Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Harry's time is solid given his size, but he doesn't compare favorably to the other big WRs like Butler and Metcalf.

Campbell has elevated himself to second round territory.  Maybe even first given the size/speed combo but his route tree is probably the least developed among any of the other high round WRs.

Freak athlete.  He's elevated himself too because his tape isn't that good.  He's a potential unpolished gem and I think the measurables could get him picked day two.

Ive wondered why he's not in that early draft conversation.  What's the concern with his tape?  Is it route running?  I remember watching him make play after play on Saturdays, but haven't had the time to dissect him. 

I take this a little seriously because Finlay pre-combine was the reporter throwing cold water on the idea that they are poised to make a splash.  Now after talking to people down there he thinks they are poised to do something.  I said before, last year the beat guys got a pretty good feel for what they planned to do in the draft and they got that right.  If you go through that Finlay article it gives the vibe they love Kyler Murray.  And he wouldn't be shocked if they traded up.  

My thought on Murray though is doesn't matter if they love him, I doubt Arizona trades that pick -- I think they take Murray versus trading the pick.

It’s obvious the Redskins need a quarterback, and many with the team think very highly of Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray.

Jay Gruden said publicly he expects Murray to be an excellent NFL quarterback and that the size questions that lingered before the NFL Scouting Combine are not an issue. Murray measured at 5-foot-10 and more than 200 pounds, similar to Russell Wilson. In fact, Doug Williams dismissed the size issue for Murray by pointing out Wilson’s success.

If the ‘Skins brass speaks that highly of Murray publicly, imagine what the team is saying privately.

Still, Washington might not have the capital to move up in the draft and select Murray, even if they do want him. The chances of the 2018 Heisman winner as the potential No. 1 overall draft pick seem quite real.

That doesn’t definitively mean the ‘Skins won’t move up for another passer. While word is the team doesn’t want to give up a first-round pick for Brown, that could be different for a rookie quarterback. The organization might look differently at a swap of first-round picks to go get a QB, along with a player or later round pick. Allen seemed quite disinterested in trading up when he spoke in Indy, but almost every NFL executive says they won’t trade up. Then every year multiple NFL teams trade up for a quarterback.

There doesn’t seem to be clear consensus within the Redskins organization about other passers like Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock or Daniel Jones like their is for Murray though.

There’s also what could happen if Murray does go No. 1.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Peter Schrager just went the player getting the hype from today's workouts from personnel guys he's talked to is Drew Lock and apparently he's a really good interview, too. 

Yeah i heard the same thing.. they said he reminded people why he was viewed as the top QB coming into this past season 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Peter Schrager just went the player getting the hype from today's workouts from personnel guys he's talked to is Drew Lock and apparently he's a really good interview, too. 

I agree with this assessment, and Schrager would know, as he’s well connected. Lock’s live arm, the feel and touch on most of his throws (struggled a bit on throwing to the sidelines on the right side of the field), and his confidence, all stole the show. And his footwork looked better than expected too. 

A couple of other observations... Haskins looked fairly pedestrian in many ways, including the slow footwork on dropbacks. I also thought Daniel Jones looked better than expected on arm strength and deep accuracy, and had the best footwork of the first group. No idea what that one observer who said he had nothing on his throws was talking about. Still don’t like him for our pick, but in fairness to him he looked much more polished than most of his grouping. 

Jackson looks like an athlete, but his mechanics make him a huge project. And Grier seems to be one of those guys who has it when the pads are on, but looked pretty erratic and nondescript in the drills. This is why it’s so hard to judge QBs. 

Personally, I wouldn’t want to spend a first rounder on anyone not named Murray or Lock in this draft. Just my 2 cents. 

Just now, Stormy said:

Personally, I wouldn’t want to spend a first rounder on anyone not named Murray or Lock in this draft. Just my 2 cents. 

I've liked but not loved Lock for a long time -- I am starting to like him even more.    Earlier in this process, I was saying if Murray falls to #9 I'd consider trading up if it was just a third.  That's obviously out the window now.    So am close to saying the same thing about Lock.   I think you'd have to leapfrog Denver who supposedly loves him at 10. 

I don't always agree with Cooley but I often do.  Cooley gushing about Lock yesterday added some more fuel to my thought.  Ditto hearing Lock saying yesterday he tries to model himself after Rodgers by enjoying throwing from all sorts of odd platforms and angles.  That's part of what I've dug about Lock. 

If we don’t land a qb in round 1, I’d try like hell to trade back and add a 3rd or some such.  Should be a lot of good G or G/T prospects to choose from in the late 1st.  

