Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Really liked his post game interview. Keim even commented on his demeanor. My first thought when I saw Keim's remarks were 'yup'.

DH was excited but able to describe play and details. Hopefully this is how his mind works in the game... Calculated, smooth and effective. 

Baldinger's cut-ups were really good to because it shows how some of his incompletions were really good plays. 

I'm excited about the early returns. 

30 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Really liked his post game interview. Keim even commented on his demeanor. My first thought when I saw Keim's remarks were 'yup'.

DH was excited but able to describe play and details. Hopefully this is how his mind works in the game... Calculated, smooth and effective. 

Baldinger's cut-ups were really good to because it shows how some of his incompletions were really good plays. 

I'm excited about the early returns. 

It hurts me to imagine a football computer brain like Haskins with a coach like McVay in an alternate universe. Goff is a good enough talent, but not any sort of tape watching savant with a legendary work ethic or anything. He's good enough for McVay to direct like a puppet from the sidelines, but a marriage of McVay's brain with one like Haskins would imo be fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

He really hasn’t done much at all with the opportunities given. Totally uninspiring performances, the clock is ticking on him.

Perine has an uncanny ability to run straight into the awaiting arms of the opponent. I say move him to LB and we may have a pro-bowler. 

8 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Sweet. I would ask him if he would be a better player had he not played a snap his first 2 months.

Too bad his OL has been terrible throughout his tenure.

Luck was probably the most pro-ready QB to come out since Peyton so there wasn't any reason to sit him for <x weeks> to learn and adapt to the NFL game because he was pretty much ready from day 1; yes he still made some rookie mistakes but as a prospect he was light years ahead of where Haskins is (that's not a knock on DH...Luck was a really really rare prospect coming out). The main issue with Luck, as you noted, is that for years his team more or less refused to address their woeful OL while simultaneously insisting on running a deep drop passing game with long developing routes. It was the height of stupidity and it ended up with their franchise QB getting sacked and hit a ridiculous amount and eventually injured.

Then they suddenly decided to invest in OL (as well as hire a better HC with an offensive mind) and what do you know...the Colts offense took off and Luck was looking like an All-Pro again last season. 

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It hurts me to imagine a football computer brain like Haskins with a coach like McVay in an alternate universe. Goff is a good enough talent, but not any sort of tape watching savant with a legendary work ethic or anything. He's good enough for McVay to direct like a puppet from the sidelines, but a marriage of McVay's brain with one like Haskins would imo be fun to watch. 

I envision Haskins being more in mold of a QB in future that would like some creative control and have ability to go off script to make plays— in form of pressing the football down field, audibles, and such. This is me totally projecting (for fun) as we are just starting to get to know Haskins. McVay QBs will have a lower ceiling, due to structure of system. 

I think Jay is perfect for him. 

Jay does like his QBs to be aggressive and take risks.  All things equal Jay seems a good fit a rookie QB with a gun for an arm.

I am still amazed that Cousins wouldn't even throw contested balls IN PRACTICE.  What an odd ball, it points to him being selfish and un-coachable. Hopefully it turns out a blessing Bruce botched getting him signed. Eventually in Kirk's final year here did we see him finally start to give WRs a chance. Likely, because his payday at that point was all but cemented.   I hope I am not the only one that can recall Kirk's hail mary's were out of the back of the endzone more than once. Uncatchables.

8 hours ago, wit33 said:

I envision Haskins being more in mold of a QB in future that would like some creative control and have ability to go off script to make plays— in form of pressing the football down field, audibles, and such. This is me totally projecting (for fun) as we are just starting to get to know Haskins. McVay QBs will have a lower ceiling, due to structure of system. 

Well said!!!!!  If you want to keep a young franchise-level QB from ever leaving, give him the freedom to audible from time to time.  Haskins seems to possess the mind, work ethic, and arm talent to be a franchise QB.   Get this kid some O-linemen so he can remain upright and healthy and some receiving talent and the sky may be the limit for the next 10-15 years for this franchise.

10 hours ago, wit33 said:

I was awful young watching this but his arm and mobility does remind me of XtraLarge Sonny Jurgensen . Sonny would laser passes..coverage be dammed. Didn't run much..didn't need to. Wish they have some more tape

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

Luck was probably the most pro-ready QB to come out since Peyton so there wasn't any reason to sit him for <x weeks> to learn and adapt to the NFL game because he was pretty much ready from day 1; yes he still made some rookie mistakes but as a prospect he was light years ahead of where Haskins is (that's not a knock on DH...Luck was a really really rare prospect coming out). The main issue with Luck, as you noted, is that for years his team more or less refused to address their woeful OL while simultaneously insisting on running a deep drop passing game with long developing routes. It was the height of stupidity and it ended up with their franchise QB getting sacked and hit a ridiculous amount and eventually injured.

