Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Terminate Manusky

SavetheSkins

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I agree. Not necessary addressed to you: Someone remind me again how that's on the DC? That is directly on the GM that's not a GM. 

Also, people piling on Jay about the DCs that have been here - how many do you think he really picked? You all know we do not have a traditional FO yet you place blame as if it were. 

No need to fire any coaches right now. Get rid of Bruce and hire a real GM. Let them audition the guys here. Then they can keep or fire who they want. Maybe even fire a few guys but let them interview for their old jobs back. Typically odd but happens in the NFL a lot. 

I agree with almost everything you said but the last part. Well, maybe I agree with it, but just don't see it happening. Since Snyder has owned the team here's what he's done with the GM/VP of football operations role:

• Charley Casserly - 1989-1999 - General Manager  -  Respected football mind who was let go shortly after Snyder got the team. This is typical for new owners to have their own guys in important roles. 
  • Vinny Cerrato -  2000-2009    Director of Player Personnel, Executive VP of Player Personnel/Football Operations - Vinny was terrible for almost all of 9 years. His best offseasons where when he pathetically reached for players far past their prime. 
  • Marty Schottenheimer - 2001 - 2001 - Head Coach/de facto General Manager  - Just a space filler when Vinny was fired. 
  • Joe Mendes - 2002 - 2002 - VP of Football Operations - Who? Almost forgot him. He's been a scout and is now a player agent. Very forgettable with it comes to what this team built. 
  • Bruce Allen - 2010 - current - Executive VP/General Manager, President/General Manager, President - He's more qualified than Vinny or Mendes and has taken a lot of pressure off of Snyder. In my personal opinion he does a great job at taking a brunt of the PR backlash for what what the Redskins do, which in Dan Snyder's eyes has to be an asset.    
  • Scot McCloughan - 2015 - 2016 - General Manager - Many respected him as a football mind and scout. He was publicly shamed for being a drunk and it appears his lawsuit for defamation has been dropped/settled. 

I mentioned this in another thread, but what faith do you have in Snyder picking a better person for the job? I'm not saying Allen is good or even average, but he stuck with Vinny for 9 years. I know many have hope, but I truly feel if Dan was picking a new GM he'd probably grab a guy who under-qualified for the role and be very slow to move from that person. 

Here's the thing with Allen - He hasn't built a champion, but he's been around them (Tampa) and has made things better in both Oakland, Tampa (after a step back) and I'd argue he's made Washington better in stints. I don't know if he's worse than whomever Snyder would hire. If people feel 'anything has to be better than Bruce Allen', then we have to move on. If we are objectively looking at his resume vs. the field then I still think after two injury filled seasons we don't know what he can offer. 

I wouldn't disagree with either keeping him or moving on. I also think this team is so screwed at QB it might not matter who the GM is, so mind as well let Allen get all the blood on his hands for the 2019 season. 

The defense was pretty good up until the Atlanta game. Everything changed after that game and has been getting worse since. Atlanta seemed like the first offense to test the linebackers ability to seal the edges on rushes, and the D failed. It started with that and spread to the entire defense.  Now it seems there is nothing they can do right besides the occasional turnover.  

Unbias, your post about Bruce has more of an apologist vs. unbiased tone.  I will have to go back and research all the debacles during Bruce's tenure that have his fingerprints all over the pickle jar.  Here's a few:

• Current handling of Reuben Foster signing.  Too gutless to make a public statement as Team President.  Throwing Doug and Jay under the bus to defend/explain the signing.
  • Handling of the "Kurt" Cousins contract fiasco.  Need I say more?
  • Propensity to take chances on players with injury histories to get them on the cheap.  some have panned out (Jonathan Allen), but we wonder why we have so many injured starters the last few years? Smith and McCoy injuries unavoidable.
  • Team record since Bruce's tenure roughly 40%.  Do you think this is acceptable even with Snyder as the team owner?

