Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Montez Sweat Mississippi St.

PCS

3 hours ago, zskins said:

Just wanted to clear up something. You can still get the virus that causes covid symptoms/illness even if you have the vaccine. 

I'm not sure if you were trying to be sarcastic or not.  But if not, I'm not entirely sure how much more clear I could have been on the subject.  The below bolded part specifically states you CAN still get COVID after being vaccinated.  So, not sure how that could have been any clearer....

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1. Getting the vaccine reduces the probability you will contract COVID.  It does NOT eliminate it, but it DOES reduce it.  

2. Vaccinated individuals have a lower probability of experiencing significant symptoms (including death) if they do contract the disease.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm not sure if you were trying to be sarcastic or not.  But if not, I'm not entirely sure how much more clear I could have been on the subject.  The below bolded part specifically states you CAN still get COVID after being vaccinated.  So, not sure how that could have been any clearer....

Yeah, but the question everyone is asking is whether or not you can get or spread the virus while vaccinated, and no one seems to have the answer.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Yeah, but the question everyone is asking is whether or not you can get or spread the virus while vaccinated, and no one seems to have the answer.

????

Yes you can.   Allen is vaccinated and he got it.  So, clearly you CAN get it when you are vaccinated.  

And the CDC has said that if you get COVID, whether you are vaccinated or not, you CAN spread it. If you don't trust the CDC, every scholarly medical article written on the subject says the same thing.  ** Medical scholarly article does not mean what Dr. somebodyorother says on CNN or FoxNews.  

Also, It's not as likely you will spread it if you are vaccinated and caught it, and it's even less likely you will spread it to a vaccinated person.  But it is absolutely possible.  

Which isn't to say you shouldn't get vaccinated, because all of the odds of everything bad happening go down dramatically once you're vaccinated. 

As I started my other post, this is all about probability and risk management.  And it seems like we have failed to teach 3 generations what that means, and that's probably the most amazingly stark piece of information coming out of the pandemic.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I think the argument being pushed here is an absolutist one. That is, if the vaccine doesn't 100% eliminate the chance of everyone contracting COVID under every situation then it is valueless. If that's the argument, it's a poor one. If that's not the argument, I'm not sure what's being argued about over the last few pages.

No method of prevention is 100% effective. People die in car crashes who wear seat belts. People with flu shots sometimes catch the flu. People who hear the song, "Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys," sometimes wind up with children who are Cowboy fans.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

????

Yes you can.   Allen is vaccinated and he got it.  So, clearly you CAN get it when you are vaccinated.  

And the CDC has said that if you get COVID, whether you are vaccinated or not, you CAN spread it. If you don't trust the CDC, every scholarly medical article written on the subject says the same thing.  ** Medical scholarly article does not mean what Dr. somebodyorother says on CNN or FoxNews.  

Also, It's not as likely you will spread it if you are vaccinated and caught it, and it's even less likely you will spread it to a vaccinated person.  But it is absolutely possible.  

Which isn't to say you shouldn't get vaccinated, because all of the odds of everything bad happening go down dramatically once you're vaccinated. 

As I started my other post, this is all about probability and risk management.  And it seems like we have failed to teach 3 generations what that means, and that's probably the most amazingly stark piece of information coming out of the pandemic.  

I was joking. It was a joke.

• Thumb down 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sorry if you misunderstood. I wasn't being sarcastic. I was just trying to say that in your bullet points list, done well of course, you should have stated that you can still get the virus. COVID is not the virus. COVID is the symptoms. SARS-Cov-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19. Hopefully everyone knows that by now and sorry for being anal about it. 

21 hours ago, DEASkins said:

It's not about having Covid. It's about the night and day difference in restrictions the NFL rules apply to those that are unvaccinated compared to those that are and how it affects their availability for game day

Sweat played his personal game of Covid Roulette and lost so hopefully he learned his lesson from all of this and gets vaccinated. Obviously it's a choice but in professional team sports where your availability is important you really don't have a choice. 2 negative tests is considerably easier than a mandatory 10 days

Learned his lesson? 

