Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

But Oklahoma basically uses an Air Raid system as well. Dana Holgorsen and Lincoln Riley are both directly from the Mike Leach Air Raid coaching tree. WVU and OK both use that system and variations of it as well as plenty of RPO, so to me the system thing rings pretty hollow when comparing those guys and their stats. Both Air Raid QBs, both playing in the Big 12. 

I would add that the complaints about (and failures of) Air Raid qbs tend to relate to going through post snap reads, and panicking when their first read isn’t open (particularly if the rush is getting home).  

Grier’s a bit of a double edged sword in this regard.  He’s calm enough in the pocket and does go through his reads.  He can also pretty consistently put throws into good coverage where only his guy can get it.  

On the flip side, while Grier has the athleticism to make guys miss, he sometimes either stays in the pocket too long (effectively going through too many reads), or bails late and gets tracked down before he can get the ball out of his hands.  

There’s a gray area with him too.  When he’s in the pocket too long, is he sometimes getting confused by defenses?  Is he waiting until a guy has gotten separation and is clearly open?  To me, he’s shown the ability to throw with anticipation, to throw guys open, and to hit guys that are well covered, so I would tend to answer no (or at least not often) to the above questions.  I can certainly understand why others might see this differently.  

All in all, I don’t see Grier falling in line with most air raid qbs, so I can see him having success at the next level.  The question for me is more about whether a team will 1) support him (allow him to go through the ups and downs as he learns), and 2) incorporate some Air Raid principles to ease his transition to the pros.  

Daniel Jones, Duke

How will his personality play in an NFL locker room? Jones' coach at Duke, David Cutcliffe, also mentored the Manning brothers. And word out of the school is Jones' personality is more Eli than Peyton -- which interviews at the Senior Bowl confirmed. "Usually meeting a quarterback, they shake your hand and just take over the interview, and that was not the case," an AFC scout said. That's not necessarily a problem, though it does raise potential questions about how quickly Jones will be able to command a team of grown men. He didn't go from a grayshirt to a two-year captain at Duke for no reason, though. He's regarded there as tough, authentic, always around the building, always putting in the time.

"One of his best friends is one of the assistant equipment managers," an NFC scout said. "He'll come in and scrub his own [footballs], takes care of himself -- just not a lot of pompousness or arrogance about him. They say he's just a very likeable guy. And they thought he could be a face-of-a-franchise type of guy -- he's a great locker room guy, but just that quiet leader." Teams accustomed to Type-A quarterbacks will have to get comfortable with that approach. The rest of Jones' makeup is strong, and no one questions his aptitude. "They're not all perfect, because (Joe) Flacco won, Eli wins," a college scouting director said, "but man, it's hard to pull that card when you don't feel like they've got a lot of juice for your team."

How strong is his arm? Scouts say it's good enough, but those concerned about Jones' ceiling say limitations show up when he's throwing downfield. At times, the ball seems to float. "It may be a mechanical thing more than an arm strength thing," an NFC scout said. "It may be base, transferring weight, being able to [have] the ball explode off his hand, because you did see him speed it up at times." Whatever the cause, Jones' arm is the biggest hang-up for those scouts who have him a notch down from one or more of the other QBs. "I don't have a problem with it," an AFC scout said. "I really don't, because he throws with such great anticipation and timing." Jones completed just 59.9 percent of his passes over three seasons at Duke and some scouts do point to inconsistent accuracy, but drops were a huge problem for an underwhelming supporting cast. "I think his arm is strong. And I think he's getting stronger now," said David Morris, another Cutcliffe protege who has trained Jones since he was a high school sophomore. "Physically, he looks great. I think he feels really confident about where he is on all the throws that they'll throw at the combine and it should show up, that he can go toe-to-toe with any of those guys that have 'big arms.' "

How's the medical report? No issues are expected, but Jones broke the collarbone on his left (non-throwing) side in September -- and returned less than three weeks later, with a plate and screws inserted to stabilize the bone. Teams will want to make sure that healed correctly as part of the overall picture on a player who took a lot of hits in college.

