Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Montez Sweat Mississippi St.

PCS

I am going to be watching to see how Kerrigan's production is affected by Sweat coming off the other side. RK is a solid player but hasn't gotten a lot of help, different LBs, a legit threat in Sweat, totally different dynamic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Kerrigan offers a skill that is very valuable and hard to find, he is never hurt and has been productive. So far Ryan Anderson has shown very little, there is no chance he will be able to provide the edge pressure Kerrigan provides. So as you can see from the responses from the other posters your position is not shared by others, including the coaching staff.  

There is not a player on this team that can't be criticized for something. I just think you are barking up the wrong tree with your assessment of Kerrigan when there are many other players where criticism is more worthy. And the suggestion to replace him with a guy who has so far shown virtually nothing makes little sense as well.  

I'm not saying that kerrigan is a bad player. I'm saying hes a better than average overpriced player. And the mob consensus of this board is hardly a metric to use for a players abilities. Half the time they think PS players are being held back because someone is a coaches pet. :ols:

as far as the coaches, and I dont know your post history, but the board seems to think that's the biggest hole on defense. 

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not saying that kerrigan is a bad player. I'm saying hes a better than average overpriced player. And the mob consensus of this board is hardly a metric to use for a players abilities. Half the time they think PS players are being held back because someone is a coaches pet. :ols:

as far as the coaches, and I dont know your post history, but the board seems to think that's the biggest hole on defense. 

I've never seen an above average player average almost 11 sacks a year since entering the league. I'm sorry but I just don't see how Ryan Kerrigan and 'above average' are synonymous. He's a very good player. A lot of fans take him for granted, but the guy has a really good initial get-off from the LOS, and is obviously extremely strong. Yes he doesn't look like an athletic freak when running, but his quickness off the line makes up for it. He's about to break the all-time Redskins sack record with an absolute garbage DL around him the majority of his professional career, last year was the first time he played with a really good DL. I'm not attacking you or anything, i would just like to hear what makes him just an above average player in your eyes.

• Like 2

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

So, now referees are gonna have to disregard holding calls on both of our OLB's

Kerrigan gets choked on 108% of his pass rushes. 🤔

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So, now referees are gonna have to disregard holding calls on both of our OLB's

:kickcan:

I wonder if every fan thinks their players are held on every play. Wasn't that our excuse for Orakpo?

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I've never seen an above average player average almost 11 sacks a year since entering the league. I'm sorry but I just don't see how Ryan Kerrigan and 'above average' are synonymous. He's a very good player. A lot of fans take him for granted, but the guy has a really good initial get-off from the LOS, and is obviously extremely strong. Yes he doesn't look like an athletic freak when running, but his quickness off the line makes up for it. He's about to break the all-time Redskins sack record with an absolute garbage DL around him the majority of his professional career, last year was the first time he played with a really good DL. I'm not attacking you or anything, i would just like to hear what makes him just an above average player in your eyes.

Hes not elite, not average. He's very good. Sad and surprising that hes our all time leader in sacks, but we've only been good for a small time since they recorded sacks.

• Like 1

'Rak got mauled all the time, don't even try............. but that's one thing that keeps jumping out watching Sweat, he's got those loonngg arms and knows how to use 'em. He's fending off a tackle all the time but still watching the play and ready to break loose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Kerrigan gets choked on 108% of his pass rushes. 🤔

Would help if he had a wider variety of pass rush moves, that's always been his biggest weakness to me. Yes it should be called more but he has no plan B or countermoves much of the time

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Would help if he had a wider variety of pass rush moves, that's always been his biggest weakness to me. Yes it should be called more but he has no plan B or countermoves much of the time

• Like 1

I thought this was a Montez Sweat thread? 😜 J/k

Anyways, Kerrigan is a good player but no one would argue he is elite. Edge rusher is the most important position besides QB, IMO. If Sweat fulfills his athletic potential at edge rusher, it would change the entire dynamic of the defense, much like an improvement at QB would affect the offense.

• Like 1

@volsmet kind of a weird response to my post, I didn't say Kerrigan was bad or even less than very good. I said he'd be held less around the neck if he had a wider arsenal of passrush moves. It should be called more regardless. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

@volsmet kind of a weird response to my post, I didn't say Kerrigan was bad or even less than very good. I said he'd be held less around the neck if he had a wider arsenal of passrush moves. It should be called more regardless. 

You posted of his limitations, I responded with results that suggest he’s not exactly desperate for additions to his arsenal. That doesn’t seem weird to me, but I trust your diagnosis. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bantu said:

I thought this was a Montez Sweat thread? 😜 J/k

Anyways, Kerrigan is a good player but no one would argue he is elite. Edge rusher is the most important position besides QB, IMO. If Sweat fulfills his athletic potential at edge rusher, it would change the entire dynamic of the defense, much like an improvement at QB would affect the offense.

Montez Sweat will have an impact on Kerrigan on the other side, thus relevant to the conversation right?

Who would you classify as an elite pass rusher in the league right now?

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Montez Sweat will have an impact on Kerrigan on the other side, thus relevant to the conversation right?

Who would you classify as an elite pass rusher in the league right now?

In the glory days, there was Mann and Manley and they formed a great tandem with Manley being the speed rusher/occassional freelancer and Mann being the blue collar high effort guy. At one point, I hoped Kerrigan would become Mann and Orakpo would be his Manley, but Orakpo was too oft injured too really take advantage of his talent. Worse for both of them, they lacked Dave Butz and Darryl Grant.

Now, if we're lucky... Payne and Allen can be a rich man's Grant and Butz allowing Kerrigan and Sweat to become Mann and Manley. 

I hadn't really thought about it deeply before, but I think Kerrigan probably compares favorably to Charles Mann though I'd probably give the edge to Mann.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hes not elite, not average. He's very good. Sad and surprising that hes our all time leader in sacks, but we've only been good for a small time since they recorded sacks.

I agree with you here, I wouldn't put Kerrigan as an elite player either. 

• Like 1

Scouting Combine Test Results

Event Result
Bench press did not participate
40-yard dash 4.53 (1.57 10-yard split)
Vertical Jump 36"
Broad Jump 10'9"
3-cone drill 7.01
Shuttle run did not participate

Burns’ 40-yard dash time was the second best by a defensive linemen on the day and sits tied at 9th best at the position since 2006 when NFL.com’s list of combine results starts.

https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-noles/2019/3/1/18246080/fsu-nfl-combine-results-tracker-brian-burns-demarcus-christmas-nyqwan-murray

Apparently, Brian Burns had the 9th fastest 10 yard split at the combine since 2006, with a 1.57. Sweat ran a 1.54. For point of reference, Von miller ran a 1.57. Unreal athleticism. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/von-miller

Also, I didn't realize that Sweat's crazy bull rush from the Senior Bowl was against Tytus Howard. Watching him own Dalton Risner(thx volsmet) was also impressive. I literally have no idea why I preferred Brian Burns. 

• Like 4