Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gruden fired per John Keim

UK_HOG

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He was a weak head coach and that is a major problem for a football team.  He's an offensive coordinator.  He shouldn't be head coaching.

I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater in terms of the organization as a whole.  Someone in the FO has done pretty good work in the draft since McCloughan got fired.  That person should keep their job.  Maybe they need help, but they shouldn't be fired.

I wouldn't mind seeing the team take a page from the Wizards playbook and do some consulting on this coming reorganization.  Try and build a better collaborative FO structure.  There needs to be someone who is an expert on medicine and biomechanics in the room with our pro and college personnel evaluation guys. 

There are also several other weak coaches on the staff.  This was not an 0-5 roster and the defense should be playing much better than they have been.  They need a lot of changes.

Our QB coaching has also completely fallen apart.  None of our three QBs should be playing this poorly.  Gruden and his staff mishandled them, and they've been doing it since Kirk walked.

Ironically, despite my sarcasm on the Gruden firing, I don't disagree with any of this. I'm not sure how well the Skins have drafted. I think the jury is out. But I'm not someone who looks at the draft and says, "horrible!", either.

There is too much talent on the front to be as porous as the D has been.

There are a lot of weak links on the coaching staff. But to reiterate my primary point, I'm not sure I'll ever have confidence in SUSTAINED success until the infection is cured.

3 minutes ago, hawgboy said:

If this IS J Allen and this is a sign of Veteran Leadership in this era.... THEN HOT DAMN, IT'S ABOUT TIME.

I love it and I want to see more of whoever said it asserting themselves going forward.

Him, Collins, or AP seem like he most likely culprits for that comment imo.

Without a players-only meeting it doesn't really say much about leadership here in the lockerroom. 

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Is this a signal you've been kidnapped?!

It's me, man! Totally safe. I'm in my bunker.

I'm not in a basement being told that I have to act normal. 

Callahan is great, too. Have I said that? Savior!

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

By the way, does what that player said in the tweet count as smearing a fired coach on their way out?

Cant be smearing a coach if the person is not actually employed as a coach.  Now, God forbid if it had been said of Manusky...

11 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I agree with that. Gibbs/Grilliams pretty much are the only Skins coaches I've seen get their guys to play above and beyond their individual talent level. Everyone else, for different reasons, has been decidedly Swiss Miss on how they run this team

It helped that those Gibbs teams were primarily made up of veterans in a time period just before the birth of the  IPhone and modern technology advancements.  

I mean even those Gibbs teams had issues with guys like Clinton, Cooley and Sean Taylor bearing to their own drum.  All young guys.

9 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Jay was given nobody to develop other than Cousins who did better here with scrub support than he has in Minnesota.

Why else would he hang on for dear life to a scrub like Colt?

Oh Haskins? Yeah, thrown to him on the way out the door,  this is going to be interesting. Stay tuned. 

Jay was given four different QBs and he mishandled three of them.  Cousins saved Jay's job for a while as an Andy Dalton-like jobber, but the truth is all of his other quarterbacks struggled under Jay and it's an indictment of his handling of the position.  He botched RGIII from the get go, Alex Smith looked like **** before he got hurt, and he didn't even bother with Haskins.  I don't think he was capable of developing another QB.  I am certain he wasn't willing to.  I don't give a **** what he said, he ****ing mailed it in this season and he absolutely refused to buy in on Haskins.  He'd probably still have his job if he had, in spite of all of his failures.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I mean even those Gibbs teams had issues with guys like Clinton, Cooley and Sean Taylor bearing to their own drum.  All young guys.

I don't think that's the worst thing to have. A little personality helps a team. Eases stress, makes things lighter... but all three of those guys were ****ing gamers, man. They didn't mess around when it came time to be serious. 

I mean some of the stuff they did (And Moss) was not a good look, but the personalities were great. And none of them stepped too far out of line. If I were Gibbs they would have stressed me the **** out, though :ols:

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

That was beautiful. 

The best we may have to hope for, is Bruce gets "reassigned," and strictly handles upper echelon football ops like the stadium deal stuff, and contract oversight, and the actual roster construction and day to day football ops and "face of the org" stuff goes to some hot new booty.

It may not work for those that want blood, but for someone like me, who just wants to not suck anymore, I can do this kind of scenario

7 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Cant be smearing a coach if the person is not actually employed as a coach.  Now, God forbid if it had been said of Manusky...

****, did I misread that one, too? lol...lemme go back.

EDIT: unless you meant it wasn't said until after Gruden was fired, so it's not smearing. The leaked story about Scot and his drinking didn't come out until after Scot was fired and it was labeled as smearing, so I figured this would be, too.

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

That was beautiful. 

The best we may have to hope for, is Bruce gets "reassigned," and strictly handles upper echelon football ops like the stadium deal stuff, and contract oversight, and the actual roster construction and day to day football ops and "face of the org" stuff goes to some hot new booty.

It may not work for those that want blood, but for someone like me, who just wants to not suck anymore, I can do this kind of scenario

I agree with the idea that as long as Bruce is in the building, he will be in charge of everything.

I'm telling anyone who'll listen: Don't get used to Kyle Smith. He'll be the next body out the door to build a winner elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Jay was given four different QBs and he mishandled three of them.  Cousins saved Jay's job for a while as an Andy Dalton-like jobber, but the truth is all of his other quarterbacks struggled under Jay and it's an indictment of his handling of the position.  He botched RGIII from the get go, Alex Smith looked like **** before he got hurt, and he didn't even bother with Haskins.  I don't think he was capable of developing another QB.  I am certain he wasn't willing to.  I don't give a **** what he said, he ****ing mailed it in this season and he absolutely refused to buy in on Haskins.  He'd probably still have his job if he had, in spite of all of his failures.

I absolutely love that you stand on your hill for Haskins.

That's not sarcasm. I love it. I do the same with Alex Smith despite the numbers. I respect the hell out of it, actually.

You look at Haskins like I look at bacon. Much respect.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is good to see, trending nationally.  Sadly, though both Finlay and Russini said from what they heard Bruce isn't going anywhere. 

The one thing I heard Finlay say that gave me some hope was that he thinks they are in the "redzone" when it comes to finalizing the stadium.

Maybe wrapping up that transaction sets things in action for Bruce being reassigned or fired. 

Archived