samy316

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

Recommended Posts

I keep thinking about Sheehan's "rock bottom" remarks"

 

I mean, sure, we all felt like '09-ish was basically the event horizon, but we still viewed ourselves as superior to teams like Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo,  etc. Now, with another lost decade, does anyone really feel like we're better than them anymore?

 

I dont think it can get any worse because we've run out of places to hide. We are a drama filled dumpster fire off the field (that never really changed), with a team president that's like a villain out of a Star Wars movie, and we are a hilariously godawful screen pass away from being on the fast track to 0-16.

 

We're so bad at this point it almost defies comprehension.  How much worse can this possibly get? I feel like some people are tricking themselves into denial of how bad things already are

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, studzmckenzie said:

Hence, 59,000 Eagles jerseys at FedEx Field for last year's Eagles game, and probably much the same for this year's game.  


I was there because I was given free tickets by my brother through his company.  Let me tell you...I have never felt so low as a Redskins fan in my life.  The videos I captured would not do it justice.  The place was totally overrun.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Painkiller said:


I was there because I was given free tickets by my brother through his company.  Let me tell you...I have never felt so low as a Redskins fan in my life.  The videos I captured would not do it justice.  The place was totally overrun.  

 

I was there, too, and feel the same.  I went to the season opener this year if anything else so that eagles game wasnt my last experience in that stadium.  I jus didnt want it to end like that for me personally. 

 

For the first time in my life, I realized I was experiencing something my dad didnt as a fan, and I'd never bring him into something like that.  I'd never bring my kids into something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 3:09 PM, Boss_Hogg said:

Tickets going for $5 in the upper decks

 

$20 in the lower bowl

 

Clubs for $25

 

 

 

 

Right here lies a big problem if you're wanting to empty the place. With these prices, the people who have never been will go simply because of the cheap ticket. People that want to see the team live. Then you have visiting team fans living in the area can't turn down the chance to see their team. The Lions don't have a national fanbase, but there are probably a lot of native Michiganites living around DC that will probably jump on this deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how it's a problem. Doofus Dan is losing millions per game just on the tickets.

 

30k or more won't even be sold. If the average ticket normally would sell for 100 dollars that's 3M. I'm sure that it's much more than that though. Imagine what they'd sell for if we were winning.

 

Then consider that 100 dollar seats are selling for 10 or less and the expensive seats are selling for like 20. That's gotta be a 10M loss per home game not even considering the concessions.

 

The only people who paid full price are the psychos who didn't cancel their season tickets despite being fully aware of the 20 years of being **** on by the owner of the finest dumpster fire in team history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ananoman said:

hmm-  a cup of coffee.  That is what a ticket to the skins game is now worth

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 5.26.43 PM.png

Gotta wonder who the homer on the 30 yd line holding out for $445 is. Art, is that you? Larry Michaels maybe?😑

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 3:44 PM, SkinsFTW said:

 

Snyder did the same thing as Carolina's new owner. Norv deserved it but not because Dan had the answers.

 

Egotistical owners are fine with total ineptitude when all of the ingredients are their own, however. The past decade prove this of our own head buffoon.

 

People pretend that Doofus Dan got patient. In reality he just thinks that the moronic crap he does will eventually work. Just a little more time. We're so ****ing close!

 

Fans are almost as hilarious as the clown show we pretend to be excited to see on Sundays.

What was worse was firing Schottenheimer after 1 season for going 8-8, just to hire Spurrier.  He had a .613 winning % for regular season games in his NFL career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

 

I was there, too, and feel the same.  I went to the season opener this year if anything else so that eagles game wasnt my last experience in that stadium.  I jus didnt want it to end like that for me personally. 

 

For the first time in my life, I realized I was experiencing something my dad didnt as a fan, and I'd never bring him into something like that.  I'd never bring my kids into something like that.

