Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

2 hours ago, kleese said:

Yes, he can. Not only can he pay the bills w/o our money, he can still turn a profit. Revenue sharing is the lifeblood of an NFL team. Remember that every time someone watches Eagles-Cowboys or buys an Aaron Rodgers jersey, it is benefiting Snyder too. 

That explains why our grand children will not have the game of Football to enjoy like we did. It’s the same as the everyone gets a award mentality for just showing up. Not only are the players that are coming up real soft these days now your telling me that owners that are soft too get paid no matter what their product looks like!

wheres the accountability that we grew up experiencing?

At some point you start to wonder... Media trashing you, teams/coaches trashing you, rival fans trashing you, your own fans trashing you.... Is it all still worth all that bs, just for a stadium deal.

I mean, who does dude think he's gonna con into that? His own fans want him to slit his throat, nevermind the transient nature of the DC metro area, and basically other fans of other teams being forced to foot the bill for him, too.

You'd think he'd realize "Hey maybe I should spend these next 7-8 years building up some good will with the community and running things the right way, and hopefully people will come around later."

Seems like he's just determine to carve us down to the marrow for this, and there will be no one left when he's done. Because I'm done. Not wasting my time watching another minute of this crap this season.

4 hours ago, Allgoodthingscometoaend said:

That explains why our grand children will not have the game of Football to enjoy like we did. It’s the same as the everyone gets a award mentality for just showing up. Not only are the players that are coming up real soft these days now your telling me that owners that are soft too get paid no matter what their product looks like!

wheres the accountability that we grew up experiencing?

This system was established in the NFL 50+ years ago. It hasn’t changed. It’s always been this way and is a major reason the Green Bay Packers have been able to compete on an equal playing field with the New York Giants. The NFL is set up (and always has been) for individual teams to succeed despite themselves. 

The clearest sign of the erosion of the fan base we've seen so far can be seen in the banner image at the top of this web page. I mean, that guy ... that apparently drunken buffoon with the backwards baseball cap and the hobo hair ... is the best image the team can come up with to promote "Fantennial Weekend." That's the best we've got now at the stadium. That guy. 

Judging from his facial expression, this is the sound I imagine him making at the moment the photo was taken:

17 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

The clearest sign of the erosion of the fan base we've seen so far can be seen in the banner image at the top of this web page. I mean, that guy ... that apparently drunken buffoon with the backwards baseball cap and the hobo hair ... is the best image the team can come up with to promote "Fantennial Weekend." That's the best we've got now at the stadium. That guy. 

Judging from his facial expression, this is the sound I imagine him making at the moment the photo was taken:

🤣

That guy.  I've hated looking at him for the past week too, glad I'm not alone.  As not to get personal here, I'll just say that I've named that guy after one of our posters here.

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I had no clue what you all were talking with the "fantennial weekend" stuff since I have that banner blocked with uBlock.

So I had to open an incognito window to check it out, and you guys are right lol.

I mean, who looks at that and says, "YES! That's our fantennial image right there!" And then someone else higher up has to look at it and say, "YES! Oh, brilliant, go with it!"? 

Probably the same people who give Theismann credit for the '87 Super Bowl, Williams credit for '82 and spell London's last name "FLECTHER". 

Sounds like Dan Snyder is going the Spanos route in San Diego except this team used to be one of the top 3-5 teams in the NFL with the most sold out games in the league.

Spanos tried for years and years to get the taxpayers to pay for a stadium in San Diego and they were actually a pretty good team for a while but never won anything and didn't get a stadium. Now they are renting soccer stadiums and other NFL teams stadiums.

His teams culture was probably "damned good" all those years as well. He even hired Marty, Norv, and his GM was Kyle Smiths father who also worked here for a while. Maybe Dan Snyder and Spanos are Bros.

Don't let him get a free stadium or his family will leach off the region for generations.

We'll they've already been doing that but imagine 2-3 more.

I spent my Sunday afternoon watching an old Mel Brooks movie "History of the World". I got to the part where "Count DE Monet, count the money" aka Dan Snyder looks down to the poor piss boy and tells him to wait for the shake. At that moment in time I said to myself that is exactly what it feels like to be a Redskin fan.

3 hours ago, kleese said:

The NFL is set up (and always has been) for individual teams to succeed despite themselves. 

