Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Montez Sweat Mississippi St.

PCS

6 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Mason would allow us to be better run stoppers than with Shaun Dion who I like but I see him more as a backup

You know Shaun is probably the smartest guy on that defense and was the captain LB'er next to Re.Foster when they played together.  You might have your view backwards. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Manusky has not been great as the d coordinator but I believe he will improve. Much easier when you have talent and he has much more than when he first came here. Also keep in mind that we hired Rob Ryan as a lb coach. While I think he was overrated as a def coordinator he still brings experience to the table. 

I do take back slightly on our depth on the d line. Forgot we cut McGhee. So Caleb Brantley better be good. Oh any chance Marcus Smith, former first rounder with Eagles, actually can play?  But Brantley and Tim Settle must be viable rotational guys with Allen, Payne, and Ionnadis. Someone mentioned moving Anderson inside and I like that idea. Him and Mason would allow us to be better run stoppers than with Shaun Dion who I like but I see him more as a backup. Add Landon in the box and the big guys up front and our run def should be much better. 

I'm not sold on Brantley as much as I am Settle. He looks like a beast out there at times and if he improves more, we could have a 4 man DT rotation with little dropoff. That's just absurd 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm not sold on Brantley as much as I am Settle. He looks like a beast out there at times and if he improves more, we could have a 4 man DT rotation with little dropoff. That's just absurd 

He's going to get better.  Skins have been setting this defense up for as a focal point.  The big picture is coming into focus.  I just don't see Gruden in it.  O'Connell will get the benefit next year as the HC.

If he gets 10 sacks this year...this Defense will be legit top of the food chain defense. You know Kerrigan is getting his 10+. Having a speed guy like Sweat coming blindside will also help Kerrigan. And you know the beef up front are each going to get their share, and again, Sweat is going to put pressure on QBs to step up. And with the addition Foster and Collins the run D should be stout. All of that should help hide some of the vulnerabilities in coverage. But even with that, if Dunbar is back healthy, which is looking likely, man we could be looking good. We also have a little bit of depth in the front seven now, between Ryan Anderson, Tim Settle and whoever is the back up between Mason/SDH...not super deep but at least 1 deep with real quality at each level.

The other thing is, Sweat doesn't have to be an every down guy to make his impact. Anderson and Sweat could go 50/50 and Sweat would still get his chances to rush the QB. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's my only concern. I think he may just be an average DC.

What I hope happens, is this defense plays its full potential, and ends up Top 5, then Manusky gets a bunch of credit, and it somehow lands him

a HC gig.

I think we could easily find a better DC...perhaps one that is currently on our staff.

Manusky get a HC gig? I don't care if we have the best defense of all time, that is not happening.

But, if the D is top 5, why look to change anything?

The way I see it, this year plays out 1 of 2 ways. 

1. The team does well, the Defense is stout, the Offense is good enough, they make the playoffs and the entire coaching staff is back ready to build onto a good season.

2. The team does not do well, even with the Defense looking good, they don't make the playoffs and everyone is fired. At that point, we actually probably would be attractive for top Coaches, with a young QB, and a young seemingly extremely talented D.

• Like 1

This fear may be unfounded but one of the things that concerns me most about sweat is the fact the colts didn't want him.

They've been drafting amazingly well lately and also have a huge need for a pass rusher, but instead of counting their lucky stars that sweat fell to them they traded back 20 spots.

Just seems like they should have run to the podium but hey hopefully their wrong this time, I know I'm pretty excited to see what he can do in the burgundy and gold.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2017/04/05/newcomer-montez-sweat-impressing-spring-msu/100065492/

STARKVILLE – Relentless.

Ask Mississippi State players and coaches about how edge guy and newcomer Montez Sweat has performed this spring and there is a good chance a couple of things will happen. First, the person answering the question will raise his eyebrows or his eyes will light up. Then, the word “relentless” will be used if not in the first sentence, certainly by the time the second one is completed.

“Even when he is on one side of the field, he makes plays on the other side of the field,” outside linebacker Gerri Green said. “Most guys, that’s not a common play and it should be more common, but he makes that play every day. Every time you watch film, you see him make that play. That’s why … he plays with that relentless style.”

