Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

I'm about 35-40 minutes from all 3 airports.

BWI is by far the best one to me.  I use non-airport long term parking and the shuttle takes you from your car right to your airlines gate and the price is reasonable.  The airport is spacious and has a good food court and it's never crowded at security.

Then would come Reagan but I rarely fly out of there.

In a very distant 3rd is Dulles.  That airport is complete ass.  Their long term parking ****ing sucks and you have to wait a long ass time for the stupid bus to pick you up.  Same when leaving.

Then you have security that has been backed up all the way to the where escalators going down to security have been backed up so the line is literally stopped at the bottom of an escalator shoving people downstairs.  Such a stupid design.  My wife also had a very bad experience with security there because she didn't want to go through the x-ray machine because we thought she might be pregnant, 5 months after she had a miscarriage.

Oh and then after all that, you have to take a ****ing tram to get to your god damn terminal.

Hate that airport.  But I'll use it if there are direct flights going where I want to go like St. Thomas.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

FAA proposes $27,500 fine for Delta passenger who allegedly hit flight attendant

A passenger is facing a $27,500 fine for allegedly hitting a Delta flight attendant in the face in October.

The Federal Aviation Administration announced the proposed penalty for the passenger on Friday.

The unnamed passenger was traveling on a Delta flight from Miami to Atlanta on Oct. 19. They were traveling and sitting next to another passenger who refused to wear his mask, secure his tray table or fasten his seatbelt, according to the FAA.

The flight then returned to the gate where flight attendants asked the two passengers to get off the aircraft.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why you don't own the right to recline in your airplane seat

Who "owns" the space behind your airplane seat? The airlines don't want you to know

James Beach is a large guy, over six feet tall. On a United Airlines flight from Newark to Denver, the businessman lowered his tray table and attached his Knee Defender. The Knee Defender is a simple plastic clamp available for $21.95 that locks the seat in front. Its website claims the clamp will "stop reclining seats on airplanes so your knees won't have to." Assured of his workspace, Beach opened his laptop.

The Knee Defender claims are real. When the passenger sitting in front of Beach tried to recline, her seat didn't budge. Outraged, she slammed her seat back, popping out the Knee Defender and jolting Beach's laptop. He quickly jammed her seat back up and reattached the clamp. She turned around and threw her drink at Beach. The pilot changed course to Chicago for an emergency landing and both passengers were removed from the plane.

This conflict keeps erupting—most recently on video. On an American Airlines flight from New Orleans to North Carolina, Wendi Williams reclined her seat. The man behind was in the last row, so he could not recline. Instead, he tapped the back of Williams's seat repeatedly, like an irritating metronome. Her video of this high-altitude fracas quickly went viral.

Air travel brings into sharp focus three conflicting rules—attachment, first-in-time, and possession.

Each side picks the story that gives it the moral high ground, each side wants ownership bent toward its view. But there is no natural, correct answer to mine versus mine battles. Ownership is always up for grabs.

When we ask audiences about the Knee Defender conflict, the answer is always the same, whether we're talking with our law students at Columbia and UCLA or a non-law crowd. Most people respond with versions of "It's obvious." But when we ask for a show of hands, people generally split between Williams and Beach—and everyone looks at each other with incredulity. In a 2020 national poll, about half replied, "If it can recline, I'm reclining," and the other half said, "No, just don't do it." Everyone feels in the right, as did Williams and Beach. That's why Williams felt justified in posting her video and Beach didn't hesitate to shove the front seat forward. Don't mess with what's mine.

It turns out neither Beach nor Williams really own the wedge of reclining space. The airlines do. And they are savvy pros at ownership design. As Ira Goldman, the inventor of the Knee Defender (whose website traffic increased five-hundred-fold after the Denver flight incident), described: "What the airlines are doing is, they're selling me space for my legs, and they're selling you the space—if you're sitting in front of me—they're selling you the same space to recline. So they're selling one space to two people."

Can the airlines do that?

Yes. In 2018 the Federal Aviation Administration declined to regulate airplane seats, leaving their design to the airlines. In turn, the airlines use a secret weapon that lets them sell the same space twice on every flight. The weapon is strategic ambiguity, a sophisticated tool of ownership design. Most airlines do have a rule—the passenger with the button can lean back. But they keep it quiet. Flight attendants don't announce it.