Drew Lock, Missouri

Can he put it all together? This question really encompasses everything for Lock, who has a huge arm, excellent athletic ability, durability, work ethic, a gregarious personality and all the physical traits teams look for ... but he didn't emerge as the clear-cut QB1 in this draft after throwing 44 touchdown passes as a junior in 2017 and opting to return to school. The consensus is Lock heads into the combine third or fourth on this list, but he has the skills to rise through the process. "He's got the best arm of the group. His arm strength is amazing. He can really, really zip it," an NFC executive said. "Sometimes, he's just a little inconsistent." Another veteran evaluator said he was frustrated watching Lock's tape because there's so much ability -- "Wow, arm talent," the evaluator said -- yet there were multiple games in which he was waiting for Lock to elevate the team in critical moments and it didn't happen. "While he can make some special throws downfield and on the intermediate stuff, he just needs more footwork and mechanic consistency," a college scouting director said. "I'm not talking about throwing the ball -- he can do that fine. (Missouri OC and QBs coach) Derek Dooley did a good job with him, but he just needs more time." Lock told me at the Senior Bowl that being perfect with his feet in the pocket has been a big emphasis in his work with QB coach Jordan Palmer, who also helped Josh Allen smooth out his feet and mechanics before last year's draft. He'll try to show off the progress Saturday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018918/article/2019-nfl-scouting-combine-biggest-questions-for-top-four-qbs

just for a change, we often talk about the 2nd round, here's a mock today from Kadar that includes the 2nd

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2019/2/25/18238454/2019-nfl-mock-draft-three-rounds-combine-devin-white-kyler-murray-dwayne-haskins

SECOND ROUND

33. Arizona Cardinals: Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State

34. Indianapolis Colts (via New York Jets): Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State

35. Oakland Raiders: Gerald Willis, DT, Miami

36. San Francisco 49ers: Kelvin Harmon, WR, NC State

37. New York Giants: Mack Wilson, LB, Alabama

38. Jacksonville Jaguars: Noah Fant, TE, Iowa

40. Buffalo Bills: Jerry Tillery, DL, Notre Dame

41. Denver Broncos: Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia

42. Cincinnati Bengals: Devin Bush, LB, Michigan

43. Detroit Lions: Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama

44. Green Bay Packers: Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M

45. Atlanta Falcons: Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College

46. Washington: A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

47. Carolina Panthers: Taylor Rapp, S, Washington

48. Miami Dolphins: Jaylon Ferguson, DE, Louisiana Tech

49. Cleveland Browns: Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa State

50. Minnesota Vikings: Isaiah Buggs, DL, Alabama

51. Tennessee Titans: N’Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State

52. Pittsburgh Steelers: Charles Omenihu, DE, Texas

53. Philadelphia Eagles (via Baltimore): Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State

54. Houston Texans (via Seattle): Anthony Nelson, DE, Iowa

55. Houston Texans: Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt

56. New England Patriots (via Chicago): Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois

57. Philadelphia Eagles: D’Andre Walker, Edge, Georgia

58. Dallas Cowboys: Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia

59. Indianapolis Colts: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, CB/S, Florida

60. Los Angeles Chargers: Max Scharping, OT, Northern Illinois

61. Kansas City Chiefs: Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple

62. New Orleans Saints: Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford

63. Kansas City Chiefs (via Los Angeles Rams): Joe Jackson, DE, Miami

64. New England Patriots: Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

just for a change, we often talk about the 2nd round, here's a mock today from Kadar that includes the 2nd

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2019/2/25/18238454/2019-nfl-mock-draft-three-rounds-combine-devin-white-kyler-murray-dwayne-haskins

SECOND ROUND

46. Washington: A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

64. New England Patriots: Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

Good LORD the WR draft grades are all over the place.  Prior to the senior bowl, wasn't AJ Brown the 'best' WR prospect in the draft?   And didnt Deebo get 1st round grades DURING the senior bowl as he was impressing all the coaches?  

