Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Craig Hoffman: Brian Lafemina, three other executives part ways with the Redskins

Boss_Hogg

Folks claim Dan is a skilled advertiser.... I beg to differ. I think he is horrible at almost every aspect.  Don't let parlaying a lowly telemarketing company during the tech bubble skew opinions. Telemarketing is the among the lowest forms of marketing. If not the lowest, and is among the rudest as well. 

His radio stations have had pathetically weak signals.  Signal strength is at the root of being a marketable radio station, and he screwed that up.

The best marketing angle he has is our logo, bu that is among the most despised logos in sports.  If not THE most despised.  Upgrading from the peg light scoreboards was nice, but the game day experience is lacking.  Blaring music is not a plan.

11 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Well, if you became a billionaire with that mindset why would you change it? 

successful people often feel they succeeded because of something unique to them. I doubt Snyder feels he got luck buying a team just before that league blew up, but rather that he picked a great time to buy a team and his ownership helped galvanize the league. Do you think Snyder ever looks in the mirror and says 'I have to change' or does he look in the mirror and say 'I am somehow uniquely special and I'll continue to win because of who I am'?

If you're correctly assessing Snyder, then it begs the question of why did he bring those guys in to begin with? 

16 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

At some point you have to wonder how he earned his money...

Patents. He's the king of owning something and insuring he's the only person who can profit from it. That's how he got out of six flags so wealthy while they actually went bankrupt. This also forced him to have a strong understanding in patent law. This was probably a huge asset for the NFL from 1999 on and is probably why he's still respected among the owners. 

I don't think he's ever built anything, but rather focuses on extracting the maximum amount of revenue from the existing operations. 

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

If you're correctly assessing Snyder, then it begs the question of why did he bring those guys in to begin with? 

Sometimes people hire consultants because they have to. Publicly they have to show an effort, but no material changes will be made.

Let's say that entire executive team that they fired cost a total of $10M for this one season. For that $10M they would have gotten them to sign non-disclosures, so all their work will be owned by the Redskins. They can now spin that the team created the playbook and the remaining executives are implementing it. For $10M that's a fairly reasonable spend to have talking points for every PR based question that will creep up. They have completely shifted blame on someone who no longer has a voice. Think of the below questions:

Why take on the PR storm that comes with Reuben Foster? - We went to great length to bring in external public relations experts and they have advised us this is the right course of action at this time. 

Why not change the team name? - We went to great length to bring in external public relations experts and they have advised us this is the right course of action at this time. 

Why didn't you fire the GM for his lack of on field production? - We went to great length to bring in external public relations experts and they have advised us this is the right course of action at this time. 

Why didn't you refund people for selling expired beer and peanuts? - We went to great length to bring in external public relations experts and they have advised us this is the right course of action at this time. 

It literally works for everything. Was that a good ~$10M spent? Heck yes. Add in that the team was able to market the hirings as how 'serious' they were about the fan experience and it's a great way to pretend something meaningful has happened. Think about the timing. They fired people right after Christmas while the rest of the league is about to push the marketing for the playoff run. Most fans won't know this happened, let alone understand it's impact. 

50 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Hahahahahahaha like anyone wants to come here.  We’re run like a dictatorship. Speak out we hook you to a concrete block and throw you in the river. 

No one will want to stay here for long periods of time, but I can assure you that people will be interested in cashing cheques. I can imagine that Bruce doesn't' really like Snyder that much, but he also realizes that Snyder is Bruce's best chance of make the most amount of money over the next few years. 

After Dan is really feeling the heat that can't be deflected to Bruce he'll fire him. After that they will never speak again, but still both feel like they mutually added to their respect personal net worth while working together. 

19 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Sometimes people hire consultants because they have to. Publicly they have to show an effort, but no material changes will be made.

Let's say that entire executive team that they fired cost a total of $10M for this one season. For that $10M they would have gotten them to sign non-disclosures, so all their work will be owned by the Redskins. They can now spin that the team created the playbook and the remaining executives are implementing it. For $10M that's a fairly reasonable spend to have talking points for every PR based question that will creep up. They have completely shifted blame on someone who no longer has a voice. Think of the below questions:

Why take on the PR storm that comes with Reuben Foster? - We went to great length to bring in external public relations experts and they have advised us this is the right course of action at this time. 