At 6-foot-6 and 241 pounds, Sweat, a junior in his first year with the program after a one-year stint at Co-Lin, has a long, rangy and muscular build. It was during offseason agility work and sprints when he first wowed his new teammates. That is when Erroll Thomspon said to himself, “Yeah, this guy Sweat is going to be pretty good.”

“He is a long guy, so you’d think he is fast,” Thompson said, “but you don’t know how fast he really is.”

Until you actually see him, apparently.

“He covers like 10 yards in two steps,” linebacker Dez Harris said. “It’s just crazy.”

Embedded video

looks like Mississippi State got a good one in Co-Lin DE Montez Sweat (no. 3 here), formerly of Michigan State.

It will be worth keeping an eye on Sweat on Saturday during Mississippi State’s Maroon and White Spring Game (3 p.m., SEC Network) because many say he has been the most impressive newcomer this spring in a group of 13 early-enrollees.

Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, who also coaches linebackers, has described Sweat as “relentless” on a few occasions. On Tuesday night, Grantham said Sweat is an impactful player for the Bulldogs.

RELATED: J.T. Gray is in a new/old spot for the Bulldogs

Sweat, who played defensive end for Co-Lin, will play as an outside linebacker in the Bulldogs’ 3-4 base set. In the nickel package, he could look more like a defensive end, but both positions are basically interchangeable in Grantham’s system, the coach said. To put it simply, look for Sweat to line up outside the widest guy to his side.

“He can set the edge in the run game,” Grantham said. “He is learning and has a feel for pass-rush as far as how to trap elbows and get on the edge and has a feel for oversets. He is pretty relentless in the rush. Even if he gets stuck on a block, he continues to do it and he has made some plays for us doing that.”

There is that word again.

Since the day Grantham was introduced in early February, he has preached that he wants the Bulldogs’ defense to be fast, physical and aggressive. Sweat, who is unavailable to the media as a first-year player per team policy, seems to have played up to that mantra well this spring, based on conversations with players and coaches, who say he is constantly pressuring the quarterback and making plays all over the field.

Sweat is part of an outside linebacker group with Green and Marquiss Spencer that would provide Grantham some depth and versatility. Harris, Thompson, Leo Lewis, Tim Washington and Traver Jung are all working as inside linebackers.

In Grantham’s scheme, linebackers are expected to be blitzers with speed. Grantham’s track record suggests he can help create such a unit. As defensive coordinator at Louisville last season, Grantham’s squad racked up 94 tackles for a loss, which was No. 25 in the nation.

Based on Sweat’s spring and Grantham’s track record, it is reasonable to think Sweat, who had 39 tackles, including six for a loss, with five sacks for Co-Lin last season after transferring from Michigan State, will be able to make an immediate impact for the Bulldogs.

“Sweat might be, for his size, one of the most athletic people I’ve met,” Harris said. “He is going to be a definite positive for our defense because the guy is just relentless.”

https://sports.usatoday.com/2016/09/02/colins-sweat-talks-commitment-to-mississippi-state/

Sweat is intrigued by Bulldogs defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon’s viper position, which acts as an outside linebacker/defensive end hybrid that rushers the passer, sets the edge and will also drop into coverage.

“That’s the position that they were telling me I was going to play when I took my first visit there in the summer,” Sweat said. “That’s really what I am — a stand-up pass-rusher who can drop back into coverage. I like using my speed more than anything.”

Edited by 98ORAKPO98
  • Like 1

https://amp.clarionledger.com/amp/636240001

“He’s fast. He’s an explosive player. He really is,” MSU defensive line coach Brian Baker said. “He is an explosive player that plays with the right mentality. I don’t care what the stats said. You watch the film; that dude was all over the field.”

It was only one game and it was against an FCS school, so Baker said he isn’t ready to “anoint anyone anything.” But Sweat, whose versatility enables him to line up as either an end or outside linebacker, has a strong chance at becoming the Bulldogs’ best pass-rusher this season.

Grantham has complimented Sweat since the spring for his speed, length, aggressiveness and athleticism. The former Michigan State player had offers from LSU, Texas A&M and Louisville out of Co-Lin. He initially committed to MSU when Peter Sirmon was his primary recruiter but clicked with Grantham because of Grantham’s past at Michigan State and his defensive philosophy.