Ambiguity works to the airlines' advantage. When ownership is unclear—and it's unclear far more often than you might imagine—people mostly fall back on politeness and good manners.

Signs that you might have a drinking problem:

Man, 24, faces 20 years in prison for 'disrupting Alaska Airlines flight from Seattle to Denver by refusing to wear a mask and URINATING in the cabin'

A Colorado man accused of disrupting an Alaska Airlines flight from Seattle to Denver by refusing to wear a mask and then standing up and urinating in the cabin faces a federal charge of interfering with a flight crew and attendants that carries a maximum term of 20 years in prison and a possible $250,000 fine.

The FBI arrested 24-year-old Landon Grier of Canon City after the flight landed March 9, according to an affidavit filed in U.S. District Court in Denver.

The affidavit by FBI Special Agent Martin Daniell III, who interviewed Grier and crew members, says Grier appeared to be trying to sleep but swatted at an attendant when she asked him repeatedly to put on his mask, as required by the Federal Aviation Administration.

A passenger later summoned attendants because Grier was urinating in his seat area, Daniell wrote.

The agent said Grier told him he had several beers and 'a couple of shots' before boarding the flight, fell asleep on the plane and 'awoke to being yelled at by the flight attendants who told him he was peeing.'

'He stated he had no recollection of hitting the flight attendant and didn't know if he was peeing,' Daniell said.

• 1 month later...

TSA: U.S. Travelers Keep ‘Forgetting’ They Packed Loaded Guns

Some travelers forget sunscreen. Others neglect to put their mail on hold or water their plants. And, for certain travelers, it completely escapes their memory that they packed loaded guns in their carry-on bags.

Forgetfulness is the most common excuse provided when Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screeners discover a gun at an airport security checkpoint.

In an example from just last Sunday, a Maryland resident told law enforcement officers at Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) that he forgot his loaded 9mm semi-automatic handgun was in his carry-on luggage after TSA screeners spotted it inside the checkpoint X-ray machine. The man was cited on weapons charges and also faces a stiff federal financial penalty.

Gun-toting travelers who claim memory loss may not be putting the smartest foot forward. “If you own a firearm, you need to know where it is at all times,” said a TSA spokesperson. “The vast majority of travelers who bring guns to checkpoints claim that they forgot that they had their guns with them.”

The forgetfulness epidemic is all the more troubling given that a staggering 83% of guns caught at airport checkpoints last year were loaded. The TSA’s gun seizure rate doubled in 2020, an astounding feat during a year that saw an enormous drop-off in air travel. The agency caught an average of 63 guns per week, building to a grand tally of 3,262 firearms confiscated at airports around the country, a number the TSA spokesperson called “extremely disappointing.”

• 1 month later...

Karen strikes again...

American Airlines Flight From Tokyo Diverts to Seattle After Passenger’s Phone Charger Stops Working

An American Airlines flight from Tokyo Narita to Dallas Fort Worth was placed into “Level Three Lockdown” and diverted to Seattle Tacoma Airport after a passenger assaulted a flight attendant and banged on the flight deck door because the phone charger at her seat stopped working court documents allege.

American Airlines flight AA60 departed Tokyo on Wednesday with just 60 passengers onboard including Waka Suzuki, a Japanese citizen who was connecting through Dallas with her mother en route to Cancun, Mexico where the pair planned to vacation for 10-days.

According to court documents, Suzuki was initially calm when she boarded the flight and kept herself busy by watching a movie on her mobile phone. But around 3 – 4 hours into the 11 hour flight, and as the plane was flying over the Pacfic, Suzuki requested assistance from flight attendants because the phone charger at her seat didn’t appear to be working.

A flight attendant attempted to help Suzuki but apparently couldn’t resolve the issue leading to Suzuki shouting at the flight attendants becoming “increasingly hostile and belligerent” towards crew members.

Suzuki demanded flight attendants bring her items to resolve the issue and when they didn’t, Suzuki stands accused of running down the aircraft aisle from her seat in Economy towards the flight deck.