That is dependent on age. My dad passed away 2 years ago and started seeing the fan base start to dwindle.  I started going to the Redskins games in 1962 when I was 9 and back when the Steelers were in the East division.  It was called DC Stadium before RFK and we kept season tickets to 2002. I remember numerous games in the 60's, where my dad and I were picking tickets up off the ground walking to the entrance just for souvenirs.  Sonny led the NFL in passing yards and Bobby Mitchell led the NFL in receiving yards and Jim Taylor from GB got the rushing title and MVP as GB won the championship.  We led in 2 of the 3 categories on offense and finished 5-7-2.  You couldn't give tickets away and the scalpers would just throw them on the ground, blowing in the wind.

Edited by rabidskin
not complete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all these comments and your great "culture" you created Bruce Allen!  Kudos to you too Dan!   What a pathetic joke!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Mocking and shaming fellow Redskins fans?

It's bad enough from non-Skins fans, why pile on? 

Its simple, like in rugby...."rugby players eat their dead"   Snyder has turned our fan base into "The Redskin Walking Dead".  Our fans have been tortured so much now that we have become the walking dead.  Dan could care less, just look how he smiles standing with his buddy Bruce.  It's so disgusting....as someone suggested, Dan and Bruce need to get on his Super-Yacht and take the 3-hour Gilligan tour.  Good riddance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rabidskin said:

That is dependent on age. My dad passed away 2 years ago and started seeing the fan base start to dwindle.  I started going to the Redskins games in 1962 when I was 9 and back when the Steelers were in the East division.  It was called DC Stadium before RFK and we kept season tickets to 2002. I remember numerous games in the 60's, where my dad and I were picking tickets up off the ground walking to the entrance just for souvenirs.  Sonny led the NFL in passing yards and Bobby Mitchell led the NFL in receiving yards and Jim Taylor from GB got the rushing title and MVP as GB won the championship.  We led in 2 of the 3 categories on offense and finished 5-7-2.  You couldn't give tickets away and the scalpers would just throw them on the ground, blowing in the wind.

 

 

I can respect this take, my dad was born in 1959.  To confirm, did you see DC Stadium taken over by Packer fans.  The 2019 Eagles Takeover game was what I was referring too, wouldnt be shocked if it happened again this year.  Same situation where they gonna be fighting for a playoff spot and we're right down the street.  This could end up changing the way we look at that fan base if they start taking over our stadium every year, it was a home game for them, but they didnt treat it like the Linc. Yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ananoman said:

hmm-  a cup of coffee.  That is what a ticket to the skins game is now worth

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 5.26.43 PM.png

 

Contrast that to the Pats hosting the Boys on Sun.  Cheapest tickets now show as $310.... a bit higher!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rabidskin said:

What was worse was firing Schottenheimer after 1 season for going 8-8, just to hire Spurrier.  He had a .613 winning % for regular season games in his NFL career. 

 

Yep & finished the season by winning 8 of 11. What was even dumber was that they didn't want Marty to have front office duties so that he could relinquish them to that genius Cerrato.  LOL

Edited by dicksogj
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rabidskin said:

What was worse was firing Schottenheimer after 1 season for going 8-8, just to hire Spurrier.  He had a .613 winning % for regular season games in his NFL career. 

It's sorta funny - apparently, JKC was going to fire Joe Gibbs after his 0-5 start and rehire George Allen but his son, John (at least according to John) said it would be a disastrous idea and The Squire relented. And Gibbs was still a somewhat unknown commodity at the time but he remained patient and it may have been the most important decision he made as owner of the team.

 

Schottenheimer, for better or worse, was a known commodity by 2001 and got kicked to the curb after an 8-8 season and Snyder opened the proverbial "mystery box." That may be the turning point for his regime. It's pretty much been all downhill since then. You sort of have to wonder what would have been if Snyder were patient and stuck with Martyball for another season or two.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's only going to get worse, especially with the Ravens being a well run football team. I think a relocation is getting more and more likely

 

Image

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much glee as the result gave me, we should keep in mind that only includes residents of the District. I'd love to see a poll that includes residents of the adjacent/nearly adjacent counties (MoCo, PG, Arlington, Fairfax, City of Alexandria, and Loudon Counties). Still though - this would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago and I don't think "recency bias" is the only reason for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Painkiller said:


I was there because I was given free tickets by my brother through his company.  Let me tell you...I have never felt so low as a Redskins fan in my life.  The videos I captured would not do it justice.  The place was totally overrun.  

