Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

Just got back from Belize and it was fantastic being able to order my usual double jacks while flying.  It just takes the edge off a bit.

Also had to take a puddle jumper to/from the mainland of Belize.  And damn if only the flying experience was like that.  You literally get to the airport like 15 minutes before your flight and just get on the plane so quickly.  Then departing is just as fast too and you are out of the airport like 5 minutes after the plane lands.  Would be so awesome if big flights were like that but obviously never will lol.

E0k8VfZ.jpg

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

On 4/12/2022 at 9:55 AM, purbeast said:

Also had to take a puddle jumper to/from the mainland of Belize.

Stayed on San Pedro? That’s where we stayed. 

loved Belize. Though as someone who doesn’t like flying, I was not a fan of the puddle jumper. 

logistics were cool. 

plane, no. 

39 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Hah. We took United to Belize and went through Texas and yeah from Texas to Belize we were on a plane with like 60 church people doing that **** minus the guitar accompaniment 

Btw that video doesn’t do the awfulness justice. 

because those people never shut the **** up. 

They don’t sit together. They’re all over the damn plane. And when they aren’t singing they’re still talking about Jesus. Across the plane. It was maddening. 

if you didn’t get arrested for causing problems on a plane you could do something about it. But you’re forced to just sit there for hours dealing with that bull ****

35 minutes ago, tshile said:

Hah. We took United to Belize and went through Texas and yeah from Texas to Belize we were on a plane with like 60 church people doing that **** minus the guitar accompaniment 

Btw that video doesn’t do the awfulness justice. 

because those people never shut the **** up. 

They don’t sit together. They’re all over the damn plane. And when they aren’t singing they’re still talking about Jesus. Across the plane. It was maddening. 

if you didn’t get arrested for causing problems on a plane you could do something about it. But you’re forced to just sit there for hours dealing with that bull ****

Shoulda tried magic tricks

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Stayed on San Pedro? That’s where we stayed. 

loved Belize. Though as someone who doesn’t like flying, I was not a fan of the puddle jumper. 

logistics were cool.

Yeah I will definitely be back.

Puddle jumper was pretty damn smooth generally speaking.  Ride back right after takeoff we felt a bit of wind like the first 15 seconds or so but then smoothed out.  The landing was super smooth too.

Smoothest landing I've ever had was in the Keys on a seaplane lol.  I couldn't believe how smooth it was.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

This man is trolling his airline with PowerPoint presentations to find his missing bag

We all know that sinking feeling when you're at baggage reclaim, waiting for your bag to arrive -- and everyone else seems to be getting theirs first. Normally, you're predicting something that won't happen -- your bag pops out just as you think it's lost forever. But some unlucky people's worst fears are realized -- and sometimes, that means losing precious items of huge sentimental value.

Elliot Sharod was one of the unlucky ones on April 17. He and his new wife, Helen, were flying back from their wedding in South Africa, where Sharod used to live, to their home in the UK.

It had been the trip of a lifetime -- their wedding was first booked for 2020, before being rescheduled for 2021, right before Omicron hit.

Finally, they had made it. "It was everything to us -- we were coming off an absolute high of it finally happening, finally being married in a place that was special to us."

They checked three bags for their complex trip home: Johannesburg to Abu Dhabi; Abu Dhabi to Frankfurt; and Frankfurt to Dublin. The booking was with Etihad, which had run a direct Abu Dhabi to Dublin route when they'd booked; but had canceled it during the pandemic, and switched them on to an Etihad route to Germany, and then a codeshare with Aer Lingus to Dublin.

From Dublin -- the starting point for their trip, since flights were much cheaper -- they were due to fly again with Aer Lingus to London Heathrow.

Only, when they reached Dublin, their bags didn't turn up.

Luckily, Sharod had a secret weapon: Airtags.

He'd bought three of the Apple products, which emit tracking alerts via Bluetooth, and hidden one in each suitcase.

"I did it because our itinerary was quite robust -- we were traveling through multiple airports," he says. "It was more for security on the way down -- the wedding dress and suit weren't in our cases, but it was for peace of mind."

So he and Helen had watched in real time, relieved, as their cases arrived planeside at Frankfurt. Just one problem -- when they checked again, the cases had moved to a gate area at Frankfurt. They'd never been loaded onto the plane.

