Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

• ixcuincle changed the title to 2019 - 20 Washington Capitals Thread (Reirden Out)

The Penguins had no tolerance for mediocrity or disappointments. They fired Mike Johnston and immediately promoted Mike Sullivan to coach. Sullivan proceeded to lead them to back to back Stanley Cups.

Nice to see the Capitals hold the same standard and won't allow mediocrity and first round flame outs.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The Penguins had no tolerance for mediocrity or disappointments. They fired Mike Johnston and immediately promoted Mike Sullivan to coach. Sullivan proceeded to lead them to back to back Stanley Cups.

Nice to see the Capitals hold the same standard and won't allow mediocrity and first round flame outs.

I agree but they should be firing Sullivan, they’ve been more of a disappointment the last 2 years than us. 

7 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Can we get over Trotz, please?  The writing was on the wall for him.  I seem to recall after beating the Blue Jackets in the first round that he told Tortarella that he was finished in Washington.  Time to look forward, not backwards.

I'm with you man.  It's getting tiresome hearing about coulda shoulda woulda.  We all know it was a dumb move then and know now too.  Stop worrying about the past and worry about what we need to do now.

• Like 1

Glad reports are already pointing to an experienced coach. We are at the end of our window and need to win now, not groom a coach. Also need someone who will gel quick with our talent and personalities. Gallant seems like the best choice for that, just gotta figure out why vegas fired him

12 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Glad reports are already pointing to an experienced coach. We are at the end of our window and need to win now, not groom a coach. Also need someone who will gel quick with our talent and personalities. Gallant seems like the best choice for that, just gotta figure out why vegas fired him

Vegas was struggling a bit mid season and I think they saw an available coach in DeBoer who McPhee felt could better get them over the proverbial hump. We'll see if he was right.

Edited by hail2skins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Can we get over Trotz, please?  The writing was on the wall for him.  I seem to recall after beating the Blue Jackets in the first round that he told Tortarella that he was finished in Washington.  Time to look forward, not backwards.

Hell, he was almost fired mid season in 2018 and was lucky that Gruby bailed him out when Holts was struggling.

added: 

I dunno, has Gallant really had success? Still seems kinda inexperienced conpared to Laviolette or Bab****. I like Babs cause he has a distinct system with an identity.

Edited by Springfield

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I think that had more to do with management signaling they weren't going to bring him back. It will likely sting for some until the Caps have a better playoff showing. 

I'm definitely not on board with Bab**** unless he's done some soul searching about how he treats younger players. This team needs some youth. Gotta have a coach that won't poison the locker room. 

I do wonder if they will consult with Ovechkin at all. He is still a FA after next season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

So you want to bring Bruce Boudreau back?

Bruce is a great guy and what he did with the team when he took over in 2008 was amazing and kicked off the Rock the Red era. But taking a team that has a history of grossly underachieving in the playoffs and putting it in the hands of.... a guy who has a history of grossly underachieving in the playoffs? GMBM would really be sticking his neck out on that one.  I agree with you that he's better suited for a younger team with low expectations. 

• Like 1