Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racism in America.... Is it worse now after the 2016 election?

brandymac27

3 hours ago, clietas said:

What a racist pos. He's been arrested and charged with assault. Hopefully his military career is over. 

Soldier charged after video of confrontation with Black man

A white Army non-commissioned officer depicted in a viral video accosting and shoving a Black man in a South Carolina neighborhood has been charged with third-degree assault.

Jonathan Pentland, 42, was charged Wednesday and listed as detained in the Richland County jail and issued a personal recognizance bond, according to online jail records, which did not show him as having an attorney.

Officials at Fort Jackson, the U.S. Army’s largest basic training facility, said Wednesday they were looking into the incident. On one of its Twitter accounts, base officials also said that U.S. Department of Justice authorities were investigating as well.

According to social media accounts connected to Pentland, he has been stationed at Fort Jackson since 2019 and has worked as a drill sergeant at the garrison, a 53,000-acre complex that trains 50% of all soldiers and 60% of women who enter the Army each year.

Asked on Twitter for his response to the video, Fort Jackson Commanding Brig. Gen. Milford H. Beagle Jr. said the behavior displayed in the video “is by no means condoned by any service member.”

“We will get to the bottom of this ASAP,” he said.

On his official Facebook page, Beagle said Army officials “have begun our own investigation and are working with the local authorities.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Woman pleads guilty to hate crime charges after police say she ran over a girl because she 'was a Mexican'

An Iowa woman who told police in 2019 that she ran over a girl because she "was a Mexican" pleaded guilty Wednesday to federal hate crime charges, according to court records filed in the US District Court for the Southern District of Iowa.

Nicole Marie Poole Franklin had actually been involved in three separate racist incidents in December 2019, according to two police departments.

• Sad 1

Rick Santorum’s messy anal sex problem is back to haunt him once again

Twice-failed-presidential-candidate-turned-CNN-commentator Rick Santorum was trending all day yesterday after video of him making racist remarks about Native Americans hit the internet.

The video was taken during a speech Santorum gave last Friday at a white supremacist rally Young America’s Foundation conference, during which he proudly stated that the culture of the United States was birthed by “Judeo-Christian” values.

“We came here and created a blank slate. We birthed a nation from nothing,” he claimed. “I mean, there was nothing here. I mean, yes we have Native Americans, but candidly there isn’t much Native American culture in American culture.”

Not long after that, gay sex columnist Dan Savage was also trending after he responded to Santorum’s remarks by sharing the video on Twitter, along with the caption: “The frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex says what?”

And just like that, everyone was reminded of the nearly 20-year-old feud between the two men, which began back in 2003 when Savage held a content asking people to come up with a definition for the word “santorum” in response to the then-U.S. senator’s extreme antigay views.

The winning definition ended up being: “The frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex.” Then Savage created a website, spreadingsantorum.com, to promote definition, which went on to become the top search result anytime a person googled “Rick Santorum.”

• Haha 4

White mom goes viral after she cries that she’s “not a racist, dammit!” at school meeting

A video of a white mother breaking down in tears about how she’s “not a racist, dammit!” at a Missouri school district’s community forum has gone viral.

Controversy was stirred up in the Rockwood School District in St. Louis’s suburbs about possible “critical race theory” being taught in schools. Administrators said that they were getting angry emails about things that aren’t even being taught in school from parents who were mad that anyone was talking about “white privilege,” and the emails got so threatening that the school district had to increase security.

This led to an angry “community conversation” event last Friday, where hundreds of parents – mostly white – calling for critical race theory to be banned from the curriculum, even though teachers and administrators didn’t even know what critical race theory is.

Teachers at the Rockwood School District got a message from the administration telling them that parents have been calling and sending emails, angry about “critical race theory” being taught in schools.

“I had to look this one up!” the administrator wrote, admitting they had never even heard of critical race theory. They said that any lesson in the district that mentions the history of racism in the U.S. – or even uses words associated with discussing oppression like “gender norms, stereotypes, identity, relationships of authority, etc.” – are getting lumped into “critical race theory” and generating anger among white parents.

• Haha 5

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Even if they are teaching critical race theory to grade school kids I don't see the problem with it. 

CRT is loosely unified by two common themes:

tenor.gif

4 minutes ago, clietas said:

Even if they are teaching critical race theory to grade school kids I don't see the problem with it. 

You don't understand.  

Teaching people that racism exists is a threat.  To the people who vote based on their fear of their race losing their position of superiority.  

I mean, next they'll be teaching that the Civil War was about slavery.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2

Oh, I assume most of them are aware that the South lost.  

Most of them just aren't happy about it.  

2016 poll, of likely Republican voters in the SC primary.  36% of voters are glad the North won the Civil War.  (Question 27 of the poll).  24% among people intending to vote for Trump.  (Breakdown on p. 17 of the pdf.)  

An earlier poll, in 2011, looked at the entire state population (rather than just GOP primary, voters).  

