Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

2 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Trade him. A ot needy team will pay heavily for him. 

Well suffer without him but he tends to miss a few games a year anyways and we haven't been winning a whole lot anyways. 

Would you trade him to the Giants? Just asking. They are an OL needy team and there's a good chance their draft picks are fairly high in each round. 

I also think this late in the offseason teams aren't as willing to do deals, but then again I do remember how a training camp injury made the Vikings open up the coin purse for.... Sam Bradford....

7 minutes ago, Unbias said:

This is a very crude, but well timed move by Trent and his agent. We are coming off a season where 2 of the starting QBs got destroyed and are trying to get ready to have a rookie QB develop. The problem is that we don't have too much cap space to be playing with. 

Maybe this move is more designed to force a trade? If he wanted a new deal shouldn't he have brought this up before free agency and the draft so the team has more time to plan? From Trent's side he's 30, the team will be going into a season with a rookie QB (so he probably has lowered expectations), he has missed time in each of the past 5 seasons and if he waits until his contract is up he'll be past his prime and may no longer be employable in the NFL. Even if he wants one chance to win a title in the next couple seasons just based on our roster/contracts it might be best to be elsewhere. 

Good post.  I tend to think the opposite though, if Trent badly wanted to be traded, why wait for other teams to already sign and/or draft their tackles this off-season?  That lowers the chance other teams will be willing to part with a high draft pick for him, which in turn lowers the chance that we would trade him.  I think he is just capitalizing on the fact that he knows we need to protect our new rookie QB investment and we have zero starting LTs behind him.  As you said, a well-timed move.

13 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He is better placed to get a new deal now at 30 on a team with no depth at his position than he will be at 32 when we might have drafted/developed his replacement.

Agree.  He's also about one month away from being 31. Hoffman was just on 106.7.  He said they don't see Flowers as a tackle and it's all about turning Flowers into a guard.  And he said they'd be terrified to play Christian at LT.    I didn't think of it at the time but losing Ty in FA really jacked up Trent's leverage.  That combined with drafting Haskins.

Hoffman opined that they'd be worried about extending Trent because of the injury history and conversely the injury concerns is likely part of what's fueling Trent's desire for an extension.   In other words, Hoffman speculated that Trent's camp wants some security to account for the possibility that he gets hurt. Hoffman though said he hasn't talked to Trent or his camp, yet about this. 

8 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Would you trade him to the Giants? Just asking. They are an OL needy team and there's a good chance their draft picks are fairly high in each round. 

Giants already paying Solder 15 million and change to play LT so no way they can afford another at that price. 

Adrian Peterson, Williams' good friend and fellow Oklahoma alum, was aware Williams might not be at minicamp Tuesday. 

"I had a pretty good idea that he wouldn't be here," Peterson said. "It is what it is. I've been in the league 13 years, it's a business at the end of the day."

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-jay-gruden-adrian-peterson-react-starting-minicamp-without-trent-williams

I kinda am less vexed by this than it seems most are.  I suspect the chances he sits out the year or even most of it are slim.  He's not gonna Le'veon Bell this thing, I wouldnt think.  Either way, I'm comfortable with this being his last year as a Redskin.  Next year's top priority will be getting a LT.  And that was coming sooner or later.  Get out of the Trent business too early rather than too late.  If he makes it to 33-34 upright and at this level, I'll be shocked.  He's not getting any healthier either.  We might be on a new LT regardless.

Not like we're on the cusp of anything where we need him to put us over the top next year.   

28 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

He's not worth it. Sorry

Problem is we don't have much depth and he knows that. He's just going to get hurt again anyway.

Which begs the question of how we went into the season with Christian as the leading candidate for backup LT.  Nsekhe walks, ok fine, it's business.  But then they just say "oh well, we'll just have to make do." 

With his weekly gimpiness and 2-5 weeks being out, this was destined for disaster whether he pulled this stunt or not.

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

For the folks saying ‘screw him and trade his ass to Buffalo’ - how do feel about rolling Haskins out to play QB with Flowers or Christian at LT? Or Keenum or McCoy for that matter.

Not good I assume.

Keenum or McCoy I dont give a crap about. 

But history suggest those guys would be playing for Trent regardless for at least a few weeks and various instances during games.

2 hours ago, PlayAction said:

The Skins already have a deal they want and Williams wanted.  Prior to the draft we had already considered trading Williams or moving him to LG.  Many fans were hoping to draft a Tackle to be next in line when Williams would be out for several games (as usual).  Not his fault but only a fool would plan on him playing 16 games

Your first line - agreed.  That's something i waver on personally if I should care or not.

But when you said "we" about him moving to LG, do you mean fans? I haven't heard one Redskins person say this was in the plans.

Yeah from a pure business standpoint, it makes sense. He has more leverage now that he'll have any time in the near future. He's on the downside of his career trajectory and he's on a team with little depth at his position and a new rookie QB. I don't think he's an elite LT anymore but he's still excellent, and even excellent LTs aren't easy to come by.

From a football standpoint in general I agree with @Unbias...it's crude. He's already making lots of money on a contract he agreed to, and on top of it he's constantly injured. It's definitely a tricky situation. On one hand you say "**** him...let him sit and not get paid" or "trade him" (I'm honestly curious what we'd get for him...he's a seven time pro bowler but he'll be 31 to start the season and he can't stay healthy) but on the other hand you have the possibility of playing without him from the get-go and having our QBs demolished again. But if he can't stay healthy what's the point in paying him?

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

When they both get carried off on a cart who is next up?

