Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

13 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Why the **** does the WaPost continue to cover **** like this? There isn't enough Nats stuff to write about? Like Soto, Robles, Gomes, Dozier, Corbin.... We have to read about what the other team's fanbase is planning? COVER THE TEAM LIKE A PROFESSIONAL NEWSPAPER. This **** gets old. The media in DC is more proud of tearing down than providing team coverage.

it's cheeseboy. 

DC Sports Bog has always been overrated. Don't see why everyone loves them. 

That being said get your tickets now and drown em out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Why the **** does the WaPost continue to cover **** like this? There isn't enough Nats stuff to write about? Like Soto, Robles, Gomes, Dozier, Corbin.... We have to read about what the other team's fanbase is planning? COVER THE TEAM LIKE A PROFESSIONAL NEWSPAPER. This **** gets old. The media in DC is more proud of tearing down than providing team coverage.

I will say Barry Svrluga, Jesse Doughtery, and some of the others do a good job.

20 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Here come the obnoxious fair-weather dbags

I guarantee the kid holding the sign has not been to a game since 2012, and the absolute latest.

Wanted to bump this thread for this very reason. I'm going to the game on the third but won't be there for the 2nd. For those of you going, please hold down the fort and don't let these BSL ****s take over the park. 

Edit: I'll say that I do love Sports Bog because they cover this kind of off-beat stuff and usually don't take themselves too seriously. They're the main reason I got a subscription last year - along with Boswell's columns and Chelsea Janes' Nationals coverage (though I guess my timing was poor in that regard).

Edited by thebluefood
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Here is the main problem--it's a Tuesday night in April. We are going to get the worst of the worst Phillies fans--the ones no real responsibility in life. Being an asshole at a baseball game is their sole purpose for existing.

If I didn't already have travel plans for the summer (namely a trip to Chicago to see the Nats play the Cubbies), I would've bit the bullet, gotten an AirBnB, and requested the 2nd and 3rd off for the sole purpose of holding down the fort at Nationals Park. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

If I didn't already have travel plans for the summer (namely a trip to Chicago to see the Nats play the Cubbies), I would've bit the bullet, gotten an AirBnB, and requested the 2nd and 3rd off for the sole purpose of holding down the fort at Nationals Park. 

If I didn't have two kids, an April 3rd deadline, and real responsibilities in life. I'd have no problem handing Phillies fan every ounce of their own medicine (except throwing up on little girls and eating horse****. Oh and I won't cheer when someone gets hurt. And I won't throw batteries. I'm not shanking anyone either.) Ok, so maybe not ALL their medicine.

• Like 1

I tried to tell ya'll a week or two ago there were massive amounts of fans coming down! 

I also like the fact that you all think vacation days don't exist LOL.  Since it's not opening day, it won't be like 2010, but right field would be awesome.  Sadly, i cannot go that day.  However, last year was the first year i missed a game in DC for the Phils since 07, so hopefully back on the streak this year!

the rotation will be nasty for the Nats this year, so i guess the phillies will see Sanchez - Hellickson - Scherzer?  Unless its a 4 starter rotation up front and then Sanchez/Hellickson - Scherzer - Corbin/Strasburg?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, superozman said:

I tried to tell ya'll a week or two ago there were massive amounts of fans coming down

We've been aware of this ever since they signed Harper. That bandwagon is oiled up and ready to go.

Yes, Phillies fans are as fair-weather and bandwagon as they come. This team spent 32 days in 1st last year--on Aug 7, they were 15 games over .500, leading the division on Aug 12. No one cared. They averaged just over 27K. Friday night game, 10 games over .500 against the Cubs, 2 games out of 1st. 22,000 showed up. That's pathetic. Don't tell me Philly is some great, passionate fanbase.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We've been aware of this ever since they signed Harper. That bandwagon is oiled up and ready to go.

Yes, Phillies fans are as fair-weather and bandwagon as they come. This team spent 32 days in 1st last year--on Aug 7, they were 15 games over .500, leading the division on Aug 12. No one cared. They averaged just over 27K. Friday night game, 10 games over .500 against the Cubs, 2 games out of 1st. 22,000 showed up. That's pathetic. Don't tell me Philly is some great, passionate fanbase.

1.  Every team is as fair-weather as they come.  I don't know a team that isn't fair-weather, yes, including the Nats, except Red Sox or Yankees - but they perennially put out a contender.  

2.  27K was over the whole year, not the span you gave.   That span you mentioned, people cared.  Numerous games in that span were sold out.

3.  Friday night vs the Cubs, the August 31st one where it rained all night and they squeezed the game in?   Ok.

I could very well nitpick the Nats fans and attendance, but I haven't yet, I came in providing information, but if you want to attack, I'm here :).  

18 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Isn't scalping illegal in DC?  Or is the philly travel agency selling the tickets at face value?