Exactly.  The NFL is set up to create parity.  To make it possible for a many struggling teams one year to be a contender a year or two later.  What it has done for the redskins is make it possible to go from 3-13 type seasons to 8-8.  Thats the ceiling for the Redskins.  

This year they will be somewhere around 2-4 wins.  but in two years they will be back at 8-8.  

What separates the teams that have higher floors/ceilings is ownership and management. Some teams remain on top and others remain in the gutter despite the design of the system to create parity.  Poor ownership and management limits how much this parity system can help.

I've actually reached the point where I'm enjoying the Redskins more lately than I have in years, but with one big condition.

I treat the Redskins and the NFL as two completely separate entities.  I play fantasy football and watch redzone on Sundays when I'm in the mood to see the sport played well.  I watch the Redskins with the mindset of a soap opera or reality tv with unlikeable, but compelling characters.

I don't expect them to win, I don't bet on them, and I'm not invested in them at all.  I'm a passive observer.  The boneheaded moves and tone-deaf actions of the front office are extremely entertaining if you view them as a free weekly TV show.  My friends and I still gather around the watercooler on Mondays to discuss the latest developments with the team, but at this point the product they put on the field in no way represents a professional sports team.  It is still entertaining drama though. 

I absolutely am still entertained by their "watch what we do this week" mindset, even if its unintentionally self-destructive.  I love being able to tell my friends all the ridiculous things this franchise has done over the years.  The crazy streaks they've broken, the way were constantly doing things no other team would ever consider, stories of Dan suing fans and selling expired concessions, creatively finding new ways to hit rock bottom, etc.  It makes for great conversation.  Kyle Shanahan giving the game ball to his Dad as a big FU to Snyder?  You can't make that stuff up.  And I wouldn't miss them having to play "suddenly awesome" Cousins this Thursday for anything.  The compelling story lines write themselves.

Do yourself a favor and take a step back.  It's entirely possible to have your cake and eat it too.  It was sad 10 years ago, now its just another option for entertainment.

7 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

At some point you start to wonder... Media trashing you, teams/coaches trashing you, rival fans trashing you, your own fans trashing you.... Is it all still worth all that bs, just for a stadium deal.

It's just business as usual for Snyder; been this way since he bought the team.

In the past, if i was out of town the weekend of a game or at school and the game isn’t aired there, i would have made it a priority to follow the play by play. This weekend i was in New Orleans, and the game wasn’t being shown there, and i didnt even care. The score crawl came up a bit throughout the packers raiders game we were watching at a bar, but other than that, nope. Zero care for me. 

That’s how you KNOW it’s bad 😂😂😂

I know myself well enough to know this: if I ever stopped caring, I’d never be able to start again— no matter what. It wouldn’t be the same to me. So I stay fully dialed in knowing that in the off chance they get it right before I die that it will at least feel great. 

15 hours ago, Allgoodthingscometoaend said:

This is so simple if we would just all join together and drop this team until there’s a complete sell of the team and change of everyone. Dan can’t pay the bills without our money!

No but for real - this. Join me.

I'm only still on this forum because I like a lot of the people I've interacted with here and it's one of the few places I can talk D.C. sports as a whole. This stopped being a fandom thing a long time ago. I haven't watched or materially supported this team for a couple seasons and it's been great.

This is such a hard habit to break but once you do, you'll wonder why you liked this team to begin with. It's so much better on the other side, y'all.

From the 2000 season:

"Dan Patrick: Were you concerned about being viewed as being greedy charging admission to the preseason?
Dan Snyder: Not at all. Not for the amount of money we've invested and the quality of what we've given the fans. I think fans have been 100% satisfied."

:rofl89:

Should tickets be free to games now? Should he pay us to attend?

https://www.espn.com/talent/danpatrick/s/snyder1.html

8 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

From the 2000 season:

"Dan Patrick: Were you concerned about being viewed as being greedy charging admission to the preseason?
Dan Snyder: Not at all. Not for the amount of money we've invested and the quality of what we've given the fans. I think fans have been 100% satisfied."

What Snyder really deserves is the Hitler treatment from the movie "Little Nicky", but the Redskins fans get to pick the size of the pineapple every day for all eternity.

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

From the 2000 season:

You just can't convince me that a guy who at any point in his adult life believed in what he was saying there can possibly change enough that it could ever yield positive results.

Archived