Why not change the team name? - We went to great length to bring in external public relations experts and they have advised us this is the right course of action at this time. 

Why didn't you fire the GM for his lack of on field production? - We went to great length to bring in external public relations experts and they have advised us this is the right course of action at this time. 

Why didn't you refund people for selling expired beer and peanuts? - We went to great length to bring in external public relations experts and they have advised us this is the right course of action at this time. 

It literally works for everything. Was that a good ~$10M spent? Heck yes. Add in that the team was able to market the hirings as how 'serious' they were about the fan experience and it's a great way to pretend something meaningful has happened. Think about the timing. They fired people right after Christmas while the rest of the league is about to push the marketing for the playoff run. Most fans won't know this happened, let alone understand it's impact. 

I'm not so sure...that's a lot of facade to go through for a scapegoat. You could bring in a PR Director and pin the blame on him if that was your true intention. Plus, these guys were in charge of operations and marketing more than the PR angle anyway...

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

So reading through some of the threads and the reporting that Lafemina was going to resign anyway, so Dan/Bruce decided to make the move and get rid of him and the others. A few factors that are being mentioned:

1) Reuben Foster: were a bunch of suite holders going to stop going over this signing? Was Lafemina going to resign over it?  It is something that is hard to believe.

2) Bruce's jealousy: what exactly did Bruce have to be jealous of?  Was Lafemina really getting a whole lot of credit for anything? Attendance from a butts in seats perspective had fallen fairly substantially this year, so one could argue Lafemina's strategy of starving the secondary market was backfiring.

3) Dismal attendance: see #2.  What observations did Lafemina have and recommendations did he make for Dan to take going forward?  Was Dan receptive to them? It doesn't appear so.

I know that with the new TV contracts, Dan probably doesn't care "as much" about butts in seats. But that doesn't mean he doesn't care at all.  The optics of the stadium seating bowl must've really grated on him. The question remains, what are they going to do about it?

So, you find it hard to believe what everyone who knows something has reported, and on one has contradicted?  And yet you chose to freely believe what you make up in your own mind with no evidence....while busy making excuses for Allen and Snyder and pretending the issues with the business are Lafemina's fault after 1-2 months on the job.

Cute.

3 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

So, you find it hard to believe what everyone who knows something has reported, and on one has contradicted?  And yet you chose to freely believe what you make up in your own mind with no evidence....while busy making excuses for Allen and Snyder and pretending the issues with the business are Lafemina's fault after 1-2 months on the job.

Cute.

When did they report it?   I'm seeing LOTS of tweets from the media indicating the media has known a ton for a long time but for some reason has never mentioned it until now?   Do you actually find that interesting?   I will say the Foster signing DID intersect with the business in a way that led to a serious butting of heads.   That did happen.   That's true.   And, to a degree, the question posed to the owner was, "Listen, NO ONE CAN DO THIS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION AND FEEDBACK AGAIN," and the owner saying, "Uh, duder, football side wags the dog, business doesn't."

Now, you may or may not agree with that perspective.   But that's what happened.   And the business team made a power play then prepped to resign after this weekend's game and Snyder discovered it and fired them first.   It's not really even that big a story.   I personally tend to think the football side should run the business, and not vice versa.   I LOVE the football side of the Foster signing.   It's a ZERO football risk move with high reward potential.   Yes, I can see corporate sponsors hating it as they get blow back from the outrage society.   And it is not an illegitimate point to say that business should dictate the moves you make.   I won't piss on your head if you think that.

Or if you agree with me.   But this is not even that interesting a story.

Our core problem as an organization is WE SUCK.   Yes, if Smith is healthy we probably are in the playoffs and probably the division winner.   And we all saw how Smith played.   A playoff team that has absolutely no chance of actually winning everything playing that way is not all that fun and exciting.   So even if Smith comes back healthy, we LIKELY get to see the same plodding style and zoom to 9-7 or even 10-6 and still not be a threat.   And if Smith's injury is really bad, we're basically destroyed for two years and PRAYING to find a young QB coming out of it who saves the franchise while dealing with the bickers of who should start between Colt and Josh.

