PCS

Welcome to the Redskins Montez Sweat Mississippi St.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

 

We have gotten so much better at drafting with the current structure, IMHO. Sweat was a great pick. He's an elite athlete, with elite size, and produced very well. Moving up and grabbing that kind of guy for two 2nd's is so much better than trading back off of a guy like that for 2 seconds. The Colts moved back and drafted Ben Banogu. He's an elite athlete, but is 24, smaller than sweat, and never produced on a level comparable to Sweat. Even if he winds up being good, it was a poor process pick. Older relatively non-productive athletes like Banogu that are drafted on athletic potential belong in 3rd or 4th. 


Sweat was a great pick and has the potential to really transform this defense if he can become a pro-bowl caliber speed rusher. 

 

 

 

Agree on I was one of the people that touted Banogu on the draft thread as a 2nd tier type pass rusher that I like.  Regardless, Sweat has the tools to be elite.  Banogu not so much.   We got IMO too many solid-good players and not enough killer game breaker types.  Sweat has the tools to be great.   It's part of the reason why I also loved (no pun intended) the Bryce Love pick.  If Love gets back to healthy, he has elite level talent. 

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Agree on I was one of the people that touted Banogu on the draft thread as a 2nd tier type pass rusher that I like.  Regardless, Sweat has the tools to be elite.  Banogu not so much.   We got IMO too many solid-good players and not enough killer game breaker types.  Sweat has the tools to be great.   It's part of the reason why I also loved (no pun intended) the Bryce Love pick.  If Love gets back to healthy, he has elite level talent. 

 

 

 

 

Precisely, we have been lacking the players that make our opposition uncomfortable. When healthy, Love, Foster, Sweat, & Guice all offer that in addition to Payne, Allen, Ion, & even Settle offers extreme upside we’ve lacked. Settle, in Dallas, flashed more than any DT we’ve had in 15 years. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 1:07 PM, Koolblue13 said:

I'd rather see Anderson and Sweat starting over Kerrigan. Doesn't close on the QB, terrible in coverage and overpersues the run.

 

I have no idea why we continue to see posts like this one.  Ryan Kerrigan has been rock solid, he's never hurt, and he just puts up solid season after solid season year after year. Before the draft he was literally the only edge rusher on this team, I have no idea why he gets hate from some uninformed fans.  There is no reason, zero, to bench Ryan Kerrigan for Anderson.  

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Ignoring all the Raiders stuff, this is a good blend of highlights on what Sweat brings in each phase of the game. 

 

 

 

Thanks for this..  You are right, need to wade through all the Raiders crap but this is the best highlight package I've seen yet.  Can't wait to see this guy play, maybe even Manusky can't screw this defense up.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

Thanks for this..  You are right, need to wade through all the Raiders crap but this is the best highlight package I've seen yet.  Can't wait to see this guy play, maybe even Manusky can't screw this defense up.  

*Nervous laughter*

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, volsmet said:

Settle, in Dallas, flashed more than any DT we’ve had in 15 years. 

 

Volsmet, I missed that game. Any chance you have the ability to gif Settle's Dallas game up a little bit in the defensive front thread?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

I have no idea why we continue to see posts like this one.  Ryan Kerrigan has been rock solid, he's never hurt, and he just puts up solid season after solid season year after year. Before the draft he was literally the only edge rusher on this team, I have no idea why he gets hate from some uninformed fans.  There is no reason, zero, to bench Ryan Kerrigan for Anderson.  

Plus, how many clutch plays / turnovers has kerrigan been a part of over the years.  He has been our defenses biggest playmaker and continues to perform well.  with his leadership, he is one of the first ones to pencil in on the starting defense.   

 

And what exactly has Ryan Anderson accomplished that we should view him as a threat to the starting position?  I think Anderson can play a role on this team and I still have hope he will continue to grow into a better player, but starting Anderson over kerrigan would be absolutely foolish, and I don't expect the coaching staff to even consider it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping that we get Sweat signed before rookie minicamp is over with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dexter Manley ran a 4.55 40. I remember him as a rookie gunner on ST. Totally trashed opposing overages...I wonder if they'd risk Sweat in that capacity given they have *some* depth to give him breathers on D. THAT would be (was) fun to watch...

