Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Terminate Manusky

SavetheSkins

They should hire me. My playbook is limited, but all the calls are perfect.

1) Sack the damn quarterback.

2) Three and out.

3) Strip the ball. Get the fumble.

4. Pick that ball off and take it to the house.

I would just call those four plays. Everything else is just details.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Jim Haslett, Joe Barry, and Greg Munusky. ugh 

The exact opposite of the Three Wise Men. And they have brought unto us the gifts of arm tackles, record-setting passing days for opposing QBs, and rushing lanes wider than Haslett's forehead. 

Merry Christmas, Jesus! Hope you like crap!

Yeah, I never understood why we though his pedigree of 2 decent years out of 10 meant he would have success here.

Our last 3 DC hires were absolute train wrecks, and train wrecks that 95% of fans saw coming.  It boggles my mind how difficult it has been for the Redskins FO to just do basic due diligence and look up someones past....at least beyond "Did they work for the Florida Tuskers?".

And thats also the big reason Gruden should have been fired years ago, and has to be, no matter what happens.  Because even if you were to argue hes a good offensive coach(which I terribly disagree with), as a head coach he sinks his teams by hiring horrible assistant coaches.  He has really poor judgement, and when someone decides he wants to employ the likes of Haslett and Barry, you cant have him running your team.

11 hours ago, Burgold said:

2) Three and out.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I totally agree that Jay has hired terrible DCs and it's not like we didn't see it at the time of the hire. This defense should be so much better and that falls on the DC. 

Yes but if the hc doesnt fire the dc and keeps ststus quo over and over....its on the hc. Like bruh...how many times have you, myself, and everybody else witness mason foster get eviscerated in coverage....slow to fill a gap, take a poor angle, whiff a tackle, etc yet play 98% of the snaps. How many times have you seen a 3rd down stop get nullified due to a cb trying to strip the ball when its 1 on 1. And how many times have you seen jay Gruden do anything or say anything about it or even just look visibly pissed off and snap? 

1 minute ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Yes but if the hc doesnt fire the dc and keeps ststus quo over and over....its on the hc. Like bruh...how many times have you, myself, and everybody else witness mason foster get eviscerated in coverage....slow to fill a gap, take a poor angle, whiff a tackle, etc yet play 98% of the snaps. How many times have you seen a 3rd down stop get nullified due to a cb trying to strip the ball when its 1 on 1. And how many times have you seen jay Gruden do anything or say anything about it or even just look visibly pissed off and snap? 

Oh no doubt it's on the HC and I want him gone too.  

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Oh no doubt it's on the HC and I want him gone too.  

Even the offense hasnt had any of those 

...wow moments where we are unstoppable. Last time i felt that was rookie rg3. I remember trent dilfer gushing about our offense saying it was gonna be super hard to stop. Cousins to a  degree but i was always scared he would turn it over. Jay gruden has alwYs been a mediocre OC...even in Cincinnati. The painful thing is...mcvay gonna be  rams head coach for a lonnnng time...while were still gonna trot out different names every few years. Ask me how i know, i dare someone.

Manusky started really well. I think he's similar to Gruden in that he's a good coach who's not great at masking deficiencies. He's developed a solid plan A, an okay plan B, but if you need to go to C, D, E, or Q he's lost.

What's annoying is Vic Fangio fell into our laps. His ouster from the Broncos came at a point where we were basically the only suitor in town, but Gruden was so locked in on Joe Barry that he had to be forced into even giving him a faux interview. Likewise, Wade Phillips was supposedly very interested in coming here once upon a time. 

I have always suspected that Gruden was wary of hiring a coach better than he was. He didn't want to hire his successor or the guy he could be kicked out for. That said, Gruden has hired really strong position coaches. How does he identify top Oline guys, Dline guys, and even his DB guys have done really well (though this year seems an exception, but Gray developed a whole lot of players who played beyond expectation.)

I'm less willing to praise or insult him right now, but i will point out some things that are characteristic of Gruden and Manusky. First, stuff like not noticing that Dunbar was hurt against Dallas. That's less of an in game adjustment, but just not noticing crappy play. The same could be said earlier with stuff like playing Kelley over whoever, Grant over Harris and other stuff. 

But i also look at the Philly game and wonder why SDH isn't playing more, why JHC isn't playing more, and in fact has had his playing time decrease. It's obvious that our ilbs are not good sideline to sideline, whereas JHC is a good cover lb, so be could help us with our passing game defensive woes. 

In previous years, he had rotations, but now it seems like he's afraid to play players. I was encouraged to see Settle  get playing time but not much. 

I think a lot of this is about matchups and we're not even trying to create mismatches. We're just going manoamano and losing repeatedly. 

Is it that hard to find a good strategist who can utilize our players in productive roles? 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

. That said, Gruden has hired really strong position coaches. How does he identify top Oline guys, Dline guys, and even his DB guys have done really well (though this year seems an exception, but Gray developed a whole lot of players who played beyond expectation.)

I keep seeing people talking up Gray, why? Who are these players he coached to play beyond expectation? Are you referring to Dunbar? I just don’t see it with him but he seems to get more praise than any assistant on our staff. Is it because of interviews from D hall, K Fuller and Stroman who heap praise on him because he is from VT? 

