Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I heard the New York Islanders haven't been to the Eastern Conference Finals since 1993?

If memory serves correctly, I believe that was the series where Dale Hunter "finished his check" on Pierre Turgeon after he scored the game winning goalĀ 

45 minutes ago, c slag said:

I heard the New York Islanders haven't been to the Eastern Conference Finals since 1993?

If memory serves correctly, I believe that was the series where Dale Hunter "finished his check" on Pierre Turgeon after he scored the game winning goalĀ 

i was too young then to remember that, so i just looked that up. holy ****... that fight afterwards was insane

1 hour ago, c slag said:

Ā 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

It was such a cowardly, chicken **** cheap shot by Hunter.Ā 

Worst moment in Caps history. Ā And thatā€™s saying something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2020 at 7:03 PM, Hersh said:

It was such a cowardly, chicken **** cheap shot by Hunter.Ā 

Ā 

Yes it was, but he paid a hefty price for it with the suspension and the scarlet letter he wore the rest of his career.Ā  Ironically it worked out okay for the Isles as they managed to beat a stacked Pens team in the next round, which nobody expected them to do, and prevented the Pens from a 3-peat and they never won the Cup again during the Mario era.

Ā 

Not making excuses for the hit at all, but I can understand the frustration over losing that series.Ā  1993 was a rough year - they were coming off a season before where they looked great and a lot of guys had career yearsĀ and then they blew a 3-1 series lead to the Penguins, they had given awayĀ Dino Ciccarelli in the offseason forĀ a bag of pucks in another Abe Pollin salary dump, and Rod Langway retired in the 1993 season.Ā  For me personally, and other Caps fans I knew, yet another first round exit to an Isles team we should've beaten really drove home the point that what was left of the core from those late-80s/early-90s teams (Hunter, Miller, Hatcher, Pivonka, Ridley) was never going to do jacksh**t in the playoffs.Ā  I've always believed that Dale was thinking something similar when he skated behind Turgeon after he scored the insurance goal which put the nail in the coffin of yet another lost Caps season.

9 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Butch Cassidy won Coach of the Year.Ā  If you would've predicted this to any Caps fan 17 years ago you would've been cut off at the bar and laughed out the door.Ā  Guy was absolutely incompetent behind the bench when he was here, and apparently in the locker room too.

Good for him.

Yeah I kinda feel like coaching can be a bit of a crapshoot in hockey sometimes.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:01 AM, Hersh said:

Caps need a coach with a strong defensive system who will also show some passion/fire as a coach. By fire, I don't mean a hard ass but more positive energy when the game calls for it.Ā 

Like Trotz skating with the team during warmups. That was ****in awesome.Ā 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Vegas is a good team but I thought before the virus hit that the teams in the other West division like the Blues, Stars, and Avs were better.

Ā 

I hope TB wins it all. They had that monster season last year and it was shocking they got swept in the first round.

Ā 

Not dissimilar from UVA winning the NCAA title after an historic defeat.Ā 

Ya, feel weird about a team from either florida or texas winning the cup, but I guess I'd go with tb. They've been dominant for a while with nothing to show for it, so I feel like we can emphasize with them a little bit more. Plus Dallas's indoor watch parties are cringe to me right now

The Stars looked deadly 4 years ago, but didn't quite make it to the big game then.Ā  I was hoping to see a finals between them and the Caps (who also looked like they were making a run) back then.Ā  Of course, I was living in Texas at the time, and figured if the cup was out for a game in Dallas, I'd make the 4-hour drive to see it, and if it was available in Washington, I'd fly home to see it.

Ā 

I should've flown to LV to see them win in 2018.Ā  Was cheaper to fly out there and watch a game than it was to get tickets to the phone booth.Ā  One of my brother's friends was in LV when the Caps won and was at the one of the clubs they partied that night after winning.

• ixcuincle changed the title to 2019 - 20 Washington Capitals Thread (Laviolette hired as 19th Capitals Coach)

Dallas is going to be a speed bump for Tampa.

Ā 

About the Laviolette move: not bad. An upgrade over Rierden, for sure. The guy has a track record of winning

(one Cup with Carolina, Finals Appearances with both Philly and Nashville). He's ideal for an old team with a short window.

Maybe he can fire them up for one more run. Bab**** would have been too pricey a hire, and he's more a of a fit for

a young teamĀ with a big upside (Edmonton, New York Rangers).Ā