If he was worried about side effects from the vaccine before the season, I'm not sure Sweat catching the virus now would change much.  I'm assuming he's going to make a full recovery from this bout with covid as most healthy young people do. If that happens, he should wind up with some form of natural immunity.

Obviously, the League does not recognize a player's natural immunity and they'd still be subject to the harsher penalties you highlighted. I didn't talk to the guy so I can't claim to know what his reasons are for not wanting to get the shot, but I'm not seeing how this would change his mind. Or maybe it will. Tough to say. 

But as you mentioned, it's his choice. I think its wrong for fans to be pissed off at a player for making their own personal health decisions. It's a bad situation for everyone,  but I will respect anyone who chooses to or chooses not to get vaccinated. 

Would you be upset with a player who suffers a knee injury in week 1 and spends the next 12 weeks trying to rehab, but winds up having to get surgery and will now miss a large chunk of the following season? Not exactly an apples-to-apples scenario, but here you have a player who is making a medical decision, and the choice they made cost them more games than  had they initially gone with the riskier option of surgery. As a fan, I would be bummed out that we wouldn't have the services of that player for so many games, but I can't be mad at them. It's their choice. 

I can see how a fan's natural reaction to the situation is to be angry with him, but I feel like we need to remember this is just a game. I do look forward to when he gets back on the field and hope he performs well down the stretch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, duffy said:

Learned his lesson? 

If he was worried about side effects from the vaccine before the season, I'm not sure Sweat catching the virus now would change much.  I'm assuming he's going to make a full recovery from this bout with covid as most healthy young people do. If that happens, he should wind up with some form of natural immunity.

Obviously, the League does not recognize a player's natural immunity and they'd still be subject to the harsher penalties you highlighted. I didn't talk to the guy so I can't claim to know what his reasons are for not wanting to get the shot, but I'm not seeing how this would change his mind. Or maybe it will. Tough to say. 

But as you mentioned, it's his choice. I think its wrong for fans to be pissed off at a player for making their own personal health decisions. It's a bad situation for everyone,  but I will respect anyone who chooses to or chooses not to get vaccinated. 

Would you be upset with a player who suffers a knee injury in week 1 and spends the next 12 weeks trying to rehab, but winds up having to get surgery and will now miss a large chunk of the following season? Not exactly an apples-to-apples scenario, but here you have a player who is making a medical decision, and the choice they made cost them more games than  had they initially gone with the riskier option of surgery. As a fan, I would be bummed out that we wouldn't have the services of that player for so many games, but I can't be mad at them. It's their choice. 

I can see how a fan's natural reaction to the situation is to be angry with him, but I feel like we need to remember this is just a game. I do look forward to when he gets back on the field and hope he performs well down the stretch. 

People should be free to make their own medical decisions, and I've been triple jabbed but I firmly believe in people's right to choose.  I guess "my body, my choice" only applies to certain scenarios in the minds of some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 4
  • Thumb up 1

Well, less than 24 hours after my last comment the NFL has had 4% of its players test positive in only 2 days.  Sweat has been very busy.  Also, the Rams are now in dire straights, despite having all but one guy vaccinated, so clearly its a league wide thing and not one player

• Thumb up 2

51 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

People should be free to make their own medical decisions, and I've been triple jabbed but I firmly believe in people's right to choose.  I guess "my body, my choice" only applies to certain scenarios in the minds of some.

Except the coronavirus is a Public Health Issue not a personal one. False equivalency indeed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

The comparison between abortion and this is such an unbelievably embarrassing and pathetic attempt to discredit vaccinations. You should be ashamed if you legitimately think they’re similar.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, duffy said:

A more accurate comparison is a player who skips out on conditioning for the entire offseason and then gets a knee injury in week 1 because he did nothing to help the durability of his body. Even then, it's not an accurate comparison because poor conditioning is not a contagious disease that can spread to other players or immune-compromised head coaches who went through chemotherapy.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, duffy said:

Learned his lesson? 