% of state population who are glad the North won the Civil War:.  (% of all Republicans)

Georgia: 53% (47%)

No Car:  48% (35%)

Mississippi: 34% (21%)

(Both polls hasten to point out that, while the numbers glad the North won may be small, it's bigger than the numbers cheering for the South, because of the large numbers who are "Not Sure".  Sorry.  Not buying it.  Anybody who's "not sure" who they wish had won the Civil War, is a racist who doesn't want to say so.)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Larry said:

Both polls hasten to point out that, while the numbers glad the North won may be small, it's bigger than the numbers cheering for the South, because of the large numbers who are "Not Sure".  Sorry.  Not buying it.  Anybody who's "not sure" who they wish had won the Civil War, is a racist who doesn't want to say so.

right. Same as when a poll asking “how you feel about suicide bombing markets” has an “unsure” option. 

ok. But that means you’re still on the wrong side.... 

it’s like the article that went around months ago “when I look around and see nazis...”

one option is slavery is still a thing. 

doesn’t really matter what option B is, it’s the correct option. 

• Like 1

Indianapolis homeowner files discrimination complaint after removal of Black identifiers leads to $100,000 appraisal increase

A housing discrimination complaint filed by a Black Indianapolis homeowner alleges that after she removed items from her home that identified her race and asked a white male friend to sit in on an appraisal, the value of her home jumped more than $100,000.

Carlette Duffy filed the complaint in conjunction with the Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana, or FHCCI. Last year, Duffy decided to jump in on the hot housing market and refinance her home in a historically Black neighborhood just outside downtown Indianapolis. Duffy planned to use her equity to purchase her grandparents’ home nearby.

After two home appraisals came back close to the price she paid for the home in 2017, Duffy thought something was wrong.

“When I challenged it, it came back that the appraiser said they’re not changing it,” Duffy said.

After Duffy saw FHCCI Executive Director Amy Nelson speak to a community group about discrimination in housing appraisals, where she pointed to a recent New York Times article about the issue, she decided to try her own test.

“I decided to do exactly what was done in the article,” Duffy said. “I took down every photo of my family from my house. … I took every piece of ethnic artwork out, so any African artwork, I took it out. I displayed my degrees, I removed certain books.”

Duffy asked a white male friend to sit in on the home appraisal and did not declare her race in her application or communications with the appraisal company. The new appraisal came back at more than double the first two, valuing her home more than $100,000 higher.

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, China said:

When I was a kid, in the 60's,  I walked to my elementary school every day. It was my house, then the vacant lot, then the Palmer's house, then the school. (The Palmers were black.)

I don't really remember the Palmers much. They didn't have kids, so to me they were just people my parents talked to. 

And when I was a kid, I saw news on TV, about race riots and protesters and fire hoses and police dogs and national guard troops and governors in schoolhouse doors.

And it bothered me a little. But it was something that happened somewhere else. In "the South", or Harlem (wherever that was). Places that were ugly. Not like where I was, where everything was happy and we didn't have those problems. 

Just like it wasn't weird to me that my elementary school had a TV camera that was the size of Mom's VW bug, and a video recorder on wheels the size of the dining room table. I didn't know that my mom had chosen for us to move to the most desirable elementary school in our college town. The school which the University of Illinois used as their test tube school to try out the latest education the world had to offer. 

It wasn't till I was grown, and made a comment about how we didn't have racism where I grew up, that my parents told me that, when the Palmers, two college instructors at the University of Illinois, bought their house across the street from the best elementary school in the college town, they hired a white couple to impersonate them. 

The white couple went to the realtor. Hired an agent. Got driven around to various homes. Made an offer. Shook hands. 

And every time they were given a contract or something, they would sheepishly explain that they were taught to never sign anything without completely reading it first. And they would "take the papers home to read". And the real Palmers would sign the papers. And the white couple would deliver the signed papers. 

As closing day appeared, the Palmers debated whether to get in the car and just drive past the house they were buying. Not even stop. But they decided they couldn't risk it. 

And on closing day, the real Palmers showed up at the bank, to take possession of a house they had never seen. 

I think of that a lot, for example, when Republicans are insisting that racism doesn't exist in America any more. (Well, except against white, Christian, males.)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Black Americans And The Racist Architecture Of Homeownership

Owning a home is an undeniable part of the American dream — and of American citizenship. It is also the key to building intergenerational wealth. But Norrington's homeownership success story is an increasingly rare one for Black Americans.

Over the last 15 years, Black homeownership has declined more dramatically than for any other racial or ethnic group in the United States. In 2019, the Black homeownership rate was about as low as in the 1960s, when private race-based discrimination was legal.

The story of housing discrimination is rooted in a long history of racist government policies perpetuated by the real estate industry and private attitudes that began with slavery. The federal government began to push and expand homeownership in the New Deal era through innovations like the 30-year mortgage.

But one way Black people and other minority groups were left out systematically was through a process known as "redlining" which labeled certain areas as "risky" for a home loan. African Americans and immigrants were relegated to areas, marked in red on government-sponsored maps, where poverty was most concentrated and housing was deteriorating.

