Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

54 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'd like to remind everyone I said this.

That said, I also said this, too.

FML, I can't believe I fell asleep.  I am so pissed at myself right now.

That sucks.  I watched the 1st inning (which sucked) and then got home in time for the 8th inning.  Didn't get to see it all but I saw enough to experience that beautiful alchemy of stress turning into elation that sports fans live for.  This despite the fact that I barely ever watch this horribly stressful sport. 

DC sports fans can't be choosy.  I've been living and dying with the Mystics too.  I'll take wins where ever I can find them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Man, I've gotta say, after going to game 1 and being surrounded by drunk Dodgers fans showing complete ignorance of and disrespect towards the Nats, talking trash and acting like we were a speed bump on the way to an inevitable pennant...knocking them off is so sweet.

It's tough being the little brother of the league, but dumping Bryce and eliminating the #1 seed was a big step toward flipping the narrative on our franchise. In 14 years, Howie's swing was the biggest moment in Nationals history. I'm so glad I saw it happen. 

The most exciting part is that we've got a chance to accomplish more. Stay in the fight! 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 3

I couldn’t stay up to watch, definitely expected to check news this morn to see that we fought hard, Maybe even lost 4-3 loss was in my mind when I first started looking at the score. 

I actually thought I didn’t see something right or was still sleep.

Kendricks won the game with a grand slam. That is so far from the reality I would have expected.

My my Nats beat my dads Dodgers on his birthday. Hahaaaaa, I can’t wait until he’s awake to see the news.

• Like 1

I posted this story over on the Nats subreddit and I wanted to share it here too because we're a family here at ES and you guys have known me for years, but it's lengthy and has a lot of personal stuff in it, so I'm going to spoiler tag it so it doesn't break up all the fun:

This series win meant a lot to me personally because it was a significant marker of time. When we lost to the Cubs in 2017, it was the start of a string of rough circumstances that made up one of the worst periods of my life.

A couple weeks after the 2017 NLDS loss, I found out my wife was pregnant. Great news! Scary, but great. Within 10 days, we discovered her hormone levels were stable instead of climbing and the fetus died shortly thereafter. That was her first miscarriage and it really messed us both up. She went on a business trip a week later that we couldn't afford for her to miss and I stayed behind to deal with my grief alone.

I had recently started a teaching certification program and the combination of that stress, along with grieving process, set me off and I had a nervous breakdown. I couldn't sleep or eat. What I ended up doing was taking some meditation classes, which helped quite a bit. I still remember the first one, shaking so badly I could hardly sit down. In a week or two, I recovered and things settled down.

Five months later, my wife was pregnant again and this time the baby came to full term. She's healthy and happy and my favorite person in the world. We've bonded over the Nats with Baby Shark and I'll never forget watching her first game (a 15-1 win over the Phillies, as she wore a Sea You Later onesie) or picking her up and dancing around the room when we won the WC game.

Tonight, there was a lot of baggage. I've moved on, but I haven't forgetten. Things were going horribly and I couldn't watch us blow it again. Once things evened up, I let myself get invested. My wife was rooting so hard for us even though she's not a fan and lost her mind over those solo shots. We turned the TV on at the beginning of extras and slowly watched the bases fill. When Howie sent that ball over the wall, I leapt into her arms and gave her the biggest hug I could, laughing and crying. Pure vulnerability. I felt such a weight lift at that moment.

I don't even know what to do with myself now. That horrible memory and association has been with me for so long and now I feel like I can put it to bed. I need to get up in the morning and head out to my student teaching assignment, which ends in January. Everything in my life felt like an absolute shambles just two years ago, but it's come together in a way I could only hope for. God is good.

All that being said, there's still work to be done and at least four more games of Nationals baseball. Stay in the fight!

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 11

They had all of the magic until the 8th, then we snatched it.

The truth is both groups of pitchers were getting hit hard all night, but the ball stopped carrying after it got dark, and the Dodgers couldn't get it out of the park after that.

That Rendon homer wasn't a bad pitch, he literally golfed that thing out of the park.  He is so special.  But Kershaw served Soto up on that next pitch.  That was a ****ing no-doubter that literally crushed the spirit of that stadium when it came off the bat.  People started heading home.  The Kendrick slam was pretty.  Like a baseball card swing.

• Like 2

I nearly went to sleep after 7 just because I was so tired and had to get up early, but I ended up catching the top of the 8th inning.  I'm glad I at least got to see that because once it was tired, I was thinking I had to go to sleep because who knows how long it could go.  Woke up and saw the score and was like NO WAY!  Then I saw how we got 7 and was like NO F'ING WAY ... HOWIE OF ALL PEOPLE??  

Now this morning I can't get enough of it man.  Unreal.

