Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA Governor Ralph Northam Got Some Explaining to Do

Bozo the kKklown

2 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Two thoughts considering both parties had to know these pics were out there:

1.  Did Dems not know about this bombshell and not care?

2. Are Repubs actually too stupid to not know this was out there?

Saw a tweet from a guy who claimed to do opposition research. He made the point that Gillespie was running a campaign that portrayed him as less sensitive about things like this, and more to the point, that statewide elections don't have the bucks to overturn every last stone. Who would have thought to check a medical school yearbook for idiocy? A HS yearbook yeah, but medical school? 

9 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyway, how many of you are upset/disappointed that it wasn't a Republican that did this?  Were you guys like, "Ralph Northam?  Photo of blackface and KKK?  Pleasebearepublicanpleasebearepublicanpleasebearepublicanpleasebearepublican....Democrat?  ****!!!"  

I usually assume that it’s a repub when things like this come out. If that’s the same thing. I’m usually right too

14 hours ago, visionary said:

I'm sure a lot of us thought things were funny decades ago that we don't now.  A lot of comedians even now make racist jokes for a living.  I don't particularly find blackface or the klan hood funny, but I'm sure there have been movies and shows where people did similar things in recent years.  (I'm somewhat playing devil's advocate here because there seems to be so much of a push for him to resign, but I do worry about the sort of standard this would hold people to, not just in terms of racial issues)

This is about as close to the line of "it doesn't matter, you still gotta go" as it gets.  There absolutely is a line, though.  

I don't believe he's a racist, so if anyone believes that, they should say that.  If not, then we're dealing with someone in their early 20s trying to one up his friends in offensive costume choices that as @Destino  noted in that time period that you just can't do today.  How many people in here joke about being glad social media wasn't around when they were young?

Anyone can feel how they want to feel about this, blackface is about as sensitive an issue as you can find in any time period.  He's a one term governor anyway, we've seen racist politicians, does he have a track record of being one?  And by that I mean pushing for racist legislation and dog whistling.  This reminds me of Al Franken, where I get why he was pushed to resign, but man, "Al Franken'ing Someone" is like a term in and of itself now.

12 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Let me answer your question with a question. Should we actually wonder whether someone who dresses up in such an offensive manner (and believe me, that's what this is... Truly offensive, in the worst way possible) is actually racist? Do you?

Do you think it ultimately matters ( even if by some wild stretch of the imagination he actually said "I love people of all races, and have no idea what any of this stuff here means, but I'm gonna style in it anyway!"), given this came out after the fact, and given the position he holds?

Most of this rhetorical, btw

Fair questions, its doesn't matter what he thinks now that he's done it because he has no control over how people react to it.  

If I'm going to jump on board with wanting him to resign, it will be because of the optics of the situation and how it will effect democrats in 2020. I need more evidence to say I want him out because he's a racist then or more importantly now because he's governor of a state (my state), but willing to accept his resignation based on reasons I already stated.

In all fairness, if at any point this came out before the election, he loses, GD if this came out in October, we end up with Gillespie as governor (*Shudders).  How much ya'll want to bet he wasn't planning on running for Governor in 1984?

24 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Makes me wonder where trumps racist photos are at...

Do tv cameras count as mirrors?

12 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Most of this rhetorical, btw

It’s only rehtorical because you want it to be to push your view. 

Applying todays standards to actions decades ago with no willingness to consider anything other than the action on its face can be an incredibly unfair thing to do. Hope you get to experience it one day since you’re willing to do it so quickly to others. 

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The man should be given a chance.

I don’t know him well enough to know whether there’s a possibility this was a bad mistake, or just a clue that he is/was a terrible person. 

But I know that in today’s world it doesn’t matter. We have no capacity to handle such a picture in the way you’re suggesting it should be. 

And ultimately, in my opinion, the opinion of the minority community in VA is all that matters. The man is charged with representing and serving them. If this shakes their confidence to the core, in the way it’s reasonable to believe it can or does, then he needs to go. 

If, as his initial reaction seems to indicate, he does not understand or respect that, then he absolutely needs to go because he doesn’t understand or respect what his job actually is. 

His intitial response should have included something about meeting with minority group leaders in VA to discuss and assess what they have to say about this, to determine if he can restore confidence and trust from them; and if not he will go. 

It didnt. That’s a problem. 

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

It’s only rehtorical because you want it to be to push your view. 

Applying todays standards to actions decades ago with no willingness to consider anything other than the action on its face can be an incredibly unfair thing to do. Hope you get to experience it one day since you’re willing to do it so quickly to others. 

Yeah... Try again.

Unfair is spending your entire life doing things right, then getting called a racist pos for no other reason than someone doesn't like the policies you are pushing. 

Doing something next level racist as a young adult, and not owning up to it until you have no choice, maybe  (and being called on that fact ), is not unfair. It's called being held accountable for your actions. Something I don't shy away from (it isn't hard, believe me I've tried and experienced  it plenty, though I feel like I must be one of the few  to have missed the "Everyones done some incredibly racist ****" life experience. Today's standards have always been the standard when you do something awful. Many people get this pretty early, knowing right from wrong. 