They are part of a package, which numerous companies do.  So I'm assuming they are protected by some law.  If not, i'm sure they can simply break out the price and state they don't make anything on the ticket, they make the money on the food/bev/bus/etc.

22 minutes ago, superozman said:

I could very well nitpick the Nats fans and attendance, but I haven't yet, I came in providing information, but if you want to attack, I'm here :). 

There is no more criticized fan base than the Nationals in all of baseball, so feel free. It's nothing we haven't heard before. We are also the youngest organization by 7 years. While we're losing 93 games, we're packing Nats park for just about every Strasburg start in 2010.  As many people love to remind us--we haven't won anything. Yet here we are, averaging about 31k, ever year. Maybe this is the Nats base?

Phillies fans couldn't show up for a 1st place team last year--27K is sad for a such a "die hard" fan base. 6 years after winning a World Series, 5 after going back-to-back NL Titles, the Phillies attendance declined by 48%.

• Thanks 1

"Represent us well," the station's marketing honcho, Cindy Webster, was saying, "as Philly fans at their finest." That advice came moments after a Mexican kitchen worker had been summoned to perform his signature donkey call just inside the bus door.

Sums it up in a nutshell.

I went to Game 1 of that series--the Ramos walkoff--I didn't shut up the entire way out of the Park. High-fiving complete strangers, bidding adieu to idiot Phillies fans. I even got into an argument with a Phillies fan who said "We would celebrate in April, they would celebrate in October"

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

There is no more criticized fan base than the Nationals in all of baseball, so feel free. It's nothing we haven't heard before. We are also the youngest organization by 7 years. While we're losing 93 games, we're packing Nats park for just about every Strasburg start in 2010.  As many people love to remind us--we haven't won anything. Yet here we are, averaging about 31k, ever year. Maybe this is the Nats base?

Phillies fans couldn't show up for a 1st place team last year--27K is sad for a such a "die hard" fan base. 6 years after winning a World Series, 5 after going back-to-back NL Titles, the Phillies attendance declined by 48%.

I do respect the Nationals attendance numbers, but I would question tickets sold vs actual people showing up.  Not sure if those numbers are anywhere.  You can say the same for Phils, i know.

But, since 2012 when the Phillies started their downfall (finished 3rd, 4th, or 5th including 3 5ths in 4 years), Phils averaged 29,650 in attendance.  In that same span, the Nationals averaged 31,321 with 4 1st place finishes and 3 2nd place.

And you keep going back to last year, just want you to put in correct perspective:

1.  It's an average of the whole year, so the beginning of the year averaged much less and the middle/towards the end.

2.  A new coach, who a lot of people didn't/still won't believe in unless changes, and a roster that didn't expect to succeed.

3.  With the success of the Sixers, and a playoff appearance by the flyers, money can only go so far for peeps!

3 minutes ago, superozman said:

But, since 2012 when the Phillies started their downfall (finished 3rd, 4th, or 5th including 3 5ths in 4 years), Phils averaged 29,650 in attendance.  In that same span, the Nationals averaged 31,321 with 4 1st place finishes and 3 2nd place.

The slide started a couple years after their WS and NL Title in 08 and 09.

4 minutes ago, superozman said:

1.  It's an average of the whole year, so the beginning of the year averaged much less and the middle/towards the end.

2.  A new coach, who a lot of people didn't/still won't believe in unless changes, and a roster that didn't expect to succeed.

3.  With the success of the Sixers, and a playoff appearance by the flyers, money can only go so far for peeps!

1. You keep saying that like i don't understand that.

2. Same could be said about the 2012 Nats--averaged ~30-32k or so (I didn't look it up, so I could be off), despite having 7 years of total history in DC.

3. If you say so.

It's actually kind of great that the only thing we have to talk about is that a bunch of bonehead Philly trogs will be defiling our fine city.  Otherwise, Spring Training is chugging along as planned/hoped.

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2019/03/boring-camp-to-date-is-exactly-what-nationals-needed.html

This has been an awfully boring camp. And I mean that in the most positive way.

There simply hasn’t been any drama in Nats camp this spring. None. What’s the biggest controversy? Max Scherzer complaining about the 20-second pitch clock (which has since been axed by Major League Baseball)?

What negative developments have occurred? Nobody of consequence has looked terrible at the plate or on the mound. Nobody reported out of shape. Nobody has been unable to play as planned, aside from the three guys who have suffered injuries.

And even those injuries haven’t proven to be devastating for the team. Sure, they’d love to have a healthy Koda Glover. But they’ve rarely ever had a healthy Koda Glover, and they certainly weren’t assuming they’d have one this spring.

Howie Kendrick strained a hamstring and Michael A. Taylor sprained a knee and a hip, but neither injury appears to be as serious as first feared.

• Like 2