 

This guy is BETTER than Manley... Kerrigan/Sweat > Manley/Man looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better than Mann/Manley? Kerrigan would be no.3 in that group for me.   Sweat, we can only hope turns out to be the next Dexter, Ryan the best on the left side since Mann.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The Redskins other first-round pick, linebacker Montez Sweat, stands out because of his measurables. "I have no doubt he'll play a lot," Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. "The skill set is obvious. You see his length, you watch him run after practice and he's probably faster than anyone we have right now."

 
i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer2h ago
 
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2019 at 8:23 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

 

 

He reminds me of another #90 that used to play for the Panthers. Peppers used to run sprints with the DB's in practice because he was so fast.

 

 

 

download.jpeg

Edited by 98ORAKPO98
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Supposedly that's his brother DeMarcus Sweat, he played as a wide receiver for Kentucky.

 

Thank you for clearing it up. Thought hadn’t even crossed my mind. People already trying to make the guy look bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

 

Volsmet, I missed that game. Any chance you have the ability to gif Settle's Dallas game up a little bit in the defensive front thread?

 

Absolutely - I’ll look at it this week.  

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

 

 

Best pick of the draft.

1 hour ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:
Since 2017 – only Nick Bosa and Ronheen Bingham have a higher pressure percentage on their pass-rushes than new Redskins edge defender Montez Sweat
 
 

 

 

He made a joke of the competition at the Sr bowl.

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Plus, how many clutch plays / turnovers has kerrigan been a part of over the years.  He has been our defenses biggest playmaker and continues to perform well.  with his leadership, he is one of the first ones to pencil in on the starting defense.   

 

And what exactly has Ryan Anderson accomplished that we should view him as a threat to the starting position?  I think Anderson can play a role on this team and I still have hope he will continue to grow into a better player, but starting Anderson over kerrigan would be absolutely foolish, and I don't expect the coaching staff to even consider it.  

 

@Koolblue13 has some pretty strange takes. But Ryan Anderson starting over Ryan Kerrigan may be the most bizarre take I've ever seen from him/her.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a bit OT but I'm likin Sweat's demeanor, just seems like regular, down-to-earth kinda guy, good family, easy going but focused, just someone you'd hang out with totally aside from football.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

@Koolblue13 has some pretty strange takes. But Ryan Anderson starting over Ryan Kerrigan may be the most bizarre take I've ever seen from him/her.  

Right. Then come the season when everyone is in the game day thread ****ing about him over pursuing run plays and biting on every single play action you'll look at the price tag, but he'll get a couple games a year that he'll pad his sack totals and you can tout him as untouchable come the offseason. If Anderson improves as much as he did last season, it'll be irresponsible to keep him off the field. By midseason last year, even Cooley was banging the table wondering why he wasn't on the field most of the time. I get that sacks are your be all stat for a players ability, but theres a lot more to being a good OLB. Especially on Kerrigans side.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wonder how telling the PFF pressure rate is for a prospect. Sweat was tied top 3 in the last 3 years. I remember PFF saying something about pressures being more reliable and predictive of NFL success than sacks.

 

Sweat definitely has been productive. I honestly think there is a real chance, with his production, length, and athleticism, that we may have drafted our first all pro defender in years. I hope he keeps his head on straight and works hard.

Edited by Anselmheifer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Right. Then come the season when everyone is in the game day thread ****ing about him over pursuing run plays and biting on every single play action you'll look at the price tag, but he'll get a couple games a year that he'll pad his sack totals and you can tout him as untouchable come the offseason. If Anderson improves as much as he did last season, it'll be irresponsible to keep him off the field. By midseason last year, even Cooley was banging the table wondering why he wasn't on the field most of the time. I get that sacks are your be all stat for a players ability, but theres a lot more to being a good OLB. Especially on Kerrigans side.

 

Kerrigan offers a skill that is very valuable and hard to find, he is never hurt and has been productive. So far Ryan Anderson has shown very little, there is no chance he will be able to provide the edge pressure Kerrigan provides. So as you can see from the responses from the other posters your position is not shared by others, including the coaching staff.  

 

There is not a player on this team that can't be criticized for something. I just think you are barking up the wrong tree with your assessment of Kerrigan when there are many other players where criticism is more worthy. And the suggestion to replace him with a guy who has so far shown virtually nothing makes little sense as well.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.