Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State of the Economy Thread - “Falling inflation, rising growth give U.S. the world’s best recovery”

PleaseBlitz

4 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

devalue our currency, and make it harder for the less financially fortunate in the long wrong. 

I'm going to put on my semi-MMT hat here:

Over the last 20+ years or so, there's really no evidence based on traditional methods of measuring the value of our currency that printing more and more money has hurt the value of our currency.  During that time, the debt has done nothing, but go up and the deficit as gone up, down, up, down, and back up again.

Despite that, based on historical measures our currency has remained at essentially the same strength by 3 normal measures:

1.  The exchange rate for the dollar vs. other global currencies has been pretty steady and even strong.

2.  Inflation has been low.  For a good part of that the Fed has even tried unsuccessfully to increase inflation (at least based on public statements).

3.  People are still willing to buy our debt at ridiculously low interest rates to be paid in future dollars (which makes no sense if you are expecting devaluation of the currency).

In general

If X has been happening and Y hasn't and you are worried about doing more X because X causes Y, you might want to re-think your position.

(As far as the financially less fortunate, as long as inflation isn't going crazy them having jobs because the government is spending is surely better than the alternative (i.e. the government not spending and them losing jobs).  And that's ignoring the benefit of having a job in terms of mental health.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

And only the max amount for people making under 75k? Lame try by the GOP.

both DNC and GOP are idiots... this needs to be UBI.  No means testing!

21 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

1200 bucks and 500 per child? That won’t last two weeks. What a mess.

it is not supposed to be total replacement of income lost but an aid...  whatever you get is more than what you had before...  however the aid package need to be UBI and means tested... i mean what happens if you had $75k/year and just got let go???  Do we really want to go through mountain of paperwork in an emergency???  And this paperwork processing is going to be wasting money and time...

• Like 2

It seems somewhat likely (though by no means guaranteed) that my wife will be able to start working from home for her TV/film advertising job and she managed to survive a rash of layoffs. She's increasingly confident that she will have a job through this and has at least a week of sick time and vacation time to draw from for emergencies. 

Between that and the possibility of pulling in $2900 jointly with our daughter, I'm feeling less terrified about our financial prospects. Thank God, seriously. If we get through this unscathed financially, it will be an actual miracle. Still quite a tightrope to walk and I'm having a brutal time finding any online teaching work in lieu of substitute teaching. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

And only the max amount for people making under 75k? Lame try by the GOP.

I could see the argument that giving $1,000 to a guy who was only taking home $1,000/mo, last week, and giving the same amount to somebody who was making $6,000/mo, and has bills to match, might be unfair.  But I think I've got a proposal that might satisfy both.  

Send out $1,000/mo to everybody, and implement Larry's plan to suspend mortgage payments.  

I assume that hypothetical guy who was making $6K/mo can last a lot longer, if he's not making a mortgage payment.  And all that plan costs the government is the interest on all those loans.  

40 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

both DNC and GOP are idiots... this needs to be UBI.  No means testing!

it is not supposed to be total replacement of income lost but an aid...  whatever you get is more than what you had before...  however the aid package need to be UBI and means tested... i mean what happens if you had $75k/year and just got let go???  Do we really want to go through mountain of paperwork in an emergency???  And this paperwork processing is going to be wasting money and time...

Why, it's almost as if the Grand Oligarch's Party doesn't really want most people to qualify for help and are only trying to look like they're helping those of us who aren't "job creators." Naaah, that can't be it.

• Like 1

I agree about just cutting the checks.  I think it is far more important to get them out fast, than it is to make sure that wealthy people do not get them.  You can figure out later how to get money back from people who didn't need it.  That would be a lot easier than predicting who doesn't need it based on their income in prior years.

• Like 1

Details on Senate GOP’s massive stimulus plan to prop up consumers, companies, local govt amid coronavirus:
—tax rebates to individuals of $1,200 and $2,400 for married 
—$208B in loans for businesses
—cap on salaries for execs at companies that get money.

Just wondering, is that a refundable tax credit?  Does the minimum wage guy who doesn't have any income tax get any?  

• Like 1