"We were annoyed, frustrated and tired by that point, but still optimistic -- we thought, hey, they'll stick it on a flight," he says. "We didn't think any more of it."

Aer Lingus staff said they'd route the bags from Frankfurt to London, to deliver them to the Sharods' home address in Surrey, outside the capital.

And indeed, the following night, at 10 p.m., a courier arrived. The only problem: there were just two bags.

Click on the link for the full story

• 2 weeks later...

Unruly passenger opens United plane’s emergency exit, slides down wing

A passenger aboard a United Airlines flight was arrested for opening an emergency door and sliding down a wing of a moving plane after it landed in Chicago early Thursday, officials said.

Flight 2478 from San Diego touched down at O’Hare International Airport about 4:30 a.m. and was taxiing to the gate when the man pulled the door off and stepped onto the wing, the airline told The Post.

“Our ground crew stopped the individual outside of the aircraft, and the person is now with law enforcement. The plane then arrived at the gate and all passengers deplaned safely,” a United rep said in an email.

One of the passengers on the red-eye flight described the surreal scene on the tarmac.

“I think everybody on the plane was just surprised and kind of shocked as he was going out,” Maryellen Eagelston told WGN News.

“I heard everybody yelling, ‘No, no, no’ and he just went out the exit door and onto the wing. … Even the stewardesses came back and said, ‘What just happened?’” she recalled.

chicago-airlines-emergency-door-02.jpg?q

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

And in local news...

Man cited after TSA agents find 23 weapons packed inside carry-on bag

A man was cited by police after Transportation Security Administration officers located a stash of 23 weapons in his carry-on bag at a checkpoint at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

Locking-blade knives, a dagger, disposable scalpels, martial arts throwing knives and a pair of brass knuckles were discovered as the bag was placed in the checkpoint's X-ray machine on Wednesday.

knives-dca-2-02-ht-iwb-220505_1651771900

8 hours ago, China said:

And in local news...

Man cited after TSA agents find 23 weapons packed inside carry-on bag

A man was cited by police after Transportation Security Administration officers located a stash of 23 weapons in his carry-on bag at a checkpoint at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

Locking-blade knives, a dagger, disposable scalpels, martial arts throwing knives and a pair of brass knuckles were discovered as the bag was placed in the checkpoint's X-ray machine on Wednesday.

knives-dca-2-02-ht-iwb-220505_1651771900

That is some bull**** for real.

I got arrested and locked up at BWI cause I had a switch blade in my backpack back in the day that I did not realize.

Dude has 23 knives/weapons and he just gets a ticket.

So here's my airline horror story of this morning.

We're flying to Amsterdam tomorrow evening. We get texts late last night that the flight(United) got cancelled but obviously didn't see it until this morning. 

Thankfully we scramble and manage to find another direct nonstop to Amsterdam via Air France/KLM at roughly the same time(half hour earlier, whatever). 

Originally it costs 38,000 miles per ticket. Mid booking, the cost shoots up to 46,000. No biggie, Chase currently has a transfer bonus, so we manage to have just enough to book em.

The cost now? Like 150,000. One way. For ECONOMY. Or you can pay over $750 cash.

Eff the greedy price gouging airline industry. 

Edited by Warhead36
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

So here's my airline horror story of this morning.

We're flying to Amsterdam tomorrow evening. We get texts late last night that the flight(United) got cancelled but obviously didn't see it until this morning. 

Thankfully we scramble and manage to find another direct nonstop to Amsterdam via Air France/KLM at roughly the same time(half hour earlier, whatever). 

Originally it costs 38,000 miles per ticket. Mid booking, the cost shoots up to 46,000. No biggie, Chase currently has a transfer bonus, so we manage to have just enough to book em.

The cost now? Like 150,000. One way. For ECONOMY. And if you wanna pay cash? It went from ~$700 this morning to over $7,000. No typo. 

Eff the greedy price gouging airline industry. 

I'm assuming you talked to United. I thought they would honor the original deal. 

I had something similar happen a couple of months ago with a flight to Anguilla in August. American emails & says problem with a flight to Anguilla. The return was changed and had us flying to Dulles (we live in Richmond). Flight out doesn't exist anymore so we had no way to get there. Originally going for 5 days and had to change it to 7. BUT, they kept the price & points the same.