2 hours ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

I keep seeing people talking up Gray, why? Who are these players he coached to play beyond expectation? Are you referring to Dunbar? I just don’t see it with him but he seems to get more praise than any assistant on our staff. Is it because of interviews from D hall, K Fuller and Stroman who heap praise on him because he is from VT? 

Nicholson and Fuller are the obvious first examples. Nicholson had a heck of a rookie year and Fuller made a huge jump under Gray's tutelage. 

When was the last time we had a good Defensive Coordinator? Was it Greg Williams between 2004 - 2007?

Since then we've had Greg Blache (2 seasons), Jim Haslett (5 seasons), Joe Barry (2 seasons) and now Greg Manusky (in his 2nd season). Interesting side note, after being the Washington DC neither Blache, Haslett or Barry was able to secure a job in the NFL. 

Manusky should have been fired on Monday morning. The nature of the NFL teams is to fire someone after a debacle like the Eagles game.  But Washington is an anomaly - no is accountable from top to bottom.- and no one is held accountable. The organizaton is a shambles through and through BUT it makes a ton of money win, lose, or draw.  And that what this team is to Snyder!

1 minute ago, celticsalmon said:

Manusky should have been fired on Monday morning. The nature of the NFL teams is to fire someone after a debacle like the Eagles game.  But Washington is an anomaly - no is accountable from top to bottom.- and no one is held accountable. The organizaton is a shambles through and through BUT it makes a ton of money win, lose, or draw.  And that what this team is to Snyder!

I don't know. How does a defensive coordinator call plays when he knows the offense will give him nothing? Does he go ultra conservative or does he go over aggressive? Whichever he chooses how does he know it's right?

I've done some thinking since the loss. We love Allen and Payne and we are somewhat confused as to how they were dominated last week. The truth is that their performance doesn't happen in a vacuum. Last year the Eagles won a Superbowl largely off their offensive line's ability to dominate. Is it reasonable that Peters (future HOFer), Brooks (Probowler), Kelce (Probowler), Seumalo (who?) and Johnson (All Pro) were just better than Kerrigan, Payne, Allen and Smith this past Sunday? It might not be less about scheme, but more around that we came across a good group peaking at just the wrong time for us? 

I'm not a fan of Manusky, but I'm also not a fan of snap decision firings. Last weeks game was horrible for many reasons and I find it hard to pin it on the D alone. 

17 hours ago, Burgold said:

2) Three and out.

If I may add one more. Perhaps it might even be considered an edit to #3.

Call the play where we tackle the guy with the ball before he scores.  T A C K L E ! W R A P U P !

18 hours ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, relying on a seventh round rookie and a udfa rookie to fill major roles can't be that great. It's possible that Danny Johnson and Stroman turn into contributors and even that they aren't playing terribly given who they are, but this is another example of why you don't get of Breeland and Fuller in one offseason. Why you don't get rid of Garcon and Jackson in one offseason.

The Redskins have developed a habit of taking their strengths for granted and it backfiring badly.

I agree. Not necessary addressed to you: Someone remind me again how that's on the DC? That is directly on the GM that's not a GM. 

Also, people piling on Jay about the DCs that have been here - how many do you think he really picked? You all know we do not have a traditional FO yet you place blame as if it were. 

No need to fire any coaches right now. Get rid of Bruce and hire a real GM. Let them audition the guys here. Then they can keep or fire who they want. Maybe even fire a few guys but let them interview for their old jobs back. Typically odd but happens in the NFL a lot. 

35 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

If I may add one more. Perhaps it might even be considered an edit to #3.

Call the play where we tackle the guy with the ball before he scores.  T A C K L E ! W R A P U P !

I have yelled at the screen way to many times in recent weeks... Finish the play!

How many near sacks or third down stops have we lost out on because we let a tackle be broken or let the ball carrier drag the tackler an extra 2-5 yards.

5 hours ago, Unbias said:

I don't know. How does a defensive coordinator call plays when he knows the offense will give him nothing? Does he go ultra conservative or does he go over aggressive? Whichever he chooses how does he know it's right?

I've done some thinking since the loss. We love Allen and Payne and we are somewhat confused as to how they were dominated last week. The truth is that their performance doesn't happen in a vacuum. Last year the Eagles won a Superbowl largely off their offensive line's ability to dominate. Is it reasonable that Peters (future HOFer), Brooks (Probowler), Kelce (Probowler), Seumalo (who?) and Johnson (All Pro) were just better than Kerrigan, Payne, Allen and Smith this past Sunday? It might not be less about scheme, but more around that we came across a good group peaking at just the wrong time for us? 

I'm not a fan of Manusky, but I'm also not a fan of snap decision firings. Last weeks game was horrible for many reasons and I find it hard to pin it on the D alone. 

I think that when Manuskys defense can stop folding like a cheap deck of cards, we can talk about maybe it not being his fault.

But for all of the high draft picks we have pumped into the defense in the past 2-3 seasons, his defense folds often, consistently, and at all of the key parts of a game.  All of the marks of very poor coaching.  The saints game the past 2 years were great examples.

Archived