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Good LORD the WR draft grades are all over the place.  Prior to the senior bowl, wasn't AJ Brown the 'best' WR prospect in the draft?   And didnt Deebo get 1st round grades DURING the senior bowl as he was impressing all the coaches?  

As for AJ Brown I recall him being the top guy more so early-mid last college season and then buzz started building among other things that Metcalf is better.  Metcalf and M. Brown seem to be the consensus first rounders now.  AJ Brown is typically in the 2nd in most mocks now that I've noticed.    As for Deebo some launched him into the late first post senior bowl but still mostly kept in the 2nd.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for AJ Brown I recall him being the top guy more so early-mid last college season and then buzz started building among other things that Metcalf is better.  Metcalf and M. Brown seem to be the consensus first rounders now.  AJ Brown is typically in the 2nd in most mocks now that I've noticed.    As for Deebo some launched him into the late first post senior bowl but still mostly kept in the 2nd.

Yeah AJ Brown fell from grace rather quick though didnt he?  (Granted falling to the 2nd round isn't exactly falling from grace).  

Can someone explain the Nick Bosa thing to me? I've watched his cutups and he's obviously a good pass rusher but I don't really see anything completely jaw-dropping about him. Why has he basically been gifted the #1 overall spot in pretty much every mock draft? He's had decent stats but nothing overwhelming and he's coming off of a season ending injury. Am I just completely missing something? Is it because of his name?

18 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Yeah AJ Brown fell from grace rather quick though didnt he?  (Granted falling to the 2nd round isn't exactly falling from grace).  

He's been out of the first round in most mocks I've seen for months.  But yeah he was the dude I recall early-mid year in 2018 during the season.  I recall though a little of the buildup when he started slipping -- started with Metcalf being the better receiver according to most and then Brown started slipping. 

Edit:

I'll add though I still see AJ Brown sometimes in the late first.  He's mostly 2nd but on occasion late first.    

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Can someone explain the Nick Bosa thing to me? I've watched his cutups and he's obviously a good pass rusher but I don't really see anything completely jaw-dropping about him. Why has he basically been gifted the #1 overall spot in pretty much every mock draft? He's had decent stats but nothing overwhelming and he's coming off of a season ending injury. Am I just completely missing something? Is it because of his name?

Maybe so. I don't see anything 1st overall special about him either.

Quennin Williams deserves to be in the conversation about #1 overall. His lack of starting time hurts him a bit, but his hand and footwork being in sync along with his quick first step and power are awesome. The guy is obviously well coached and a superior talent.

The Skill Players

• General consensus: One back (Josh Jacobs of Alabama) in the top 20. There’s a feel that, in a league when 2016 Offensive Rookie of the Year Alvin Kamara was the 67th pick in a draft and 2016 NFL rushing champion Kareem Hunt was the 86th that you’re fine getting a good back—like Florida Atlantic’s Devin Singletary or Iowa State’s David Montgomery or Penn State’s Miles Sanders—somewhere between picks 40 and 100. “Running back value is in the second to the fifth round,” Kiper said.

• As for wideouts, it’s another deep year in the second and third rounds. Oklahoma’s Brown and Mississippi’s D.K. Metcalf lead the way on Jeremiah’s board.

• Interesting that Jeremiah has three tight ends among his top 25 players: Iowa’s T.J. Hockenson (5), Iowa’s Noah Fant (23) and Alabama Irv Smith Jr. (25). Yes, that’s two tight ends from Iowa in the first-round conversation. Fant will likely be the fastest tight end at the combine; he has run 4.64, And Hockenson is athletic with a Mark Bavaro-blocking streak. Add to that the fact that NFL teams love players from Iowa because they value coach Kirk Ferentz NFL-preparedness training. No school has ever produced two first-round tight ends in the same year.

The Passers

Not the quality of 2018, when quarterbacks went 1-3-7-10-32 in round one. On his big board, Jeremiah has Kyler Murray 14th, Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins 18th, Missouri’s Drew Lock 26th and Duke’s Daniel Jones 32nd. Those are ratings, not a projection of where Jeremiah thinks they’ll go.

