Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another meteorologist who deserves to be fired

redskinss

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

There's plenty of racism in  society associated with the word that came out of his mouth, the people it's used towards, and the man he who's name it was trying to enunciate. Whether he intended to say it or not is besides the point. He said it. 

And people are definitely gracious enough to believe that he truly messed up and forgive and move on, but to sit here and act like this is nothing..... Well you're wrong on that. I don't think it's nothing. The amount of history attached to that word, and that man together? It will never be nothing.

I doubt your disappointment/whatever matches anyone still alivefrom that era that had to hear that phrase again, whether it was a mistake or not. Just step outside your own shoes for a second and think about it.

He didn't say "it."  He had a verbal slip that resulted in a sound that resembled "it."  From all evidence of the guy's background, that verbal slip had no meaning behind it.  

This reminds me of the time people wanted a DC government employee with no history or hint of racism fired for using the word "niggardly"- in proper contest -  because it sounded like... well, you know. 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

In fairness, one is racial while the other is just crass. 

I wasn't putting it forward as a serious comparison 😀. Taking alone the relative weightings of the words in the swearing/racist term hierarchies, the swear word probably wins, but in the context the racist one is a lot more likely to cause an uproar and deservedly so. Plus, as I already eluded to, Jeremy Hunt's popularity was such that many of us thought the 'mistake' was fairly accurate!

Archived