Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So basically, Turnip is going to re-appropriate funds from the military to build his wall now?  And all the right wing, flag waving, super patriots are all behind this?

Jesus people are so dumb.

this is what concerns me most about the country moving forward

stupid doesn't seem to be fading, more people are embracing their stupidity and choosing to die on that hill

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

this is what concerns me most about the country moving forward

stupid doesn't seem to be fading, more people are embracing their stupidity and choosing to die on that hill

Somewhere along the line, people lost interest in truth and became only interested in being right.  They don't like to admit that there's a possibility they could be wrong.  Also, compromise became something that was bad, when all along this whole democracy thing relied on compromise.

Like, they're literally going to be diverting money away from the troops to buy up land from imminent domain.

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Somewhere along the line, people lost interest in truth and became only interested in being right.  They don't like to admit that there's a possibility they could be wrong.  Also, compromise became something that was bad, when all along this whole democracy thing relied on compromise.

Like, they're literally going to be diverting money away from the troops to buy up land from imminent domain.

But the generals think it's awesome and don't need the money! Trump said so at his presser!

31 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Meanwhile the buildings on the base I work at are mostly WW2 era.  I won't say anything about their condition because, ya know, if you don't have anything nice to say........

As a vet, how does the fact that he’s diverting money from you to build a wall.

Ill hang up and listen.

• Haha 1

I tend to think plain reading of the military construction provision of the National Emergencies Act allows tapping into the 3.6 billion for military construction (obviously I don't think this is a good idea).  SCOTUS could rely on the reasoning in Jackson's concurrence in Youngstown and distinguish based recent Congressional rejection of additional funding, but that's somewhat of a dubious ground in light of express language of the Emergencies Act.

That Trump is tapping into military funding to push up the wall budget to 8 billion is a little baffling to me.  Why not just use the 4.4 billion and declare victory?

12 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I tend to think plain reading of the military construction provision of the National Emergencies Act allows tapping into the 3.6 billion for military construction (obviously I don't think this is a good idea).  SCOTUS could rely on the reasoning in Jackson's concurrence in Youngstown and distinguish based recent Congressional rejection of additional funding, but that's somewhat of a dubious ground in light of express language of the Emergencies Act.

That Trump is tapping into military funding to push up the wall budget to 8 billion is a little baffling to me.  Why not just use the 4.4 billion and declare victory?

He "didn't need to do this". He "wanted to". He's a petulant child, that has been apparent for a long time now but was glaringly true at his announcement of the "national emergency" yesterday. He is incapable of relying on strategic thinking alone. His id rules.

I wonder who is advising Trump on his messaging about the wall because it sounds oddly familiar to the bait & switch Bush tried to do with The War On Terror morphing into the need to go to war in Iraq.   

The issue at hand is border security, but no one is discussing the merits of actual border security, it has turned into You are either for the wall or for open borders, just like The War on Terror got reduced to "We have to go to war with Iraq....and if you disagree you are a terrorist sympathizer"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

Well look, it’s not a black and white issue. On one hand you have the conservative tenants of a strong military and respect for private property and on the other, the longstanding Republican principal of fealty to Donald Trump. It’s tough when they’re at odds. Takes almost 5 whole minutes for them to all bend over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Well look, it’s not a black and white issue. On one hand you have the conservative tenants of a strong military and respect for private property and on the other, the longstanding Republican principal of fealty to Donald Trump. It’s tough when they’re at odds. Takes almost 5 whole minutes for them to all bend over.

You win sir, have all the lols

If Trump prevails in the courts it's basically a blank check for future presidents to do damn well whatever they please. NEA needs to be re-written to define "emergency" and they might want to take a look at the powers given considering the supposition that it would be used in good faith is pretty suspect at this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bang said:

Anyone got a buck they want to bet on whether or not this is a test on "the election's possible compromise is a national emergency, and I will remain president until this emergency is concluded." ?

~Bang

I'm actually surprised they didn't try this fast shuffle with the midterms.....

Nah, can't really declare yourself president for life because of a contrived emergency two years prior...  and i think they thought they'd cruise in the mid-terms. Other than the hubris that always surrounds them, typically mid-terms are their crowd.

But 2020..  i expect it.

~Bang

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bang said:

Nah, can't really declare yourself president for life because of a contrived emergency two years prior...  and i think they thought they'd cruise in the mid-terms. Other than the hubris that always surrounds them, typically mid-terms are their crowd.

But 2020..  i expect it.

~Bang

Which is why IMO, just like when you feel like the refs are calling a game against you, we all have to mobilize and vote in such overwhelming majorities that there's no way they can get away with it.

I genuinely think that next year might be the most important and meaningful election held in my lifetime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bang said:

But 2020..  i expect it.

~Bang

You would need the backing of the military and the vast majority of the state based election officials to actually pull that off... the military seems unimpressed by this declaration of emergency, with the secretary of defense basically saying “we haven’t even considered it, eg it’s not a priority for us” I don’t see trump having that kind of support...

• Like 1

On January 7, 2019 at 10:28 PM, Larry said:

Announce that the US is creating a new Army base.  Fort Trump will be 1000 feet wide by 2000 miles long, and will be used for training our troops for roles in providing security missions in differing terrains/environments.  

Just saying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You would need the backing of the military and the vast majority of the state based election officials to actually pull that off... the military seems unimpressed by this declaration of emergency, with the secretary of defense basically saying “we haven’t even considered it, eg it’s not a priority for us” I don’t see trump having that kind of support...

Well, i do keep saying i hope the military stands with us when the time comes.. and I also would not put it past Trump believing that he'd have near universal backing for such a move.

~Bang