Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

If there’s one guy that could fix (mainly by mitigating other problems) their problems, I think it’s Murray.  

More to the point though, this is a surprising stance from a member of an FO that believes we’re “close”.  Glad to see at least someone seems to get it.  Of course, Gruden and Allen have to believe (or at least say) we’re close or they likely wouldn’t have their jobs right now. 

I’m not sure we’ll have the opportunity to trade down in the first, but to maximize our chances at filling the plethora of holes we have, I think it makes sense to try.  

The circle of life mediocrity. Every year we win an extra 2 or 3 meaningless games to get to that coveted 7-9 win threshold. Then come draft time we either have to settle for players that aren't game-changers or we have to beg the question "should the Redskins trade a ton of picks to move up?". 

So on the one hand we're "almost there",  if not for the Smith injury, but on the other hand, we aren't in a position to be moving multiple picks for a QB. A bit of conflict in those two positions. You either have a lot of holes to fill or you're "close" (presumably with Alex Smith's injury being the shadow hanging over an otherwise good roster, from their POV). If a talented rookie contract QB isn't one of the final pieces in their minds, then they're even lying to themselves that they think we're "close". 

13 minutes ago, dyst said:

The circle of life mediocrity. Every year we win an extra 2 or 3 meaningless games to get to that coveted 7-9 win threshold. Then come draft time we either have to settle for players that aren't game-changers or we have to beg the question "should the Redskins trade a ton of picks to move up?". 

Am with you on that, the circle of mediocrity has a heavy price.    On one hand, I love the idea of shooting high, go get a star for a change.  On the other hand, they have so many holes and can they afford to make a mistake?  It's a catch 22. 

I don't think Doug has anything to gain by saying they won't trade up.   Gettleman for example said he would trade up adding no guts no glory.  So for example you'd want the Giants to fear the Redskins among other things where they'd think they have to trade up versus just sit back and have Haskins fall in their lap.  So if I were the Redskins i'd find some excuse to walk that Doug comment back when they get another opportunity even if they don't mean it. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On another note, I have to listen to his podcast, Cooley supposedly likes Murray, Jones and to a lesser extent Finley but doesn't think that highly of Haskins -- sees him as a 2nd rounder.  I guess I have to listen, i'll get to it soon. 

A second rounder?!

Yeah.....

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On another note, I have to listen to his podcast, Cooley supposedly likes Murray, Jones and to a lesser extent Finley but doesn't think that highly of Haskins -- sees him as a 2nd rounder.  I guess I have to listen, i'll get to it soon. 

Not that it really matters but I can promise you that body fat number is inaccurate 

8 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

A second rounder?!

Yeah.....

I just listened to his part about Jones,.  I haven't heard his Haskins take yet but he referred back to Haskins when talking up Jones.  Cooley was talking up the Virginia Tech game big time.  I don't recall if I watched that one so I'll circle back to it.  He was a bit all over the place on Jones in praising him.  Going on about how he just had tougher and by extension that will help him in the NFL.  Praising him for how he knows how to check down and he likes Qbs who can check down when need be.  He likes his toughness in the pocket -- actually so do I that's the one thing I've praised him on in a heavy handed way.   He likes that he make plays when the pocket breaks down and that's good training for the NFL because pockets are rarely clean.  At the same time he criticizes him for what he does when under pressure.   Says he likes him a lot but also says he doesn't like him so much that he would trade up for him.

On Haskins I can tell from listening to his side comments amidst talking up Jones that some of it is he thinks his numbers are inflated because of his supporting cast and he is too skittish under pressure.  

It doubles back to me like I said the other day that Jones is probably the most polarizing QB with draft geeks I can recall.  And Lock ironically might be the 2nd most polarizing.    For me, I still don't get it about Jones -- he's at the bottom or close enough on just about every stat category I put up here from draft study after study.   And the eye test doesn't do it for me either.  But maybe my mind will change after the combine. Doubt it.  But I'll try to keep an open mind.  😯

12 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Just skimming through the last few pages, but has the general consensus softened about trading up for a QB?

Don't know about most but I always have thought it was a bad idea, especially given a fanbase on the edge.  I also thought it would be a bad move for Allen/Gruden if they really thought the team was close. I can, however, get on board with a project guy later. Given that we actually had only one defensive score, a defense that also only created a few SFOs and why many analysts seem to think we have such a hard time getting off the field on third downs, I actually wonder if we should focus on an edge. Of course, we also had problems avoiding negative rushes so a guard or a blocking TE might also be leading candidates (especially if we can get a true two-way TE)

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

How are they measuring body fat?  1.6% is impossible, he'd literally be dead as his organs have no internal body fat for cushioning.