The Giants game was worse. It felt as though the ENTIRE Stadium was BLUE.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

It's sorta funny - apparently, JKC was going to fire Joe Gibbs after his 0-5 start and rehire George Allen but his son, John (at least according to John) said it would be a disastrous idea and The Squire relented. And Gibbs was still a somewhat unknown commodity at the time but he remained patient and it may have been the most important decision he made as owner of the team.

 

Schottenheimer, for better or worse, was a known commodity by 2001 and got kicked to the curb after an 8-8 season and Snyder opened the proverbial "mystery box." That may be the turning point for his regime. It's pretty much been all downhill since then. You sort of have to wonder what would have been if Snyder were patient and stuck with Martyball for another season or two.


Snyder at the time said ownership was not “fun” when he was not involved in player acquisition. Marty would not let him interfere and Dan hated it. That’s why he fired him and brought back yes-man Vinny.

 

Marty also caused Dan to believe he is a personnel genius. Dan lobbied hard to draft Santana Moss, Marty and John Schneider drafted Rod Gardener instead. I think that decision has fueled the narrative that he tells himself that he’s smarter than the football people and he points to that as the only example he needs. 
 

What’s mind blowing is the talent we have had come through here in the front office and coaching. You have some seriously legit people excelling in the NFL after they left here. If you let that level of talent not do their jobs and walk away, that’s where hope dissipates. Because even bringing in the right people is not enough...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

Right here lies a big problem if you're wanting to empty the place. With these prices, the people who have never been will go simply because of the cheap ticket. People that want to see the team live. Then you have visiting team fans living in the area can't turn down the chance to see their team. The Lions don't have a national fanbase, but there are probably a lot of native Michiganites living around DC that will probably jump on this deal.

 

It was one of the good things LaFemina was doing...authentically showing the apathy by keeping the tickets off the secondary market. That way, you can put eyes on where you actually stand with fan interest based on face value tickets. This current approach only inflates attendance and allows the Redskins to state things like "even at 1-9 we had nearly 65,000 people show up!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

It was one of the good things LaFemina was doing...authentically showing the apathy by keeping the tickets off the secondary market. That way, you can put eyes on where you actually stand with fan interest based on face value tickets. This current approach only inflates attendance and allows the Redskins to state things like "even at 1-9 we had nearly 65,000 people show up!"

 

While I agree that the numbers are fudged there's still a decline in the fudges. Check out https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/attendance.htm. I posted the numbers in an earlier post and the 56000 number is still the smallest number THEY'VE REPORTED in about at least a year. And I don't think I ever saw us having multiple 57000 or less in a stadium (per that site). So even by their metrics (and I'm not sure how LaFemina's numbers were different from the PFR numbers) they're in decline. They know. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

It was one of the good things LaFemina was doing...authentically showing the apathy by keeping the tickets off the secondary market. That way, you can put eyes on where you actually stand with fan interest based on face value tickets. This current approach only inflates attendance and allows the Redskins to state things like "even at 1-9 we had nearly 65,000 people show up!"

 

IIRC, one of the thing LaFemina said coming into his gig was that Danny Boy was gonna' have to see how bad things really were before they could get better. I mean... he put it a little more tacitly than I am, but you get what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

 

While I agree that the numbers are fudged there's still a decline in the fudges. Check out https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/attendance.htm. I posted the numbers in an earlier post and the 56000 number is still the smallest number THEY'VE REPORTED in about at least a year. And I don't think I ever saw us having multiple 57000 or less in a stadium (per that site). So even by their metrics (and I'm not sure how LaFemina's numbers were different from the PFR numbers) they're in decline. They know. 

 

 

I'm sure they know...but it eliminates them having something to spin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.