Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

get a new coach, replace the entire defense, get rid of old guys like Kovalchuk that never contributed anything, figure out why vrana had the biggest collapse of all time, find some young talent on the bottom 2 lines that can keep up so Hags isn't the only one chasing pucks, hope Hotlby's replacement doesnt **** the bed. forget anything?

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I remember everyone wanting Trotz. 

I could coach this team and have a good regular season. I think this was a GM and it was known that the Caps thought of Reirden was gonna be a great HC and didn’t want to lose him. 

Hersh, you're a big fan so I'll trust your memory. I just remember a lot of comments about getting another coach without a great deal of playoff success (don't think Trotz had much in Nashville), although admittedly there aren't many SCF-winning or even SCF-going coaches generally available.

But it just seemed like Trotz being let go so soon after winning the title really tarnished the whole thing. 

8 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Caps fans were saying the same thing about Barry Trotz when he was hired. And Trotz was here for four seasons before he won the Cup, and was getting bounced in the playoffs before the breakthrough in 2018.  Todd has had two good regular seasons.

That said, the team should've found a way to keep Trotz after the Cup win. I don't know whether it was more of a GM call or an owner call, but I do think Ted Leonsis is overrated in this town. Probably a nice guy, but is only looked upon so favorably because of being compared with a tool like Dan. 

Trotz was a household name before he got here. He BUILT Nashville. He got them to the playoffs like 500 seasons in a row but just couldn’t won’t the cup.

He was really the only established coach that Ovechkin has ever had. Not Boudreau, not Hunter and definitely not Oates. And who the **** is Todd Reirden?

Give these guys a goddamn leader.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Trotz was getting bounced in 7 by champion-caliber teams.

Rierden is getting trounced by ham and eggers.

exactly. at least trotz's exits were in exciting/close series, and he was usually able to make it to the 2nd round at least

Just now, mammajamma said:

get a new coach, replace the entire defense, get rid of old guys like Kovalchuk that never contributed anything, figure out why vrana had the biggest collapse of all time, find some young talent on the bottom 2 lines that can keep up so Hags isn't the only one chasing pucks, hope Hotlby's replacement doesnt **** the bed. forget anything?

Don't need to replace the entire D, but we do need to fill in the bottom ranks with better talent.  Having guys like Fehervary and Alexeyev make the jump to the NHL could be what we need there.

For physical forewards, I'm interested in how soon Brett Leason can make the NHL jump.  He's got a pretty big body with some talent to play a power-forward type role; not just a grinder.  If you can pair him up with a playmaker like McMichael, it could make for an intriguing 3rd line with some thump and some scoring ability.  In another year or two, we'll see if Alexei Protas can come in and provide even more big-bodied talent.  With his size, he could be a real intriguing option for a third-line center if/when a spot opens up for McMichael to climb into the a top-6 role.

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Trotz was a household name before he got here. He BUILT Nashville. He got them to the playoffs like 500 seasons in a row but just couldn’t won’t the cup.

He was really the only established coach that Ovechkin has ever had. Not Boudreau, not Hunter and definitely not Oates. And who the **** is Todd Reirden?

Give these guys a goddamn leader.

What about Hanlon?

3 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

D has definitely been a problem.  I have a hard time blaming GMBM too much for that, though.  He found two seeming diamonds-in-the-rough in Kempny and Jensen and signed them to pretty cheap for their production mid-long term contracts.  But then Kempney suffered an injury and hasn't been quite the same player, and Jensen regressed after the initial positive look.

On the flip side, McClellen was lambasted for his long-term expensive signings of Orpik and Niskanen (well mostly Orpik, but I wasn't big on the Niskanen signing either), and they were key to us winning the Stanley Cup.  So chalk it up to win some, lose some when you make aggressive moves.  The alternative is to take a more conservative approach like George McPhee, and fans got fed up with that strategy, too.

I have less of an issue with Kempny than Jensen cause Kempny was here for the Cup. I don’t understand why he trades for players and immediately signs them to extensions. 

I have a problem with a lot of other moves. I think there has been an organizational failure to produce some young talent over the last few years. 

Per the Orpik signing, he was good the first season and for one playoff run in 2018. While I have a lot of respect for his toughness and work ethic, it wasn’t a great contract. 

15 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Hersh, you're a big fan so I'll trust your memory. I just remember a lot of comments about getting another coach without a great deal of playoff success (don't think Trotz had much in Nashville), although admittedly there aren't many SCF-winning or even SCF-going coaches generally available.

But it just seemed like Trotz being let go so soon after winning the title really tarnished the whole thing. 

you’re right, there was some of that and some thought of getting a coach that won a SC.