• I’m hearing Haskins and Murray, in some order, are solid top 10 picks. “Haskins is a pure pocket passer,” Jeremiah said. “If he were to have come out 10 years ago, we’d be talking about him as a surefire top five pick … He just doesn’t move around very well. When he has to move off his spot he really struggles.”

• Jeremiah loves Lock’s arm but not his overall mechanics. “His feet are kind of all over the place,” he said.

• On Jones, Jeremiah thinks his grade will be mixed on different draft boards, with team that want a power arm downgrading him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/25/nfl-combine-2019-nick-bosa-kyler-murray-rashan-gary?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Just noticed Matt Miller has Brown at the top of his board at WR and lists him as a riser.  So maybe he's rising back up.  😀  Assuming post combine we will see several shake ups.  And I don't think shake ups in mocks are purely combine number driven but also based on hearing things directly from scouts so maybe its partly on them getting a better beat on who they like.

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

The name is a part of it.  He has a polished pass rush repertoire like his brother.  He also has the size and build of a prototypical rusher and he has ideal hip and ankle flexibility for the position.  His build and athleticism are rare.

I think he's being a little overrated though.  And I think Josh Allen is clearly a better player than him.  Bosa's play recognition skills are surprisingly weak for a guy with his bloodlines.  He doesn't see the field well, doesn't find the football.  Reacts rather than playing instinctive football like Allen.  It's why his career production is unimpressive given his natural talent level and advanced skill development.

I think he'll be a probowl caliber edge rusher, which is worth its weight in gold.  Hence I think he's a worthy top five to top six pick.  But he's not special like Allen is.  And he's not as good or as valuable as Murray or Haskins are IMO.  I would take him no higher than fourth, and I would probably take both Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver ahead of him.  He's sixth on my big board, behind those five players.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

The name is a part of it.  He has a polished pass rush repertoire like his brother.  He also has the size and build of a prototypical rusher and he has ideal hip and ankle flexibility for the position.  His build and athleticism are rare.

I think he's being a little overrated though.  And I think Josh Allen is clearly a better player than him.  Bosa's play recognition skills are surprisingly weak for a guy with his bloodlines.  He doesn't see the field well, doesn't find the football.  Reacts rather than playing instinctive football like Allen.  It's why his career production is unimpressive given his natural talent level and advanced skill development.

I think he'll be a probowl caliber edge rusher, which is worth its weight in gold.  Hence I think he's a worthy top five to top six pick.  But he's not special like Allen is.  And he's not as good or as valuable as Murray or Haskins are IMO.  I would take him no higher than fourth, and I would probably take both Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver ahead of him.  He's sixth on my big board, behind those five players.

Thank you. Exactly what I was thinking. Allen is better. Better athlete. More productive. More versatile. 

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

He was really, really overrated going into the year.  The film didn't match the projections of draft value.

His best case scenario is something like Anquan Boldin, but he was being mocked in the top ten.  That's good, but not top ten good.  Boldin was a late second round pick.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He was really, really overrated going into the year.  The film didn't match the projections of draft value.

His best case scenario is something like Anquan Boldin, but he was being mocked in the top ten.  That's good, but not top ten good.  Boldin was a late second round pick.

Boldin could play outside though.  Jarvis Landry also went in the 2nd round, though I think Landry had better footwork.

I only saw one of Brown's games and was thoroughly unimpressed.  I don't think he's going to test well at the combine, and I think he's not someone you can really move around to the numbers or wider.  Where do you draft someone like that?  2nd seems the highest.  3rd?  4th?  I assume he'll contribute in the NFL, but I don't know how much.

The further in we get, the more people have begun recognizing Murray's quality and value, and the more convinced I am that the only QB who will be left for us at 15 is Daniel Jones.  I think Murray and Haskins go top five, Lock goes top ten, and Jones is our pick at 15.

