Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

American Airlines not quite ready to serve alcohol yet, at least in economy

As other airlines have slowly resumed serving alcohol in their main cabins after a pandemic-induced hiatus, American Airlines is still not convinced that people will behave. So it’s putting off the resumption until early next year at the very least, reports USA Today. This pertains specifically to economy class, as first class passengers are still allowed to purchase alcohol. I’m assuming that people will still be sneaking booze onto airplanes on their own, however, taking advantage of airport to-go cups meant to be imbibed at the gate.

The original plan was to restart alcohol sales this summer, but apparently the airline wasn’t convinced that was a good idea just yet. It planned to bring back alcohol on September 13.

American’s senior manager of flight service policies and procedures, Stacey Frantz, said regarding alcoholic beverage sales, “We are doing all we can to help create a safe environment for our crew and customers onboard our aircraft.”

Southwest Airlines is still not serving alcohol, either, because some people couldn’t handle it. Booze was supposed to be back as an option on June 24 for Hawaiian flights, with most flights resuming the practice on July 14. After a flight attendant was physically assaulted, though, the airline nixed the idea. At this point Southwest doesn’t even have a timeline as to when sales will resume.

God damnit I was hoping when I head to Aruba for my 40th at the end of November I could have a few on the flight.  I'm flying SW but it's not looking like that will be happening.

No drinks on the flight is by far the worst part about flying recently.  And in the grand scheme of things, it's really not a big deal at all.  But it's definitely relaxing.

8 hours ago, purbeast said:

God damnit I was hoping when I head to Aruba for my 40th at the end of November I could have a few on the flight.  I'm flying SW but it's not looking like that will be happening.

No drinks on the flight is by far the worst part about flying recently.  And in the grand scheme of things, it's really not a big deal at all.  But it's definitely relaxing.

Just get sauced before the flight.  Typically better options anyway

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

It's not the same, and it's way more expensive too.

Really?  I have ordered alcohol on a flight maybe two or three times in my life but it always seemed like you had to pay alot for a ridiculously small serving.  Like $10 for maybe a half shot of Jack Daniels.

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Really?  I have ordered alcohol on a flight maybe two or three times in my life but it always seemed like you had to pay alot for a ridiculously small serving.  Like $10 for maybe a half shot of Jack Daniels.

Beer and wine are free on international flights...at least on United.

11 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Clearly an amateur.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Currently sitting in the Dallas airport. My plane had A FLAT TIRE. Should be boarding soon, 2 hours later. 

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Are you surprised an airplane can get a flat tire?

I'm surprised he wasn't in the airport bar drinking while waiting to board.

• Haha 1

My flight back was even worse.  Flight from Tucson to Chicago was delayed by multiple hours, so they switched me to a flight to Houston, also delayed, but "only" 2 hours.  The landing was the roughest I've ever experienced.  The Army ranger I was sitting next to and had a good convo with was like "that was rougher than the landings I've had jumping OUT of planes."  I got into National at half past midnight. 

The one positive was during the delay at Tucson, I was sitting within listening distance of an irate Karen for who the delay was going to cause her to miss her cruise.  She was demanding that United pay for the whole cruise.  Lady, United probably saved your life, WTF are you thinking going on a cruise right now?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My flight back was even worse.  Flight from Tucson to Chicago was delayed by multiple hours, so they switched me to a flight to Houston, also delayed, but "only" 2 hours.  The landing was the roughest I've ever experienced.  The Army ranger I was sitting next to and had a good convo with was like "that was rougher than the landings I've had jumping OUT of planes."  I got into National at half past midnight. 

The one positive was during the delay at Tucson, I was sitting within listening distance of an irate Karen for who the delay was going to cause her to miss her cruise.  She was demanding that United pay for the whole cruise.  Lady, United probably saved your life, WTF are you thinking going on a cruise right now?

Were you flying Spirit or Frontier?

• Haha 1

So I'm going to see my folks next week for the first time in 2 years. 5hr flight from SFO to National and then a 4hr+ drive from National to Southern WV. All interstate (66/81/64). 

May not leave their house much with the Delta variant on the rise in WV. 

Fun times. 🤪

Edit..I did load up the tablet with a **** load of Netflix and Disney+. The Witcher cartoon dropped so that will be the first watch on thr plane. 😆

Edited by The Evil Genius

23 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

So I'm going to see my folks next week for the first time in 2 years. 5hr flight from SFO to National and then a 4hr+ drive from National to Southern WV. All interstate (66/81/64). 

Fun times. 🤪

Edit..I did load up the tablet with a **** load of Netflix and Disney+. The Witcher cartoon dropped so that will be the first watch on thr plane. 😆

Make sure to load up the Untold documentary about Malice in the Palace.  It's awesome.  I watched that on my flight back from Puerto Rico last week (and played Switch the rest).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unruly passenger arrested after growling, swearing on flight

A Las Vegas man who berated a flight crew and fellow passengers on a plane Monday has been cited for public intoxication and disorderly conduct.

He growled like a dog while taking his mask on and off his face, gave the middle finger and swore at flight attendants, later yelling “God bless America” and screaming “Joe Biden!” according to video taken by fellow passenger Dennis Busch.

It happened on a flight from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City. Busch also wrote on Facebook that the man verbally targeted an Asian woman, saying she and her companion “didn’t belong here.”

The 61-year-old man was arrested at the gate where he was checked out at a hospital and cited, authorities said. No attorney was immediately listed in court records.

American Airlines confirmed the incident in a statement. The company also thanked the crew for their professionalism and customers for their understanding.

Rowdy airline passengers had racked up a record $1 million in potential fines this year, a toll of the tumult in the sky. Airlines had reported about 3,900 incidents of unruly passengers as of mid-August. Three-fourths involve refusal to wear a mask and alcohol was a common factor, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

On 8/27/2021 at 10:01 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Fun times. 🤪

just did the 5 hr flight from Sacramento to Dulles for the first time in 2 years. glad to hear you're not flying into Dulles. The D Gate there after I landed was probably the most I've been scared of Covid since it started

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 9:30 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Currently sitting in the Dallas airport. My plane had A FLAT TIRE. Should be boarding soon, 2 hours later. 

A couple weeks ago I was on a plane that blew a tire while we were flying down the runway at a couple hundred MPH during takeoff. They threw on all the brakes and reverse thrust, which apparently caused some damage, so the ground crew towed back and we had re-board a new plane. The off-duty pilot sitting next to me didn’t even look up from his iPad, so I guess this happens more often than you might think?

12 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

just did the 5 hr flight from Sacramento to Dulles for the first time in 2 years. glad to hear you're not flying into Dulles. The D Gate there after I landed was probably the most I've been scared of Covid since it started

Dulles is the worst ****ing airport in existence.

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Dulles is the worst ****ing airport in existence.

its a true disgrace to the american transportation system. one of the busiest airports out there, but they cant afford to update the D gate (and STILL use those shuttle things that were out of date decades ago)..

everyone that works there always act completely miserable, and i don't blame them one bit

• Like 2