Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another meteorologist who deserves to be fired

redskinss

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.today.com/today/amp/tdna146455

Has anybody seen the story of the Rochester ny meteorologist who was fired for using a racial slur on air?

He was making reference to Martin Luther king park and in a flub of words he stumbled and said Martin Luther coon king park.

It was a very quick stumble and did appear to sound accidental but it caused a lot of outrage and he was fired.

I'm torn on this one, on the one hand I believe anybody can mix words at any moment and doesn't deserve to be fired for tripping over their tongue but there's also a possibility that he is racist and it was a freudian slip.

Tough call but I think he probably should get the benefit of the doubt since this very well could ruin his life.

Al roker has come out publicly to defend him.

Coon isnt even that offensive to me if ima be honest. Like I would probably laugh if someone called me that in anger. If he has a history of racism then the internet will find it. Then fire his ass. 

But it is what it is I guess. This is the USA that we live in. You gotta watch what you say or pay the price. And im totally ok with that ****. 

This is where PC loses me, it doesn't feel about trying to help people affected, more about trying to be on right side of the controversy of the week. People so ready to not offend black people while they are getting straight slaughtered in Chicago, what you think matters more to us, our feelings or our lives?

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Coon isnt even that offensive to me if ima be honest. Like I would probably laugh if someone called me that in anger. If he has a history of racism then the internet will find it. Then fire his ass. 

I was thinking that too. Look into the guys history a bit. Seems to me, you usually don't have to dig to deep to find out how people feel. With social media, it's pretty transparent, but it's unlikely he would say anything too controversial given his job. 

Just now, Mooka said:

Sucks for this guy, but his job is to speak in front of a camera.

At least he was fired for not doing his job correctly.

Agree. I dont think hes racist. I mean, I dunno for real. But him saying this doesnt guarantee anything to me. 

But he ****ed up. If I accidentally deleted "Director" David from the GAL instead of "regular" David and that caused a loss in businesses then they would can my ass too. Is what it is. And you gotta watch what you say these days. Especially if you say **** for a living. 

Look how far they went back to get Kevin Heart. If this dude was a racist the internet would know for sure in a day. 

Look, all I'm gonna say, is I have said and heard "Martin Luther King" a fair amount since I was a  child to not botch it all that much, and if so, not to an absurd degree.

Botching it in place of a very offensive word used to describe black people, while at the same time naming the most important civil rights activist certainly in American history.... I mean, you just can't. Sorry. And it shouldn't matter whether you are a racist or not. Whether he deserved to get fired or not, I dunno. All I know is people can (and should) get fired for less all the time at regular jobs, and no one bats an eye. That is an image based business, at a time when people just do not put up with that kind of stuff.

RIP. Land on your feet somewhere else. If you did t mean it, don't ever screw that up again.

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Look, the word "coon" doesn't come out of someone's mouth unless they've said it in private. Without the word "King" behind it. Think about it. 

Uh, I thought about it, but I just don't agree. Anybody speaking quickly, likely reading off a teleprompter, will mangle words on occasion, and honestly, coon is not a racial epithet anyone under 60 is ever using. I find it far more likely that he simply messed up mixing King and Junior...think of all the stupid tongue twisters we tormented friends with as kids.

Remember Shepherd Smith mangling a phrase and saying blowjob on air? Trevor Noah did a hilarious bit last week of Trump's gaffes, though in fairness, Trump is nearly illiterate.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Look, all I'm gonna say, is I have said and heard "Martin Luther King" a fair amount since I was a  child to not botch it all that much, and if so, not to an absurd degree.

Botching it in place of a very offensive word used to describe black people, while at the same time naming the most important civil rights activist certainly in American history.... I mean, you just can't. Sorry. And it shouldn't matter whether you are a racist or not. Whether he deserved to get fired or not, I dunno. All I know is people can (and should) get fired for less all the time at regular jobs, and no one bats an eye. That is an image based business, at a time when people just do not put up with that kind of stuff.

RIP. Land on your feet somewhere else. If you did t mean it, don't ever screw that up again.

and his job is to speak on camera.

I just think he should have been given the chance to apologize. 

I don't know if dude is a racist or not though and a video of him saying he isn't racist is going to convince me.

Not sure he should be fired for it but thinking more about it, you should be able to enunciate your words if you are on TV every day.

I think being given a chance to apologize would give a decent sized window into the guy.

I mean, plenty of people nowadays would much rather double down and blame liberals, PC run amok, Maxine Waters, whatever stupid branch they want to hold onto to do basically confirm that they are indeed racist pieces of **** that deserve to hit the unemployment line.

I definitely think a "I messed that up, I'm very sorry" etc can still go a long way. And he definitely should've had the chance, though I can understand why he wasn't given one.

It’s clearly MLK’s fault.  Who the **** goes by DOCTOR MARTIN LUTHER KING JUNIOR.  Five ****ing names!?  Get over yourself buddy.  We get it, your dad was something special.  Then you went and got all educated.  But did you have to add your middle name too?

If you would’ve just stayed with Martin King then this poor weatherman would’ve still had his job.  Thanks A LOT.

Archived