I think most on this forum agree the crumbling of this once great franchise rests at the feet of Six Flags Danny.  So since we all realize it's not going to get better until Snyder sells the team, or reduces his ownership to a minority stake, why don't we all just pack it in and start rooting for the Ravens?

I've been a Skins fan for 50 years, since I was 5 years old.  Like Dandy Don Meredith used to sing on MNF, turn out the lights, the party's over.  Let's all stop the madness, and quit lining the pockets of the current THE WORST OWNER IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS.  I'm hanging on by my fingertips hoping things will change, but at some point, why support a team that won't even attempt to earn the respect of their fan base?

10 minutes ago, SavetheSkins said:

Unbias, your post about Bruce has more of an apologist vs. unbiased tone.  I will have to go back and research all the debacles during Bruce's tenure that have his fingerprints all over the pickle jar.  Here's a few:

• Current handling of Reuben Foster signing.  Too gutless to make a public statement as Team President.  Throwing Doug and Jay under the bus to defend/explain the signing.
  • Handling of the "Kurt" Cousins contract fiasco.  Need I say more?
  • Propensity to take chances on players with injury histories to get them on the cheap.  some have panned out (Jonathan Allen), but we wonder why we have so many injured starters the last few years? Smith and McCoy injuries unavoidable.
  • Team record since Bruce's tenure roughly 40%.  Do you think this is acceptable even with Snyder as the team owner?

I think most on this forum agree the crumbling of this once great franchise rests at the feet of Six Flags Danny.  So since we all realize it's not going to get better until Snyder sells the team, or reduces his ownership to a minority stake, why don't we all just pack it in and start rooting for the Ravens?

I've been a Skins fan for 50 years, since I was 5 years old.  Like Dandy Don Meredith used to sing on MNF, turn out the lights, the party's over.  Let's all stop the madness, and quit lining the pockets of the current THE WORST OWNER IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS.  I'm hanging on by my fingertips hoping things will change, but at some point, why support a team that won't even attempt to earn the respect of their fan base?

Come on double nickles!

Not the Ravens!

But you make some valid points. But I wouldn't place Bruce in the center. This team has been in a daze well before Allen got here. He definitely didn't improve the fan experience. But he probably made the Redskins' brass a lot of money (winning off the field).

I have not doubt this team will continue its mediocrity. But then again, I believe in Karma or whatever you want to name "what goes around, comes around". Too much **** under their fingers with no plans (in sight) of washing their hands.

I'm with you on considering a break up. Just not sure about them scrubs of the north.

I'm beginning to see good football from the Bears. My favorite player of all-time is Walter Payton, so maybe.....(??). Plus they have a first year coach doing great things with a young QB. Wow!!! What a concept.

23 hours ago, Unbias said:

When was the last time we had a good Defensive Coordinator? Was it Greg Williams between 2004 - 2007?

Since then we've had Greg Blache (2 seasons), Jim Haslett (5 seasons), Joe Barry (2 seasons) and now Greg Manusky (in his 2nd season). Interesting side note, after being the Washington DC neither Blache, Haslett or Barry was able to secure a job in the NFL. 

You mean as DCs, right?  Because Barry and Haslett at least are coaching linebackers for the Rams and Bengals, respectively.  Not sure about Blanche (and no inclination to look him up :)).  

Gotta say, I’m torn about our DCs.  I’m willing to go with the herd that they just suck, but I have to question the talent they’ve had to work with.  Never really questioned this too much until the past two years.  Under Manusky last year, our pass rush was very good and our secondary (for the most part) was good as well... yet we sucked vs the run.  This year, with lesser corners, suddenly our pass rush isn’t as good and our secondary a sieve.  Our ability to stop the runs up the middle improved greatly this year (hello Payne and healthy Johnathan Allen), but teams are avoiding the middle more often and we’re getting gashed again.  

Under Barry, teams had a lot of success running just inside and outside their tackles and I recall a lot of debates about him assigning ILBs to cover those gaps and/or set the edge.  

