Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gruden fired per John Keim

UK_HOG

6 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Can't share the same sympathy sadly. 

The handsome financial rewards through his tenure here and the payoff at the end of it all negates any feelings I have for someone so completely incompetent losing their job. 

That's a start. But if Snyder doesn't completely restructure, it's only attending to part of the serious problem here. 

Hail. 

I have no issue with Gruden being fired and I was fine with them moving on after last season. However, you are acting like we're talking about Zorn or someone here. Until this season, the skins were usually competitive and in playoff contention until late into the season. Considering the obstacles anyone that coaches here faces, I'd say that it can (and probably will) be a lot worse until the owner changes his ways.

The best thing about getting Gruden out of here after 5 weeks, whether you just think he's a scapegoat or a large part of the problem himself, is that the entire remainder of this futile season Bruce Allen will be in the crosshairs. 

Nobody expects Callahan to have success and nobody on earth thinks he could show enough to keep the job beyond this season.

If they had elevated O'Connell, that would be the narrative obscuring the cancer that is Bruce Allen. "Is he the next McVay? Will he develop Haskins and be the next Kitchens?" etc.

Instead we get 11 straight weeks of HC speculation that will center around the narrative that people do not want to work with Bruce Allen. Period. All the national and local guys are already pounding that drum, and it will be the main storyline every single day until January. Gonna be much harder for Snyder to ignore that than if KOC was a potential in-house solution (he's not, btw). 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

The best thing about getting Gruden out of here after 5 weeks, whether you just think he's a scapegoat or a large part of the problem himself, is that the entire remainder of this futile season Bruce Allen will be in the crosshairs. 

Agree with this.  I don't hate Jay as coach as many here do.  But I do think there is an upside to get him out of the way -- it makes Bruce more naked as a target. 

4 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I would actually like Tomlin here

Steelers fans are entirely done with Tomlin and have been for years. He has squandered much more talented rosters than he'll ever have here, in a much more stable and professional environment. We need to stop with other teams' long term retreads. 

I don't want Mike Tomlin. I don't want a coach who did best under a stable organization that constantly had a talent-rich roster 90% of the time they were with that organization and as soon as some of the talent left, his coaching stock dropped immensely.

Anyone who gets hired here is going to have to want to take on a job that includes a lot of developing. Not just players, but schemes too.  I'd rather go young and O-coordinator and someone who comes from an established coaching tree.  

As far as D-coordinator, I sort of want the opposite. An established veteran.  No more promotions from within of unqualified candidates who could never get hired anywhere else. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

O'Connell is a bit of an unknown but i am much more intrigued by him than Tomlin or Bowles.  I don't know a lot about Bieniemy but liked what I've seen thus far.

imagine this part is added: "Until Allen is gone and a competent GM is hired!"

But it's a little wordy.

rock-it-doesnt-matter1.jpg

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Steelers fans are entirely done with Tomlin and have been for years. He has squandered much more talented rosters than he'll ever have here, in a much more stable and professional environment. We need to stop with other teams' long term retreads. 

fair point. i mean i wouldn't necessarily trust other teams' fans as a barometer for success, but I do agree with the lack of achievement with some of those rosters. that said, we're not going to get the best of the best because they A ) already have HC jobs or B ) won't want to work here. so i'm more thinking in comparison to other potential candidates 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree with this.  I don't hate Jay as coach as many here do.  But I do think there is an upside to get him out of the way -- it makes Bruce more naked as a target. 

Problem with that is, our schedule aligns nicely with sneaking a handful of wins out of this season and calling it a “success” (read: not a massive failure) since the Gruden firing. Unfortunately for us, the schedule aligned perfectly to scapegoat Gruden and keep Allen hanging around. 

Yay, Jay is gone. It needed to happen. Jay will relax this year and then live it up in Vegas,  under his brother. Jay should've been fired after the 2016 season.

While I am glad Jay is gone, I don't have the same feeling after past firings.

Why? Bruce Allen.

If he's still here in January, then I know Jay's replacement will be bad to at best mediocre. We Will  see another firing in 2 to 4 years. I am pretty sure if Bruce is still here; the next hire will be a Jim Zorn redux.

Dan will find out that the quality candidates will want Bruce gone, so our next coach will be a failure and the cycle of misery continues.

We need to ride the season with Haskins. We need to see if he's the future. If not, we will get a new qb next year.

Both the Colts and the Eagles were able to turn around their teams in a relatively short period of time.  Colts fired their General Manager and hired a former 

Redskins coach.  Eagles hired a new coach and their General Manager took one year off and went around the league and talked to other General Managers

and learned from them.   Allen is not going to try to learn how to become a better Team President and Williams is not a General Manager- just loyal to Allen.

The Tampa Bay connections over the years here have ruined this team.

14 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I would actually like Tomlin here

I don’t see Tomlin getting fired and if he does, he is too smart to come to Washington.

if Haskins shows any progress under KOC, he will get the HC gig or will be paired with Bowles. 

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Problem with that is, our schedule aligns nicely with sneaking a handful of wins out of this season and calling it a “success” (read: not a massive failure) since the Gruden firing. Unfortunately for us, the schedule aligned perfectly to scapegoat Gruden and keep Allen hanging around. 

I see two wins against the Dolphins and Jets potentially.  What would be the other wins?

2 minutes ago, PotomacGator said:

It does? Who? I mean I'm sure we'll win a couple or something but a handful?

Dolphins

Jets

Giants

Lions

All winnable games. And we might win one against the Cowboys or Eagles while they rest their starters at the end of the year. 

I’m jaded enough as a fan to think we’ll start winning games at the worst possible time for this team - making our draft position worse and allowing Allen to hang around. 

Archived