved above us to get him. Reminds me of Vesely, everyone knew what the Wizards were going to do & nobody wanted to get in their way.

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Well, the only person we are certain had him in round 1 is Dan Snyder. I thought Drew Lock was going to be a round 1 guy to most ..but... 🤷🏻‍♂️

We know teams will move what they need to get a round 1 QB, Watson, Mitch, Mahomes etc etc etc are all guys teams moved up for. We know we didn’t want Haskins at 15 and we know nobody moved above us to get him. Reminds me of Vesely, everyone knew what the Wizards were going to do & nobody wanted to get in their way.

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive And Dodge GIF | Gfycat

None of what you responded with is what I asked.

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

They took Sean Taylor.

I know this won’t be popular, but Big Ben would’ve been a better pick.  

Steelers won multiple Super Bowls w/ Ben. No other position than QB makes that big of a difference to potentially winning a championship. 

Skins need to finally solve this problem somehow or it won’t matter who’s coaching. 

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Ah, well, my friend, please tell us who had him in round 1, you ought to be able to give us 20 teams.

4F745635-844D-457E-B5B0-56E6F5513A5E.gif

Just now, Andre The Giant said:

I know this won’t be popular, but Big Ben would’ve been a better pick.  

Steelers won multiple Super Bowls w/ Ben. No other position than QB makes that big of a difference to potentially winning a championship. 

Skins need to finally solve this problem somehow or it won’t matter who’s coaching. 

No thank you, Pitt can have the trophies & sexual assaults.

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Ah, well, my friend, please tell us who had him in round 1, you ought to be able to give us 20 teams.

4F745635-844D-457E-B5B0-56E6F5513A5E.gif

No thank you, Pitt can have the trophies & sexual assaults.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812164-report-dwayne-haskins-gets-1st-round-grade-from-2019-nfl-draft-advisory-panel

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-draft-grades-redskins-get-an-a-for-staying-put-and-landing-dwayne-haskins-anyway/

From Walterfootball:

image.png.afd0a8cb68b9745b2264838b98dd62e3.png

(as a contrast they ripped the Giants for taking Jones at 6)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001029943/article/2019-nfl-draft-class-rankings-cardinals-redskins-titans-thrive

"By the end of Round 1, the Redskins had nabbed a pair of top-tier talents without using a top-10 pick or mortgaging the future to an absurd degree."

There's a couple, your turn, Chief.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812164-report-dwayne-haskins-gets-1st-round-grade-from-2019-nfl-draft-advisory-panel

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-draft-grades-redskins-get-an-a-for-staying-put-and-landing-dwayne-haskins-anyway/

From Walterfootball:

as a contrast they ripped the Giants for taking Jones at 6)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001029943/article/2019-nfl-draft-class-rankings-cardinals-redskins-titans-thrive

"By the end of Round 1, the Redskins had nabbed a pair of top-tier talents without using a top-10 pick or mortgaging the future to an absurd degree."

There's a couple, your turn, Chief.

08F199F9-743D-4FEE-9495-6EEC4C2A1680.gif.f3348308bbe930827e5e52dfaff4f97b.gif

Your sources are Walter football, & a draft advisory panel? Impressive. Next time I’m talking with people who actually make personnel decisions in the nfl, coach in the league, and worked with Urban... I’ll ask them if they’ve seen Walter football.

I saved the links. 

Just now, volsmet said:

08F199F9-743D-4FEE-9495-6EEC4C2A1680.gif.f3348308bbe930827e5e52dfaff4f97b.gif

Your sources are Walter football, & a draft advisory panel? Impressive. Next time I’m talking with people who actually make personnel decisions in the nfl, coach in the league, and worked with Urban... I’ll ask them if they’ve seen Walter football.

I saved the links. 

That's what I thought--you have nothing to back up your statement he was not a 1st round value. Let me know when you have something legitimate to add.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's what I thought--you have nothing to back up your statement he was not a 1st round value. Let me know when you have something legitimate to add.

Uh. He legit has contacts. 

Well, I have reality, you, indeed, have nothing. You can join us for crabs & drinks this summer & have your first conversation with an actual source if you like, it’s a good time. Walter football - adorable. 

Just now, volsmet said:

Well, I have reality, you, indeed, have nothing. You can join us for crabs & drinks this summer & have your first conversation with an actual source if you like, it’s a good time. Walter football - adorable. 

Name one name. And I'll happily admit I am wrong. Because there are many scouts who obviously have him as a 1st round grade.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Who makes up the advisory committee? Is it pro personnel departments?

Legit nfl people are on the committee each year, they’ll tell a guy if he’s got a chance to go in round 1 or round 2. It is, by no means, a grade or consensus of nfl evaluations, it’s simply a cursory eval to help keep kids from making life altering mistakes. 

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Who makes up the advisory committee? Is it pro personnel departments?

The board is composed of general managers and personnel directors from a number of NFL teams, along with the directors of the NFL's two scouting combines, BLESTO and National.

Just now, volsmet said:

Legit nfl people are on the committee each year, they’ll tell a guy if he’s got a chance to go in round 1 or round 2. It is, by no means, a grade or consensus of nfl evaluations, it’s simply a cursory eval to help keep kids from making life altering mistakes. 

Yeah that’s what I thought. It’s more of a “yeah, you have high end pro potential in a general sense” but not necessarily “**** yeah, I’d draft that mother ****er.”

Archived