Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

53 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I cant speak for him, but I think I speak for a lot of us in saying that apprehensive might not be the right word.  Unconvinced this is a winning formula and not just spinning wheels.  It’s unbelievable how many things have broken the Redskins way this year.  I heard a talking head on 106.7 this morning saying that we have to be the absolute luckiest team in football this year.  Hard to argue it.  It feels similar to say Buffalo last year, where they just randomly made the playoffs and folks were wondering how on earth it happened.

The Skins historically don’t catch good breaks like schedule, opposing team giving games away, bounces, you name it.  So I entirely understand relishing in it and living in the moment.  

A lot of things have broke the Redskins way this year and  it’s definitely a nice change of pace . However, the injury bug tends to persist year after year.  Sure would be nice to go a year without looking like a mash unit.

11 hours ago, Bigmuss1 said:

6-3!!!  Let’s go!  

I was very frustrated with this offense particularly this weekend.  With 2 min to go in half, Alex finally started throwing passes beyond 8 yards.  Low and behold the Bucs D had to back up, I’m hoping Alex felt this/saw this and continues this.  The shot to Vernon should be a TD by a pro Qb, this game wasn’t as close as the score reflected.  The phantom holding call I believe took another 4 points off the board too.  27-3 in my opinion coulda/shoulda been the score.  

On to the Texans!  Another team off their bye, thanks NFL! 

4 pts?? Just how do you score 4 pts?

Nevermind you were talking about a fg vs a TD with extra point, correct?

14 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I get that, and i agree with you.  I dont see this formula as some sort of paradigm shift that can change the scope of the NFL.  

More like a paradigm redux. Good defense, running the ball, shortening the game, and not turning it over was the design for years. The rules of the game have changed that now, certainly, offense and franchise QBs are the order of the day now. Nostalgia can still give you the warm and fuzzies sometimes though.

21 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

More like a paradigm redux. Good defense, running the ball, shortening the game, and not turning it over was the design for years. The rules of the game have changed that now, certainly, offense and franchise QBs are the order of the day now. Nostalgia can still give you the warm and fuzzies sometimes though.

Dallas Cowboys in 2016 were 13-3 with this formula. Last years Jaguars.

its possible, just not the norm. 

While I know neither won the Lombardi, one was a half away from the super bowl and the other nearly pushed into the NFC championship had Rodgers not pulled a rabbit out of his hat. 

Plus i I think we match up better against the Rams than the majority thinks. We could keep their offense in front of us and limit Gurley. Plus we know McVay. Their defense isn’t good against the run whatsoever. We are a lot like the Seahawks and they almost shocked them. Food for thought.

There is almost zero chance we could get through New Orleans in playoffs though...

5 hours ago, PortisBetts said:

They beat the Panthers and Packers. Panthers are a 6-3 team, Packers 5-4-1. So they havent beat an 8-1 team yet......not many other teams have either. They have 3 bad losses. They also had 6 good wins. Ugly, but solid wins. If you want 3-6 with bad luck, go watch and root the buccaneers. I dont understand why you wouldnt want to root for a potential NFC East Title and playoff berth, which, while unrealistic, are still in play for the first round bye (dont take this as i expect it, because I dont, but IT CAN HAPPEN, so be excited for the opportunity. We dont get them often.)

Packers weren't good with Rodgers playing badly injured.  The only good team we beat was Carolina.  That's a start!!

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I do have two points of concern lately.

Our front 7 is good, but we are having trouble latly in 2 things:

- Getting the QB down. Too many times they are escaping our grasps.

- Run D has fall off a cliff a little bit. We've been beaten badly. But that may probably be due to scheme.

All of them are correctable, one may even be by design, but that's an eye to keep on if you are the coaching staff.

I think point 2 is a lot of scheme and its mostly working. I think also Anderson would be better on the edge as hes really good at containment. 

Point one, casanova mack is gonna add the missing speed to our rush.

10 hours ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

Packers weren't good with Rodgers playing badly injured.  The only good team we beat was Carolina.  That's a start!!

The point is we looked pretty good when we had all our weapons on the field. You can't take good pistons out of an engine and expect it to run the same, it's not going to happen no matter how much you try to tune it up. We are missing key players in this offense and still sitting at 6-3. 2 of those key players will be back, I'm hoping to at least get Thompson back this week, we are going to need him against the Texans Defense.