And I have to say too, I am one who hasn't been a fan of baseball in like 20+ years.  I've been to a few games too and always just found it pretty boring.  I'm sure some of you have seen me post about it in other threads on here including the sports radio thread.  BUT watching this series is starting to turn me a little bit.  I'm clearly on the bandwagon and think that even after this year I will have more of an appreciation for the Nats and will probably follow them more.  I always know what is going on with them because of sports radio, but I think this may be a turning point for me.

Keep it up Nats!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

I posted this story over on the Nats subreddit and I wanted to share it here too because we're a family here at ES and you guys have known me for years, but it's lengthy and has a lot of personal stuff in it, so I'm going to spoiler tag it so it doesn't break up all the fun:

Reveal hidden contents

This series win meant a lot to me personally because it was a significant marker of time. When we lost to the Cubs in 2017, it was the start of a string of rough circumstances that made up one of the worst periods of my life.

A couple weeks after the 2017 NLDS loss, I found out my wife was pregnant. Great news! Scary, but great. Within 10 days, we discovered her hormone levels were stable instead of climbing and the fetus died shortly thereafter. That was her first miscarriage and it really messed us both up. She went on a business trip a week later that we couldn't afford for her to miss and I stayed behind to deal with my grief alone.

I had recently started a teaching certification program and the combination of that stress, along with grieving process, set me off and I had a nervous breakdown. I couldn't sleep or eat. What I ended up doing was taking some meditation classes, which helped quite a bit. I still remember the first one, shaking so badly I could hardly sit down. In a week or two, I recovered and things settled down.

Five months later, my wife was pregnant again and this time the baby came to full term. She's healthy and happy and my favorite person in the world. We've bonded over the Nats with Baby Shark and I'll never forget watching her first game (a 15-1 win over the Phillies, as she wore a Sea You Later onesie) or picking her up and dancing around the room when we won the WC game.

Tonight, there was a lot of baggage. I've moved on, but I haven't forgetten. Things were going horribly and I couldn't watch us blow it again. Once things evened up, I let myself get invested. My wife was rooting so hard for us even though she's not a fan and lost her mind over those solo shots. We turned the TV on at the beginning of extras and slowly watched the bases fill. When Howie sent that ball over the wall, I leapt into her arms and gave her the biggest hug I could, laughing and crying. Pure vulnerability. I felt such a weight lift at that moment.

I don't even know what to do with myself now. That horrible memory and association has been with me for so long and now I feel like I can put it to bed. I need to get up in the morning and head out to my student teaching assignment, which ends in January. Everything in my life felt like an absolute shambles just two years ago, but it's come together in a way I could only hope for. God is good.

All that being said, there's still work to be done and at least four more games of Nationals baseball. Stay in the fight!

I remember when you posted after the August swoon.  While there would have been absolutely nothing wrong with deciding to leave it for awhile, I'm really happy that you decided to stay with it and got to enjoy this incredible journey and series.  Thank you for staying in the fight.

• Like 1

Seeing Corbin dispatch Freese like that felt like a turning point.  An exorcism.  That's when I got confident.

Corbin and Kendrick having redemptive performances and rewarding Davey's faith was also great.  They're great players and we need them playing with confidence in the next round.

Dave Roberts kind of screwed Kershaw.  He really only made one bad pitch and they yanked him right away and now that one pitch might be the thing that caps off his career as a Dodger...  Seeing him despondent and alone in the dugout was ****ty.  He's one of the best they've ever had and it feels like they hung him out to dry.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Dave Roberts kind of screwed Kershaw.  He really only made one bad pitch and they yanked him right away and now that one pitch might be the thing that caps off his career as a Dodger...  Seeing him despondent and alone in the dugout was ****ty.  He's one of the best they've ever had and it feels like they hung him out to dry.

And then he leaves Kelly out there to die......

Never thought I’d say it but Davy won the managerial war.  

I was actually speechless last night and that’s hard to do

Edited by stoshuaj

Have to ask, I saw him both in the premature celebration as well as the aftermath of our win.  Who is the white Dodger with the braids and hair beads?  Just looking at him made me want to...

I wish the camera stayed on him longer at the end, so I could enjoy his salty tears.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Have to ask, I saw him both in the premature celebration as well as the aftermath of our win.  Who is the white Dodger with the braids and hair beads?  Just looking at him made me want to...

I wish the camera stayed on him longer at the end, so I could enjoy his salty tears.

LOL Alex Verdugo.  I think he’s Mexican American, at least he played on the Mexican national team.

Edited by -JB-

What a shame that had to happen on the road where you could hear a pin drop as the ball left the stadium.

How nice would that have been for Kendrick to do with 40 thousand fans deafening the place.

I told my wife that despite not being a nationals fan I'm super happy they won because Redskins fans definitely need something to feel good about. 

I'll unquestionably be pulling for this Cinderella team the rest of the way and I'll bet most of America will be too.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 3