Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

So maybe we should draft a couple again. It's not overkill. Would it be a bad thing if we came out of the draft with say Jones/Lock and Stidham or Rypien.

Pick your combination, might be a sound investment whilst we see out the Alex Smith contract and probably let McCoy play his final year here.

Yes, it might be a bad thing.  We all agree that the Skins need a starting quality QB and need to restock the back-up pipeline.  However, in order for the backups to develop as we hope they are going to need repetitions.   The primary backup will be running the scout team.  But the QB coach is going to be hard pressed to devote significant time to two rookies.

You also have to consider which players you are passing on to acquire two QBs in one draft.  Lets say the team considers Jones/Lock to have potential but not great potential.  Do you pass on Hockenson if he's available?  What about a high first round graded Edge rusher?  Similarly, Stidham/Rypien may be good ideas for a backup if you don't get Jones/Lock but what if to get both you have to pass on Hockenson AND your desired Guard project?

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm not sure how.  They'd hurt the cap pretty fiercely. 

Collins is a great box safety that can handle flat/under zones well.  He struggles in Cover 2 and can't do Man.  He's unfortunately not as versatile as Swearinger who we cut.  He'd also cost a boatload, and we don't have the personnel to fit him in seamlessly.

Funchess is similar to Doctson.  Why pay more for more of the same?   http://pfref.com/tiny/dPsoU

Receiving
Rk Player Year G Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng
1 Josh Doctson 2018 15 44 532 2 12.1 32
2 Devin Funchess 2018 14 44 549 4 12.5

The cap is fine. Collins is coming here if he isn't tagged. 

Kinda agree on Funchess to a degree. But he did have a down year generally, stats aside. I think he'd be an asset to a young QB. Plus, Doctson matched his stats having had a career year. Pretty sure we aren't going to take up his final year option as well.

So yes, I do agree Funchess does become a sort of luxury FA signing in our circumstance. But you'd pay for him in 2019 by cutting McGee and restructuring Davis at TE and Brown at ILB. Depends how we approach and tackle the existing roster evaluations. Plenty of options.

21 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Yes, it might be a bad thing.  We all agree that the Skins need a starting quality QB and need to restock the back-up pipeline.  However, in order for the backups to develop as we hope they are going to need repetitions.   The primary backup will be running the scout team.  But the QB coach is going to be hard pressed to devote significant time to two rookies.

You also have to consider which players you are passing on to acquire two QBs in one draft.  Lets say the team considers Jones/Lock to have potential but not great potential.  Do you pass on Hockenson if he's available?  What about a high first round graded Edge rusher?  Similarly, Stidham/Rypien may be good ideas for a backup if you don't get Jones/Lock but what if to get both you have to pass on Hockenson AND your desired Guard project?

Cousins was a great selection as the second QB we picked in the same draft. better not derail the thread, but personally I do see value in going for two QBs. 

Also, this team is totally ****ed at QB. I am not even bringing TE and LG into the draft war room argument if as an organisation we need a QB and that's our focus as we enter the draft.

I think I'd rather swing and miss on two QBs as opposed to seeing Mark Sanchez try and get the ball to Hockenson.

I don't see us drafting an OT. We still have Williams and Moses locked in to long term deals. We could go OG again but, ugh, as good as Sherff has been do we really want to spend another 1st rounder on an interior OL? We need dynamic gamechanging playmakers.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't see us drafting an OT. We still have Williams and Moses locked in to long term deals. We could go OG again but, ugh, as good as Sherff has been do we really want to spend another 1st rounder on an interior OL? We need dynamic gamechanging playmakers.

You also need time for those "gamechanging playmakers" to get open with top notch trenches protecting the QB and giving him time... works both ways.

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

You also need time for those "gamechanging playmakers" to get open with top notch trenches protecting the QB and giving him time... works both ways.

I don't disagree, but I don't think our pass protection was that much of an issue last year even with Scherff getting hurt, and Scherff's return alleviates a lot. And they ran block well enough for a 33 year old to run for 1000 yards. The issues on offense are clear: no explosive skill players and no QB that would even be considered league average.

But playmakers can also be had on D with a pass rusher or ball hawk in the secondary.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I don't disagree, but I don't think our pass protection was that much of an issue last year even with Scherff getting hurt, and Scherff's return alleviates a lot. And they ran block well enough for a 33 year old to run for 1000 yards. The issues on offense are clear: no explosive skill players and no QB that would even be considered league average.

But playmakers can also be had on D with a pass rusher or ball hawk in the secondary.

Agree, we picked Christian last year as our OT depth/project to work on. we need a LG, I'd say third round this year. 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

If those positions happen to be BPA, by all means, but don't pass up on building the lines if they are also BPA... it's a difference of philosophy. Better line play elevates the play of those behind them

Just now, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Agree, we picked Christian last year as our OT depth/project to work on. we need a LG, I'd say third round this year. 

that's moving away from BPA though, unless the third round comes along and there happens to be a G/OT at that slot that you can't pass up. Personally, I think the 2nd this year is where there will be some good options who will also be BPA.

4.62 isn’t great for Montgomery, IMO.   Not terrible, but sub 4.6 would have been nice to see.  Some team could bite in the 2nd, but it’s looking like the 3rd-4th for him now I think.  I’d consider him in that range (shoutout to @stevemcqueen1 for bringing him to my attention), but I’d probably go a different route... especially with guys like Miles Gaskin, Darrien Thompson, Wes Hills and Bryce Love likely available in the 5th-6th.  

As for oline, if Ford, Williams and Taylor are gone by 15, and Risner, Lindstrom are gone by our 2nd, I wonder what we do.  Good chance Jonah Williams is available at 15, but with that arm measurement...

9 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Good, let him be drafted by the Giants.... he's garbage

If he's drafted by the Giants, I'd be a happy camper.

Just your Avg Fly Guy   @MCREDSKINS

FollowingFollowing @MCREDSKINS
More

Just your Avg Fly Guy  Retweeted Mariaimdrunk

Please NY Giants draft Jones at #6

Just your Avg Fly Guy  added,

Mariaimdrunk @PeckinsMatt
Todd McShay: "Daniel Jones is not what everyone thinks he is. I think he's more of a 3rd rounder/backup. He's very average, everything is a short throw, he's inconsistent with his accuracy." If someone takes Jones in RD1 RIP to that NFL team.
Show this thread
12:20 PM - 1 Mar 2019

•  

Good quarterbacks don’t sit until the 3rd round. It’s incredibly rare, and shouldn’t ever happen. If you see a quarterback you think could have high upside as a starter, you take him sooner than later. Waiting for the possibility that they fall while relying on colt McCoy to run the team is foolish. 

Was listening just now to Finlay, he said among the Qbs interviewed, Lock and Stidham are the most impressive.  He thinks they can trade up for QBs if they come up a little but doesn't think it would be a big trade up.

I like Ridley, more polished route runner than some of the others in this draft

Reading between the lines does Jay like a piece of DK Metcalf. Specifically getting bigger at WR is a Jay quote. 

Are we we going to draft a first round QB to basically back up McCoy? A day two QB seems more viable. I really don't like going WR early, but could we? 

Thought the Bruce Allen comment was interesting that we were all set and planning to trade back until J. Allen was still sat there. Think we had a 2/3/4 on offer for that pick. I bet we'd love a similar offer this year for that #15 pick.

We could do very well with 2x2nds and 3x3rds, with a 4th back on our board.

Archived