And spare me the high horse crap. Calling someone out for this nonsense all of a sudden becoming "Pushing a view," It's ridiculous. It's a standard everyone should be held to, especially people holding his position, and it cannot be tolerated.

And if you gleaned from my post that it's just the act itself I have a problem with,  you should probably read through everything again.... Maybe a few times.

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

I don’t know him well enough to know whether there’s a possibility this was a bad mistake, or just a clue that he is/was a terrible person. 

But I know that in today’s world it doesn’t matter. We have no capacity to handle such a picture in the way you’re suggesting it should be. 

And ultimately, in my opinion, the opinion of the minority community in VA is all that matters. The man is charged with representing and serving them. If this shakes their confidence to the core, in the way it’s reasonable to believe it can or does, then he needs to go. 

If, as his initial reaction seems to indicate, he does not understand or respect that, then he absolutely needs to go because he doesn’t understand or respect what his job actually is. 

His intitial response should have included something about meeting with minority group leaders in VA to discuss and assess what they have to say about this, to determine if he can restore confidence and trust from them; and if not he will go. 

It didnt. That’s a problem. 

I feel you on this one.  In my head, what came to mind about Northam reaching out to minority groups would be a lost cause.  We know what they will say, we know why he'd of done it, skip the pleasantries and either resign or see what happens if you don't.  His office is probably looking for an off-ramp or waiting to see who will defend him, you can forget it if Kamala Harris wants him gone, too.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I feel you on this one.  In my head, what came to mind about Northam reaching out to minority groups would be a lost cause.  We know what they will say, we know why he'd of done it, skip the pleasantries and either resign or see what happens if you don't.  His office is probably looking for an off-ramp or waiting to see who will defend him, you can forget it if Kamala Harris wants him gone, too.

Ive done quite a few things I’m not proud of. 

In my opinion, I should be judged on some of them regardless of my age or how long ago it was, and I shouldn’t on others. 

I find in’s it interesting where some people do and don’t draw the lines. 

And I don’t have a problem with people drawing lines. I think judging people (and yourself) is an incredibly important and necessary thing and as such respect how people do it

What I have a problem with is when people stand up and declare there is only one possible judgement, that nuance matters not, that the complete story matters not. That the discussion is not worth having. That those that think the discussion is worth having, have some serious character flaw. 

I think that is incredible dangerous, unfair, and immature. 

I'll say right now that in high school, 40 years ago, I did a lot of things that would disqualify me from political office, today. 

Not as extreme as blackface and KKK. (Although, if the Kool Kids we're doing things like that?  I could see my young self doing that.)

Do I think the guy is a racist, today?  Evidence I've seen argues the opposite. I assume that he's much more progressive, and has been for some time. I don't hate the guy, or think he's some kind of monster today.

Although, yeah, he was absolutely wrong, back then. I would not attempt to pull the "this was OK back then" claim. If I had been in the room, back then, I would have been offended.

But back to today?  Yeah, I think resigning is a good move. Under the heading of "we should expect better". 

Even though, yeah, I can see similarities to myself. 

Also, I don’t think you have to have dressed like that or done something equally as offensive to understand the problems with judging someone with the standards of 20-30 years later. 

Im positive nothing I’ve done reached that level of offensiveness.  Yet I don’t have an issue understanding that. 

I also think it’s important to separate:

- what does this mean about who he is as a person right now

and

- what does this mean about his ability to be the leader of the state and its different communities. 

I see as a completely reasonable opinion of this: I don’t think he’s a terrible person or even was a racist, but he cannot be my (or others in my community) leader for my state any longer. 

The fact that he won't say who he is in the photo says a lot about his character.

He is governor of VA with the help of black Democrats. He campaigned and won yet felt this wasn't important enough to disclose early. 

He needs to go and I am sick and tired of people justifying bad behavior because its the past.

To be clear, this was most definitely racist in 1984 (and 1934), it was just more acceptable to be racist then. Hopefully we are getting better. Politicians have gone down for less before, it's a tough business and the Ds rightfully don't want to defend this while trying to argue for progress.

25 minutes ago, tshile said:

Ive done quite a few things I’m not proud of. 

In my opinion, I should be judged on some of them regardless of my age or how long ago it was, and I shouldn’t on others. 

I find in’s it interesting where some people do and don’t draw the lines. 

And I don’t have a problem with people drawing lines. I think judging people (and yourself) is an incredibly important and necessary thing and as such respect how people do it

Agreed, lines make you who you are. We can either grow from fact we all have different lines or let it destroy us.

What I have a problem with is when people stand up and declare there is only one possible judgement, that nuance matters not, that the complete story matters not. That the discussion is not worth having. That those that think the discussion is worth having, have some serious character flaw. 

I think that is incredible dangerous, unfair, and immature. 

Maybe here, but we dont do this with stuff like the holocaust or rape.  Zero tolerance is a bazooka not a scaple.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Maybe here, but we dont do this with stuff like the holocaust or rape.  Zero tolerance is a bazooka not a scaple.

Correct

offensive dress up is not the same as mass murder and rape. 

(Assuming, dangerously so, that this was just “offensive dress up”)

Archived