I'm not sure exactly what to say to this as I have already posted a few comments within this thread in regards to Covid and professional NFL athletes but I will take another stab. I am fairly certain that most people who take a stand against being vaccinated are only doing so in principle in regards to their situation and not because they are truly concerned about legitimate, serious side effects. For example, I haven't been vaccinated yet because there isn't an underlying reason for me to be. I own a small business, work outside mostly, am healthy and I already had Covid before vaccines were available. If proof of vaccination is required for venues or travel destinations that I would like to go to, or other strong reasons for being vaccinated arise that affect my life directly then I will get vaccinated. My wife on the other hand works for a medical company and was going to be fired if she didn't get vaxed so she she went ahead and took the needle because of the circumstance she was in. Her main reason for not wanting to get vaccinated was because it was unnecessary as she works from home and currently still does, but taking a stand in principle was not worth the consequence of being fired from a job she enjoys. 

Montez Sweat is a professional athlete who plays for an organization that has setup Covid guidelines and restrictions that highly favor those that are vaccinated compared to players that are not - even to the point that you could argue if a team had a legitimate road to the Super Bowl, that very outcome could be severely limited if one or a few star players decided not to be vaccinated and became affected leading to their placement in Covid protocols for the unvaxed. 

So my question to you, since you are stated as being in defense of Sweat, do you really think he is concerned about side effects from getting a Covid vaccination or is he just abstaining in principle? 

Edited by DEASkins

7 hours ago, NickyJ said:

A more accurate comparison is a player who skips out on conditioning for the entire offseason and then gets a knee injury in week 1 because he did nothing to help the durability of his body.

You forgot to add....then his knee injury spreads to teammates and they now have a knee injury. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snagletooth said:

Principle primarily I would guess but also risk assessment.  There is essentially no risk for Montez from Corvid and now he will have nearly perfect immunity. So why sign a waiver of liability and get a jab that is linked to heart issues in young healthy people?  

Principle does not outweigh the consequences to himself and the team as he is unavailable to play which means he has nothing of value to Wash. Sweat is a professional athlete who plays a dangerous sport, who is recovering from a broken jaw and has had at least one concussion in his career. Maybe he shouldn't play football because he might get hurt

2 hours ago, Snagletooth said:

Principle primarily I would guess but also risk assessment.  There is essentially no risk for Montez from Corvid and now he will have nearly perfect immunity. So why sign a waiver of liability and get a jab that is linked to heart issues in young healthy people?  

The bolded is false. In fact, his chances of getting Covid again remains much higher if he is not vaccinated than if he gets vaccinated, as does his chances of having greater complications and possibly passing it on to others. I am not saying he did pass it on this time as we do not know, but I am saying that remaining unvaccinated still increases his chances of getting Covid and therefore passing it if he does. Combine that with the fact that getting Covid is greater cause of heart issues than the vaccine, and it's not even close as the chances of the vaccine causing heart conditions is rare, and he will reduce his chances of again not being available to his team, the responsible thing to do is get the vaccine. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

4 hours ago, Snagletooth said:

Do you get your medical information from Gwenyth Paltrow or Bill O Riely? 

2 hours ago, daveakl said:

You forgot to add....then his knee injury spreads to teammates and they now have a knee injury. 

I, uhhhh, didn't forget that lol

10 hours ago, NickyJ said:

A more accurate comparison is a player who skips out on conditioning for the entire offseason and then gets a knee injury in week 1 because he did nothing to help the durability of his body. Even then, it's not an accurate comparison because poor conditioning is not a contagious disease that can spread to other players or immune-compromised head coaches who went through chemotherapy.

• Like 2