I feel this will be a reach, but the QB position isn't graded on a BPA tier system like the other positions.  It's much more of a yes or no grade, and if yes, then they end up in their own tier.

As far as the personality concerns go, those don't really worry me.  I think he'll be smart, low maintenance, professional, and reliable.  I think the biggest thing he has going for him compared to the other QB prospects is that he is by far the toughest QB in the class.  Murray is super tough too, but he doesn't have Jones's big rugged frame to take a comparable level of beating.  Lock OTOH seems a bit finicky to me.  Lock is a cerebral QB in the mold of Blaine Gabbert and Jared Goff and there is a host of good and bad attributes that come with that.

Put another way, Jones's personality reminds me of Brandon Scherff's.  He plays the position with courage.  He's just not that talented.  Damned if he doesn't seem like Eli Manning with real open field speed and running ability.  That's an upgrade over a healthy Alex Smith.  But if we're starting over at the position and spending a first round pick, I was hoping for a bigger upgrade than getting the running version of Eli.

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The further in we get, the more people have begun recognizing Murray's quality and value, and the more convinced I am that the only QB who will be left for us at 15 is Daniel Jones.  I think Murray and Haskins go top five, Lock goes top ten, and Jones is our pick at 15.

I feel this will be a reach, but the QB position isn't graded on a BPA tier system like the other positions.  It's much more of a yes or no grade, and if yes, then they end up in their own tier.

As far as the personality concerns go, those don't really worry me.  I think he'll be smart, low maintenance, professional, and reliable.  I think the biggest thing he has going for him compared to the other QB prospects is that he is by far the toughest QB in the class.  Murray is super tough too, but he doesn't have Jones's big rugged frame to take a comparable level of beating.  Lock OTOH seems a bit finicky to me.  Lock is a cerebral QB in the mold of Blaine Gabbert and Jared Goff and there is a host of good and bad attributes that come with that.

Put another way, Jones's personality reminds me of Brandon Scherff's.  He plays the position with courage.  He's just not that talented.  Damned if he doesn't seem like Eli Manning with real open field speed and running ability.  That's an upgrade over a healthy Alex Smith.  But if we're starting over at the position and spending a first round pick, I was hoping for a bigger upgrade than getting the running version of Eli.

They are not of the same caliber as prospects. I've never seen a player with the poor completion percentage, YPA, TD and INT, and poor yardage numbers be a success in the NFL. Can anyone name someone with stats as bad as those of Jones, who has gone on to be a success? Even just looking at YPA, Manning was leagues better. And Jones doesn't have some bazooka for an arm that makes you think maybe you can squeeze more out of him. His arm looks terrible to me. 

The only criticism I don't share about Jones is that I don't care that he is quiet. I don't think it makes much difference if you can get into the right play, make the right pre-snap read, read a defense and hit an open receiver. Jones has shown no evidence that he can do that. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/daniel-jones-4.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/eli-manning-1.html

15 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

They are not of the same caliber as prospects. I've never seen a player with the poor completion percentage, YPA, TD and INT, and poor yardage numbers be a success in the NFL. Can anyone name someone with stats as bad as those of Jones, who has gone on to be a success? Even just looking at YPA, Manning was leagues better. And Jones doesn't have some bazooka for an arm that makes you think maybe you can squeeze more out of him. His arm looks terrible to me. 

Their numbers are close, particularly once you account for the fact that Jones missed two games.  Add 60-70 attempts and his JR numbers look a lot like Eli's SR year numbers.  The biggest difference between them, by far, is the rushing production.  And the other thing going in Jones's favor is that Eli was a year and a half older when he came out.  Jones is better at 21 than Eli was.

If Eli came out today, and his last name wasn't Manning, with his college resume there is just no way he'd still be considered a top 5 caliber blue chip QB prospect like he was (erroneously) considered in 2004.  His career has born that assessment out too.  He'd be in the same boat as Jones as a kind of fringey first to second round pick.