Another flight attendant attempted to stop her but Suzuki allegedly pushed past her, stomped on her foot and continued going until she got to the flight deck and started banging on the door demanding help to resolve the phone charging issue.

The Captain put the aircraft into Level Three Lockdown and informed the FAA of a threat to the aircraft while Suzuki was restrained with plastic flexicuffs. The flight was diverted to Seattle where Suzuki refused to deplane for 25 minutes.

• Haha 1

I'm not small (6'2" 265ish, 50L jacket size, and 32 inseam). People reclining the seat have never bothered me. The biggest problem with airlines has nothing to do with the airlines themselves. People are just raging ****ing assholes.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm not small (6'2" 265ish, 50L jacket size, and 32 inseam). People reclining the seat have never bothered me. The biggest problem with airlines has nothing to do with the airlines themselves. People are just raging ****ing assholes.

I am pretty much with you as far as people being assholes.

But it also is on the airlines.

I just flew a United flight in coach and didn't pay for the "extra space" seats, and it is cramped AF.

Like noticeably tighter than when we fly Southwest.  And it's because United wants to get as much $$$ as they possibly can by putting more seats in, or making you "upgrade" to get more space.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I am pretty much with you as far as people being assholes.

But it also is on the airlines.

I just flew a United flight in coach and didn't pay for the "extra space" seats, and it is cramped AF.

Like noticeably tighter than when we fly Southwest.  And it's because United wants to get as much $$$ as they possibly can by putting more seats in, or making you "upgrade" to get more space.

The narrow seats are worse for me than then legroom, especially if I am sitting next to a spreader. But yes, airlines are squeezing every inch of space out

The last time I can remember enjoying a flight was my honeymoon. My wife saved up enough airlines miles that we flew an Asian airline direct from San Fran to Hong Kong. Granted we were in business class with fully reclining seats in our own pods, the service was amazing. Apps, Desserts, Breakfast, Snacks, After Dinner digestifs, hot towels to wash my face...man that was the life. There were some highlights of our honeymoon and honestly the flight there and back was one of them. 

Every domestic flight I've been on in the last 20 years has sucked ass on some level or other. Before that international flight was better but in general it seems to have gotten worse. I remember flying Air France to see family and slowly over time the service got worse and worse. 

A Southwest Passenger Punched Out A Flight Attendant’s Teeth Last Weekend

Being a flight attendant has become a dangerous profession. In the past year, there’s been a sharp uptick in the number of air rage incidents happening on flights, and despite a string of five-figure fines levied against disruptive passengers and some arrests, frequent episodes of unruliness and violence have continued.

Last Sunday, on Southwest Airlines flight 700 from Sacramento to San Diego, a female passenger assaulted a flight attendant, leaving her bloodied and missing two teeth. According to a Dallas Morning News report, the flight attendant had told the passenger to keep her seat belt fastened while the plane was still moving after landing. The passenger then became verbally and physically abusive.

According to the Dallas Morning News, a passenger on the plane posted the following account on Facebook: “As we are pulling up to the gate, a woman in the back row took off her seat belt and stood up. The flight attendant told her to keep her seat belt fastened while we were still moving. What I saw was the flight attendant in the front suddenly start screaming “No, No, No! Stop!” and running toward the back. I thought maybe someone was trying to open the back doors at first, but the woman in the back was attacking the flight attendant, punching her in the head. While the flight attendant was staggering back with a bloody face, we were all told to stay in our seats while they brought in police to remove the unruly passenger. Good grief people. Lady, welcome to the ‘no fly list.’”

Unfortunately, this was far from an isolated incident, as the local Southwest flight attendants’ union was quick to point out. “From April 8 to May 15, there were 477 passenger misconduct incidents on Southwest Airlines aircraft,” wrote Lyn Montgomery, TWU Local 556 President, in a letter to Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly. “This unprecedented number of incidents has reached an intolerable level, with passenger non-compliance events also becoming more aggressive in nature.”

These double-decker airplane cabin concepts could be the future of flying

Airplane seat designers have long been dreaming up innovative economy cabin concepts, looking for the ideal balance between squeezing in as many passengers in as possible, and keeping the experience relatively enjoyable for fliers.