I really like the dbs that might be available with our 2nd - Abram, Adderley, Gardner, Thornhill, Joejuan Williams, Lonnie Johnson, Julian Love, Oruwariye, etc... but I also think it’s a good spot to land a dynamic receiver.  It’s an interesting dilemma though - receiver is the bigger need (and more exciting), but I like the depth of the receiver class a lot more.  I could see another trade back for a 4th/5th.  

Winding up with 5 or 6 picks from the 3rd-5th gives you a chance to land some talented/intriguing prospects at ILB, TE, WR, QB, and RB.  I’m not big on the edge prospects after Winovich and Walker (who I think will go late 1st-mid 2nd), but landing Porter Gustin in the 3rd would be exciting.  

Bottom line, I think we need a starter at LG and receiver, hopefully a future starter at TE, and competition at ILB, corner, edge and qb.  

Don't see Gruden changing his stripes, but if we ran more uptempo practices, you could run more reps to help with a qb ‘competition’ (among other positions) - Colt and a mid rounder like Stidham, Finley, etc. 

McLaurin runs effortlessly... If he shows up with hands in the drills....

DK Metcalf just hit a 4.33...  Were approaching Calvin Johnson territory with him as a prospect arent we? 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

my guy Terry McLaurin with a 4.36.  

Metcalf with a 4.33 -- wow, top 10 now?

I knew i liked your opinion ;)

31 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

DK Metcalf just hit a 4.33...  Were approaching Calvin Johnson territory with him as a prospect arent we? 

Yeah 27 bench presses, hardly an inch of body fat, and 4.33 -- insane.  Some said he's a physical freak in the mode of the Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson types -- I guess thats so.  Wonder if he did the broad jump-vertical yet.

31 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

McLaurin runs effortlessly... If he shows up with hands in the drills....

Yeah I've been on McLaurin recently.  Big senior bowl.  Deep threat.  Special teams stud.  Decent bench press too for his size.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah 27 bench presses, hardly an inch of body fat, and 4.33 -- insane.  Same said he's a physical freak in the mode of the Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson types -- I guess thats so.  Wonder if he did the broad jump-vertical yet.

Looks like his vertical was 40.5, though it still says unofficial. That's nuts. Megatron was 42.5 inches so DK is not far off; Julio was 38.5. DK's 40 was a hair faster than Megatron's (4.35) and faster than Julio's (4.39).

I think with this he's a lock as top 10, maybe even top 5.

Someone else mentioned it before, but I'd honestly be a little worried about PEDs with him. It's insanely hard to get THAT jacked and shredded without either PEDs or spending the vast majority of your time and focus on actually getting that cut as your singular goal. 

34 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

Is Metcalf for real or is this another workout warrior destined for Kevin White status?

It's a fair question.

Metcalf's tape is definitely good but he ran mostly simple vertical route concepts in college (though that isn't really his fault). His route running in general leaves a bit to be desired IMO...rounds out his routes and isn't especially sudden in and out of his breaks; he definitely relied mostly on his freaky athleticism in college. Very good against press coverage and not purely because of his size...he also uses his hands well against jams. He has too many drops that seem like losses of concentration. He'll make circus grabs on occasion but those other drops irk me a bit.

Definitely a high upside pick. Not the most pro-ready guy but if he can/will learn more complex route trees and focus on becoming a better route runner he could end up being a true difference maker elite #1 WR in the NFL.

Just now, mistertim said:

His route running in general leaves a bit to be desired IMO...rounds out his routes and isn't especially sudden in and out of his breaks

He pretty much said Gruden told him that during his interview with us.

@Skinsinparadise I noticed McLaurin’s time and though of you.  If he can show some polish, he could push himself a lot higher than his projected 5th round status.  

Hall’s 40 and broad jump should really help him as well.  He’s another that would help themselves showcasing route running skills. 

Metcalf - just insane combine for him. As @stevemcqueen1 said, Brown’s 40 probably pushes him to early 2nd at worst.  

In the mocks I’ve done, Campbell is usually there in the 5th... that would shock me.  His hands are a bit suspect, but I think he goes 3rd round latest (I’ve thought 2nd, maybe early 3rd from the get go).  

And yeah, that’s not a smart way to address things for Polite...

Edit: I’m a little surprised by the 40s/3 cones for some of the TEs.  Moreau (in the vert too) and Wesco put up nice marks.  

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I think with this he's a lock as top 10, maybe even top 5.

Problem is he isn't as big as Calvin Johnson was and he didn't produce anywhere close to either of them.  At this stage, he's still a one dimensional player who has essentially only run two routes.  As such, I don't think he's got top five value.  But he should go first half of the first based on upside.

Archived