In the best case our near term is scary boring and in the worst case it's an epic disaster.   The rest is noise as we already know this.

And, sure, maybe we fire everyone, hire Cowher/Saban/Dungy/SOMEONE ANYONE WILL THINK IS GOOD, Smith will be fine and we'll add a couple pieces of depth and not be injured as much and maybe I'm wrong.   But our core problem is this team exists into the near future with almost no visible way to improve with the current way we operate.

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not so sure...that's a lot of facade to go through for a scapegoat. You could bring in a PR Director and pin the blame on him if that was your true intention. Plus, these guys were in charge of operations and marketing more than the PR angle anyway...

Maybe. I think they realized there was a problem and had 3 options: 

1 - Do nothing - This would put Snyder/Allen directly in the crosshairs of all frustration and if the problem grows it can (further) impact profitability. 

2 - Actually change the culture - By this I mean become very transparent and ultimately open themselves up to the fan base to show that they care.

3 - Hire someone to 'fix' everything - Hire people with big titles, provide them decision making authority and assign all of the problem areas to them. If things work, great. If not, exit the idea at a good time (like just after Christmas) and spin the successes. 

IMO they choose #3. It's the easiest and provides some lucrative PR ways to move forward without materially changing anything. 

Whoa...Art! 

Just now, Unbias said:

Maybe. I think they realized there was a problem and had 3 options: 

1 - Do nothing - This would put Snyder/Allen directly in the crosshairs of all frustration and if the problem grows it can (further) impact profitability. 

2 - Actually change the culture - By this I mean become very transparent and ultimately open themselves up to the fan base to show that they care.

3 - Hire someone to 'fix' everything - Hire people with big titles, provide them decision making authority and assign all of the problem areas to them. If things work, great. If not, exit the idea at a good time (like just after Christmas) and spin the successes. 

IMO they choose #3. It's the easiest and provides some lucrative PR ways to move forward without materially changing anything. 

I'm not disagreeing with most of this...I just think there are much easier ways to accomplish #3 if they never had any intention of doing it. 

14 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Cute.

"Making excuses for Allen and Snyder." Geez, people are touchy these days.

I did nothing of the sort.......god, people on the site interpret what they want to read. In my mind, its pathetic that the Reuben Foster signing led to this, which, if Art insinutes, actually might have led to the resignations/firings.

The bottom line for me is that FedEx was a complete crap show for people who sat anywhere besides the lower level........that is fact.  I think Lafemina was even surprised that his strategy led to a manifestation of even more apathy when it came to game-day attendance.  And I have no idea what he recommended to Dan, or how receptive Dan was, or whether there will be any changes of strategy going forward.  I just don't think the current one is sustainable.

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Whoa...Art! 

I'm not disagreeing with most of this...I just think there are much easier ways to accomplish #3 if they never had any intention of doing it. 

I think your point is fair. They probably didn't choose #3 because they refused to change, but rather when forced to make the hard decision of change-or-not they opted to cut bait and go back to what they were used too. 

Who knows what the final proposed changes looked like. What if this marketing/operational team in a round-about way recommended that Dan change the name, self build a stadium and ultimately sell the team? A massively ballsy move, but also something that will give them their walking papers pretty quickly. 

As it stands the Redskins hold all the information and can spin this however they choose. The timing of the moves and the fact that they are not leading with any reports suggests they want these moves to be swept under the rug. Next time they discuss these moves will be when new marketing/PR/operational executives are hired, which I'm sure they will look to 'build off the momentum' of the previous team. 

23 minutes ago, Art said:

And, sure, maybe we fire everyone, hire Cowher/Saban/Dungy/SOMEONE ANYONE WILL THINK IS GOOD, Smith will be fine and we'll add a couple pieces of depth and not be injured as much and maybe I'm wrong.   But our core problem is this team exists into the near future with almost no visible way to improve with the current way we operate.

Bring back, Karl!

Bring back, Karl!

<Pounds table>

Bring back, Karl!

Bring back, Karl!

<Stands on table>

Bring back, Karl!

Bring back, Karl!

<Starts jumping on table and smashing plates>

Bring back, Karl!

Bring back, Karl!

