Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Terminate Manusky

SavetheSkins

Thoughts from those that know NFL defensive schemes/adjustments better than I?

A few basic observations: 

1) Too much run blitzing. Can cause disruption by D-Line shifts  and stunts vs. blitzing. 

2) Poor in game adjustments and substitutions. 

3) Unwillingness to bench starters not performing. Prime example Ha Ha Dix. Poor angles and afraid to hit and tackle. Nicholson playing special teams, so he's healthy. I'd take my chances with him. At least he's aggressive, and a big hitter. 

Also, why not play JHD or even Zach Vigil who are better against the pass, and have better sideline to sideline speed vs. Mason Foster?

Mason Foster cannot run with anyone nor run up the open gaps.  

Brown is fast but cannot cover and gets lost in the rush too.    

This is why i think we at least made a claim on Foster to get a better talent at ILB.....if it even pans out.

We need either 2 new ILBs or if we clean some house we FINALLY should go to a 4-3 base (i know i know we are in nickel a lot and blah to the blah) and just get one sick MLB.  Can you imagine lining up Ionidas, Setlle, Payne, and Allen for our DL.  I'd assume we'd be better at stopping the run.  

Our pass defense had been exposed since the Saints game. We don't have enough experience at CB. They will only get better if we learned anything from Kendall Fuller. I'm still waiting for Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to make any kind of impact since we got him. To me he's just been a body out there. But hey maybe he's doing thing that show only on film..

I really don't have much of a problem with Manusky..

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not sure what you're saying in the 2nd half of that.

That we should keep Manusky, if we cannot keep Tomsula and Gray ?

How about Tomsula as DC ?

I'm saying if a new DC wants to bring in his own DL and DB coach than I rather keep Manusky.  I would be ok with Tomsula, don't know if he ever called def plays before?

1 hour ago, RabidFan said:

we FINALLY should go to a 4-3 base (i know i know we are in nickel a lot and blah to the blah) and just get one sick MLB.  Can you imagine lining up Ionidas, Setlle, Payne, and Allen for our DL.  I'd assume we'd be better at stopping the run.  

I for one would be all in on going back to the 4-3 base...….This 3-4 just hasn't seemed to have worked for us , like it has for others.

So you want Gruden to hire his 4th defensive coordinator in 5 years?

Maybe it's time to stop letting the head coach make his defensive coordinators scapegoats for his team's hapless mediocrity. Gruden has had ample opportunities to hire stellar defensive staff, but has always chosen familiar faces with at best questionable (if not downright horrible) histories.

I think Gruden's on the hot seat. I think every hot coordinator or position coach knows it. They also know that if Gruden survives this year, he very likely won't survive 2019. The question then becomes... who's going to tie their fortune to Gruden for a one year deal?

I don't think you can get rid of Mansky until you get rid of Gruden unless you think Torian Grey or Tomsula is the guy for the role.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Until who went down ?

Crazily enough, everything fell apart when Dunbar went down. I don't think that's it... and one player shouldn't be able to cause a defensive implosion like that, but you could argue that's the timeline. Ionadis getting dinged seems to have hurt a lot too.

If anybody id promote tomsula. That is one body (the d lineman) that has shown constant progress and no regression. Even dbs regressed. Norman, dunbar...the complete lack of db tackling. I cant believe that danny Johnson (i believe)had the tackle wrapped up short of the first on 3rd down but went for the strip to allow the first down on the eagles first drive. While allen, payne, matty i, settle showing something now...that they are getting bettee and better.

I’m not sure why everyone is upset at the defense... the last few games been a little rough l, but basically all the pressure was on them, and offenses tend to get better through the season.

the defense gave us opportunities to win, even vs the eagles. That int Norman had could have won the game. If our offense had of put a drive together, and taken some time off the clock, the defense would get s chance to rest. Instead, our offense went three and out and had to punt giving them excellent field position, which the defense stepped up and kept them out of field goal range again and they punted, putting us on the 1 yard line, offense could get out from its own shadow and punted again giving them great field position again.

you guys are expecting a lot out of a defense that is getting hurt by a terrible offense.

We really need to have a leader on defense who isn't DJ.  This guy talks so much **** and then gets abused by TEs and goes for strip turnovers constantly.  

We have idiot linebackers.  When is the last time we actually drafted a Inside linebacker?  Seems like we keep draft outside 3-4 linebackers.  Our last complete linebacker was Antonio pierce.  London Fletcher was great but he couldn't cover TE either. 

And also our defense pretty much has been a joke since we changed over to the 3-4.  It's much eaiser to build a 4-3 defense and i love the excuses that a 3-4 is harder to stop.  The giants won 2 superbowls with a 4-3 front. 

5 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

We really need to have a leader on defense who isn't DJ.  This guy talks so much **** and then gets abused by TEs and goes for strip turnovers constantly.  

We have idiot linebackers.  When is the last time we actually drafted a Inside linebacker?  Seems like we keep draft outside 3-4 linebackers.  Our last complete linebacker was Antonio pierce.  London Fletcher was great but he couldn't cover TE either. 

And also our defense pretty much has been a joke since we changed over to the 3-4.  It's much eaiser to build a 4-3 defense and i love the excuses that a 3-4 is harder to stop.  The giants won 2 superbowls with a 4-3 front. 

Didn't Antonio Pierce suck in pass coverage? 

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Alex Smith,  thot all the cool kids were calling him as...

No, this defense has been on the skids for the past 5 weeks. Alex has missed the last two weeks. It's infuriating because the defense has been, outside of Dunbar and like 1 game by Ion, very healthy. We just started playing like **** on defense 5 weeks ago for no reason. To me, it sounds like offenses have figured out Manusky's basic schemes and are exploiting his lack of adjustments. I know our LB's suck and our backup corners are green, but I don't see a reason to fall from the #4 or 5 rated defense during the first 7 games, to the 30th ranked unit over the last 5.

Manusky is bleh. His schemes are the most vanilla I've ever seen. Our DL never stunt or do swim moves or anything of the sort.

The big thing though, to me, is there seems to be a disconnect between the front seven and the secondary. So many times when we blitz, we play super soft zone coverage, rendering the blitz useless as the QB can easily throw to a WR who just runs a few steps and turns around.

We have some really terrible players in our D like Mason Foster, but Manusky's coaching isn't helping matters much.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Crazily enough, everything fell apart when Dunbar went down. I don't think that's it... and one player shouldn't be able to cause a defensive implosion like that, but you could argue that's the timeline. Ionadis getting dinged seems to have hurt a lot too.

That's it.

Since then we've rotated young guys that are doing young guys mistakes. And offenses are abusing this.

We've also added HaHa around the same time, and it didn't pay dividends so far.

Our ILBs aren't that good this year which doesn't help.

Then lastly,

With our sputtering offense stucked in 3 and outs lately, our D spend way too much time on the field and ends up gashed quickly.

I really doubt Manusky is the highest of our problems.

Yeah, relying on a seventh round rookie and a udfa rookie to fill major roles can't be that great. It's possible that Danny Johnson and Stroman turn into contributors and even that they aren't playing terribly given who they are, but this is another example of why you don't get of Breeland and Fuller in one offseason. Why you don't get rid of Garcon and Jackson in one offseason.

The Redskins have developed a habit of taking their strengths for granted and it backfiring badly.

Archived