Another thing that rubs me the wrong way about Bosa is that both he and his brother come off as mercenaries who very much treat football like a business.  I don't think they have that extra gear to their game that the true greats who live and breath football seem to have.  People like Donald and Watt and Polamalu and Kuechly.

It's not that they're difficult or high maintenance, and you can be difficult and still be special.  James Harrison for example.  Richard Sherman is another one.  Seems like being difficult and being a football genius often go hand in hand actually.

And I realize that this is nitpicky.  You can be almost completely certain that if you pick Nick Bosa and if he doesn't get hurt, then he will be a pro-bowl edge rusher.  And that absolutely justifies him being a top ten pick.  It's just that I don't think he has that elite gear that the true greats have, and I think that Allen and Oliver do.  And I think Quinnen Williams might as well.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If Jones is there at 15. I really think we'd be better off taking BPA. It's no secret that I think Grier will be a much better than QB than anyone in this draft other than Murray.  Moxie, good arm strength, mobilty and  accuracy.

I am leading the parade of the being anti-Jones on this thread.  So I'll stay on message.  I've been wrong before naturally so I am not swearing by anything but I'll risk looking like the fool if he turns into some elite or very good QB.  😀 I am not saying anyone is saying otherwise.  But my take is I can see the dude as ultimately some marginal WCO guy who is sort of a poor man's Alex Smith at best.  So I can see him as a marginal starter but i'd be really surprised if the dude is a top half of the league guy.  I wouldn't care if they took him as one of the projects we talk about in the 2nd-3rd round.  But in the first round, to me, mega yuck. 😀

Eli Manning's last season versus Daniel Jones

Eli: 29 TDs-10 Ints     Jones 16-9

Eli    YPA 8.2              Jones  6.8 

Eli  Comp  62.4          Jones  60.5

8.2 is decent for YPA.  6.8 isn't.  Eli is close to the magic number as to a 3:1 TD-INT ratio that some say scouts look for from college qbs.  Jones doesn't even pull off a 2:1 ratio.

And the kicker is everything else.   Daniel Jones was one of the most sacked Qbs in college.  He led the draft eligible QBs in lost fumbles.  He has a large number of tipped balls.  The fact that he missed some games makes all of this even worse considering he accomplished this with a smaller sample.  And he's got an injury history.   He was charted as having poor accuracy after 10 yards.  At the senior bowl, people complained about his reluctance to throw in tight windows.   And scouts say he has average arm strength at best.

I think his really awkward and quiet personality if anything has done him a favor because its helped fuel the Eli comparison.  Most of the time when I hear the Eli comparisons its his personality and about Cutcliffe not as much as to tit for tat play style comparisons. 

I think the personality comparison is an insult to Eli.  Eli to me is Tom Cruise and James Bond wrapped up in one as for a personality versus what I've seen from Daniel Jones.  Jones is beyond just quiet he has a rep with some of being soft spoken and socially awkward.  There is a reason why his personality continues to be brought up by draft geeks and that is because its an unusual one for a QB.    If the dude was a TE no one would care.  But for QB it typically matters at least as one variable in the soup.

And I agree I can deal with his personality if the dude just killed it otherwise.  But that's not the case.    And Bruce Arians among others are as nerdy as it gets as for explaining what he likes in a QB as to their specific play and I've listed some of his nuts and bolts keys for QBs on this thread -- but from what he describes as to what he likes in a QB, Jones' personality would be a major red flag for someone like him.  He thinks a QBs personality is a big deal and at least a key variable in the evaluation.   But I agree if the dude was a great player you can overlook a QB who admits before he even steps on an NFL field that he's not a vocal leader.  With Jones there is a lot IMO you have to overlook -- and his shy-awkward personality to me is the cherry on top in a bad way. 

I can see a ball control Alex Smith style offense -- hitches, shallow crossers-digs, slants, screens, etc.  But unlike Alex, Jones actually is turnover prone.  That's why it escapes me how he will be this short throwing-quick game WCO stud.   But maybe I am missing it. 

Archived