Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

10 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Currently Ubering from Newark to LaGuardia due to 3+ hour delays on my flight causing missed connection. AMA. 

LOL...You'd be better off renting a car and driving home. Although the construction at LGA has made Uber in & out much easier, traffic around there still sucks.

I've made that drive from PHL & EWR on numerous occasions during snow delays/cancellations - ugh. 

Just now, EmirOfShmo said:

LOL...You'd be better off renting a car and driving home. Although the construction at LGA has made Uber in & out much easier, traffic around there still sucks.

I've made that drive from PHL & EWR on numerous occasions during snow delays/cancellations - ugh. 

Actually wasn’t bad. Took an hour from the moment I said “**** it I’m doing this” to getting to my gate at LGA. Including waiting for AA to change my flight and everything. A surprise benefit was the Manhattan skyline at night was beautiful. 

• Like 1

WiFi hot spot name sends police to Detroit Metro Airport

The name of a WiFi hot spot caused police to remove two passengers from a plane Thursday at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.

Law enforcement, out of an abundance of caution, responded to the airport for a departing GoJet flight operating as Delta Connection, Wayne County Airport Authority spokeswoman Lisa Gass in an email early Friday.

The flight was already running behind from its about 8:10 p.m. departure time when flight attendants began repeatedly asking for passengers to turn off their personal WiFi, said Aaron Greenberg, 47, of Seattle who was taking the flight on his way to a work meeting in Montreal.

Then flight attendants announced that they’d be calling police if personal WiFi wasn’t turned off, Greenberg said.

It was a nerve-racking moment when an estimated 10 emergency vehicles with flashing lights surrounded the plane, he said.

“I, at first, thought there was someone really dangerous on the back of the plane, because the pilot said they were dealing with someone in the back,” Greenberg said.

After the plane stopped, police boarded and took two people off, Greenberg said. Police and the pair returned and two other people – a man in shorts and a woman, both who appeared to be in their 30s – were then removed from the plane, he said.

Police took the two passengers’ bags and they never returned, Greenberg said. A flight attendant told him there was a personal WiFi called “remote detonator” that was never turned off.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Outrage in the skies: Are airline passengers getting more unruly?

(CNN) — Air travel can be hard work, whether it's navigating super-long security lines, losing the seat lottery and ending up jammed in the middle of the row, or finding yourself on a plane grounded on the runway, delayed and unmoving for the foreseeable future.

In these stress-inducing scenarios, most of us might plug in our headphones and get lost in a podcast or movie -- or simply close our eyes and try to get some sleep.

For others, the pressure gets too much, the scales tip over into the wrong direction and the perfect storm's created for the unfortunate phenomenon known as air rage.

In the photo above, actors play out a disruptive scenario as part of training carried out by the aviation security company Green Light.

Air rage is a term used for disruptive and unruly passenger behavior, ranging from snapping at the flight attendant, refusing to sit down, brawling with another passenger and even, in the most extreme scenarios, attempting to enter the flight deck or open the emergency exit door.

These situations might be exacerbated, or even directly caused, by excessive alcohol consumption, fear of flying, mental health conditions or other individual issues the traveler is dealing with.

Statistics recorded by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) suggest incidents involving unruly airplane passengers are on the rise.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:34 PM, China said:

Police took the two passengers’ bags and they never returned, Greenberg said. A flight attendant told him there was a personal WiFi called “remote detonator” that was never turned off.

Jeez how stupid can people get?? Like....what did the two morons expect to happen, when their WiFi name, ON A PLANE, is remote detonator????? NEWSFLASH, obviously the flight attendants are going to take that **** seriously, joke or no joke🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Common sense, people!!!! 😂😂😂

11 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Jeez how stupid can people get?? Like....what did the two morons expect to happen, when their WiFi name, ON A PLANE, is remote detonator????? NEWSFLASH, obviously the flight attendants are going to take that **** seriously, joke or no joke🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Common sense, people!!!! 😂😂😂

they probably named it 18 months ago, when they bought their phones...and then just forgot about it.

31 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

they probably named it 18 months ago, when they bought their phones...and then just forgot about it.

Well that would definitely be a hard way to learn that lesson i guess😂

although at the same time, why keep the WiFi on when the flight attendant is asking people to turn them off? If they turned off the WiFi on their phone they wouldn’t have gotten in trouble. 

American Airlines passenger 'punches' reclined seat to spark debate over who's wrong

Video of an American Airlines passenger appearing to repeatedly punch the reclined seat of a woman in front has sparked a fierce debate online over who was in the wrong.

Wendi Williams was on a short-haul flight travelling from New Orleans to Charlotte last month when the mishap happened.

In the footage she shared on Twitter, Wendi has her seat reclined while a man sitting behind appears to jab at her headrest nine times.

She turns back to look at the man, who is watching movies on his phone with earphones on, and stares at him.

The man briefly stops but then starts again when Wendi turns away.

In response to the matter, a spokesperson from American Airlines said in a statement: "We are aware of a customer dispute that transpired on American Eagle flight 4392, operated by Republic Airways on January 31.

"The safety and comfort of our customers and team members is our top priority, and our team is looking into the issue."

Click on the link for the full article and video.

I call BS on American's statement regarding passenger comfort.

I can’t stand people who recline their seats, especially when they do it while people are still boarding and getting situated. If airlines are going to cram in as many seats as they can with minimal clearance, they should lock the seats in the upright position. I’m an average height and build and a fully reclined seat touches my knees in economy class on some airlines, so I can’t imagine what it’s like for taller guys. 