“He sees the game so well that he can communicate with me on the sideline about what happened and what they’re doing so we make the proper adjustments,” Grantham said. “He is going to be a really good player.”

Yes Sweat could be the next Julius Peppers and a future first ballot hall of famer! :)

• Like 1

I think sweat will probably be a decent pick for what we spent on him, but I have some concerns about this guy's size and lack of bend. 

I think he might get held up a lot by more athletic and stronger NFL tackles. Pressure is good, and i do think he is capable of applying it consistently, but we need someone to bend the edge to actually get to the qb. I don't know a ton about the NFL trends at this position so I could be wrong and maybe you don't need those traits in today's NFL. 

His length and speed looks like it could be very helpful for blocking passing lanes and covering the flats though. 

I'm not down on him, as I think he'll be a better version of preston smith immediately, I'm just tired of our larger pass rushers getting consistently held up on 3rd down while we have to gamble on whether we get the holding call or they get the pass interference call. 

Edited by sportjunkie07
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I think sweat will probably be a decent pick for what we spent on him, but I have some concerns about this guy's size and lack of bend. 

I think he might get held up a lot by more athletic and stronger NFL tackles. Pressure is good, and i do think he is capable of applying it consistently, but we need someone to bend the edge to actually get to the qb. I don't know a ton about the NFL trends at this position so I could be wrong and maybe you don't need those traits in today's NFL. 

His length and speed looks like it could be very helpful for blocking passing lanes and covering the flats though. 

I'm not down on him, as I think he'll be a better version of preston smith immediately, I'm just tired of our larger pass rushers getting consistently held up on 3rd down while we have to gamble on whether we get the holding call or they get the pass interference call. 

Fear not my friend, Sweat will be a strong, explosive, agile pass rushing monster...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/3042131002

In a draft considered especially deep along the defensive line, Sweat has emerged as a potential top-10 pick, and someone who could play as either a stand-up rusher or traditional hand-down defensive end.

"That’s how you want to draw up a defensive end," NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said in a conference call this week. "He is tall and long and explosive. We had a chance to see him up close there at the Senior Bowl. He’s got unique ability to be able to bend and wrap at the top of his rush. Once he gets to the very top, to be able to flatten to the quarterback. You can watch the Auburn game, he just completely takes it over in terms of just abusing that tackle."

• Like 2

If he pans out, offenses are going to have to add an extra blocker against us pretty much on a consistent basis. All 5 DL/Edge guys (Kerrigan, Payne, Ioannidis, Allen, Sweat) should win most of their 1 on 1s, so I dont even know how teams are going to deal with it. If Ryan Anderson and Tim Settle breakout this group could stay fresh with quality guys coming in and rotating. It's just an awesome feeling knowing we're finally putting extreme value into building the DL. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, redskinss said:

This fear may be unfounded but one of the things that concerns me most about sweat is the fact the colts didn't want him.

They've been drafting amazingly well lately and also have a huge need for a pass rusher, but instead of counting their lucky stars that sweat fell to them they traded back 20 spots.

Just seems like they should have run to the podium but hey hopefully their wrong this time, I know I'm pretty excited to see what he can do in the burgundy and gold.

Good teams pass on great players on a regular basis. I guess Darius Leonard isn't good now because the Patriots didn't take him.

6 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Good teams pass on great players on a regular basis. I guess Darius Leonard isn't good now because the Patriots didn't take him.

Yes, no doubt that good teams pass on great players all the time and I'm not suggesting that sweat will be a bust, I was just making an observation that worries me.

And the Darius Leonard example kinda solidifies my point.

He was generally expected to go in the second to third round but the colts got him very early in the second which indicates they saw talent that most others didn't and the fact that as a second rounder he had just about as good a rookie season as is possible confirms that, otherwise he would have been a top 5 pick.

I just hope the colts aren't right about sweat like they have been about many prospects lately. 

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Yes, no doubt that good teams pass on great players all the time and I'm not suggesting that sweat will be a bust, I was just making an observation that worries me.

And the Darius Leonard example kinda solidifies my point.

He was generally expected to go in the second to third round but the colts got him very early in the second which indicates they saw talent that most others didn't and the fact that as a second rounder he had just about as good a rookie season as is possible confirms that, otherwise he would have been a top 5 pick.

