Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

@OVCChairman, everything you countered to my list of possibilities are entirely possible. There are two sides to every Schwartz. It's entirely possible we win the World Series and I don't shut up about it. Ever.

It's why they play the games, as they say.

I'm with ya... you just asked us to change your mind, so i figured i'd give it a shot. 

There's A TON of factors that going into 162 game regular season... and if everything you mentioned goes WRONG, then we'll really be in a tough spot... but I can't assume everything you mentioned would go wrong.  I also can't assume that NOTHING outside of what you listed will go RIGHT.  There's likely a handful of things that happen to benefit this team that none of us are even considering.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Things that are possible. Yes, I am being a Negative Nelly:

1. Eaton continues to slug .388, which is what he did after returning from injury last year.

2. Soto's high GB rate turns him into a GIDP machine.

3. Robles low exit velocity turns him into Mallex Smith

4. Rendon gets hurt, produces like 2015

5. Dozier does not return to form

6. Adams has a 2nd half of last year, all year

7. Zimm gets hurt, produces like 2016

8. Kendrick's achillies is a bigger deal, cannot recover

9. Corbin is a contract year wonder

10. Strasburg FB never returns, ends up like Harvey--just not as douchey

11. Scherzer finally start to dec...I can't finish that sentence, it's too painful

12. Bullpen has a nightly, walk-filled meltdown outside of Doo. Their walk rates scare the crap out of me

13. Gomes/Suzuki regress badly, hit like Wieners. Not a typo.

14. Turner knows his favorite player is leaving, becomes Spiderman full-time (seriously, he looks EXACTLY like Tom Holland!)

Change my mind.

There is a very good chance that at least one of these things happens (my money is on #7).  If only one of them happens, they'll be a WS contender.  If 3 happen, then they wont.  If 5 happen, it'll be 2018 all over again.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

There is a very good chance that at least one of these things happens (my money is on #7).  If only one of them happens, they'll be a WS contender.  If 3 happen, then they wont.  If 5 happen, it'll be 2018 all over again.  

I'm actually very excited about Brian Dozier. If he can give us his average slash-line with 25-30 HRs, I'd be very happy.

Did yall see the ESPN piece where Harper insulted the backloaded contract and claimed he could not support his family on that? Dude you make 300 million over 10 years. What you talking about you can't support a family :rofl89:you're a millionaire 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Did yall see the ESPN piece where Harper insulted the backloaded contract and claimed he could not support his family on that? Dude you make 300 million over 10 years. What you talking about you can't support a family :rofl89:you're a millionaire 

There’s nothing wrong with what he said. The value of the offer was tens of millions of dollars less than the Phillies offer.

When he says his family, he’s not talking about himself, his wife, and their future kids. He’s talking about his great great grandkids. I’ll never knock a pro athlete for taking a significantly higher offer... this is their shot to make sure generations of their descendants are financially stable and every additional million dollars helps with that. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

There’s nothing wrong with what he said.

Get as much as you can, I'm fine with that. But come on, don't use your family as an excuse--or claim to be "insulted." It's really tone deaf.

But then again, speaking has never been his strong point. He was OUR d-bag so we made excuses for him.

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

This is why it wouldnt be another Soriano/Storen situation. Doolittle may be my favorite National

We gave up a very good pitcher in Luzardo for him, but he's been worth it. I'd extend him.

• Like 2

Harper, for his whole career, has mostly spoken in cliches and what he thinks he is supposed to say.  There have only been a few instances where an actual personality has come out ("clown question, bro").  For the most part, he's been a baseball cyborg with a rudimentary personality matrix.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Harper, for his whole career, has mostly spoken in cliches and what he thinks he is supposed to say.  There have only been a few instances where an actual personality has come out ("clown question, bro").  For the most part, he's been a baseball cyborg with a rudimentary personality matrix.  

He's a lughead. Always has been.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

His actual personality was evident when he told everyone his favorite teams are the Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers, Chicago Blackhawks, and Duke basketball....shows he is a bandwagoner who is insecure.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's vanilla but he's a nice guy.  He makes other people feel insecure rather than the other way around.  He's like Tom Brady.  Boring and fussy about his hair and annoyingly good and for some reason people ****ing hate that more than anything in the world.

Oooh, disagree.  Tom Brady gives very thoughtful and honest answers to a lot of questions, he just knows how to stay away from controversy and doesn't answer questions that he doesn't want to (internal locker room type stuff).  Bryce speaks almost entirely in "I just want to help my team win" type cliches and superficial Instagram photos. 

Edit:  Not saying he's not a nice guy.  I'm saying he talks like how he thinks his corporate sponsors want him to talk.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Oooh, disagree.  Tom Brady gives very thoughtful and honest answers to a lot of questions, he just knows how to stay away from controversy and doesn't answer questions that he doesn't want to (internal locker room type stuff).  Bryce speaks almost entirely in "I just want to help my team win" type cliches and superficial Instagram photos. 

Edit:  Not saying he's not a nice guy.  I'm saying he talks like how he thinks his corporate sponsors want him to talk.  

Beat reporters talk frequently about this. When he came up, he had personality. Then baseball people got in his ear, and effectively neutered him. Maybe now that he has his bag, he'll loosen up some more

• Like 1

Tom Brady was also easy to root for at one point because he didn't have his ass kissed all the way through college. No one thought he was going to make something of himself. 

Harper has been a phenom since he was a teenager and often still acts like he's in that age range. 

• Like 1