And while the stand-up airplane seats that have been floating around for the past few years have yet to see the light of day, and the airplane seat overhaul that looked to be on the horizon last year in the wake of the pandemic never quite materialized, there are still many designers working to revolutionize the airplane cabin.

Always keeping an eye on the latest updates and innovations is the Crystal Cabin Awards, known for spotlighting the newest trends in airplane interiors.

From stretching out your legs on the bottom section of a multi-level economy seat cabin to curling up in a compartment built into the overheard locker, the nominees offer a glimpse into the potential future of flying.

Dual level cabin
210528110837-chaise-longue-image-3-lands

One of the most intriguing concepts on the Judges' Choice shortlist is the Chaise Longue Economy Seat Project, which envisages a dual-level seat cabin, with each row alternating between on-floor seating, and seats elevated a few meters above ground.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 2:49 PM, Florgon79 said:

The last time I can remember enjoying a flight was my honeymoon. My wife saved up enough airlines miles that we flew an Asian airline direct from San Fran to Hong Kong. Granted we were in business class with fully reclining seats in our own pods, the service was amazing. Apps, Desserts, Breakfast, Snacks, After Dinner digestifs, hot towels to wash my face...man that was the life. There were some highlights of our honeymoon and honestly the flight there and back was one of them. 

Every domestic flight I've been on in the last 20 years has sucked ass on some level or other. Before that international flight was better but in general it seems to have gotten worse. I remember flying Air France to see family and slowly over time the service got worse and worse. 

For me it was Hawaiian.  They gave you this cool little meal and plane didn’t feel cramped 

Just now, DCSaints_fan said:

For me it was Hawaiian.  They gave you this cool little meal and plane didn’t feel cramped 

Good to know. I flew there on Alaskan and it wasn't great.

58 minutes ago, China said:

These double-decker airplane cabin concepts could be the future of flying

Airplane seat designers have long been dreaming up innovative economy cabin concepts, looking for the ideal balance between squeezing in as many passengers in as possible, and keeping the experience relatively enjoyable for fliers.

And while the stand-up airplane seats that have been floating around for the past few years have yet to see the light of day, and the airplane seat overhaul that looked to be on the horizon last year in the wake of the pandemic never quite materialized, there are still many designers working to revolutionize the airplane cabin.

Always keeping an eye on the latest updates and innovations is the Crystal Cabin Awards, known for spotlighting the newest trends in airplane interiors.

From stretching out your legs on the bottom section of a multi-level economy seat cabin to curling up in a compartment built into the overheard locker, the nominees offer a glimpse into the potential future of flying.

Dual level cabin
One of the most intriguing concepts on the Judges' Choice shortlist is the Chaise Longue Economy Seat Project, which envisages a dual-level seat cabin, with each row alternating between on-floor seating, and seats elevated a few meters above ground.

Lower level is going to get a lot of farts to the face.

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Good to know. I flew there on Alaskan and it wasn't great.

Lower level is going to get a lot of farts to the face.

Attendant announcement: "Our in-flight meal will be cheesy bean burritos."

Upper level: "Yay!"

Lower level: "Noooooo!!!"

Edited by Dan T.
  • Haha 4

Southwest Airlines not resuming alcohol service after assault on flight attendant

Southwest Airlines said Friday it will not resume alcohol service as planned after the recent assault on one of its flight attendants, according to an internal memo obtained by CNN.
The airline had planned to resume serving alcohol on some flights starting in June.

On May 23, a Southwest passenger was arrested on suspicion of felony battery causing serious injury after she allegedly struck a flight attendant during a flight from Sacramento to San Diego, according to a statement from the Port of San Diego Harbor Police Department.

"The passenger repeatedly ignored standard inflight instructions (tray table in upright position, seat belt, etc.) and became verbally and physically abusive upon landing," Southwest Airlines spokesman Chris Mainz told CNN.

Sonya Lacore, Southwest's head of in-flight operations, wrote in the memo related to alcohol service that "based on the rise in passenger disruptions in flight, I've made the decision to re-evaluate the restart of alcohol service on board."

Earlier Friday, Southwest said it banned the woman accused of assaulting the flight attendant on Sunday and knocking out two of her teeth.