Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I don't think he's stewing, but he is probably a little bit envious. He could have gotten similar money(but in deferred payments)and potentaily be playing in the NLCS.

Of course knowing Harper he'd have struck out in every big spot. Soto has been much more clutch.

Ya Rizzo has got to be smiling about that one

1st year Harper is gone - Nats beat the best team ever to lose a NLDS, and reach the NLCS for the first time. All with some HUGE clutch hits from Harper's replacement. Harper's new team misses the playoffs after being predicted by many to win it all, and gets his manager fired

Major big props for Rizzo. I was definitely wrong

Edited by mammajamma
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Ya Rizzo has got to be smiling about that one

1st year Harper is gone - Nats beat the best team ever to lose a NLDS, and reach the NLCS for the first time. All with some HUGE clutch hits from Harper's replacement. Harper's new team misses the playoffs after being predicted by many to win it all, and gets his manager fired

Major big props for Rizzo. I was definitely wrong

If he wins one, he's easily the best GM this town's seen since Bobby Bethard left town. Only reason I wouldn't put him right up there is because I know George McPhee was GM during the Caps' first Stanley Cup appearance in '98 and helped build those great (though heartbreaking) Capitals teams in the late 2000s and 2010s that eventually won the whole thing.

• Like 1

It's hard as **** to win the World Series. Seven teams out of 30 have never done it and a huge chunk of them have been won by a small handful of teams. If we don't do it this year, I won't be angry with Rizzo or anyone else on the team. They played above my wildest expectations going into this season and shattered the NLDS "curse." My view of this franchise has been permanently altered as a result. 

That said, I think we can win it all at some point like the Caps did and seasons like this one should give the front office all the incentive they need to keep this team together and stay in the hunt. We can't lay down for the Dodgers or Braves when we made it further than either of them this year. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Bacon said:

It's hard as **** to win the World Series. Seven teams out of 30 have never done it and a huge chunk of them have been won by a small handful of teams. If we don't do it this year, I won't be angry with Rizzo or anyone else on the team. They played above my wildest expectations going into this season and shattered the NLDS "curse." My view of this franchise has been permanently altered as a result. 

That said, I think we can win it all at some point like the Caps did and seasons like this one should give the front office all the incentive they need to keep this team together and stay in the hunt. We can't lay down for the Dodgers or Braves when we made it further than either of them this year. 

I think we can beat the Cardinals and make the World Series. Obviously we could win it if we get there, but we'd be significant underdogs to both NYY and the Astros. Moreso than we were to the Dodgers.

16 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

This is obviously a shot at Bruce Allen and his "the Redskins culture is damn good" spiel.

What the Nationals have accomplished is what a team with a "damn good" culture looks like.

Edited by SkinsGuy

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

From the outside looking in, I don't think he was ever really adored.  My perception of the Nats fans with Harper is that...well, we like him because we kinda have to.  He was a high overall pick, he was exciting for a time and you said it yourself, despite his bull****. ...and if he'd come up on a team like the Braves, we'd hate him.  And we're expecting to lose him to the Yankees in a few years, anyway.  I think a lot of people LIKED him but he wasn't adored.  And when he left, I don't think people were as upset about losing him, instead they were more upset that he went to a rival in the division.  Ovechkin...that is adoration.  Whatever this town's feelings were towards Harper, I don't think any of it could be described as adoration.

I think alot of DC soured on Harper when he openly rooted for the Knights against the Caps in 2018.   You could kind of understand it if the Knights had existed when he was growing up in Las Vegas, but they didn't.  They were a first year expansion franchise.  But even they had been around for decades, he probably should have just kept on the QT, if he really wanted to be a franchise player for the Nats.  DC hadn't sniffed a championship in one of the big four sports in 27 years at that point.   You had the whole city pulling for the team, even if they were marginal/or not really hockey fans.  But I think at that point, it was obvious he just didnt care.

It's a seven game series, not five.  I doubt they get cute anymore with the starters as relievers.

It's going to be Sanchez/Scherzer/Stras/Corbin in that order.

Puts our two best in a position to be on the hill, whether we're trying to close it out or our backs are up against the wall.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I am SO glad i decided to go to the watch party. A few of my friends ended up joining me. We had beer after beer, then a bowl when we got home. **** got intense after that 3 run inning. Oh man.....

Capn Crunch or Fruity Pebbles? /sarcasm

• Haha 4