Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racism in America.... Is it worse now after the 2016 election?

brandymac27

Kinda interesting to juxtapose  people in this country that objected to statues and monuments to racism coming down, talking about "you're trying to erase history", with the ones that don't want stuff like the Tulsa massacre taught in schools.  Probably a lot of the same people.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

As I learn about the Red Summer and the Tulsa Massacre after reading histories like Rough Crossings, I am constantly surprised how much of our country's history is left out.  It's not like we have thousands of years worth of history, but there seems to be a lot we don't disclose.  I mean Rough Crossings taught me stuff like what happened to slaves during our Independence war.  However, there seems to be a vast history we are not taught in most schools.  So I will start with this open question.  

What are the top 5 moments in U.S. history not usually mentioned in any U.S. history classes?  I would prefer racial history because of the impacts they may have on my kids as it is a part of their cultural history which I wasn't taught growing up.  However, I like history.  So I am curious what isn't taught.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

Kinda interesting to juxtapose  people in this country that objected to statues and monuments to racism coming down, talking about "you're trying to rewrite history", with the ones that don't want stuff like the Tulsa massacre taught in schools.  Probably a lot of the same people.

And don't forget, who are working on trying to whip up a frenzy of outrage by endlessly repeating the phrase "cancel culture".  

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

Kinda interesting to juxtapose  people in this country that objected to statues and monuments to racism coming down, talking about "you're trying to rewrite history", with the ones that don't want stuff like the Tulsa massacre taught in schools.  Probably a lot of the same people.

Statues are history but the Tulsa massacre is identity politics.

Edited by Cooked Crack

6 hours ago, gbear said:

What are the top 5 moments in U.S. history not usually mentioned in any U.S. history classes?  I would prefer racial history because of the impacts they may have on my kids as it is a part of their cultural history which I wasn't taught growing up.  However, I like history.  So I am curious what isn't taught.

3 race-specific events that occurred because "former" Confederates got mad that blacks had power and decided to do something about it:

New Orleans Massacre of 1866:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_massacre_of_1866

Colfax Massacre
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/1873-colfax-massacre-crippled-reconstruction-180958746/

The Wilmington Coup/Massacre:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_insurrection_of_1898

A couple that aren't race specific, but are class related so often intentionally overlooked:
Haymarket Riot:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_affair

Coal Wars-specifically the Battle of Blair Mountain:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2022's war over racism

With or without Donald J. Trump atop the party, the Republican strategy for the 2022 elections and beyond virtually assures race — and racism — will be central to political debate for years to come. 

Why it matters: In an era when every topic seems to turn quickly to race, Republicans see this most divisive issue as either political necessity or an election-winner — including as it relates to voting laws, critical race theory, big-city crime, immigration and political correctness. 

The big picture: These topics pit the mostly white GOP against the very diverse Democratic Party. It's unfolding in local school boards, national politics and on social media.

An Axios-Ipsos poll on race relations last month shows this starkly, Axios managing editor Margaret Talev writes:

There's a massive gulf between how Republicans and Democrats view race — a 66-point gap on whether the U.S. must continue making changes to give Black Americans equal rights to white Americans. 

There's a 48-point gap on whether the events of the past year led to a realization there's still a lot of racism in the U.S. — and a 49-point gap on whether the protests were good for society.

Of all demographic groups, white people were the most resistant to structural reforms to address institutional racism — a gap driven by Republican sentiment.

Here's where the GOP sees an opening: In our poll, just one in five white independents supports the "defund the police" movement.

Half of white independents say the media exaggerates stories of police brutality and racism.

Two in five white independents say social policies, including affirmative action, discriminate unfairly against white people.

Those issues prime this slice of the electorate for messaging that paints Democrats as extreme on issues around race.

Click on the link for the full article

Veteran's microphone cut off when he discusses Blacks' role in establishing Memorial Day

What at first blush appeared to be a short audio malfunction at Monday's Memorial Day ceremony in Markillie Cemetery turned out to be anything but.

A ceremony organizer turned off the microphone when the event's keynote speaker, retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter, began sharing a story about freed Black slaves honoring deceased soldiers shortly after the end of the Civil War.

The microphone was turned down for about two minutes in the middle of Kemter's 11-minute speech during the event hosted by the Hudson American Legion Lee-Bishop Post 464.

Cindy Suchan, who chairs the Memorial Day parade committee and is president of the Hudson American Legion Auxiliary, said it was either her or Jim Garrison, adjutant of American Legion Lee-Bishop Post 464, who turned down the audio. When pressed, she would not say who specifically did it.

