Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Gotta maximize every opportunity on DeGrom day. That inning when Trea struck out on a ball 4 and Robles got  caught in No Man's Land was a killer.

That was the ballgame.  That and Zimm's smash not getting through. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

That was the ballgame.  That and Zimm's smash not getting through. 

I'm still miffed about it--but everything is magnified because it was opening day. I worry about this team, though. They manifested the same issues as last year: inability to do the little things to turn these games into wins, Davey making the emotional choice (sending Max out to bat for himself in the 7th), and questionable--Miller instead of Rosenthal or Barraclough in the top of the 8th. But at least the defense was solid.

24 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm still miffed about it--but everything is magnified because it was opening day. I worry about this team, though. They manifested the same issues as last year: inability to do the little things to turn these games into wins, Davey making the emotional choice (sending Max out to bat for himself in the 7th), and questionable--Miller instead of Rosenthal or Barraclough in the top of the 8th. But at least the defense was solid.

That diving catch Robles made on the line drive... neither Eaton or Harper in CF last year have a prayer of catching that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'll give it a couple weeks. It is disheartening though,  hearing all winter how they were going to focus on being a better situationally adept team, and literally in the first game, they collectively blow chunks at it.

Out of 162.

I'll be at the stadium this Tuesday and if feel embarrassed, I might have some words.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It’s one game. The big screw up was by a rookie. Max gave up the winning run in the first. 

#breathe

• Like 2

On 3/27/2019 at 3:48 PM, Popeman38 said:

Well, constructive/fun convo works when your team isn't very good. We know, we had a few years of that not that long ago. Just interesting you only show up after Bryce signs in Philly. Kinda like another Philly fan who only shows up on this board when his team is winning...

Actually I've shown up in the past, and been told "This isn't really a rivalry, the nats suck" and "This isn't really a rivalry, the phillies suck".

So, i'll just let this slide and wait for some good discussion :)

After chewing on this for 24 hours, I've decided I'm worried for this team. This isn't a one game overreaction, it's a culmination of over a year of a disturbing trend. 

What am I most worried about? Max Scherzer.  Scherzer is going to be 35 in July. While he operates on a level beyond what typical humans are capable of, at some point, eventually, father time will catch up to him. 

The combination of this team's bullpen and this team's manager have the potential to run Scherzer straight into the ground. Make a Kerry Wood out of him (albeit later in his career). Ideally you'd want to be getting really creative to limit stress on Scherzer, get him out of the games by 95 pitches every time, reduce the wear on him over the course of a season. Davey went out yesterday, had a perfectly good chance to remove him at 93 pitches and pinch hit for him, and kept him out there for about 15% more pitches after that. 15% more wear on the golden arm.

Look, I actually fully expect that leaving Scherzer in gave us the best chance to win. But it's goddamn opening day. You don't need your $200m pitcher in his age 35 season throwing 108 pitches on opening day. 

This concern may very well prove to be needless, but I am legitimately worried our overuse of Scherzer last year and this year is going to end up taking years off his career, and in turn taking the Nats current window and slamming it shut in our face. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

After chewing on this for 24 hours, I've decided I'm worried for this team. This isn't a one game overreaction, it's a culmination of over a year of a disturbing trend. 

Thank you. This + the lack of capitalizing when runners are in scoring position will have me frustrated all year.

15 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

After chewing on this for 24 hours, I've decided I'm worried for this team.

And the fresh hope that arises in the hearts of baseball fans each spring lasted exactly

[checks calendar]

one day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5