12 minutes ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

The point is we looked pretty good when we had all our weapons on the field. You can't take good pistons out of an engine and expect it to run the same, it's not going to happen no matter how much you try to tune it up. We are missing key players in this offense and still sitting at 6-3. 2 of those key players will be back, I'm hoping to at least get Thompson back this week, we are going to need him against the Texans Defense.

Good illustration,but sounds as though Thompson will not play this week. Not too sure about Crowder or Trent.

10 hours ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

That team with an injured Rodgers beat the Bears, tied with the Vikings and beat the Bills.

There's no reason to discount that win.

Good teams win the games they are suppose to win. We've done that for the most part.

Our wins also haven't been luck. We needed work on finishing teams early, but most games in this league are close anyway.

The Redskins are playing good football. They're not playing like a top 5 team, but no one had that expectation this year. 

It's odd that so many people are down on a team that's exceeding most expectations.

15 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I cant speak for him, but I think I speak for a lot of us in saying that apprehensive might not be the right word.  Unconvinced this is a winning formula and not just spinning wheels.  

That and we’re just not a good team. I don’t know how anyone could watch that pathetic game against the bucs (6-3 to start the 4th quarter) and think we’re anything other than a bad team that lucked into some wins. 

The people pointing at the record remind me of the dopes that use stats as the end all be all about a player in a sport where there’s 52 other dudes on the team’s active roster contributing to the results plus a bunch of coaches. 

we are not playing quality football. Maybe we’ll start before the season is over. As each week passes I’m struggling to hold out hope that’s possible. They got 7 games to figure out how to not get their asses whooped against a good team.  

Solid defense that wears you out and gets more aggressive as the game goes on, solid ground control game that grinds and keeps the defense off the field, QB that doesn't make mistakes, great special teams. These are all keys to a playoff team. We aren't an easy win for anyone anymore and were proving it.

On 11/12/2018 at 4:31 PM, Koolblue13 said:

If we beat the Texans itll be 12-10 and fans will complain. 

If we beat ________________________ fans will complain. 

?

19 hours ago, tshile said:

If we were actually good we’d be a 13,14,15 win team. 

I dunno. I’m thinking we’re total garbage unless we get 22, 23 or 24 wins this year. 

Just now, MassSkinsFan said:

Not enough wins right? ??

If what you took away from the conversation is that I think the quality of a team is derived from the number of wins they have then you really don’t get it and/or have a reading issue. 

Ive been posting consistently the exact opposite of that. So....  

17 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We're gonna get a home game against the Vikings, book it

Cap’n Kirk with the big INT during the last-minute comeback that was not meant to be.  Book it.

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

If what you took away from the conversation is that I think the quality of a team is derived from the number of wins they have then you really don’t get it and/or have a reading issue. 

Ive been posting consistently the exact opposite of that. So....  

Just having a laugh. I know what you mean. I just don’t see it that way. 

3 hours ago, tshile said:

That and we’re just not a good team. I don’t know how anyone could watch that pathetic game against the bucs (6-3 to start the 4th quarter) and think we’re anything other than a bad team that lucked into some wins. 

The people pointing at the record remind me of the dopes that use stats as the end all be all about a player in a sport where there’s 52 other dudes on the team’s active roster contributing to the results plus a bunch of coaches. 

we are not playing quality football. Maybe we’ll start before the season is over. As each week passes I’m struggling to hold out hope that’s possible. They got 7 games to figure out how to not get their asses whooped against a good team.  

they allowed 500 yards of offense and only gave up three points.  And only one of the missed FG was a chip shot.  That's quality when it counts

6 minutes ago, carex said:

they allowed 500 yards of offense and only gave up three points.  And only one of the missed FG was a chip shot.  That's quality when it counts

It would appear that they executed the defensive scheme the way it was put in... Don't let them beat us on a single play.  The more plays they have to run, the more chances they will mess up... and it worked.  It was ugly, but they executed it and held the Bucs to 3 points.  It may have been luck, as other people want to call it, but it very well may have been intentional.  

Archived