Suchan said organizers wanted this part excluded because it “was not relevant to our program for the day," and added the “theme of the day was honoring Hudson veterans.” 

Kemter said he wanted to use his speech to share the history of the origin of Memorial Day. Afterward, he noted, he received "numerous compliments" from attendees who told him “it was nice to hear the history.” 

“It was well-received,” Kemter said, adding many people told him, “I never knew that.” 

He expressed disappointment with the event organizers' actions.

“I find it interesting that [the American Legion] … would take it upon themselves to censor my speech and deny me my First Amendment right to [freedom of] speech,” Kemter said. “… This is not the same country I fought for.” 

On 6/3/2021 at 12:04 AM, China said:

Veteran's microphone cut off when he discusses Blacks' role in establishing Memorial Day

What at first blush appeared to be a short audio malfunction at Monday's Memorial Day ceremony in Markillie Cemetery turned out to be anything but.

A ceremony organizer turned off the microphone when the event's keynote speaker, retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter, began sharing a story about freed Black slaves honoring deceased soldiers shortly after the end of the Civil War.

The microphone was turned down for about two minutes in the middle of Kemter's 11-minute speech during the event hosted by the Hudson American Legion Lee-Bishop Post 464.

Cindy Suchan, who chairs the Memorial Day parade committee and is president of the Hudson American Legion Auxiliary, said it was either her or Jim Garrison, adjutant of American Legion Lee-Bishop Post 464, who turned down the audio. When pressed, she would not say who specifically did it.

Suchan said organizers wanted this part excluded because it “was not relevant to our program for the day," and added the “theme of the day was honoring Hudson veterans.” 

Kemter said he wanted to use his speech to share the history of the origin of Memorial Day. Afterward, he noted, he received "numerous compliments" from attendees who told him “it was nice to hear the history.” 

“It was well-received,” Kemter said, adding many people told him, “I never knew that.” 

He expressed disappointment with the event organizers' actions.

“I find it interesting that [the American Legion] … would take it upon themselves to censor my speech and deny me my First Amendment right to [freedom of] speech,” Kemter said. “… This is not the same country I fought for.” 

Follow-up:

Ohio American Legion wants resignations after audio cut in Memorial Day speech on Black people’s role honoring fallen Union soldiers

The Ohio American Legion is calling on the organizers of a Memorial Day ceremony to resign after they turned off a speaker’s microphone when the former U.S. Army officer began talking about how freed Black slaves had honored fallen soldiers soon after the Civil War.

Retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter said he included the story in his speech because he wanted to share the history of how Memorial Day originated.

But organizers of the ceremony in Hudson, Ohio, said that part of the speech was not relevant to the program’s theme of honoring the city’s veterans.

Cindy Suchan, chair of the Memorial Day parade committee and president of the Hudson American Legion Auxiliary, said it was either she or Jim Garrison, adjutant of the American Legion Post 464, who turned down the audio, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

The Ohio American Legion said Thursday that it was investigating.

• Like 2

Video Shows Woman Defacing Bust of York on Mount Tabor With Purple Spray Paint

A video taken this morning on Mount Tabor shows a woman railing against a bust of York, the only Black member of the Lewis and Clark expedition, moments after she defaced the bronze statue with purple spray paint.

“It’s love and unity,” the woman says, “not to replace a white man with a ****ing Black man. That’s not ****ing unity.”

The woman, who appears distressed, is holding two cans of spray paint while standing in front of the bust, which is covered in purple scrawl. The bust of York appeared in February after protesters toppled a statue of Harvey Scott that previously stood on the site.

Social-media posts suggest that the woman returned later that morning to add further spray paint to the pedestal.

Edited by China

On 6/1/2021 at 10:53 AM, redskins59 said:

Republicans making a big deal out of critical race theory.  I did not know this was going on in Loudoun county of all places. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/us/politics/critical-race-theory.amp.html

Nevada group proposes forcing teachers to wear body cameras to ensure they don't teach critical race theory

the gop/trumpy basefolk are like seals only not as smart...'critical race theory' is a fresh fish and they will clap their fins together and bark in excitement and do tricks

they don't know what it means, in the decades it's been around they never heard of it until a few months (or weeks) ago, or even would have been able/willing to understand the base concept, nor will they do any non-partisan reading about it but by golly they will be frothing all over now with a new toy to play with

other than the actual "criminal element" in the nation, i'm hard pressed to think of a more willfully/naturally stupid and malign demo then this trump-centric gop base

18 hours ago, GhostofSparta said:

I'm sure even if it passes, teachers are smart enough to figure out how to make them "accidentally turn off" or "malfunction" as often as the police.

i've got some new lesson plans for the "nevada group"

ramsay 2.jpg

• Like 2

:ols:

They seriously referred to white plantation owners who lost what they had because all of their slaves were freed as "refugees."