Like always, I appreciate all you Caps fans. Lots of knowledge in this thread. 

Talking about roster moves, as much talent as the Caps still have, it’s amazing how much homegrown talent they had now playing for other teams. 

5 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Don't need to replace the entire D, but we do need to fill in the bottom ranks with better talent.

Maybe so, however the bottom ranks of the D outplayed the top ranks for the entire round. orlov was caught sleeping in front of the net for several goals against, and Carlson had to have had the worst +/- of any defenseman in the playoffs...Gudas/Dillon were the only somewhat bright spots tonight. hopefully that'll change with better coaching, but if they keep Todd, i wouldnt be mad if they dumped everyone on D

I have less of an issue with Kempny than Jensen cause Kempny was here for the Cup. I don’t understand why he trades for players and immediately signs them to extensions. 

I have a problem with a lot of other moves. I think there has been an organizational failure to produce some young talent over the last few years.

I will give you that Jensen's re-signing was awfully quick.  I suspect the reason for that was that he was sure he hit on a great underrated player, and if Jensen had the chance to prove it, his price would go up.  Lock him in to $2.5 mil for 4 years now so you don't have to pay him $3.5-4.5 per year later.  Heck, if it doesn't work out, you can always trade the contract away to somebody with plenty of cap space

Per the Orpik signing, he was good the first season and for one playoff run in 2018. While I have a lot of respect for his toughness and work ethic, it wasn’t a great contract.

Rumblings were that if we didn't sign him to that money and that term, someone else would have gotten him.  And he won us the cup.  That's as good a contract as you can get.

Just now, mammajamma said:

Maybe so, however the bottom ranks of the D outplayed the top ranks for the entire round. orlov was caught sleeping in front of the net for several goals against, and Carlson had to have had the worst +/- of any defenseman in the playoffs...Gudas/Dillon were the only somewhat bright spots tonight. hopefully that'll change with better coaching, but if they keep Todd, i wouldnt be mad if they dumped everyone on D

Who will replace them if we clean house?  A good defenseman is impossible to find on the open market.  You pretty much have to raise them from eggs.

Man. That sucked seeing rob Carlin holding back tears reading a comment or note from a fan of his. And sucks that this might’ve been holtbys final game. 

Funny story about holtby: a family friend, his son is a HUGE caps fan, and he plays hockey, he’s 7. He and his parents have a cat they named Holtby. The cat has a history of using every bag as the bathroom. So, one morning the son is trying to get his gear ready for practice, his dad out of town so it’s the moms turn to take him to practice. The hockey duffel bag smells like cat urine as usual, but the moms just like “we’re gonna be late, just go, it’ll be fine”.

the mom Is in the stands watching practice, starts talking to some guy sitting near her, the whole “who’s your son? Oh ok cool, mine is #___, the one that smells like cat pee. Holtby keeps spraying my sons hockey bag!! nice to meet you im (insert name here)”. Then about 30 minutes later, the parents are waiting by the door for their kids after practice. The guy goes “well it was nice talking to you, oh and by the way, I’m Braden Holtby”. The mom was so embarrassed, she had spent 10 minutes complaining to Braden holtby about the jerk Holtby peeing all over everything!!!😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Don’t know if anyone is watch hockey still but Calgary jumps on Dallas 3-0 in the first 6 minutes of the game. 

20 game minutes later, it’s 6-3 Dallas. Insane swing. 

Damn, I turned it off because I thought the flames had it in the bag. Disappointing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Ilya Kovulchuk has been a ghost. Like a hole on the ice. Nonexistent. Worthless. 

Agreed. He's been the worst bring-in-a-fading-star-for-one-last-chance-at-the-Cup experiment since Mike Richards. I really thought playing with Ovi and other fellow Russians would elevate his game to a Fedorov-like level. Not even close. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Agreed. He's been the worst bring-in-a-fading-star-for-one-last-chance-at-the-Cup experiment since Mike Richards. I really thought playing with Ovi and other fellow Russians would elevate his game to a Fedorov-like level. Not even close. 

Man, Fedorov brings back memories.  I remember sitting in the back of Calculus hitting F5 on my browser following the trade deadline, and when I saw that deal, I just about shat myself.  And he was everything I hoped he would be.

Backstrom admits in post-game press conference that the Isles were hungrier and wanted it more.  A lot of people made this observation about the Canes when they bounced us last year (which is why I brought it up earlier today). I know none of us wanna hear this, but when that happens to a veteran team that just won the Cup 2 years ago, it goes beyond the bottom-pairing d-men and the 3rd and 4th lines and even the coach.  It's an issue with the core of the team.  

• Like 1