• Like 1

If you are a ****ing fatass or a tall person, and want more space, then stop being a cheap ass and pay for first or business class seats.  There are accommodations for you if you want them.  The weak ass entitlement mentality of our culture annoys the **** out of me.

And I've got pretty large shoulders and when I fly my shoulder is typically out into the aisle and people will bump into me sometimes when walking by.  But it's not a big deal and not worth me ponying up to fly the whole family first class.

The dude punching the seat is a huge douchebag and probably an even bigger ****.

39 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I can’t stand people who recline their seats, especially when they do it while people are still boarding and getting situated. If airlines are going to cram in as many seats as they can with minimal clearance, they should lock the seats in the upright position. I’m an average height and build and a fully reclined seat touches my knees in economy class on some airlines, so I can’t imagine what it’s like for taller guys. 

So fly a different airline or pay more for first class.

I am just under 6' and built like a line backer and I fly Southwest all the time and have no issue (other than shoulder thing I mention above).  If someone reclines it's a bit tighter but it's not a ****ing big deal.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i think it's preferable for humans to work out amicable negotiations the best they can as a first move in these matters----being polite and treating it as a mutual issue, ideally...but the right to recline takes precedence unless there's some special circumstance 

now if that were me, and i was going to exert my right to recline even if it bothered the other passenger in some non-vital context, and they did something with their body to my seat in retaliation, then i'd report that to the attendant and follow their decision....depending on all the context, i'd sure reserve the option to confront the person outside the terminal as assertively or even aggressively as deemed appropriate :)

On 2/14/2020 at 10:47 AM, RansomthePasserby said:

On 2/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, purbeast said:

If you are a ****ing fatass or a tall person, and want more space, then stop being a cheap ass and pay for first or business class seats.  There are accommodations for you if you want them.  The weak ass entitlement mentality of our culture annoys the **** out of me.

And I've got pretty large shoulders and when I fly my shoulder is typically out into the aisle and people will bump into me sometimes when walking by.  But it's not a big deal and not worth me ponying up to fly the whole family first class.

tr

The dude punching the seat is a huge douchebag and probably an even bigger ****.

I am just under 6' and built like a line backer and I fly Southwest all the time and have no issue (other than shoulder thing I mention above).  If someone reclines it's a bit tighter but it's not a ****ing big deal.

I used to fly every week for work. I am so ****ing glad I don't have to do that anymore. Even in 1st class of most domestic airlines the legroom is atrocious when somebody pushes the seat back. One time on a vacation trip to Jamaica my wife & I were sitting in 1st class. The people in front of us both pushed their seats all the way back. We were unable to put down our tray table to put a drink/food on it. We had to tell the flight attendant to get the people to raise their seats. Once the meal was finished both people pushed the seats back all of the way. It was like their heads were resting in our laps. ****ing ridiculous. 

The airlines are to blame for this. The seat space is abysmal & not built for 21st century sized people. 

Oh...and sitting on the aisle (for more space) is horrendous when the dumb asses with backpacks walk down the aisle when boarding. Do they NOT ****ing realize when the turn their body their over sized backpack will smack me right in the cranium? Seriously, when did a ****ing backpack become a briefcase? Keep your stupid insulated cup at home, dumbass. And WTF else have you jammed in there that couldn't fit in a computer bag? 

Or the dumb****s that HAVE to use my headrest to sit their asses down - or pull their asses up. That's my ****ing seat not yours, FFS. 

I could go on - 30 years of weekly travel I'm surprised I didn't kill some people along the way...

Edited by EmirOfShmo

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

We do.  Oh my, we definitely do.  :ols:

Right...I guess being an asshole has it's moments so you can tell your kids & they can be proud of you. 

33 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Oh yes, that sounds so rough.  I really don't know how you're able to go on.  You must have been scarred for life.

#firstworldproblems

Trust me, it's rough. Especially when the 1st class seats are free (and the hotels, rental cars, food & drinks). Just help keep the peasants behind the curtain & don't try to drink my Dom Perignon. 

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I flew back from ATL today and the CLEAR line was slower than the regular check in lines. All because they had FIVE biometric machines manned by one person. For some dumb reason, you can’t simply walk up to one of their machines, scan your fingerprints and get moving. Someone has to babysit you through this process. 

It’s still worth it 90% of the time but it was hilarious watching the regular ticketing line just chugging along while the rest of us chumps stood around like morons. 

Also it’s obvious that CLEAR is for people too lazy to go for their TSA-PRE interviews. Precheck lines are always shorter and its 5x less expensive. There really doesn’t seem to be a reason to use CLEAR over Precheck. Might be time to just schedule an interview and just get it done. 

Edited by No Excuses

18 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

One time on a vacation trip to Jamaica my wife & I were sitting in 1st class. The people in front of us both pushed their seats all the way back. We were unable to put down our tray table to put a drink/food on it.

I don't know about you, but i haven't seen a plane in nearly a decade where the tray was mounted to the seatback in first class. It always comes out of the armrest.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:25 AM, purbeast said:

Being tall should be in the same category as being disabled - they should not have to pay extra because they have inherent disadvantage.  Perhaps there should be special seats for taller folk. 

1 minute ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Being tall should be in the same category as being disabled - they should not have to pay extra because they have inherent disadvantage.  Perhaps there should be special seats for taller folk. 

Bulkhead.  Pay for those seats.