I look at Dallas with their backers (now that they have more than just Lee, and a very capable backup for him), and they’re playing great run D.  Felt like Leonard was all over us when we played the Colts.  Aside from a great play here or there, our backers seem to often make tackles (and they collect a lot of them, partially due to offenses picking on them with dump offs to their backs) 5, 6, or more yards down the field.  

I’m not giving a pass to the DCs, I just have to wonder if key personnel deficiencies are like having a hand tied behind their backs.  We’ve praised Tomsula and Gray often enough (when their players/units have excelled), but what about our linebacker’s coach(es)?  And did Gray forget how to coach this year, or did his unit’s talent just take a big dip?

Now, one other point here is if Foster and Brown are holding the D back (along with problems/youth at corner), why haven’t they been benched?  I myself have called for this.  However, hearing Keim say the team views SDH as backup quality, and knowing JHC is 1) still learning the position, 2) is probably undersized and 3) hasn’t flashed much, I’m not sure how much I blame them for not replacing the starters.  Vigil is another option of course, though he reminds me of Will Compton.  The defense was doing some good things and the team was atop the division, even if cracks were showing.  My hope is that they try something new (maybe SDH is better under the lights), but I’m not sure we’ll see improvement if they go that route.  At this point though, or maybe if/when we lose to the Giants, we better see a change.  

Let’s remember that the team shut down Barkley last time (as well as other talented backs).  If Barkley has a good game, much like Elliot did in the second matchup, perhaps it’s not that Manusky can’t coach,  but rather teams have figured out how to exploit our weaknesses.  Perhaps he’s in a bind because he knows he has to counter, but his options are limited - mostly owing to young/raw corners and ILBs that are consistently taken advantage of.  Or maybe he just doesn’t understand how to adjust.  I don’t know honestly.  

One last thing.  The bend/don’t break defense.  I’m not a fan.  However, we saw how it meshed with the offense (the Tampa game was the most extreme and outrageous example).  I’m curious if/how things would have changed with McCoy at the helm. Ditto with Sanchez back there.  

Don't make another Sean McVay mistake, with the defense.

This is the perfect timing to promote from within.

Analysts say it didn't make football sense to fire Gruden to promote McVay, at that particular time.

However firing Manusky after the season could be justified, in order to promote either Gray or Tomsula.

Because, like McVay, if we don't promote them, somebody else probably will (at least one of them)

Terminate Manusky? Har de har har har. Not until Snyder and Allen terminate themselves does it make a flea's backside of a difference who the 'Skins have on their roster or coaching staff. By the way, injuries are no accident. This continual rash of injuries and excuse city is a direct reflection on the type of personnel even willing to be in the Redskins organization. Ryan Kerrigan flexing his less than impressive biceps after one of his infrequent sacks is all you need to know about the attitude of the whole team." Hey I get paid millions of dollars to play defense on a football team and I made an actual tackle. (Big whoop) By the way, what's the score"?

20 hours ago, Smurf3 said:

Terminate Manusky? Har de har har har. Not until Snyder and Allen terminate themselves does it make a flea's backside of a difference who the 'Skins have on their roster or coaching staff. By the way, injuries are no accident. This continual rash of injuries and excuse city is a direct reflection on the type of personnel even willing to be in the Redskins organization. Ryan Kerrigan flexing his less than impressive biceps after one of his infrequent sacks is all you need to know about the attitude of the whole team." Hey I get paid millions of dollars to play defense on a football team and I made an actual tackle. (Big whoop) By the way, what's the score"?

See, this just isn’t true at all.  It passes the buck on players and coaches who are here by just blaming Bruce and Dan for everything.

I gaurerntee Bruce and Dan are not telling Manusky to have unimaginative blitz schemes and play soft zone behind them, which is essentially death.

theyre not telling Haha to run away from an oncoming ball carrier.

Theyre not telling Jay to run the stupidest run play which has no effect on play action.

Are they part of the problem? Yes. 