Then they suddenly decided to invest in OL (as well as hire a better HC with an offensive mind) and what do you know...the Colts offense took off and Luck was looking like an All-Pro again last season. 

Really great post. It would not hurt Haskins to sit given the composition of our line.   And Luck is injured again by the way.  Some sort of calf, ankle thing.  Sat out the whole camp and is not doing much at all except watching. The point being yes those brutal hits and sacks do take a toll on a QB's career with poor protection.   It can become one thing after another.  Luck is a special talent but he may be dealing with these nagging injuries for the rest of his career.  

The difference in the Colts of Lucks first few years in the NFL and us is we have a solid right side on the O line and our RB's are a strength.

The Colts didn't have a decent run game until last year.

I get the overall premise but unlike the Colts we can use our run game to take some of the pressure off DH, the Colts didn't have that luxury.

They also didn't have a CT.

Just now, PartyPosse said:

At this point just cut him. We don't need two vet QBs and we're not gonna put another QB on IR with Alex already there.

Sounds harsh but that's football.

Yep, it's not like anyone else is going to sign him and if he does heal up and we have an injury we can just put him right back on the squad.

We need to keep 7 WR's

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

"things just aren't right with his leg"

Well if they're talking about his left leg, then it's all starting to make sense now...

the injury...and the reason Trent is upset with the medical staff

"rim shot"

sorry, that stuff just happens on a slow news day

This McCoy injury is baffling.  So the guy's been practicing with "no set backs" but he's not 100% and can't play in a game until 3 weeks into the season?  Usually it's the opposite.  Guy sits out practice and is questionable, but will play.  Or guys sit out now who are banged up a little but they'd be fine to play in regular season.  

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

The difference in the Colts of Lucks first few years in the NFL and us is we have a solid right side on the O line and our RB's are a strength.

The Colts didn't have a decent run game until last year.

I get the overall premise but unlike the Colts we can use our run game to take some of the pressure off DH, the Colts didn't have that luxury.

They also didn't have a CT.

That's a fair point about the Colts not having much of a run game until recently, but I think you may possibly be overestimating our run game. Not our RBs, mind you (we have some potential young studs and an almost supernaturally ageless AP)...but our running game in general. Our OL has often been poor to mediocre at opening up holes in the run game, despite being pretty good at pass pro (when healthy).

I'm not sure what it is...the talent, the scheme, the coaching...but if I had a dollar for every time there was simply nowhere for our RBs to go (especially on short yardage situations) I'd be sipping drinks on a yacht somewhere instead of posting on here.

Though one other issue that is pretty glaring there and could be a major factor is our poor blocking TE situation. Our starting TEs couldn't block most 4th graders and when our backups our in it completely telegraphs that we're running. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think I know exactly how this will play out. Colt gets put on IR, Keenum starts the season. Partway through the season, we take a horrid loss and Colt gets activated off IR. He plays 2 games. gets injured in the second, and it will be a coin flip between putting Keenum back in or marching Haskins out. This year screams QB carousel.

1 hour ago, drowland said:

This McCoy injury is baffling.  So the guy's been practicing with "no set backs" but he's not 100% and can't play in a game until 3 weeks into the season?  Usually it's the opposite.  Guy sits out practice and is questionable, but will play.  Or guys sit out now who are banged up a little but they'd be fine to play in regular season.  

You actually appear highly qualified to speak on the subject.

If I'm understanding your user-name correctly, you're a Dr. ?

The Skins used 4 quarterbacks in 2018 including a couple of emergency acquisitions to finish out the year.  The 2019 OL may be awful and unable to effectively run or pass block,  like last season.  I thought the Skin OL was going to be an issue and should've been seriously addressed in the 2019 draft, now we learn we may have 0 games played by Trent Williams instead of 10 or so like in recent seasons.  I think holding on to McCoy despite his current health status makes sense. 

Jay's new book "Trying Not to use Haskins" is due out by week 1

I am going  to assume Colt is out for the first few weeks and if true Haskins will already be serving as the game day backup.  It is not going to take much before he is trotting out for his first snap.  

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You actually appear highly qualified to speak on the subject.

If I'm understanding your user-name correctly, you're a Dr. ?

Ha, no not a doctor.  Just curious why an I juried player is practicing but can't go in a game.  Makes me wonder if Jay's playing mind games with Philly.  He won't announce a starter so Philly prepares for Case or Haskins and then McCoy ends up starting week 1.  I don't think the Skins have to release an official injury report until Sept 4th.  Is Jay this crafty?

Archived