I'm less concerned when our strategy for winning is probably to run the crap out of it.  Rookies tend to get banged around, I dont love it, but what can you do.  

With Trent basically guaranteed to not play a full 16, they're gonna be in this position no matter what.  There's no way around that scenario.  Dread it, run from it, destiny still arrives.

17 minutes ago, MartinC said:

For the folks saying ‘screw him and trade his ass to Buffalo’ - how do feel about rolling Haskins out to play QB with Flowers or Christian at LT? Or Keenum or McCoy for that matter.

Not good I assume.

We do still have the luxury of not playing Haskins at all to protect him, until we get the LT situation straight.  This is a money grab by Williams.  He is trying to take advantage of our situation in order to get more money however, he has misplayed it a bit considering we have so much money tied up in Alex Smith.  I have been a huge fan of Trent but this is a selfish play by him this late in the offseason.  We are talking about a potential ring of famer to do something like this is really telling of someones character.  If it was up to me I say trade him, his heart obviously isnt in it.   As for me, Im done with him.  He is probably afraid to get smoked in practice by Sweat anyway.  

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

When they both get carried off on a cart who is next up?

Who cares? Perfect storm. Trade him. Try to recoup the second round pick. Let Dwayne ride the bench this year and win 3 games. Pick Jeudy. Sign a FA tackle next year or trade for one. 

Trent plays 12 games a year now and as SIP has pointed out, is one joint away from a year long suspension. He's not worth more money than he is making. I also don't think he actually has any real leverage if we are willing to wait him out. Let him try to find another team that is willing to give up a second and pay him more than he is making. Good luck with that. 

The fact of the matter is that Trent is now old and brittle enough that a number of us in the draft thread are consistently discussing the need to draft a tackle. He's just not worth the extra money. Especially not for a team that probably won't be really good for 1-2 years. I'd rather give that money to  young healthy guy and keep building for the future. 

49 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I kinda am less vexed by this than it seems most are.  I suspect the chances he sits out the year or even most of it are slim.  He's not gonna Le'veon Bell this thing, I wouldnt think.  Either way, I'm comfortable with this being his last year as a Redskin.  Next year's top priority will be getting a LT.  And that was coming sooner or later.  Get out of the Trent business too early rather than too late.  If he makes it to 33-34 upright and at this level, I'll be shocked.  He's not getting any healthier either.  We might be on a new LT regardless.

Not like we're on the cusp of anything where we need him to put us over the top next year.   

I want to be right with you on this.  But I don’t think you can just draft a Trent Williams caliber player anytime you feel like it.

23 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Who cares?

Jay Gruden and the rest of the coaching staff who’s jobs rely on winning games this season?

The rest of the lockeroom who see trading their best offensive player as a signal that they are not expected to really compete this year so they may as well mail it in and try to avoid getting hurt?

What stands out in my mind is, "Trent, who do we cut to be able to keep you?".  We didn't want to get into cap hell with Cousins, and now that I'm happy it's Minnesota in cap hell and not us, I am wary of paying Trent more despite loving him as a player all these years.

I hope somehow a palatable deal can be made so he can retire a Redskin, but also hope we pass if it's just not worth it like it wasn't with Cousins.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Jay Gruden and the rest of the coaching staff who’s jobs rely on winning games this season?

The rest of the lockeroom who see trading their best offensive player as a signal that they are not expected to really compete this year so they may as well mail it in and try to avoid getting hurt?

Of course Jay Gruden cares more about this year than the long term good of the franchise. That's why he shouldn't be making long term personnel decisions at this point. We are not built to win this year. Maybe not even next year. We can't lock up more money in a guy that just isn't worth the investment at this point. Trent can't be relied upon to stay healthy and his knee issues are chronic. He isn't going to find the fountain of youth. He is going to decline. I'm fine with keeping him at his current price, but even then, we need to be looking at finding a replacement, sooner, rather than later. 

Also, if everyone wants to mail it in, cut them if they are old injured vets like Trent. Suck this year. Draft an elite playmaker in the top 10 of the draft. Invest to be good when we are actually in a playoff or championship window. 

Only in the NFL can you not show up to work and still get paid. If you holdout due to a contract you agreed to, you should not get paid, end of story. A regular working man or woman wouldn't get paid if they didn't show up to work, and on top of that, they would get fired. I don't see why the NFL allows players these privileges. 

I wanted to trade him before this happened. He is always hurt and can barley stay on the field anymore. Get something for him while we still can. 

-Move Scherff to Tackle, he played it in college. We drafted 2 guards this year.

Scherff / Martin / Roullier / Pierschbacher / Moses

5 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

I wanted to trade him before this happened. He is always hurt and can barley stay on the field anymore. Get something for him while we still can. 

-Move Scherff to Tackle, he played it in college. We drafted 2 guards this year.

Scherff / Martin / Roullier / Pierschbacher / Moses

Definitely not a top half of the league offensive line, but it prevents Flowers from seeing the field. We need to sign Scherff before the switch to LT though. 

I continue to very glad that posts/posters on ES have no impact on actual decisions taken by the Redskins. 

Imagine drafting a rookie QB with limited College starting experience high with a group of receivers who struggle to get separation/win at the LOS and then trading away your Pro Bowl LT with absolutely no viable depth behind him (which is a problem in itself given Trent’s injury history). What could possibly go wrong ...

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Definitely not a top half of the league offensive line, but it prevents Flowers from seeing the field. We need to sign Scherff before the switch to LT though. 

Schreff is not moving to LT.

Archived