I just hope the colts aren't right about sweat like they have been about many prospects lately. 

Their picks in the 1st were uber obvious choices besides Hooker (who has looked decent) and had very low chances of busting. An OC and an OG, yes they hit on them but they were surefire picks. I dont think even Indy knew just how good Darius Leonard was, they struck gold on that 2nd rounder. I'd trust our guys just as much as theirs, look at our 1st round history besides Doctson. 

• Like 2

I feel like we had 3 primary issues on defense that kept cropping up last year - 1) covering the back when they leaked out for passes, 2) finishing on 3rd downs (lacking a speed rush), and 3) off tackle runs.  I’ve got high hopes that the trio of Sweat, Foster and Collins can have a big impact in these areas.  They’ll remain a concern until proven otherwise, but I feel good about our chances.  

My main concern now is how well our coverage of receivers and tes holds up, including how Manusky calls coverages.  

Hopefully 1 or more of our young guys in the secondary step up... I’m certainly intrigued by this group of - Moreau, Stroman, Alexander, Nicholson, Apke and Moreland as the’ve all shown upside by flashing talent in the pros, College production, or in terms of athleticism.   

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TheShredder said:

You know Shaun is probably the smartest guy on that defense and was the captain LB'er next to Re.Foster when they played together.  You might have your view backwards. 

I like Shaun but don’t care how smart he is. He’s too small to play mlb in a 3-4. He needs to be a thumper so unless he bulked up and got stronger in the off season I rather see Anderson in there. Mason can handle the play calling. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

I like Shaun but don’t care how smart he is. He’s too small to play mlb in a 3-4. He needs to be a thumper so unless he bulked up and got stronger in the off season I rather see Anderson in there. Mason can handle the play calling. 

That was 2 weeks ago.  They're the same size.  Shaun is faster, Mason is slow.

hamilton.JPG.b78ac31efdfb7f702a5a3867091efa7d.JPG

On 4/29/2019 at 9:07 PM, skinsfan93 said:

Someone mentioned moving Anderson inside and I like that idea. 

Well, It is actually Nick Saban’s idea that Anderson would be a better fit inside in a comment he made right after he was drafted. I just recently reminded ES of that. It’s worth a try, at the least. 6’2” 253 lb who runs a 4.7 40 could do some serious damage. 

Back to Manusky. My observation last season was we were dominated by teams who had a good QB. I general, it seemed like Manusky’s strategy was to flood the backfield and play nickel and dime thinking this would be disruptive by taking away passing lanes, but it wasn't. My thoughts are the opposite - blitz the **** out of the veteran QB.

Too bad we missed out on Nassir Adderly and Darrel Savage. My dream was to have a flighty 4.3 sec safety playing the slot and boundary blitz on the blind side. Very Nick Saban-ish. Too many of our blitzes are interior. Maybe I’m wrong but against good QBs, it didn't seem like our front 5 was having the expected results. 

Edited by JaxJoe

I saw on Redskins Nation that Josh Harvey Clemons added 20 lbs this off-season. Who knows how much of that stays over the course of camp, and how his speed is affected are still a question, but it's cool to see him putting in the effort to be an every down LB

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

I saw on Redskins Nation that Josh Harvey Clemons added 20 lbs this off-season. Who knows how much of that stays over the course of camp, and how his speed is affected are still a question, but it's cool to see him putting in the effort to be an every down LB

I like Josh and think he has the ability to play outside as a lb in our 3-4. He definitely showed some pass rushing abilities last year.  I think if he can show something then he and Sweat can rotate along with Ryan. I still like Mason and Ryan Anderson to be our mlbs and have Shaun and Rueben as our backups with one of them alternating outside. 

If you ask me that’s a pretty formidable linebacker crew!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan93 said:

I like Josh and think he has the ability to play outside as a lb in our 3-4. He definitely showed some pass rushing abilities last year.  I think if he can show something then he and Sweat can rotate along with Ryan. I still like Mason and Ryan Anderson to be our mlbs and have Shaun and Rueben as our backups with one of them alternating outside. 

If you ask me that’s a pretty formidable linebacker crew!

Not really, if Mason Foster and Ryan Anderson are starting at ILB, that means Reuben Foster and SDH must be terrible players. 

• Like 1