Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

I don't like this new trend of players doing this when they have multiple years left on their contract.  When they are in a contract year, I sort of understand because it is nice not to have the end of a contract looming over your head during the season, but he has 2 seasons left.  Maybe he figures by the time he is 32 going on 33, it will be harder to get that one last big pay day?

I am not opposed to paying him, but it also depends how much his agent is demanding.  Also, another thing to consider is how much an annual pro bowl tackle could fetch in a trade with a team in need.  Trading Trent to certain teams would really boost their O-lines, so this crazy idea that all he could garner is a 2nd round pick? GTFO with that noise. Dude has gone to the probowl for 7 straight years. 

This is another situation where being a perennial .500 team makes matters worse because the question then becomes do you pay Trent that big contract just to see the team continue to be mediocre or do you look at the drafting of Haskins & returning of Guice as a justification to rebuild the offense overall?   If Williams ends up traded, the first thing the front office needs to do is get Sherff locked up long term.  If I was more confident that this team was on the cusp of being good, very good, or even great, I would say sign Williams for as much $$$ he is asking because paying him in the short term is worth it because you need a LT of his caliber as part of your team.  However, if the team is tending towards 6-10/7-9/8-8 for the next couple of years, I don't see the need to pay him all that money at this time. 

Pay the dude. Don’t mess with this situation and let it linger. 

It’s the new norm for elite players to leverage their situation for greater financial gain. Must remove logic related to how it was 3,5 or 10 years ago. It is what it is. 

Trent is a freak and will easily play to his mid 30s (Think Jason Peters). He’s missed games, but is tough and reportedly a leader off the field. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A portion of these games were missed due to him being shutdown. 

There's got to be more to this story, I wonder if he was one of the players we were shopping and he found out, or he wants to lock in before the CBA to get some upfront cash.

From what he said to JP before last years season started he's damaged goods that will be playing with knee pain for the duration.

This is a weak move.

31 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The problem with this is that Scherff may want LT money instead of guard money and we can’t pay him unless we know he’s capable of holding down the fort. Our best bet is keeping Williams.

The difference in that money is marginal now, what say 14mil per year or 16mil per year....but yes, I agree our best bet is to keep Williams in 2019.

Nice OL draft class in 2020 to consider too.

Let this one play out, I personally can settle on a number of options.

Trade him. He has been a great player but the team has dealt with a few suspensions and he can't stay on the field, not to mention he is about to turn 31. Crappy time for him to do this.

I am usually on the players side of this. But he is making very good money - very good considering how much time he misses.  6th highest at his position. Only Taylor Lewan, Nate Solder, Jake Mathews make significantly more. The other two are within $500k. 

Just for the record I was all for trading him right at the end of last season. Let freed go also. Another talented player that can't stay on the field. 

Eh, feels like a gut punch when I just read it.  He's been injured and suspended, yeah, but he also was on the field with excruciatingly painful injuries when we only had a chance at the playoffs.

We have no shot at getting an LT before the season, and a 2020 2nd rounder doesn't have an all-pro history.  We also have no replacement and just lost Nscheke (I'll be able to do calculus in my head before I can spell that without looking it up).

I don't like it, but pay him.

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Way to strengthen his and his agent's position Jay, lol.

Jk, not a big deal to say.

I think that was Jay throwing his weight around intentionally.  Still not sure what his say was with the Haskins pick, so I think he's saying this as much for himself as he is for Williams.

Unrelated-ish:  I think we as Redskins fans take left tackles for granted.  We went from Chris Samuels to Trent Williams.  That's top five to top five.  We haven't had a quarterback in forever, but we haven't NOT had a left tackle in forever, either.

18 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Way to strengthen his and his agent's position Jay, lol.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing when i watched the conference.  Trent's agent can go heck the HC said he's needed in the worst way and he's the best LT in the league.  Solder is getting 15-16 mill.  We should get 17 million and get paid as the top LT in the league. 

LT is extremely important to any football team, and you just don't want to let one walk.  Of course the team will have to evaluate, but I don't think we have a viable replacement at this time.  

I see a lot of instant reactions here and find it funny how many people just say "cut him" "Trade him" "Let him go".  We don't know what the ask from him is, aside from a new contract.  We have a very good person drawing up contracts, in fact, most skins fans have been singing his praises with numerous deals.  Why do people forget this now?

He might just be pushing for a contract through age 36 where we tack a few things on and give him some signing bonus that helps him financially but stays status quo for the team & his cap hit. 

Lets hope both ends get a deal they want.

