Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

If the cap is meaningless if owners who do that, why have a cap.  I mean, isnt the NFL rigged so you can be drunk 365 days a year and still make a ton o f money?  So why not get everyone and build an all star team

Not entirely sure I understand the question.   Any team could always do this.   Again, not every year, but they can target years to do it and it's perfectly valid for them to do it.   We have pointedly, to the point of frustration really, NOT done it, as we have crested the wave of desiring compensatory picks.   But that was our strat.   Any owner can convert base cap dollars to guarantee bonus dollars if they wish.   But it's a hedge against the team's ability both to generate revenue to repay that, essentially loan, and for you to be willing to pay the consequence of mistakes.   Snyder has always been willing to do that, and was often mocked for it, but we haven't done it in so long I wasn't sure he still was on board for it.   

I would rather see Snyder do something about fan optimism and fan experience at games, but that's not who he is.   I was not sure with the decline in fan interest that he would be willing to cash his own check against the return on that investment, but he apparently still is.   That's a good thing, though I'm not as confident in doing this with Manusky and Gruden as I might be with someone else running the show.

Bucs are tight right now but it's rare for them and most of that is contracts with no guaranteed money remaining, for example DJax is on his way and he is $10 million with no dead money hit if he is cut or traded and there are half a dozen similar deals on the books.  The local media there figure they could easily free up $50m or so just be cutting a handful of overpaid veterans with no dead money on the books.

Just now, Art said:

Not entirely sure I understand the question.   Any team could always do this.   Again, not every year, but they can target years to do it and it's perfectly valid for them to do it.   We have pointedly, to the point of frustration really, NOT done it, as we have crested the wave of desiring compensatory picks.   But that was our strat.   Any owner can convert base cap dollars to guarantee bonus dollars if they wish.   But it's a hedge against the team's ability both to generate revenue to repay that, essentially loan, and for you to be willing to pay the consequence of mistakes.   Snyder has always been willing to do that, and was often mocked for it, but we haven't done it in so long I wasn't sure he still was on board for it.   

I would rather see Snyder do something about fan optimism and fan experience at games, but that's not who he is.   I was not sure with the decline in fan interest that he would be willing to cash his own check against the return on that investment, but he apparently still is.   That's a good thing, though I'm not as confident in doing this with Manusky and Gruden as I might be with someone else running the show.

I'm really sorry, I'll try to reprhase it.  If teams can use cash to avoid the cap, why don't more teams do it?  

I was also curious, what teams don't do it.  I think you said the Bucs, who are terrible, so this makes sense.  So do teams like the Patriots and Steelers do this alot because they seem to always be in contention.

Collins does provide some versatility of playing money backer on 3rd down. 

Look forward to getting a feel for his leadership and intangibles most in media appear high on. Really does go a long way in a locks room. 

Hopefully this will further embolden the Allens and Payne’s to take over lockeroom. Can really see the defense taking over as the stars of the team. 

So, we literally just spent 14 million MORE per year to be just as good as we were last year.  Great move.

Because Swearinger was every bit as good as Collins for a fraction of the cost.  Smells of a deal to put butts in the seats, pay a massive amount for a guy who's good, and swears by Sean Taylor.  Makes Collins the highest paid safety in NFL history.

All in a year where everyone was SHOCKED how many good safeties were on the market.  We could have had a good player at any price we wanted to name.

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Pass on Derwin, let DJ walk, overpay an overrated player. Washington Redskins 101.

Or....we got a much needed stud at nose tackle, got rid of a malcontent cancer who undermined coaching and signed a star player who makes impact game changing plays at safety.

Skins are back to their old ways of paying too much money- What other team in NFL would have given Collins that kind of money?  I know we needed to fill that hole but we have so many other holes to fill and very little cap space.  So they figured how to make it a small amount for this year but what about future years of cap space?  He better make the Pro Bowl and have a lot of interceptions- which he will not have as he will be a run defender often.

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Come on, man. Give it a chance... No need for the negativity. We all know we've been ass for a while but this is a decent move

No offense intended, my friend, but how many times have we said this?

It's different because of age, money, x, y, z. It's still Snyder. It's still Allen. Until that changes, I will be cynical.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

No offense intended, my friend, but how many times have we said this?

It's different because of age, money, x, y, z. It's still Snyder. It's still Allen. Until that changes, I will be cynical.

Oh, I certainly agree, I meant solely for this move to get Landon Collins. It's certainly an upgrade for the defense. Doesn't mean we are Super Bowl Champs yet... 

1 minute ago, oraphus said:

14mil per year for a box safety that cant cover.... umm.. skins Fo idiots strike again!

Can you share more on this? I’ve heard some of this, but waiting for someone to break down and support this view.

31 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I have more than one family member who has, or is currently, running the cap for NFL football teams. Little did I know, their jobs were meaningless. The cap is largely meaningless.

The things I pick up here rarely cease to amaze. 

Who said his job is meaningless?

Like a good CPA, you want your cap strategist to manipulate the numbers. Cash is the #1 way to do it. 

If he actually is doing what you claim and is working for a cash-strapped team, his job is a lot tougher. 

NFL Network had people on talking about the Cowboy’s cap situation. They said it doesn’t matter with the cash Jerry has. You know more than them too?

1 minute ago, hatchetwound said:

I'm really sorry, I'll try to reprhase it.  If teams can use cash to avoid the cap, why don't more teams do it?  

I was also curious, what teams don't do it.  I think you said the Bucs, who are terrible, so this makes sense.  So do teams like the Patriots and Steelers do this alot because they seem to always be in contention.

Because while all teams are profitable in the NFL, most owners aren't so wealthy that they can take money out of their accounts to pay immediate large sums of money, far surpassing the cap in immediate terms, for a payoff that may not ever come or may not come for years.   The Glazers are less liquid than Snyder.   Green Bay is less liquid.   Pittsburgh.   ETC.   You don't see all teams do it because all teams can't.   Some can.   The Rams couldn't in St. Louis, but could in LA because of market and prospective growth.   It isn't necessarily good or bad to do it.   It CAN be good.   It can be dumb.   We never really were punished by it when we did it a lot more often as we didn't really ever have a HUGE, massive, total bust, perhaps other than Sanders and Haynesworth.   You really need to get crushed on those sorts of deals for it to hurt you for any length of time.  

Expect us to add two more big names quickly.   We're still Hotel California for players we target :).   I'm stunned we'd do this for Gruden and Manusky, but it is what it is.   

In addition to his skill set on the field, every thing I've read about him off the field has been nothing but glowing. I love adding him to the strong foundation of culture we are starting to build on Defense with him, Allen, Payne and all the other Bama boys.

I suspect the actual financials of this deal won't be nearly as wild as the proposed $84 million floating around.  

Archived