<Shot by guard>

Does anyone else feel like the big draw to being a Redskins fan these days is the drama? Like, reality TV ****? I dont enjoy the product on field as much anymore. Even when it is good, I know it has a short shelf life with this mess of a FO. So the only draw for me these days is the name/ history and the drama. All the "oh no they di' ant" **** they pull is part of it now. For me at least. 

Past that - there has to be a guy or gal or group of guys and gals that would buy the Redskins from Snyder for so much its worth it to him. There has to be someone. All this money out here in DC and you mean to tell me NO ONE wants to run this **** - or thinks they can? I dont even need someone who I think can do better cause its not really possible to do worse. And I think we have the internet horses on this forum to identify someone and possibly talk them into it. Its really our only shot and if it doesnt work - well i mean we are Redskins fans nothing ever works lol

19 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Bring back, Karl!

Bring back, Karl!

<Pounds table>

Bring back, Karl!

Bring back, Karl!

<Stands on table>

Bring back, Karl!

Bring back, Karl!

<Starts jumping on table and smashing plates>

Bring back, Karl!

Bring back, Karl!

<Shot by guard>

Who?

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Chick is hit and miss with his sources so I don't take him ultra serious.  But I presume that means Gibbs.   Even Dan isn't stupid enough to bring back Vinny.  So who else?  And I wouldn't hate it if he's purely coming to find a next GM, etc.  But on the chance he's coming back in a role (and I am skeptical of Chick as a source) I bet he's just giving some nominal title and a voice with Bruce running the ship still. 

As much as Gibbs personifies class and leadership -- I fundamentally disagree with him on personnel issues where he's a veteran over a rookie dude -- FA over the draft. 

I'll bet the familiar name Chick is hinting at is Todd Bowles as the new DC.

Gives the appearance  of making improvements without having to actually change anyone in the front office.

Dan goes back to the nostalgia well one more time with a former player who knows about the glory days of the franchise and is happy to have a rebound job

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Gregg Williams is coming back, kids. And he's taking ALL the money.

Oh, you sweet summer child.

I love Karl, but he's too happy being retired drinking his wine :).   Now, Gregg Williams, being my first man-crush, would please me to the end of days.   I hope you're right :).

4 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Predicting Louis Riddick as new GM.  Checks all the boxes. 

Are people here actually backing Riddick?   Do people here understand he's LESS qualified in EVERY SINGLE WAY than, say, Vinny Cerrato, did not do a great job for the Redskins while here, unless banging media relations folks counts, and while one cool ass dude would be the worst possible GM in football?   Louis is a cool guy, but he does not work hard and showed no great insights ANYWHERE in the league he's been.

Just now, Art said:

Are people here actually backing Riddick?   Do people here understand he's LESS qualified in EVERY SINGLE WAY than, say, Vinny Cerrato, did not do a great job for the Redskins while here, unless banging media relations folks counts, and while one cool ass dude would be the worst possible GM in football?   Louis is a cool guy, but he does not work hard and showed no great insights ANYWHERE in the league he's been.

I’m not backing him ... just predicting it based on Snyder’s history. 

18 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Does anyone else feel like the big draw to being a Redskins fan these days is the drama? Like, reality TV ****? I dont enjoy the product on field as much anymore. Even when it is good, I know it has a short shelf life with this mess of a FO. So the only draw for me these days is the name/ history and the drama. All the "oh no they di' ant" **** they pull is part of it now. For me at least.

Kind of. I mean, this team has made me so apathetic, but I do use the great memories from earlier in my fanhood as motivation to watch every single game, whether its several per season at FedEx or every one on the road on TV.  The stuff with monitoring how the apathy has impacted attendance and TV ratings is just fascinating to me. And I think part of it to is not unique to the Skins, but that the league in general has changed in the past decade or so. Now you wait practically every play in suspense to see what flag is going to negate the great play you just watched.

But for the Skins in general, I think we're just sick of the mediocrity. I don't expect a return to the glory years. I certainly don't expect anything like the Pats have done the past two decades. Not even expect what the Packers or Steelers have done.

Just give me something. Maybe 3-4 seasons where you are a solid playoff team. Anything for hope.

Archived