Skins aren't going to contend for anything this year unless it's a fluke with Case Keenum.  So if Trent Williams is  not going to play then it may be time to bite the bullet and clear out some old veterans.  Btw - someone suggested having Scherff play Tackle - he couldn't make it at RT so there's no hope for him at LT.   Keenum is more mobile than Haskins and the Skins need to protect Haskins from repeated hits in the pocket.  Haskins can sit. Maybe the Skins can get a 2nd round pick to replace the one they used on Sweat.

A brain tumor / cancer scare may be what this is all about.   Here today gone tomorrow you never know in life.

Give him his next contract early, but with a reasonable term / out clause.  This should be right up Bruce's alley.

I wonder if his self dosing helped stave off a more serious brain tumor, while some fans scoffed at his "selfish behavior".

4 minutes ago, superozman said:

I see a lot of instant reactions here and find it funny how many people just say "cut him" "Trade him" "Let him go".  We don't know what the ask from him is, aside from a new contract.  

The Skins already have a deal they want and Williams wanted.  Prior to the draft we had already considered trading Williams or moving him to LG.  Many fans were hoping to draft a Tackle to be next in line when Williams would be out for several games (as usual).  Not his fault but only a fool would plan on him playing 16 games

Depends on how long and guaranteed money. Give him top 3 money for the two years left in his contract- NO guarantee with an injury provision that he be on the field X number of games..... In two years we can negotiate. I hate these contract BS..I like Trent but with the CAP hit for Alex I wouldn't go "Hog" wild. The question is will Trent sit out if he doesn't get what he wants. At his age..I don't think so. BUT As a REDSKIN that played hurt and well..give him a commensurate bump for the next 2 years. THAT won't kill the CAP.

I think the only reason he's doing this now is because he knows he has all of the leverage with this FO.  Personally, I think he should be told to wait in line until next off season.  I don't think there are many suitors, at this point in the off season that will give him the kind of money he wants either.  If he sits out, it certainly isn't the end of the world, considering we probably aren't going to be in contention.  

We need to be building around the young guys, not gifting vets retirement checks.  And all of the guys that wouldn't get paid as much elsewhere as they do here, need to be on the chopping block (Norman, Trent, Kerrigan, etc).  

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Alternative view - trade him, pay Scherff and move him to tackle. Play the rookies at guard. Not sure Trent has a great amount of trade value though, 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe. May as well pay him more for 2 or 3 years as above.

Scherff is a damn near All-Pro guard. It would be foolish to move him to the tackle spot, especially considering the team tried him at tackle his rookie season, and quickly realized he was much better at guard. His play would drop off precipitously as a T, I'd wager.

Regarding Trent, it's kind of a dick move to pull this now honestly. He's an elite LT, and is still making very good money. Because one or two guys make more than him, he now wants much more, and is using the fact the skins drafted a QB high to force his way into a much larger deal.

I'd say give him a few extra million for the next two years, and then let him walk or cut him after the new CBA is signed. We really have no way to replace his production in any way right now, but he's still coming off as greedy.

16 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

A brain tumor / cancer scare may be what this is all about.   Here today gone tomorrow you never know in life.

Give him his next contract early, but with a reasonable term / out clause.  This should be right up Bruce's alley.

I wonder if his self dosing helped stave off a more serious brain tumor, while some fans scoffed at his "selfish behavior".

Playing off of this, I don't know if his agent would accept a contract like this but the part that I'd be gun shy about is guaranteed money.  The thing about Trent is obviously he's not the pillar of durability.   He's had more health issues this off season.  So I doubt the best is yet to come as for Trent's durability moving forward into his 30s.    After being healthy through most of his career, Chris Samuels got banged up later in his career and retired in his season 10.  Trent is now entering his season #10.

I agree with the sentiment of those saying pay Trent because we need him.  But I don't think it's so cut and dry.   I think the structure of Trent's contract matters more than the typical one because in his case you have three dynamics:  1.  His age.  2. Durability.  3.  He's one violation away from a year long suspension. 

This isn't like someone like Ryan Kerrigan where you can always count on him to play.  I hope they can work things out but I don't know if I have the attitude of just give the dude what he wants (if what he wants is either a big pay raise or a lot of guaranteed money moving forward) as if there is no potential downside to it.

Case may be more mobile than Dwayne, but deep down thinks its untrue that Dwayne cannot run.

Likely for most of his life, he was taught to be a pocket passer as a priority in his goal to be an NFL QB.  So I for one am not going to let patience in the pocket, or poise, lead me to believe a 21 year old athlete cannot run.

OT I would be interested to see how the league handles a pure CBD violation of a guy fresh off a brain tumor.

Archived