"What are these poor Nazi concentration camp officers to do now that they've lost their jobs and may have a hard time feeing their families? They have a story to tell too! Let's talk about their plight during Holocaust Remembrance Day this year."

Edited by mistertim

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

the gop/trumpy basefolk are like seals only not as smart...'critical race theory' is a fresh fish and they will clap their fins together and bark in excitement and do tricks

they don't know what it means, in the decades it's been around they never heard of it until a few months (or weeks) ago, or even would have been able/willing to understand the base concept, nor will they do any non-partisan reading about it but by golly they will be frothing all over now with a new toy to play with

other than the actual "criminal element" in the nation, i'm hard pressed to think of a more willfully/naturally stupid and malign demo then this trump-centric gop base

i've got some new lesson plans for the "nevada group"

ramsay 2.jpg

flaying? Hunting dogs? Breaking a person’s soul (making a new Reek)?

White boys who grew up with Black neighbors are more likely to become Democrats, study finds

Scientists studying U.S. census rolls from the 1940s have discovered a surprising pattern: White men who grew up one door down from a Black neighbor were more likely to register as Democrats 70 years later — even when compared to other whites from the same neighborhood.

The findings, described in the journal Science Advances, suggest that young boys exposed to people of different backgrounds may grow up to be more liberal-minded adults.

"White men who had a Black neighbor in 1940, compared to white men who did not, are more likely to be associated with racially liberal politics, as indicated by their registration with the Democratic Party even as late as 2017," the authors wrote.

It’s an idea supported by converging lines of evidence from economics, political science, psychology and sociology, said Linda Tropp, a social psychologist at the University of Massachusetts Amherst who was not involved in the study.

As diversity rises in the U.S. and other western countries, it has been met with stiff resistance from some quarters, said Ryan Enos, a political scientist at Harvard University and one of paper’s lead authors.

“One thing we know from a lot of academic research — and we know this from just our own two eyes — is that there can often be negative consequences of [diversity] because some people aren't comfortable with it,” Enos said.

Recent history in the U.S. provides a host of examples. Enos pointed to the 2016 election of Donald Trump, a Republican who took office following the nation’s first Black president, Barack Obama, a Democrat.

On the campaign trail, Trump courted voters with rhetoric frequently deemed racist or xenophobic. It was Trump supporters who led the deadly Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol following the former president’s attempts to cast doubt over his reelection loss.

But many researchers argue that the negative reactions to diversity, including discrimination and social and political instability, are short-term effects — and that diverse societies can grow to be very successful in the long run.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, China said:

White boys who grew up with Black neighbors are more likely to become Democrats, study finds

Scientists studying U.S. census rolls from the 1940s have discovered a surprising pattern: White men who grew up one door down from a Black neighbor were more likely to register as Democrats 70 years later — even when compared to other whites from the same neighborhood.

The findings, described in the journal Science Advances, suggest that young boys exposed to people of different backgrounds may grow up to be more liberal-minded adults.

"White men who had a Black neighbor in 1940, compared to white men who did not, are more likely to be associated with racially liberal politics, as indicated by their registration with the Democratic Party even as late as 2017," the authors wrote.

It’s an idea supported by converging lines of evidence from economics, political science, psychology and sociology, said Linda Tropp, a social psychologist at the University of Massachusetts Amherst who was not involved in the study.

As diversity rises in the U.S. and other western countries, it has been met with stiff resistance from some quarters, said Ryan Enos, a political scientist at Harvard University and one of paper’s lead authors.

“One thing we know from a lot of academic research — and we know this from just our own two eyes — is that there can often be negative consequences of [diversity] because some people aren't comfortable with it,” Enos said.

Recent history in the U.S. provides a host of examples. Enos pointed to the 2016 election of Donald Trump, a Republican who took office following the nation’s first Black president, Barack Obama, a Democrat.

On the campaign trail, Trump courted voters with rhetoric frequently deemed racist or xenophobic. It was Trump supporters who led the deadly Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol following the former president’s attempts to cast doubt over his reelection loss.

But many researchers argue that the negative reactions to diversity, including discrimination and social and political instability, are short-term effects — and that diverse societies can grow to be very successful in the long run.

Thats what I've been saying, diversity is the key here. Now, go out and bang someone from a different race. Hell, go out and bang a different species! Be a trailblazer!

• Haha 1