But players and coaches need to do their jobs to the best of their ability also.

And right now, Manusky and Jay have been out schemed for weeks.  And don’t give me the whole injury excuse.  Injuries don’t excuse stupid.  And the defense has been fairly healthy.

What happened is that offenses figured out what the Redskins defense is doing because it’s a bland and ooorly coordinated scheme, and figured out how to attack it.  Manusky has had since the Falcons game to adjust, and he hasn’t really even tried.

Manusky should never have been hired. But Jay Gruden is allergic to quality DCS he doesn’t know.

Manusky is a very “meh” DC.  Which fits for a very “meh” HC.

This team is consistently out-schemed on both sides of the ball.  

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And right now, Manusky and Jay have been out schemed for weeks.  And don’t give me the whole injury excuse.  Injuries don’t excuse stupid.  And the defense has been fairly healthy.

What happened is that offenses figured out what the Redskins defense is doing because it’s a bland and ooorly coordinated scheme, and figured out how to attack it.  Manusky has had since the Falcons game to adjust, and he hasn’t really even tried.

Manusky should never have been hired. But Jay Gruden is allergic to quality DCS he doesn’t know.

Manusky is a very “meh” DC.  Which fits for a very “meh” HC.

This team is consistently out-schemed on both sides of the ball.  

Amen to this!! Boy Wonder's departure, immediate turnaround of Goff and that moribund Rams offense is rather telling about where the real ingenuity was to be found on that coaching staff. Gruden is exposed for what he is -- a guy who can design plays, but has no clue when to use them and how to scheme an attack against other teams' glaring weaknesses; or how to adjust. You're absolutely right about Manusky. The league figured him out, and now it's just cruise control to a painful end unless dude wakes up. In the red zone, the D is strong. From 20-to-20 we stink.

On 12/6/2018 at 8:14 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Grumbling about extra practice, after their recent performances ?

There are some guys on this team who really dont care about being prepared..what a culture Gruden has created. If I was a coach on this team it wouldnt be a pep talk but a dressing down to any player complaining after looking like crap! As a fan I would really like to know who the idiot is complaining about trying to prepare.

On 12/6/2018 at 8:14 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Grumbling about extra practice, after their recent performances ?

The fact that being prepared or practicing leads to grumbling is a sign of the culture of the team.  

After 5 years, if your players grumble because of an extra practice, it means you’re not practicing enough.

Camp Jay is what this is all about.

He has no idea how to prepare a team. None.  He’s a moderately good play designer, and that’s absolutely the height of his competence.

It isn’t really surprising the team is allergic to work.  Gruden has instilled this lossey-goosey culture, hoping his scheme can overcome attention to detail. 

I’ve been saying this about Manusky even when we were 6-3.  You could see his inability to make adjustments in the Indy game, when they were repeatedly running picks.  Someone mentioned disconnect between secondary and front 7, spot on.  Poor communication in general on defense.  How many times have we seen a DB leave a receiver to nobody?  Blitzes aren’t disguised.  Rarely ever do they correctly anticipate an offense’s 3rd down play.  I can go on and on.

He is an unmitigated disaster.  

32 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Manusky's scheme is so damn bland ,no creativity at all..How this guy still has a job is mind boggling.

He had no business getting the job really.  I remember when he got the job, it was the most "meh" hiring they coulda made, especially coming off the Joe Barry era.  

39 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

What was the reason for not starting Matt Ioannidis?  He's got almost as many sacks as Kerrigan and pressure up the middle is imperative.  I don't understand.  And yes Manusky is probably on his way out.

Same reason for everything this year: injury. 

Players whining about extra practice, and I watch at least 3 balls that bounced off of the CBs today, and every one of them hit that defender right between the numbers. Hell I could have caught those!

I said it before, the defense looks like they're getting paid per turnover, that's why they keep trying to strip the ball instead of tackling. That tackling performance should be in the video rule book of how NOT to play defense.

Archived