Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25209748/rb-adrian-peterson-upbeat-washington-redskins-offensive-line-injuries

"You've just got to stay positive and keep pressing," said Peterson, the NFL's ninth all-time leading rusher. "It's not the end of the world, and it's not the end of the season for us. We all have to perform better. That's the mindset that I have. ... There's something different when you lose three starters to where your mindset shifts to, 'I just gotta do more than what I was doing before.'"

...The Redskins use a lot of different run schemes; Peterson said opponents sometimes express amazement to him after games over the diversity of Washington's rushing attack. The Redskins use inside and outside zone as well as power gap schemes. They'll pull the guards; they use jet-sweep action to slow backside pursuit.

They're hoping that's one reason Peterson can still succeed.

"A lot of times that helps you because you have the ability to run gap scheme or zone scheme, whatever it may be," said center Chase Roullier, the only original starter healthy enough to practice Wednesday. "And you can run it based on what the new guys coming in are better at. You can adjust the game plan with that, depending on how that goes. I don't think there's going to be any issue plugging those guys in and continuing to win games."

But Peterson also has discussed how much he has had to learn in this offense, from the style of the run plays to taking handoffs out of pistol or shotgun formation. He has carried a career-high 44 times out of gun formation, averaging 4.16 yards per carry -- his best stat out of that look since 2013. Gruden said Peterson's comfort level on these runs is more about him taking the right path and less about those who are blocking.

"He's getting more comfortable," Gruden said. "We still have downhill runs and will get him going on those, too. The big thing with him is being patient with his reads. Obviously we'd rather have Brandon and Trent in there. But [Peterson] is still going to read it out. If reading inside zone,

I'm pressing the line and reading one gap at a time ... Hopefully he doesn't have to read a three-technique [defensive lineman] in the backfield."

The Redskins only had a long walk-through Wednesday, wanting to get through more plays than usual to help the new players acclimate faster. So Peterson couldn't get any timing down with them, something he said he'll try to do Thursday and Friday.

"Once we get going to another tempo that I can say little things to them I might see or notice that I'd like them to do differently or might work better," he said. "Right now it's just getting to know those guys and talking to them so they feel more comfortable. But most importantly just knowing that they're going out and playing hard and fast is what we really need right now."

One change could be less pulling action from the linemen. That's an area where Scherff excelled, and without him it might become a reduced part of the plan. But just running the same plays doesn't mean Peterson will have the same success. There have been times he has made his blockers look good; there were other times his blockers put him in a position to do well -- and once he gets past the first wave, his jump cuts lead to more yards.

When Peterson arrived in August, he bemoaned the situation he found himself in with Arizona last season -- running behind a makeshift line. However, the feeling has always been that Washington's backups were better than the Cardinals' starters. That theory will be tested.

"It's always hard to tell [in practice] because it's not live action," Peterson said. "You always say the play looked great in practice when you draw it up and when you run through it in practice. But when you've got guys coming 100 miles an hour, things change. We have confidence in the guys we had here before we brought in these guys. The new guys have to step up."

I would suggest avoiding the topic of whether his discipline is appropriate or not or it will devolve into pointless debate and likely some heated opinions that have nothing to do with football. Regardless, how stupid is he to open his mouth about it given his history? I wouldn't be surprised if a suspension is announced tomorrow morning. 

The NFL will not suspend AP for this. My question though is why did John Keim make this a story tonight? He is one of the DC media members that gets so worked up when they are called out for reporting the team in the negative way. This is a shady article to put out tonight knowing that this team could possibly start to tailspin starting tomorrow. 

well....i'm already getting in the mindset that the league will **** us over and suspend him the rest of the year, because **** us, right? and we'll have to rely on.....perine? or bibs/marshall as our RBs the rest of the season. 

hopefully the league does nothing with this information. ughh why did Peterson even feel the need to publicly admit that? WHY? 

The daggers are definitely out, some of the twitter reporters are advocating for their camps.

I don't see how this thread can work out if people focus on discussing Peterson's parenting, so not going to wade into that. I do think that aside from the turbulence, Peterson won't get suspended. He hasn't actually been charged with anything because it's just an interview, and I doubt the NFL will go out of its way to trash their feel-good story in an old veteran breaking records. He'll probably be talked about through the weekend and then the story will promptly be forgotten.

OK, I'm a little confused or lacking in the info dept.

Peterson said in an interview that he disciplines his kids different ways, one of which is a belt?

If this is the case, then the league cannot touch him, not even frown on him for it.

There would have to be some form of video of him doing this or one or more of his children reporting it to a teacher or CPS or something on that line.

Keep in mind, IF its Peterson just talking, there is no proof, he could be telling a lie, and the league cannot afford to open investigations off of it or apply any disciplinary action to him; they would be risking this info being a lie and then facing not only public scrutiny but a possible lawsuit from Peterson himself.

In other words, its a rumor un-based, that's called a witch hunt.

Archived