‘Infiltration,’ ‘Blighted,’ ‘Subversive’: 1939 Descriptions Of LA Neighborhoods Highlight Racist Housing Policies
In Los Angeles, predominantly Black or minority neighborhoods such as Sugar Hill received “C” or “D” grades and racist “area descriptions” from the federally sponsored Home Owners’ Loan Corp. Majority-white areas, where racial covenants often restricted Black residents, received higher grades and positive reviews.

The Fair Housing Act of 1968 recognized segregationist practices like redlining to be unconstitutional. But the law only prohibited future, formalized discrimination rather than undoing the foundationally racist landscape on which homeownership in America was built.

The vicious cycle and legacy of redlining has persisted: Residents of redlined communities struggled to receive loans to buy or renovate their homes, which led to disrepair and a decline of a community's housing stock. That in turn forced businesses to close and depressed tax revenue, diminishing school funding.

Defense attorneys ask judge to allow Ahmaud Arbery's past run-ins with the law into the trial

Attorneys representing the three White men accused of chasing and killing Ahmaud Arbery want to be allowed to tell a jury about Arbery's past run-ins with the law during the upcoming trial.

Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man, was fatally shot while on a jog in February 2020. Father and son Gregory and Travis McMichael and William Bryan have been charged with murder in a state trial as well as federal hate crimes charges.

In a pre-trial hearing Wednesday, attorneys argued to introduce evidence Arbery's criminal convictions as well as confrontations he had with law enforcement over a seven-year span leading up to his killing in a coastal Georgia subdivision.

State prosecutors argued Arbery's criminal record was in no way relevant to the actions the three men took that day, chasing him through the subdivision armed with guns and using pickup trucks.

WAUSAU, Wis. — A standing-room-only crowd packed a drab courthouse meeting room one recent night and tried to resolve a thorny, yearlong debate over whether Marathon County should declare itself “a community for all.”

The lone Black member of the county board, Supervisor William Harris, stood up and begged his colleagues who opposed the resolution to change their minds.

“I want to feel like I’m a part of this community,’’ he said. “That’s what a lot of our residents are saying. We want to contribute to our community. We want to feel like a part of this community.”

But a fellow board member was just as passionate at the meeting on Thursday in arguing that acknowledging racial disparities is itself a form of racism.

Arizona sheriff's immigration patrols to cost public $200M

The costs to taxpayers from a racial profiling lawsuit stemming from former Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s immigration patrols in metro Phoenix a decade ago are expected to reach $202 million by summer 2022.

Officials approved a tentative county budget Monday that provides $31 million for the cost of complying with court orders in the fiscal year that begins on July 1. No one can say exactly when the costs from the 13-year-old lawsuit will start to decline.

The growth in spending “is enough to make any of us cry as we’re trying to be fiscal stewards of the county taxpayer money,” Supervisor Clint Hickman said.

Taxpayers in Arizona’s most populated county are on the hook for lawyer bills and the costs of complying with massive court-ordered overhauls of the sheriff’s office after a 2013 verdict concluded Arpaio’s officers had profiled Latinos in traffic patrols that targeted immigrants.

Arpaio, known for a tough-on-crime approach in his 24 years as sheriff that included forcing jail inmates to wear pink underwear and housing them in tents in triple-digit desert heat, targeted illegal immigration and was convicted of criminal contempt for disobeying a court order to stop his immigration patrols. His misdemeanor conviction was later pardoned by then-President Donald Trump.

The taxpayer spending is expected to continue until the Maricopa County sheriff’s office has fully complied with overhauling its traffic enforcement and internal affairs operations for three straight years.

Although some of the agency’s numbers are near or at 100%, the sheriff’s office hasn’t yet been deemed fully compliant.

Attorneys who pressed the case against the sheriff’s office have criticized the agency for traffic-stop studies since the profiling verdict showing deputies often treat drivers who are Hispanic and Black differently than other drivers, though the reports stopped short of saying Latinos were still being profiled.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit, before I watched the special on the Tulsa destruction of Black Wall Stree last night, I did not know about the red Summer preceding it.  I didn't know that every state in the Union had racially motivated killings.  That is crazy.  I did not know how wide spread the KKK and their sentiment was.

I also can't believe they didn't teach about the massacre until a couple of years ago.  Of course, I didn't know about it until the Watchmen got me to look up the basis for the story.  My daughter and I watched a special on it at 10 pm last night, 100 years after the first shot ( I think it started at 10pm Eastern time).  We have come a long way in 100 years, but I also cringe at the wealth stolen and destroyed for so many families.  That we would make a museum to it, one that will presumably charge money and bring in some tourism without giving a thing back to the community from whom so much was taken, is sad.  How will it help/benefit the Black community of Tulsa from whom so much was taken?  If it is just to make money in donations or tourism dollars the community will never see, then it is just one more way the establishment benefits from the plight of the Black population.  

• Like 1