It’s not technically impossible talked to a buddy of mine whose a competitive power liftter and personal trainer he said there’s no way that’s accurate. Said top body builders train their whole lives and take tons of drugs to get down to 1-1.5% for a day or two for a show but I highly doubt D.K. Was able to get down to 1.6% 

Cooley on Haskins said he was surprised at what he saw because of the hype and Haskins big time stats.  He ended up watching 5 games.  His take is he's not athletic at all, slow feet.  He didn't run much pro concepts -- really basic offense.   They run about 7 base passing concepts almost as simple as a HS offense.  Struggled with pressure.   Fumbles a lot of snaps.  Struggles on the move with pressure.   His anticipation is just average.   He needs to see the receiver open to make the throw typically.  He gets stuck on the #1 receiver too often.  He predetermined much of his reads.  He is poor at it and late as to getting to his check down.  His touch is sketchy -- can't complete a swing route.    His throws sail too much in the middle of the field.

He can make every throw, has a strong arm and has a quick release but misses open receivers too often.   The ball is behind on his outbreaking routes too much with the ball being on the back hip way too often.  He got away with a lot of bad passes that could have been INTs.   He can make big throws in big situations.  But he thinks on the aggregate he's a project.    He thinks in the NFL he will get rattled after seeing pressure.  He thinks if he starts next year he will lead the league in sacks and will have more INTs than people would expect.  He wouldn't take him until the 2nd round.   If he dropped to the 15th pick, he wouldn't take him.    He think he has potential though. 

17 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

It’s not technically impossible talked to a buddy of mine whose a competitive power liftter and personal trainer he said there’s no way that’s accurate. Said top body builders train their whole lives and take tons of drugs to get down to 1-1.5% for a day or two for a show but I highly doubt D.K. Was able to get down to 1.6% 

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley on Haskins said he was surprised at what he saw because of the hype and Haskins big time stats.  He ended up watching 5 games.  His take is he's not athletic at all, slow feet.  He didn't run much pro concepts -- really basic offense.   They run about 7 base passing concepts almost as simple as a HS offense.  Struggled with pressure.   Fumbles a lot of snaps.  Struggles on the move with pressure.   His anticipation is just average.   He needs to see the receiver open to make the throw typically.  He gets stuck on the #1 receiver too often.  He predetermined much of his reads.  He is poor at it and late as to getting to his check down.  His touch is sketchy -- can't complete a swing route.    His throws sail too much in the middle of the field.

He can make every throw, has a strong arm and has a quick release but misses open receivers too often.   The ball is behind on his outbreaking routes too much with the ball being on the back hip way too often.  He got away with a lot of bad passes that could have been INTs.   He can make big throws in big situations.  But he thinks on the aggregate he's a project.    He thinks in the NFL he will get rattled after seeing pressure.  He thinks if he starts next year he will lead the league in sacks and will have more INTs than people would expect.  He wouldn't take him until the 2nd round.   If he dropped to the 15th pick, he wouldn't take him.    He think he has potential though.

I'm listening to it now.  He mentions some stuff about concepts and plays he can't run.  I don't think he fits Gruden's offense.  I know he doesn't fit McVay's or Shanahan's.  Cooley thinks he can't run a zone read offense.  This sounds like the dream scenario for the Redskins is that he goes in the first 14 picks, which he's likely to do anyways.

I need to listen to his take on Jones, because I just don't see it.

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I think it pretty much is impossible if you want to live. From my understanding anything under 3% for a guy and you basically have a body that's about to break down.

If Metcalf actually came in at that BF, then I'm hoping they took him directly to the hospital after the weigh-in. As it was in those pictures posted before it looked like he was at around 6% which is still damn low. 

If we are talking Non QB’s in the round one My three players are Hockenson, Devin White, or the best Tackle/Guard available (that we plan to play at G) in that order. The Hockenson selection would assume we either cut Vernon or drastically reduce his salary. Or keep Vernon and trade J Reed for a 3rd. 

42 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm listening to it now.  He mentions some stuff about concepts and plays he can't run.  I don't think he fits Gruden's offense.  I know he doesn't fit McVay's or Shanahan's.  Cooley thinks he can't run a zone read offense.  This sounds like the dream scenario for the Redskins is that he goes in the first 14 picks, which he's likely to do anyways.

I need to listen to his take on Jones, because I just don't see it.

I just listened to his ones on Murray and Finley.  He loves Murray, says he'd trade next years 2020 #1 to trade up for him.  He likes Finley but doesn't think he's dynamic enough to be worth more than a third rounder.   Yeah I don't agree with him on Jones.  As for Haskins, I haven't watched him since the season ended so haven't really studied him.  I'll get to it.  Looks like he's doing 4 QBs tomorrow including Lock and Stidham. 

Cooley is big in the mix of his reviews as to what kind of people-leaders these QBs are as to that being important but says he has no idea on that front as to what kind of guys they are so is talking purely about their play.

Archived