Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I expect that with players and other players but not coaches. Especially vets. That means there’s a clear reputation around the league that the organization is seen as a bit of a joke 

I don't really even follow other teams much, but I know just from watching sideline antics that a lot of other teams have players rebel against coaches.

**** Dallas.

The spirit of Miles Paul lives on, but why is there no fight video of the big haymaker thrown by Catalina?  Time to send SIP back down for proper reporting. 

SIP is right a simple tweet can heavily shape the expectations or narrative about a player. I just read that Doctson went up to get a ball and that no other WR can do that. I now love Josh Doctson again, even though we will likely never see that type of catch but once or twice this season. Its tough to expect that when he is lucky to get 5 targets a game.

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

Obviously you can't make any concrete predictions based on a couple plays or even a couple days of camp, but those two INTs that Haskins threw and were posted earlier showed the same thing to me...he's a couple of seconds behind on his reads and his play in general...which is an eternity in NFL terms. Both of those picks were gimmes. That isn't in any way surprising, given that not only is he a rookie but he's a rookie with very limited college starting experience as well. He shows some big time skill but I really don't think he's ready to start. I wouldn't be surprised if he sits this season. 

DH needs to see zones non stop, he struggled fairly significantly v them in college, it’s a more complicated read, but it’s also where he showed the most growth. Nebraska, Washington, Purdue games showed him confused one snap but his ability to put the bad plays behind him displayed uncommon maturity for a guy with such limited experience. Psu kept him pretty limited, but then Michigan had no success with their zone d v DH ... it was interesting watching him process the different looks from one week to the next, it’s going to be a ridiculous jump to seeing nfl speed & windows when his feet & rhythm are issues ... long way to go, but the potential, work ethic & attitude are all special.

I think many, not you, underestimate where he struggled & how that translates early. 

This LG situation is more troubling than LT to me.  Penn at minimum is competent.  You kinda know what you're gonna get.  But if the top 2 guys at LG are Martin and Flowers, and Martin's the frontrunner by default, that's not gonna fly.  That does not seem like an improvement over last year.  

Now, it's possible both guys could make a lot of progress between now and Week 1, but man, not what I had in mind going into the offseason.

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

This LG situation is more troubling than LT to me.  Penn at minimum is competent.  You kinda know what you're gonna get.  But if the top 2 guys at LG are Martin and Flowers, and Martin's the frontrunner by default, that's not gonna fly.  That does not seem like an improvement over last year.  

Now, it's possible both guys could make a lot of progress between now and Week 1, but man, not what I had in mind going into the offseason.

Let’s say Trent comes back. What are the chances of trying Penn at LG next to him. Not sure if he’s ever played G, but he at least has more experience as an NFL Olineman than any of our other options....

12 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Which is probably why we just signed Thornton. 

3 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Hogs Haven is reporting that Montez Sweat left field with a limp. Not sure if it's anything serious.  I'm holding my breath.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/7/31/20748650/redskins-injury-update-montez-sweat-leaves-practice-field-with-a-limp

They are saying cramps. And .... breathe.

Penn knows the system and terminology... how did we let him leave after his first visit.

Stuff like that is huge. Our expectations on vets and rookies alike should be more tied to playbook and terminology familiarity than it is. We take that stuff for ryan granted as fans, but I think ability to step in and know the inner workings of the offense is the difference between 7-9 and 9-7. 

Like throwing a fat playbook at a rookie QB, that is foreign to him (cough RG3) is a recipe for disaster. It's better to burn the playbook.

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Like throwing a fat playbook at a rookie QB, that is foreign to him (cough RG3) is a recipe for disaster. It better to burn the playbook.

Not sure I understand the rg3 (cough) reference in this particular context.

Rg3 had an outstanding rookie year.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Not sure I understand the rg3 (cough) reference in this particular context.

Rg3 had an outstanding rookie year.

I think he had an outstanding year too, but only because Kyle stole Nevada's pistol read option, and basically shelved his playbook.

Had Kyle not done that, RG3 would have very likely failed.

8 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think he had an outstanding year too, but only because Kyle stole Nevada's pistol read option, and basically shelved his playbook.

Had Kyle not done that, RG3 would have very likely failed, much like he did when Jay came to town.  RG3 ran a very simple college offense that didn't even have route trees. Typical NFL offensive systems were foreign to RG3 as a rookie.

Lets not back down this rat hole guys. 

Back to this years training camp ...

43 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Had Kyle not done that, RG3 would have very likely failed, much like he did when Jay came to town.  RG3 ran a very simple college offense that didn't even have route trees. Typical NFL offensive systems were foreign to RG3 as a rookie.

Yeah I agree with that but you used the example of rg3 in the first sentence as what not to do instead of the second sentence as what you should do.

That's why it was confusing. 

I think its very telling Penn talked to Trent, And wanted a starting LT gig. That may explain Penn leaving town after his visit.  Penn seems like a boss and went through proper NFL LT protocol and reached out to Trent, to presumably make sure as to not interfere with anything, take his job, whatever. I like it.

This tells me Trent is done in DC.  If true lets make Penn an offensive captain. I like that he is willing to get out of his car and squash punk loud mouth raider fans.

31 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

"Guice drags Jonathan Allen into end zone" ?

We have to have footage of that.

That's like dragging komodo dragon into the end zone.

Guice is a serious beast.

A little irony, too. This is after Allen complained he couldn't touch the QB with all the terrible OL play, and replied "Well, block me then"

I was thinking the exact same thing. It takes a Grown Ass Man to drag Jonathan Allen anywhere.

Archived