Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

46 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Ilya Kovulchuk has been a ghost. Like a hole on the ice. Nonexistent. Worthless.

Yeah, that's been disappointing.  The first few games with him, he was going out there playing physical, but I sometimes forget he's even a thing during these playoffs.

• Sad 1

Just now, mammajamma said:

Another 1st round disappointment after being the best team in the league for half the season..

It's unbelievable that we've only made it to the conference finals once in over a decade of being a top tier team

I live in ATL. Think Braves. 🙄

32 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Can we please not be stingy with the next coach. Enough of these no name coaches with no prior NHL success. 

Caps fans were saying the same thing about Barry Trotz when he was hired. And Trotz was here for four seasons before he won the Cup, and was getting bounced in the playoffs before the breakthrough in 2018.  Todd has had two good regular seasons.

That said, the team should've found a way to keep Trotz after the Cup win. I don't know whether it was more of a GM call or an owner call, but I do think Ted Leonsis is overrated in this town. Probably a nice guy, but is only looked upon so favorably because of being compared with a tool like Dan. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I mean, the coach was the difference. The Isle have no talent. The system won the series.

I mostly agree with this. Caps have no structure or game plan other than dump and chase and hope Ovechkin scores. 

I do think the additions to the team were bad, the D has sucked almost all year and GMBM is responsible for some of this. Also, he hand picked Reirden.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Caps fans were saying the same thing about Barry Trotz when he was hired. And Trotz was here for four seasons before he won the Cup, and was getting bounced in the playoffs before the breakthrough in 2018.  Todd has had two good regular seasons.

That said, the team should've found a way to keep Trotz after the Cup win. I don't know whether it was more of a GM call or an owner call, but I do think Ted Leonsis is overrated in this town. Probably a nice guy, but is only looked upon so favorably because of being compared with a tool like Dan. 

I remember everyone wanting Trotz. 

I could coach this team and have a good regular season. I think this was a GM and it was known that the Caps thought of Reirden was gonna be a great HC and didn’t want to lose him. 

D has definitely been a problem.  I have a hard time blaming GMBM too much for that, though.  He found two seeming diamonds-in-the-rough in Kempny and Jensen and signed them to pretty cheap for their production mid-long term contracts.  But then Kempney suffered an injury and hasn't been quite the same player, and Jensen regressed after the initial positive look.

On the flip side, McClellen was lambasted for his long-term expensive signings of Orpik and Niskanen (well mostly Orpik, but I wasn't big on the Niskanen signing either), and they were key to us winning the Stanley Cup.  So chalk it up to win some, lose some when you make aggressive moves.  The alternative is to take a more conservative approach like George McPhee, and fans got fed up with that strategy, too.

Edited by PokerPacker